ADF recruitment crisis.

A

Aussie Digger

I hope this helps. There is loads more, but this'll be most of the way to getting you well ahead of the pack. As for basic training, well that's a whole 'nother story. I'm not Army, but I can tell you plenty of tips on basic training to keep you out of trouble. Let me know if you want me to post that.

Don't ruin it for him... :D

Listen to your Corporal, don't be "gobby" and "put in".

Don't give a heart-hearted effort even if something comes naturally to you. If you've got some guy who's a bit unco-ordinated or something and he manages to achieve a good standard at a particular task, while you've achieved it easily, who has learnt more? If you can achieve something to an acceptable standard without effort, than there is no reason you can't achieve an excellent standard by "putting in"...

Oh and don't be gobby. Ever. There's ALWAYS someone better and more knowledgeable than you are.

McTaff

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Don't ruin it for him... :D

Listen to your Corporal, don't be "gobby" and "put in".

Don't give a heart-hearted effort even if something comes naturally to you. If you've got some guy who's a bit unco-ordinated or something and he manages to achieve a good standard at a particular task, while you've achieved it easily, who has learnt more? If you can achieve something to an acceptable standard without effort, than there is no reason you can't achieve an excellent standard by "putting in"...

Oh and don't be gobby. Ever. There's ALWAYS someone better and more knowledgeable than you are.
Can't agree more.

Except I'm going to add: Don't be gobby. EVER. Just want to make sure that was covered. :D

Particularly for Navy, don't be first to volunteer every time, don't be the "Golden Boy". Your team is what counts. You are nothing without your team. The team is bigger than you. A champion team is better than a team full of champions, etc etc.

And don't be gobby.

octopus7

Mc Taff I can't thank you enough for the advice, (I actually printed out your post) as I will be applying for the R.A.N next year once I have my fitness up to scratch. Contemplating either a Boatswain's mate or stores, I used to be a naval cadet years ago and am kicking myself for not following the navy path years ago. I guess it's never to late to do what your heart desires.
Cheers

datguy

agreed, going through recruiment process at the moment.

Hi my name is Stephen, I agree with all of you in saying that the recruitment process is abit slow and lacking. In Nov 2003, I applied the first time to the army and got as far as the then known as JOES day (now YOU session), and after being told by my case manager i was still valid for an assessment day i'd booked it for the 8th NOV (criminal history check completed), I was called on the 6th NOV only to find out that my aptitude test had expired and my assessment booking was pulled out. Knowing my luck I'm not surprised this happened so I booked a YOU session for the 9th NOV, completed another aptitude test, re-qualified for Tank Crewman (MBT), was told by the officer you speak (interview) with at the end of the day that the position I had applied for is a "HOT" job and requiring soldiers over the next 6 months.
After hearing this I was extra motivated to join up, so I hurried home, called my case manager that I'm all good to re-book an asessment day, and due to heavy bookings I was booked for the 26th NOV (usually 10 working days to process criminal history check).
Now, I know this whole thing was going to take awhile, but considering they already have ALL my paperwork and position are currently vacant for Tank crewman, all this waiting around for the days to pass is becoming very tidous and gut wrenching, there are moments I seriously consider just getting a new job instead (police service) and getting on with it, but its always been a dream on mine to serve in the ADF (particularly army) and thats the only thing keeping me tough at the moment. Also from what im told by serving members, the time between assessment and enlistment (bus ride) could be some weeks, even months, is there a reason for this beside job vancancies?

So am i just being an idiot for thinking im not wanted in the ADF or is the wait period for others attempting to be recruited also seem long for a service that claimes they are undergoing growth of the hardened and networked army?

datguy

thanks for the thread

thankyou for this thread, its been very helpful, as i also have abit of trouble getting pass this. I know why i want to join and if given the time i would write on and on about how i've grown up wanting to serve Australia and doing a job really worth doing, and being apart of a team and organisation worth dying for and so on... but when ask by the YOU session interviewer and over the phone with my case manager i have trouble expressing all these things without sounding like a nutter who'd kill everything in his way in defence of this great country.

so can anyone enlighten me on how to explain myself in such a way the defence interviewer can better understand me and not misinterperate my motivations,
thankyou in advance

A

Aussie Digger

Mod edit:

3 "want to join ADF" threads merged into one "super" thread. Try and check guys if there is an existing thread dealing with a similar topic before opening a new one.

