Amazon VS Jaingwei II

shamsi

joker said:
Apparently the PN is looking into gas turbines and not diesel. The pic of the model for the F22P is below:
http://www.pakdef.info/ideas2002/f22p_pakchina.jpg

Judging from the articles posted below as well as PNC Mirza's week long visit to Ukraine back in 1999 the probability that the F22Ps gas turbine will be Ukrainian is pretty high. The Ukrainians make pretty good engines thats for sure.
Great investigative work. You must really spend a lot of time reading (and fantasizing) these sites. Blah.

If you knew the number of times gas turbines have been cursed in PN by the operators or maintainers, you won't they to paste such dated information on my post. A tank engine and a ships turbine are two different ball games. The list of takers to PN's new build propulsion is long, and Ukraine is not heard often.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
shamsi said:
joker said:
Apparently the PN is looking into gas turbines and not diesel. The pic of the model for the F22P is below:
http://www.pakdef.info/ideas2002/f22p_pakchina.jpg

Judging from the articles posted below as well as PNC Mirza's week long visit to Ukraine back in 1999 the probability that the F22Ps gas turbine will be Ukrainian is pretty high. The Ukrainians make pretty good engines thats for sure.
Great investigative work. You must really spend a lot of time reading (and fantasizing) these sites. Blah.

If you knew the number of times gas turbines have been cursed in PN by the operators or maintainers, you won't they to paste such dated information on my post. A tank engine and a ships turbine are two different ball games. The list of takers to PN's new build propulsion is long, and Ukraine is not heard often.
Exactly, as I was trying to say before. Seeing that I only know a few Russians and not 1 Ukrainian I'll be completely frank. Ukrainian engines are absolute disasters. Aspirins and Paracetamol tablets would need to be factored into any contract using these engines.

The sensible thing would be to look at new class vessels like what the navy of the United Arab Emirates has signed a contract for. Approx $500 million dollars for six multi-purpose missile Corvettes from Abu Dhabi Ship Building.

"Baynunah" class of 70-metre long vessels will be designed by France's Constructions Mecaniques de Normandie (CMN) under a subcontract from ADSB, and CMN will also build the first ship in France. The remaining 5 vessels will be built at ADSB's shipyard in Abu Dhabi. 2 of them are optional though.

Nice effective liitle ships. All they need are MTU's. :)

joker

A tank engine and a ships turbine are two different ball games.
And you figured that out all by yourself. Well done.

The whole point of mentioning the MBT deals was to provide an insight into the type of relationship Kiev is willing to forge with Islamabad.

Firstly Id be the first to admit that im not a naval expert. What I know on the matter is as a result of my own research of whatever literature is available to me. And there really is not that much out there on the technical aspects. For whatever reasons you and Gf0012 may disagree with the information posted by myself at least have the common decency to back your arguments with credible information. For all I know you may be talking complete rubbish. Anyway time will tell what engine will be selected.

PS all articles were sourced. You may think the BBC and such are a fantasy but dont expect other to follow your rationale.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
joker said:

The whole point of mentioning the MBT deals was to provide an insight into the type of relationship Kiev is willing to forge with Islamabad.

Firstly Id be the first to admit that im not a naval expert. What I know on the matter is as a result of my own research of whatever literature is available to me. And there really is not that much out there on the technical aspects. For whatever reasons you and Gf0012 may disagree with the information posted by myself at least have the common decency to back your arguments with credible information. For all I know you may be talking complete rubbish. Anyway time will tell what engine will be selected.

PS all articles were sourced. You may think the BBC and such are a fantasy but dont expect other to follow your rationale.
Joker. I guess all my comments are based on experience on some armoured vehicle, aviation and naval projects. The Russian and Ukrainian engines are notorious for wear and tear issues.

One of the common problems is that they have a tendency to wear out faster due to poor tolerances. Poor tolerances means that the engines will eventually experience balancing issues, and eventually catastrophic and terminal failure. In the case of an aircraft and a naval vessel that can make life somewhat exciting. Their typical maintenance routines for aircraft engines are half the uptime of western equivalents. It doesn't matter that the engine is notionally "half" the price of a western equivalent. Uptime is critical to sortie rates.

In a ship at sea, the last thing you want is to suffer periodic breakdowns at sea. A few thousand k's out in the Atlantic is not something that a ship master wants. Especially in a hostile environment.

Russian surface vessels had distinct engine noises, it makes referring to the combat system databases so much more easy.

As for the armoured vehicles, unfortunately the above are identical. Poor uptimes, noisey, telltale presence markers because of it, high maint rates, its one of the reasons why there is such a strong refurb market in modifying ex soviet/russian equipment. They are an anti-tank teams delight.

Attend any weapons conference, military exhibition and even commercial trade shows and you will get almost identical dismissive comments. (ever driven a Belarus tractor?)

They are an appalling piece of kit, it suited the russian doctrine of en masse platform "rushing". Ther stuff didn't need to last, they didn't care if it didn't as they assumed that sheer volume and mass would crush an oppposition. The impact on faulty drivetrains for a logistics backup is enormous. The "baggage train" just to provide transporters, spare engines, spare drivetrains etc would and was huge. In a lot of areas, the Russian AVF doctrine would be to shove the damaged vehicles forcibly out of the way as repairs would be next to impossible. All they cared about was keeping the column moving by having fuel tankers up front. maintenance was not a high priority.

