Ambitious modernization plan of the Bangladeshi Military

sajib71

Hey do you have any news regarding the f-22 frigates that were supposed to be commissioned this year? As far as I know workshops for the c802 missiles(for f-22) are being built. So any chance of jf-17 as they also support this missiles. Also pls explain the new multi layered AD system.

skhan

Hi guys......was a bit busy with other stuff but surely kept reading your posts and each one of them are more interesting than the other........i'm definitely hoping anyone of you can give some more info on our nuclear power deal with Russia is it coming through or simply lots of talk and our possibilities of sending a satellite into orbit.

I'm also very interested to know more about the air defence systems to be procured though(lol) i still feel we should have a hot air balloon or a solar powered plane like the ones recently tested to hover around high in the air for surveillance. Lastly, offcourse i got to mention this here....it would be super duper for Bangladesh to have large radar site like the ones i know of being operated by Russia and China that scan upto ranges as far as 3000 or 5000km and can detect anything flying be it a jet or missiles. Though this can't happen at the moment and primarily because of the geography coz they are mostly built into giant mountains...it would be dumb to simply scan the bay of bengal but someday we may need to better protect ourselves given we finish our Millenium Development Goals and reach another sphere of developing nations maybe.

Its great to know BAF also wants the J10B coz that is the way to go for us instead of the high cost junk from Russia and the even higher costly crap from the west. The very reason i feel Bangladesh forging good deals with China will help shape its own future coz lets face it China is now starting to show in its own modest way what its made of and we stand to benefit if we tag along with them for sometime until we have our own capability and maybe turn into another little Big Britain or Japan.

Okay thats it for now but its also great to hear that FC-1 are most probably going to replace the F-7 but i'm not totally for it coz already the ***** have it and the Indian's already figured out ways to out do that tin can. ok...thats it from me adios and Salams to all!

STURM

Its great to know BAF also wants the J10B coz that is the way to go for us instead of the high cost junk from Russia and the even higher costly crap from the west.
There are certain advantages of operating ''costly crap from the west''. I make no pretense at being an expert on Made in China defence products. Whether it's camo uniforms, small arms, lorries, jets, submarines, etc, Chinese companies can meet all the needs of any military, but there are still certain items [if the decision was mine] I would rather source from the West. Similiarly, if the cash was available I'm sure Bangladeshi decision makers and defence planners would like to acquire certain items made in the E.U. or the U.S.

Lastly and this is not targetted against any country, but please why on earth don't we have any submarines. We need to give other navies or pirates a clear message not to mess with our commercial vessels, i haven't been able to track wht exactly happend to the vessel hijacked recently by the somali pirates. But given south korean's freed their vessel there is no reason why our navy should not be able to do the same.
It's a matter of threat perceptions and economics. Not only are submarines expensive to buy they are also expensive to operate. A shore support and training intrastructure will also have to be established.

But given south korean's freed their vessel there is no reason why our navy should not be able to do the same.
Plus side of having a strong navy is that you defend your commercial interests in the high seas and that in turn pays with more countries willing to do business with you.
If a Bangladeshi naval ship with special forces embarked was in the area I don't see why it would not be able to do the same. No offence but South Korea has a biggger economy and is better able to fund out of area deployments. Due to having a larger navy it can deploy assets in the Gulf of Aden without reducing it's ability to meet it's comittments at home.

There has been a lot of talk about what Bangladesh operates and what it should buy, etc, nothing wrong with that. For the benefit of those who are not very familiar with Bangladesh, perhaps the Bangladeshi's here could provide more insight into the threat perceptions of Bangladesh, it's disputes with it's neighbours, etc,?

Last edited:

T.C.P

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi guys......was a bit busy with other stuff but surely kept reading your posts and each one of them are more interesting than the other........i'm definitely hoping anyone of you can give some more info on our nuclear power deal with Russia is it coming through or simply lots of talk and our possibilities of sending a satellite into orbit.

I'm also very interested to know more about the air defence systems to be procured though(lol) i still feel we should have a hot air balloon or a solar powered plane like the ones recently tested to hover around high in the air for surveillance. Lastly, offcourse i got to mention this here....it would be super duper for Bangladesh to have large radar site like the ones i know of being operated by Russia and China that scan upto ranges as far as 3000 or 5000km and can detect anything flying be it a jet or missiles. Though this can't happen at the moment and primarily because of the geography coz they are mostly built into giant mountains...it would be dumb to simply scan the bay of bengal but someday we may need to better protect ourselves given we finish our Millenium Development Goals and reach another sphere of developing nations maybe.