Thanks

AD

McTaff

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Mc Taff I can't thank you enough for the advice, (I actually printed out your post) as I will be applying for the R.A.N next year once I have my fitness up to scratch. Contemplating either a Boatswain's mate or stores, I used to be a naval cadet years ago and am kicking myself for not following the navy path years ago. I guess it's never to late to do what your heart desires.
Cheers
Petition to rename this thread to "Joining advice for ADF".

Well, mate, I can hand you two pamphlets:
1) SN (Stores Naval).
I hope you like paperwork. You'll be tucked away in the bowels of the ship, and be trying to put together shopping lists from everyone. People will accuse you of siting around doing nothing, when you're working hard. (You'll on occasion, ah, find time to do, erm.. do 'special' jobs... er... ahh... like checking the clothing store, which is, ah locked and has... erm... soft bags of clothes and pillows. Need to... check for serviceability?)
Your job will be to not only find stuff for people, but account for everything you have. You at times will need to self audit, and account for every damn item, including two hundred spare split rings and forty bolt covers, none of which are guaranteed to be present.
You'll do your mind in because you'll feel like you've accomplished nothing, but in reality you enabled everyone else to do their job...
...and then you get promoted and you're in charge of people doing the same. You'll be the go-to guy for the people who Need It Now. You'll be an experienced crisis averter, you'll magically produce things thought impossible - quite simply you'll be a miracle worker.

2) BM (Bosun's Mate)
You'll wonder why you ever joined at first. You'll learn two 'squares'. Square-bashing, and Squaring Away.

Square-bashing is the term for Drill, and DAMMITIFYOUDON'TKEEPYOURHEADUPIWILLMARCHYOUBACKAROUNDAGAIN, and GETTHOSEBENDSOUTOFYOURELBOWS will become your lullabyes. There are some choice phrases used out there by Chief Bosuns, and some of them will have your eyes full of tears in an effort not to laugh while at attention. You will eat, breathe, drink and sleep Drill. It's your bread and butter. You'll be compelled to walk in step with people beside you, and you'll get real antsy when people can't do the same. But Drill is the key to muscle-memory stuff, and that is where you'll be spending your life.

Squaring Away something is anything from fixing it up to cleaning it up. "Squaring away one's cabin" is the catchcry you'll live with in recruit school. You'll polish brass that had no right to be in a building to start with, be proficient in whipping lines and tying knots.

After all that, you will be working on ships in the hot sun with no air conditioning pulling on berthing hawsers when docking. You'll be stowing cable and hawsers into hot little lockers below decks, sweating your butt off. You'll stand at attention for hours on end (don't lock your knees and wiggle those toes). You'll clean rifles and pistols that other people had the fun shooting. You'll be loading magazines with ammunition for other people. You'll sweep till your hands bleed...
...And then you get promoted, and that is when the gravy train rolls around. You'll be teaching drills. You'll have the Power Of Command all under your belt. You'll know every drill, one step at a time. You'll be a good shot, you'll have done boardings and you'll have recovered that poor bugger Oscar from overboard a million times. You'll even know how to marry a Landing Craft to an Amphibious Ship to allow vehicles to cross from one to another - while at sea!

----

In short, you'll probably be dejected with the whole thing at first, but you'll find that your time ashore, and when you unwind will be extraordinary. You'll see and do things that people only dream or joke about, and best of all you'll be paid to do it. And when you're ABSN or ABBM and have done a few years, you'll realise it's worth it. And once your a Leading Hand, you'll be in the zone, and everyone looks to you to get things done.