In todays environment, such assumptions are a bit backward, more units = more targets. NATO always factored in superiority of western equipment as one of the positives in a quick violent war.

A number of my contracts have seen the removal of Russian/Ukrainian plant and replacement with German, Spanish, English or American engines.

As for the BBC, I guess they were rerunning from a different source (much like some newspapers do, they have a media sharing arrangement which means that they will print another papers articles due to an agreement to cross share).

The journo, probably had no idea of the rats nest he was exposing, certainly everyone in a military environment would look at such an article and get a bit of the giggles. They would be thanking their lucky stars that it wasn't their militaries involved in the purchase.

shamsi

joker said:

Ukrainian CI engines have done well in Pakistan in MBTs, due to good performance in the Desert. The only other matching engine was MTU, but no one is Pakistan risks that due to constant threat of embargos.

Now a CI engine (Diesel) and Gas Turbines are different in construction and operation. Ship gas turbines, you can say, are adopted and similiar to Aircraft engines that you commonly see, but are even more picky on fuel. Only the earlier are water cooled and in confined space. CODOG is great till it runs. Even the seasoned Turbine producers like Olympus, Alstom, and GE have issues such as high MTBF(Mean Time Between Failure). Ukraine is not known for making great turbines, yet. Heard of Mig-21s crashing in India? It's the same manufacturing techniques. So you felt my strong reservations, as they come from hands on experience, and constant feedback from operators all over the world.
Like GF said, imagine a ship relying on making a hard starboard on 28 knots running turbine to evade incoming in terminal stage, and the EO says, sorry sir, running Aux.

Now if you could please paste a link rather than the whole article, it works better for some of us. Yes, there is a lack of research, and I see that you are curious.

elkaboingo

To your kind info, Amazon Type 21 have already been update to Tariq class configuration, and are highly operational. A recent visit by the Admiralty were highly impressed by the condition of such vintage ships.
Keeping your current platform operational is sometimes more important rather than going to buy ships that will take years to integrate.
recently i had teh pleasure of going aboard PNS Tariq :) unfortunately they didnt let me see the weapons room :? . :( . well they said the ships are from the 70's and that they have been upgraded(this is from a naval officer) i saw some small things too like gps and CIWS(i think it was vulcan phalanx gatling gun). :smokingc:

shamsi

elkaboingo said:
To your kind info, Amazon Type 21 have already been update to Tariq class configuration, and are highly operational. A recent visit by the Admiralty were highly impressed by the condition of such vintage ships.
Keeping your current platform operational is sometimes more important rather than going to buy ships that will take years to integrate.
recently i had teh pleasure of going aboard PNS Tariq :) unfortunately they didnt let me see the weapons room :? . :( . well they said the ships are from the 70's and that they have been upgraded(this is from a naval officer) i saw some small things too like gps and CIWS(i think it was vulcan phalanx gatling gun). :smokingc:
I think i spilled some tea on one of the desks in the "OPS" room oh Tariq. I don't think they will me in there again. CIWS is a small thing? You should see it firing!!

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
shamsi said:
elkaboingo said:
I think i spilled some tea on one of the desks in the "OPS" room oh Tariq. I don't think they will me in there again. CIWS is a small thing? You should see it firing!!
I've been inside a few subs when they were being built, you aren't even allowed to have any cameras on site, even when its only a skeleton.. they are impressive.

as for the Phalanx, you can't miss them, they have a large torpedo shaped acquisition system on top (white). which is why they are nicknamed "daleks" (out of the Dr Who science fiction program)

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
shamsi said:
LoLzzzz.
I have seen it firing.....damn...you just hear a brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and then when it stops there's smoke coming out of the barrels and stuff. Totally awesome.

elkaboingo

shamsi said:
elkaboingo said:
i think we got the same tour. they gave me the same with biscuits :D
we also took a tour around karachi in one of those small navy boats i saw the 2 agosta 90b's (one of these was just coming back to port) and a few daphne's, one was sitting in a drydock. he said it was being upgraded. also they have a new tanker from china, its bigger than the old ones.

i didnt have any cameras but they still didnt let me see the weapons room or engine room. i did see the helo hanger at teh back.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I love the sound of those daleks, it sounds like a chainsaw ripping through canvas.... - almost as good as sailing into a rain storm..

umair

Peace Enforcer
The vulcan when fired goes brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr it's almost the antithesis of what I had expected to listen when I first listened to it being fired.(from a standing F-16 in Sargodha, They were doing the same with an F-6, the rounds my uncle told me were blank,I was ten at that time)

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I saw a demonstration of a new multi firing squad weapon into a car wreck a few years ago. This thing discharged approx 500 rounds in a split second (electronic), it absolutely shredded the car into daylight.

I would have hated to see it at full unload. It never failed to impress anyone who saw it, and these were people who had fought in some very "hot" environments, so they weren't easily impressed.

elkaboingo

are these CIWS fast enough to shoot down super-sonic antiship missiles? both in terms of the radar being able to track the missile and the gun being able to shoot it.

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
gf0012 said:
I saw a demonstration of a new multi firing squad weapon into a car wreck a few years ago. This thing discharged approx 500 rounds in a split second (electronic), it absolutely shredded the car into daylight.

I would have hated to see it at full unload. It never failed to impress anyone who saw it, and these were people who had fought in some very "hot" environments, so they weren't easily impressed.
Are you talking about metalstorm??