ANZAC Joint HQ/force

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
we do have Kiwis embedded out at B1, (as we do US, UK, Canada and then an intermittent revolving gate of some of our near neighbours...

so these kinds of discussions are near and present every day in some form or fashion

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Out of curiousity, how different (if at all) is the philosophy in naval operations between the RAN and RNZN?

One area where I have been looking at potential efficiencies between the ADF and NZDF is in some of the training, support and logistical areas. Therefore I was curious just how different some of the basic seamanship training and operations is between the two navies.

So far, I am pondering a some form of joint or integrating training scheme between the two countries. More to follow.

-Cheers

mattyem

Out of curiousity, how different (if at all) is the philosophy in naval operations between the RAN and RNZN?

One area where I have been looking at potential efficiencies between the ADF and NZDF is in some of the training, support and logistical areas. Therefore I was curious just how different some of the basic seamanship training and operations is between the two navies.

So far, I am pondering a some form of joint or integrating training scheme between the two countries. More to follow.

-Cheers
We share alot of the same training and reference manuals,

BR's (book of reference which originate from the RN and we both still use many of these manuals with supplements and amended sections to be more specific to us)

In NZ we use alot of ABR's (Australian Books of Reference, these mainly relate to the ANZAC's)

I have been on several cross decks with the Australian ships (im currently serving as an engineer in the RNZN) and have found at times a virtually seamless integration. Likewise when we had Aussies come aboard us for a few days its almost no different than going between ship classes in your own navy.

Also all the chaps I know who have done the ANZAC exchange program (where we send a few pers from each navy to go spend six months across the ditch) and the biggest difference they really saw was the slightly different names of the branches/trades in the navies, and that was no issue after a wek or two.

Though there is no joint training program, our affiliation with the RN has mwnt that our training is largely very similar as the reference manuals used and lessons learnt have come from our parent the RN.

Also while on ex overseas our sea check teams often meet swap ideas methods and methodology with filters down to the sailors