Don't discount being a CSO - Combat Systems Operators might be stuck in the dark bat cave, but that's a pretty good job too. Pressure would be your diet, but ultimately you'll become a Master of Cool.

I'm glad you've decided to join up - welcome aboard!

Edit to add: Thanks AD - I really should gather all the pearls of wisdom up and make a proper document. But it's nice to know there is a 'super thread' :D

Last edited:

McTaff

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
so can anyone enlighten me on how to explain myself in such a way the defence interviewer can better understand me and not misinterperate my motivations,
thankyou in advance
Scroll up a bit, I've given a bit of advice to someone else and that'll go a long way to helping, even though you've almost finished all that. As for explaining yourself with that One Big Question ("So if you saw a bad guy and he had a gun...") and all related topics:

You need to tell the recruiter that it is your duty to defend yourself and your fellow servicemen from harm. You are there to do a job, and if that job involved pulling the trigger, so be it. That other person had a choice to be there, and therefore they know the risks.

You are there as part of a team to not only defend Australia and her interests, but to defend others who rely upon Australia for protection. You are also there to help people who have been less fortunate than us; and through times of desperation people will make bad choices - you are there to help them with a hand up, and encourage them to make the right choices.

You want to preserve Australia for what it stands for, and what our nation believes in. You also want to assist those in need, because Australia is all about a Fair Go.

datguy

McTaff, i could not begin to tell you how extremely helpful ur post was, thankyou, i'm now gonna do some research on our role over seas, previous and current tours, peace keeping missions, disaster relief and all that kinda stuff...
thanks again great help from everyone on this site.

Bauer_CTU

Hello all, and thanks to all those members who have replied in this thread.

Well, I must say, McTaff's detailed tips for potential recruits, although very welcome (and I truly mean that), does become a little disconcerting when reading other replies that the process to actual enlistment can take months to complete. I'm 32 y.o., have completed two tertiary qualifications from two tertiary institutions (one of those to the Masters degree but which is proving to be a barrier to employment - nothing controversial, but it is a put off to some) have worked in two proper, professional positions but am currently unemployed. I have always wanted to join the infantry since way back as a little critter and am hoping to be able to initiate enlistment proceedings some time next year. I am very unfit at the moment and am currently facing an uphill battle to reach Army standards of fitness as well as shed excess weight (office jobs you see :) ), but I am committed to rectifying these issues.

I was under the impression that the recruiting process takes at the most 8 weeks (give or take a few). Seeing some of these replies that the selection process can take even up to months has halted my enthusiam to a certain degree. Are there currently any initiatives to speed up the recruitment process? I understand that the ADF does not want any nutters on board since it is a professional institution (otherwise we may just as well opt for conscription :-D), but I am weary of undertaking a commitment as a gamble only to lose out in the race (please take this in a nice tone :) ).

Thanks for any advice that may be forthcoming,

Nick

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
good luck Nick, best you make sure you are fit to the armys entry standard BEFORE you apply. That means shed those kilo,s. i recently shed 12kg through runing 8km a day and stopped drinking coke and beer! plenty of exercise and water should see you fit, and loseing 1kg a week. No point going through the entry tests only to be told come back when you weigh X amount of kilos.

McTaff

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Hello all, and thanks to all those members who have replied in this thread.

Well, I must say, McTaff's detailed tips for potential recruits, although very welcome (and I truly mean that), does become a little disconcerting when reading other replies that the process to actual enlistment can take months to complete.
I took six whole years from first phone call to commision. Don't let it worry you, it's getting faster and faster - but definitely several months due to screening and police records to be accessed, appointments for medicals, it all eats up time with the processing in between. I had laser eye surgery which accounted for 18 months of that, but there were some stuff ups and so on during my application.

Most of the other blokes that went in the same time as me took under six months from walking to marching.

