AI Unmanned Vehicles (UAV /UGV /USV / UUV).

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Put it here as I just imagine how a light weight, strong and relatively easy to produce (thus potentialy cheap in the end) materials can do for evolution of drones. Not just UAV, but also Sea based, underwater and even soldiers drones.

Carbon fiber already being used for some times on modern Airplanes and high performance cars. Even now studies them for High Speed Trains. However high tensile carbon fibers are not cheap. Airplanes and High Performance cars used them, but for daily people transportation is not economical yet to do. Moreover is not provide relative strength then say steel.

If this really develop into relative cheap materials (just like most plastic are), imagine using this for artificial skeletons and frame covers for Land Based soldiers drones, or provide armoured UAV with similar weight to present drones.

Star Wars drone army can really be in the corner.

PeterResearch

The appalling Ukraine crisis reminds me of the value of inexpensive small drones but the payload is, obviously, crucial.

Rather than destroy it which would be a tall order, if one wanted to render a MBT unserviceable, possibly by attacking one of the front or rear wheels (or maybe the junction between the turret and the body), what would be a very rough estimate of the weight of plastic explosive likely to be needed?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The appalling Ukraine crisis reminds me of the value of inexpensive small drones but the payload is, obviously, crucial.

Rather than destroy it which would be a tall order, if one wanted to render a MBT unserviceable, possibly by attacking one of the front or rear wheels (or maybe the junction between the turret and the body), what would be a very rough estimate of the weight of plastic explosive likely to be needed?
Welcome to the Forum Peter.

With MBTs you need to incapacitate it's fighting capability and that means its main and secondary weapons system, plus any communications and tactical data link capability. The most effective and safest way of achieving this is to destroy that vehicle, preferably so that it cannot be repaired and used in battle again. This applies to any fighting vehicle, be it tracked or wheeled. If the crew is killed or incapacitated in some form, then that to is a bonus because it takes time to train new crews and infantry, and for them to achieve proficiency. This is a brutal view but war isn't a game of tiddly winks. The object of the exercise is to kill your enemy and wreck their gear and place before they do the same unto you.

PeterResearch

Welcome to the Forum Peter.

With MBTs you need to incapacitate it's fighting capability and that means its main and secondary weapons system, plus any communications and tactical data link capability. The most effective and safest way of achieving this is to destroy that vehicle, preferably so that it cannot be repaired and used in battle again. This applies to any fighting vehicle, be it tracked or wheeled. If the crew is killed or incapacitated in some form, then that to is a bonus because it takes time to train new crews and infantry, and for them to achieve proficiency. This is a brutal view but war isn't a game of tiddly winks. The object of the exercise is to kill your enemy and wreck their gear and place before they do the same unto you.
Thanks for the welcome. You are absolutely correct but, for my purposes, aiming too high. The idea would, literally, not get off the ground. The plastic would, I reckon, be too heavy. But maybe I'm wrong. Actually, could you estimate what the necessary weight would be to do as you suggest?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Thanks for the welcome. You are absolutely correct but, for my purposes, aiming too high. The idea would, literally, not get off the ground. The plastic would, I reckon, be too heavy. But maybe I'm wrong. Actually, could you estimate what the necessary weight would be to do as you suggest?
I couldn't help you with the engineering side because it isn't my field at all. I have never seen the logic of living in a hole in the ground and carrying your home around with you on your back, when it can carry you around and provide you with three hot squares (meals) a day. Or if I had my other uniform on, room service in a five star hotel. :D

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
First look at Boeing’s XLUUV “Orca”. According to the article an earlier USN graphic for the Orca showed three rows of heavy weight torpedoes each row containing four. If accurate, an impressive amount of fire power.