Its great to know BAF also wants the J10B coz that is the way to go for us instead of the high cost junk from Russia and the even higher costly crap from the west. The very reason i feel Bangladesh forging good deals with China will help shape its own future coz lets face it China is now starting to show in its own modest way what its made of and we stand to benefit if we tag along with them for sometime until we have our own capability and maybe turn into another little Big Britain or Japan.

Okay thats it for now but its also great to hear that FC-1 are most probably going to replace the F-7 but i'm not totally for it coz already the ***** have it and the Indian's already figured out ways to out do that tin can. ok...thats it from me adios and Salams to all!
First of all Western air craft aren't in any way crap. They just dont suit our needs(If they do they are too darn expensive)
I am not too excited about the Fc-1s euther, but with funding being directed to the multi layered AD system, we can't afford any 4.5 gen air craft at the moment.

T.C.P

Hey do you have any news regarding the f-22 frigates that were supposed to be commissioned this year? As far as I know workshops for the c802 missiles(for f-22) are being built. So any chance of jf-17 as they also support this missiles. Also pls explain the new multi layered AD system.
The frigates were ordered in 2010, they are not second hand so it will be sometime till they are built and handed over. The Fc-1 is Chinese and I don't see why they can't operate the C-802.

FYI the C-704 has beeen successfully tested in the recent excercise and will replace all the missile systems on our FACMs.

T.C.P

There are certain advantages of operating ''costly crap from the west''. I make no pretense at being an expert on Made in China defence products. Whether it's camo uniforms, small arms, lorries, jets, submarines, etc, Chinese companies can meet all the needs of any military, but there are still certain items [if the decision was mine] I would rather source from the West. Similiarly, if the cash was available I'm sure Bangladeshi decision makers and defence planners would like to acquire certain items made in the E.U. or the U.S.

It's a matter of threat perceptions and economics. Not only are submarines expensive to buy they are also expensive to operate. A shore support and training intrastructure will also have to be established.

If a Bangladeshi naval ship with special forces embarked was in the area I don't see why it would not be able to do the same. No offence but South Korea has a biggger economy and is better able to fund out of area deployments. Due to having a larger navy it can deploy assets in the Gulf of Aden without reducing it's ability to meet it's comittments at home.

There has been a lot of talk about what Bangladesh operates and what it should buy, etc, nothing wrong with that. For the benefit of those who are not very familiar with Bangladesh, perhaps the Bangladeshi's here could provide more insight into the threat perceptions of Bangladesh, it's disputes with it's neighbours, etc,?
You have made an excellent reply.

Now about our threats, the armed Forces of Bangladesh are extremely India Phoebic, even though chances of war with India are less than zero, ever sice 1972, our entire defence structure had been designed to protect BD from an Indian onslaught( although war against Inida was more realistic in the 70s and early 80s due to political reasons) In modern day the Bangladeshi armed forces have changed their structure, they are more worried about Myanmar than India, but the India fear still remains very strong. The Navy has received a boost after the maritime boundary incident with Myanmar in 2008, it was a wake up call for Dhaka, Being situated in one of he most hostile and volatile regions on the planet and sharing a border with a failed state run by Psychotic military rulers doesn't exactly help our situation.
To top it all of, we have Maritime boundary issues and land border issues with India and myanmar.

T.C.P

I posted that the L-159 was the BAF's favourite, but the fact that so few are operated has been giving the BAF cold feet, they are worried about not receiving spare parts and other services properly.

skhan

Hi all......i'm still wondering if anyone could add a little info here about Bangladesh's nuclear power deal with Russia did it come through and also about the steps the current govt. made to sending that satellite.....thanks all..bye

T.C.P

Hi all......i'm still wondering if anyone could add a little info here about Bangladesh's nuclear power deal with Russia did it come through and also about the steps the current govt. made to sending that satellite.....thanks all..bye
My friend you are a Bangladeshi and you should know better, the govt will talk about this deal for another 20 years trying to steal as much cash as possible before delivering anything. As for the satellite, unless the military takes part in that project or some private organization does something like this on its own, it will never be a reality.