I have always wanted to join the infantry since way back as a little critter and am hoping to be able to initiate enlistment proceedings some time next year. I am very unfit at the moment and am currently facing an uphill battle to reach Army standards of fitness as well as shed excess weight (office jobs you see :) ), but I am committed to rectifying these issues.
Work hard on your fitness. Make sure you can exceed minimum requirements by a fair margin, as it will help you when you get to recruit school. Your age won't bother them; I undertook initial training with two chaps who were well into their forties and although they struggled, they made it.

Remember you need to prove you can keep up with these hardy little 19 year old footy players. Do not let it put you off, just remember that as long as you can hump a pack as long as they can (a week), and do pushups and situps and run around the oval/quarterdeck/blocks the required number of times in the alloted period, you'll be fine. Don't ever quit, because if the two older chaps I went through with can do it, then you can.

Tips for fitness:
-Train yourself in Cardio firstly, so you can run anywhere up to 10k without falling apart.
-Next is core strength, because you'll find yourself with your face in the dirt more times than you'd like - the medicine ball pushups were something I wished I'd known about before I joined.
--Use two medicine balls as your hand holds, with your feet elevated higher than your hands by about a twelve inches.
--Once you can balance on two balls and do pushups easily, use a third medicine ball under your toes so you have three under you.
-Up/downs are a go. Pushup to star-jump to pushup.. etc etc. Master both the Eight Point and Six Point variety.
-Lastly concentrate on lunges.
I'd recommend a personal trainer for three months to whip you into shape; tell them you want to concentrate on these as a primary focus.

REMEMBER: you can initiate the application process whenever you like, fit or not. You don't do your fitness test until very late in the piece, but you do have to pass a medical. So as long as you have a healthy heartbeat, and fall within the BMI, you're good to go.

I was under the impression that the recruiting process takes at the most 8 weeks (give or take a few). Seeing some of these replies that the selection process can take even up to months has halted my enthusiam to a certain degree. Are there currently any initiatives to speed up the recruitment process?
As a matter of fact, yes. Before your first appointment, make sure you have (some or all of which may be required):
-All educational records, from high school onwards.
-Birth certificate.
-All passports you have in your possession
-Details of all surgery you've ever had.
-All x-rays you've ever had.
-All legal actions you've been involved in, civil or criminal (whether witness, expert or the subject of)
-All financial documents (tax, bank statements, receipts for big ticket items like houses and cars)
-Change of name documents, etc etc

They may only want a couple of the above, but make sure you've got everything you can in case they decide they want a look at them. Sometimes the hold up on your end of a couple of days can lose you an appointment for a couple of weeks.

I made sure I phoned every Tuesday and Thursday for updates whenever I hadn't got an appointment. When I did, I called once weekly and asked if they needed me to fill an earlier appointment, or needed additional info. I cut off a good six months doing that, as they usually didn't have any news, but sometimes they remembered my name and I was the first person they'd call when they had an opening.

Make sure you have a good phone manner and are very polite to the folk looking after you. They'll do their best if you do.

I understand that the ADF does not want any nutters on board since it is a professional institution (otherwise we may just as well opt for conscription :-D), but I am weary of undertaking a commitment as a gamble only to lose out in the race (please take this in a nice tone :) ).

- - (redirected paragraph) - -

I'm 32 y.o., have completed two tertiary qualifications from two tertiary institutions (one of those to the Masters degree but which is proving to be a barrier to employment - nothing controversial, but it is a put off to some) have worked in two proper, professional positions but am currently unemployed.
Don't get me wrong here, but you're seriously making me question what you want to do. Infantry may be the place for you, but someone with two tertiary qualifications (a Masters to boot!) is Officer material. They'll want you for that.

What is your qualifications in? Why would it put people off? There aren't too many degrees that will disqualify anyone from any officer position. Engineer spots are hard to fill, and even someone with a BA can find themselves thrust into some pretty amazing positions in the military.

