Amazon VS Jaingwei II

shamsi

elkaboingo said:
shamsi said:
elkaboingo said:
To your kind info, Amazon Type 21 have already been update to Tariq class configuration, and are highly operational. A recent visit by the Admiralty were highly impressed by the condition of such vintage ships.
Keeping your current platform operational is sometimes more important rather than going to buy ships that will take years to integrate.
recently i had teh pleasure of going aboard PNS Tariq :) unfortunately they didnt let me see the weapons room :? . :( . well they said the ships are from the 70's and that they have been upgraded(this is from a naval officer) i saw some small things too like gps and CIWS(i think it was vulcan phalanx gatling gun). :smokingc:
I think i spilled some tea on one of the desks in the "OPS" room oh Tariq. I don't think they will me in there again. CIWS is a small thing? You should see it firing!!
i think we got the same tour. they gave me the same with biscuits :D
we also took a tour around karachi in one of those small navy boats i saw the 2 agosta 90b's (one of these was just coming back to port) and a few daphne's, one was sitting in a drydock. he said it was being upgraded. also they have a new tanker from china, its bigger than the old ones.

i didnt have any cameras but they still didnt let me see the weapons room or engine room. i did see the helo hanger at teh back.
Engine room ,been there, but too many sailors. Against decorum. OPS room, been there too, all but Khaibar. 90-B, have pictures standing by subtics, but but but, I can't post these, as my friends are in it too, and can't compromise that.

Supersonic ASM, well well, sure it can be stopped if detected, and the processing is fast enough, or with a point defence system, but detection is key. Usually, the terminal stage when such platforms are > Mach 1, they are passively seeking on RF/EM emmision, which means they can't be detected in most cases (lets not forget sea skimming). It is prior to their terminal stage when they "ping" the target, and the emitter is picked up on ESM, i would say, arcs, heading, signature, chaff, and prayers!!!

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Supersonic ASM, well well, sure it can be stopped if detected, and the processing is fast enough, or with a point defence system, but detection is key. Usually, the terminal stage when such platforms are > Mach 1, they are passively seeking on RF/EM emmision, which means they can't be detected in most cases (lets not forget sea skimming). It is prior to their terminal stage when they "ping" the target, and the emitter is picked up on ESM, i would say, arcs, heading, signature, chaff, and prayers!!!
You'd have a better chance against a supersonic cruise, but against a top driving supersonic hull puncher like the ss-n-19 you'll have about 15 mins once you get hit to get into the water and get out of there.. ;)

on a vessel of 5000 tonnes that missile is likely to punch right through and pass out through the keel. a very unattractive proposition for a sailor ...

A hybrid weapon system that always appealed to me was to bolt a british spearfish torpedo to a VLS. In a sense similar to the Australian IKARA ASW system developed a few years back. A VLS Spearfish would be a monster ship killer. :D

shamsi

gf0012 said:
You'd have a better chance against a supersonic cruise, but against a top driving supersonic hull puncher like the ss-n-19 you'll have about 15 mins once you get hit to get into the water and get out of there.. ;)

on a vessel of 5000 tonnes that missile is likely to punch right through and pass out through the keel. a very unattractive proposition for a sailor ...

A hybrid weapon system that always appealed to me was to bolt a british spearfish torpedo to a VLS. In a sense similar to the Australian IKARA ASW system developed a few years back. A VLS Spearfish would be a monster ship killer. :D
You should have seen the test firing an a decom Gearing hull. Two Exocets, and a F-17 Mod 2, and still that damn think took all its time to head down to the mud bottom. Who ever designed them, should be exhumed, brought back to life, and given an award.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
There was a training attack done on one of the british old destroyers a few years back, aircraft lobbed ASM's at is, hit it 4-5 times, raked it with gunfire etc... it was only when a brit nuke fired a torp at it that it gave up immediately... ;)

the brits KNOW how to make good torps... ;)