T.C.P

Apparently the Bangladeshi Army ordered 100 Type-96G MBTs.Ukrainian KMDB 6TD-2 6-cylinder diesel engines were bought for the tanks as a part of the their modernisation to fill our requirements. I don't know much about these engines, if any one does can they post a link please?

EDIT- sorry, a guy posted wrong information, no Type-96G orders from us as of yet, but Ukrainian engines are being bought for upgrading existing tanks.

Last edited:

T.C.P

here are the following criteria for the new MBTs of the Bangladeshi army

a. 3rd generation
b. easy of maintain and secured source of spare parts
c. ease of conversion and training
d. future scope of locally producing parts/overhaul/low maintenance cost
e. bilateral and defense procurement relationship
f. the ultimate decision given by PM's Defense Adviser (off the record)

There have been some rumours(albeit some solid ones) that the MBT-2000 could be ordered and some 44 procured within a short time.
How ever with so many false reports about new MBTs for the BD army, I won't believe any until I see the new Tanks in Bangladesh in the Bangladeshi army colours.

T.C.P

Aren't they getting Type-69Gs?
I think you meant Type-96Gs. Yeah, so many rumours have been circulating on that but no confirmed order as of yet. Although I did confirm the fact that BA personnel went to China to train on and evaluate the Type-96G and sent back very good reports.

The race is still open (though only for Chinese 3rd gen tanks)

eastwatch

I think you meant Type-96Gs. Yeah, so many rumours have been circulating on that but no confirmed order as of yet. Although I did confirm the fact that BA personnel went to China to train on and evaluate the Type-96G and sent back very good reports.

The race is still open (though only for Chinese 3rd gen tanks)
What is the present purchasing status of T-96G tanks for bangladesh army?

T.C.P

What is the present purchasing status of T-96G tanks for bangladesh army?
There are lots of rumours out there, but I won't post anything until I get something solid, as everything else is pretty much trash.

eastwatch

I heard that all the F-7MBs are to be upgraded to F-7BG grade, but will be equipped not with BVR, but with Laser Guided Bombs (LGB). Now,. LGBs are good only for a ground role. If new F-7BGs are also equipped with LGBs, then can it be assumed that there will be purchases of other multi-role or fighter planes? I have read in a Chinese blog that Bangladesh wants to buy j-10 fighters and is now negotiating with China. Is there any internal BAF information about this?

T.C.P

I heard that all the F-7MBs are to be upgraded to F-7BG grade, but will be equipped not with BVR, but with Laser Guided Bombs (LGB). Now,. LGBs are good only for a ground role. If new F-7BGs are also equipped with LGBs, then can it be assumed that there will be purchases of other multi-role or fighter planes? I have read in a Chinese blog that Bangladesh wants to buy j-10 fighters and is now negotiating with China. Is there any internal BAF information about this?
We already operate a sq of F-7BGs but these are new made and not upgrades of existing F-7MBs, the BAF is purchasing another sq of F-7BGs.
Yes the F-7s willl not be BVR capable but will use LGBs.

As for air craft procuremnt, BAF is very interested in the J-10B and this will not be available till 2015. The FC-1 is also being considered. There have been reports of the BAF going for another sq of MIG-29s, but nothing solid here as well. i do know how ever that the BAf really wants Flankers, the Su-27SKm and the Su-30MKKs are the BAF's top favourites and due to our reemerging military ties with Russia( and SK Hasina's love for Russian air craft) this could become a reality.

How ever funds are streched at the moment due to the huge costs of the planned integrated air defense system.

The FC-1 has a good shot here as it is Chinese air craft, but China's lack of interest in the platfform has raised doubts.

T.C.P

The Defece budge for FY-2011-2013t was released yesterday and it now stands at 7.3% of the national budget, which is 13000 million taka more. The budget is now over 1.7 billion USD.

Note that this si not the procurement bidget which is seperate, this is the just the budget for maintainance and salaries.

Twinblade

The Defece budge for FY-2011-2013t was released yesterday and it now stands at 7.3% of the national budget, which is 13000 million taka more. The budget is now over 1.7 billion USD.

Note that this si not the procurement bidget which is seperate, this is the just the budget for maintainance and salaries.
Is a possible invasion by India considered a real threat in BD ?