Bauer_CTU

McTaff,

Thank you ever so kindly for this most detailed reply. I am very much indebted. Looks like I found the right forum in which to ask these questions. Thank you again. :)

I took six whole years from first phone call to commision. Don't let it worry you, it's getting faster and faster - but definitely several months due to screening and police records to be accessed, appointments for medicals, it all eats up time with the processing in between. I had laser eye surgery which accounted for 18 months of that, but there were some stuff ups and so on during my application.

Most of the other blokes that went in the same time as me took under six months from walking to marching.
Oh OK, after reading this portion, the task does not seem so daunting. Shouldn't be too much of a fuss then, I hope. Good to see that you are alright after your eye surgery and that you went into active service!

Work hard on your fitness. Make sure you can exceed minimum requirements by a fair margin, as it will help you when you get to recruit school. Your age won't bother them; I undertook initial training with two chaps who were well into their forties and although they struggled, they made it.

Remember you need to prove you can keep up with these hardy little 19 year old footy players. Do not let it put you off, just remember that as long as you can hump a pack as long as they can (a week), and do pushups and situps and run around the oval/quarterdeck/blocks the required number of times in the alloted period, you'll be fine. Don't ever quit, because if the two older chaps I went through with can do it, then you can.
Basically, to give you a fair idea of where I'm at, at the moment even short jogs require major effort and leave me gasping for air (damn cigarettes - I have been cutting back to around 10 a day). I can walk for about 10kms and begin to feel real tired only towards the last kilometre, but I can feel the mileage increasing. I can do a fair few sit-ups effortlessly but then beer-gut syndrome kicks in. Push-ups I am having real trouble with, but I am trying to work on it. Chin-ups, well forget about it for now. I will be purchasing some hand weight-sets to build up biceps etc.

Problem with running, for example, is I feel my body almost being dragged down as a paper-clip is drawn to magnet. It is very disheartening, even moreso when considering that up until my teens I used to be very fit; not Athletic club fit, but close enough. But I am trying to focus all my strength into making this work and have been trying to cut down on food intake (esp. junk-food), soft-drink, alcohol and cigarettes. These last two have been the major contributors to my current state. But I am also a big eater.

I'd recommend a personal trainer for three months to whip you into shape; tell them you want to concentrate on these as a primary focus.
Never thought of actually doing that. I might just do so, finances permitting. If anything, I will have to get ultra-serious about the training after the New Year, when my uncle and aunt from Greece return there. I'm being held back at the moment taking them here and there and they're awake all hours! (Actually, now that I mention Greece, would you mind if I PM'd you a short question? It's nothing secret but I don't want our fellow members to misinterpret anything. Only if it's OK with you.)

REMEMBER: you can initiate the application process whenever you like, fit or not. You don't do your fitness test until very late in the piece, but you do have to pass a medical. So as long as you have a healthy heartbeat, and fall within the BMI, you're good to go.
Considering the state I find myself in, probably best to leave the initiation process for later. One look at me, and I'd be thrown out.

As a matter of fact, yes. Before your first appointment, make sure you have (some or all of which may be required): [...]

They may only want a couple of the above, but make sure you've got everything you can in case they decide they want a look at them. Sometimes the hold up on your end of a couple of days can lose you an appointment for a couple of weeks.

I made sure I phoned every Tuesday and Thursday for updates whenever I hadn't got an appointment. When I did, I called once weekly and asked if they needed me to fill an earlier appointment, or needed additional info. I cut off a good six months doing that, as they usually didn't have any news, but sometimes they remembered my name and I was the first person they'd call when they had an opening.

Make sure you have a good phone manner and are very polite to the folk looking after you. They'll do their best if you do.
Again, thank you for the extra advice. I will indeed be diligent in following up any updates et al. You said earlier that when you front up, to make sure you don't look lost. Do you mean not look nervous or something?

Don't get me wrong here, but you're seriously making me question what you want to do. Infantry may be the place for you, but someone with two tertiary qualifications (a Masters to boot!) is Officer material. They'll want you for that.
My only problem is, and this is quite embarassing, I really suck at maths. And I mean real bad. I have no problem with the times table up to 12, but figuring out wind velocities or working out map scales and other such things, I have a very poor grasp of. Unfortunately. This is also translated, usually at least in other areas of employment as lacking in necessary problem solving skills.

