Argentina Air Force News and Discussion

swerve

Super Moderator
Yes, from what I've read the NATO consortium F-16s have pushed life extensions a hell of a long way. I can't judge it's accuracy, of course, but I've read that they couldn't be flown hard for long, & even with gentle use probably have only a fairly short life.

koxinga

So Argentina got ex Denmark F-16, seems there's enough 2nd hand F-16 ex Euro that's not going to Ukrainian. I remember certain MinDef official from certain ASEAN country that say no 2nd hand F-16 available, as all 2nd hand F-16 available (especially ex NATO that's been done MLU upgrade) slote for Ukrainian.
They got approval / no objections from the US on the possible transfer of ex-Danish F-16s (Blk 10/15). But whether they have the funds (USD 338 million) is not clear, since the budget documents in 2024 suggest no such budget exist.

The Argentinian Defense Ministry is presenting a fait accompli to the civilian government that "hey, the US has approved this, if you don't pony up the cash, it will make us look bad" situation.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm definitely thinking that buying a jet trainer brand new would have been a better idea. Any Danish or Netherlands F16's would be on their dog-ends - fine for transfer to Ukraine, where attrition is likely within a few months but as a working core for an air force like Argentina ? I hope they buy plenty of spares with the package.

Sandhi Yudha

Choosing trainers like L39NG or T-50 is indeed a much better idea, but Argentina just has the bad luck that most Western/Asian US-allies made jet trainers contains British made ejection seats. The original L39 had the Czech-built VS-1 ejection seat, but i don't know about the L-39NG.

For Martin-Baker free content Argentina is perhaps forced to buy chinese or Russian jet trainers.

koxinga

Choosing trainers like L39NG or T-50 is indeed a much better idea, but Argentina just has the bad luck that most Western/Asian US-allies made jet trainers contains British made ejection seats. The original L39 had the Czech-built VS-1 ejection seat, but i don't know about the L-39NG.

For Martin-Baker free content Argentina is perhaps forced to buy chinese or Russian jet trainers.
The requirement is to fufill an air sovereignty / QRA need across the country, which will require a supersonic platform. The L39NG /turbofan will not fit this role due to the subsonic nature and it is somewhat similar to their own IA-63 Pampa.

Reportedly, the reasons for not favoring the JF-17 is because the dual seater is Block 2, while the single seater is Block 3, and they were concerned about maintaining different versions. There is not a lot of choices for them, even if they had the budget.

Sandhi Yudha

The requirement is to fufill an air sovereignty / QRA need across the country, which will require a supersonic platform. The L39NG /turbofan will not fit this role due to the subsonic nature and it is somewhat similar to their own IA-63 Pampa.

Reportedly, the reasons for not favoring the JF-17 is because the dual seater is Block 2, while the single seater is Block 3, and they were concerned about maintaining different versions. There is not a lot of choices for them, even if they had the budget.
As far as i know, Martin-Baker PK16LE ejection seats are installed in the JF-17.

I was about to suggest the Korean T50 but I checked and they are also infected with the Martin Baker virus of export controls. Damn our cunning imperial long-game is good :)
Big chance that the AIDC T-5 also has the Martin-Baker disease... how about the Boeing/Saab T-7?

The HESA Yasin is maybe Martin-Baker free... but then its better to stay with the IA-63 Pampa.

Last edited:

koxinga

As far as i know, Martin-Baker PK16LE ejection seats are installed in the JF-17.
The Chinese has a full range of domestic ejection seats, so replacing and certifiying them isn't a problem.

The Indians claim to be replacing the Martin Bakers on their Tejas with Russian seats. American engine, Indian airframe/avionics, Russian ejector seats. Not exactly the maintainable mix for an Airforce with budget issues and a small fleet.

koxinga

The F-16 deal is still in motion. However, even if the deal was signed, it still depends on Argentina funding it. Alot can happen before the first planes hit the tarmac.

Further information on the composition of the deal. The willingness of the US to offer the sale of JHMC, 9X, 120Ds and pods are a surprise. Even the Egyptians do have not such generous terms from Uncle Sam.

The contract with Denmark, for 338 million dollars, includes 24 aircraft in flying condition, a disassembled F-16 Block 10 aircraft for training ground personnel, eight spare engines, target designation and reconnaissance pods, equipment electronic warfare, helmets with Joint helmet mounted cueing system (JHMCS), tools, spare parts, personnel training and other equipment.

If the planned schedule is maintained, this year the specimen would be delivered for ground training and in 2025 four two-seaters and two single-seaters would arrive in Argentina, to be followed by six single-seaters in 2026, another two and the remaining two-seaters in 2027 and the last six single-seaters in 2028.

On the other hand, progress is expected in the signing of a contract for 312 million dollars with the United States government for weapons, which includes AIM-9X Sidewinder missiles, AIM-120D AMRAAM and air-surface weapons and pods that the Air Force Argentina has asked

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

The first F-16 Fighting Falcons are planned for arrival in 2025, and will be assigned to Grupo Aéreo 6 de Caza (G6C) at Tandil Air Base in the Buenos Aires Province.

I expected that the new fighters wil replace the A-4AR Skyhawks but it seems the F-16s will replace the IA-63 Pampa II and Pampa III.

koxinga

I expected that the new fighters wil replace the A-4AR Skyhawks but it seems the F-16s will replace the IA-63 Pampa II and Pampa III.
What the statement means is Grupo Aéreo 6 de Caza (G6C) will be converted/reequipped to operate F-16s. The IA-63 Pampa II and Pampa III are probably going to another squadron.

The F-16s are indeed meant to replace the Fightinghawks, which has low availability anyway.