What is your qualifications in? Why would it put people off? There aren't too many degrees that will disqualify anyone from any officer position. Engineer spots are hard to fill, and even someone with a BA can find themselves thrust into some pretty amazing positions in the military.
First degree was a BA in Politics/History. Second was Theology (and subsequently, the MTh). I don't know, I think some may think I am into bible-bashing (only word I could think of at this late hour, forgive me please, was not meant to offend in any way). I have put forward for a few positions in the past (within DoD) but have only been rejected. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't like to use my Theology degree in any capacity within the ADF (I mean chaplaincy), but to say why would veer into off-topic arenas, so the issue stops here ;)

McTaff, I again thank you wholeheartedly for taking the time out to write me this most detailed and enlightening reply.

old faithful wrote:

good luck Nick, best you make sure you are fit to the armys entry standard BEFORE you apply. That means shed those kilo,s. i recently shed 12kg through runing 8km a day and stopped drinking coke and beer! plenty of exercise and water should see you fit, and loseing 1kg a week. No point going through the entry tests only to be told come back when you weigh X amount of kilos.
Thank you very much, I'll be needing all the luck I can muster. The coke I can understand; the beer? (only joking!) You are absolutely right about that; I really would not want to have to go through everything again merely because I was not able to do x amount of push ups or whatever. I'd rather try to get as fit as possible, much as McTaff wrote earlier.

Thank you both,

Nick

--edit--

Sorry mods, I think I have borked something and I can't find what.

McTaff

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Basically, to give you a fair idea of where I'm at, at the moment even short jogs require major effort and leave me gasping for air (damn cigarettes - I have been cutting back to around 10 a day). I can walk for about 10kms and begin to feel real tired only towards the last kilometre, but I can feel the mileage increasing. I can do a fair few sit-ups effortlessly but then beer-gut syndrome kicks in. Push-ups I am having real trouble with, but I am trying to work on it. Chin-ups, well forget about it for now. I will be purchasing some hand weight-sets to build up biceps etc.

Problem with running, for example, is I feel my body almost being dragged down as a paper-clip is drawn to magnet. It is very disheartening, even moreso when considering that up until my teens I used to be very fit; not Athletic club fit, but close enough. But I am trying to focus all my strength into making this work and have been trying to cut down on food intake (esp. junk-food), soft-drink, alcohol and cigarettes. These last two have been the major contributors to my current state. But I am also a big eater.
I'd be doing everything you can until you have a good clear few months, and seriously lay off the bad stuff this Christmas - it'll destroy all the good work so far.

Once you have your clear few months, hit the gym and see a Personal Trainer at least three times a week, and once you're in the swing of it see if they do a Boot Camp, and do that as well. It's nothing remotely like what you'll do at basic training, but it's the all-round fitness it provides, and if you have a good instructor you'll learn to tune in to the person barking orders.

Sometimes in PT you'll do stuff like it, but there will be other stuff that'll be your bread-and-butter. ;)

(Actually, now that I mention Greece, would you mind if I PM'd you a short question? It's nothing secret but I don't want our fellow members to misinterpret anything. Only if it's OK with you.)
You need 50 posts before you can use the PM service here.

-But if you've served in the Greek Army as part of their National Service, or any other service, then that's no problem. Just make sure you are up front and honest, and get all records pertaining to the service or citizenship now, and have them ready.

-If you have family and/or ties to Greece, then that'll also take them time to work out, but it's no big hurdle either. It's also not too much of a problem with dual citizenship.

-A criminal record overseas is also no big deal either, as long as you have all the documentation, and you can get the local gendarmes to provide a full transcript of your record.

I threw a wide net - hopefully I might have covered your question.

Again, thank you for the extra advice. I will indeed be diligent in following up any updates et al. You said earlier that when you front up, to make sure you don't look lost. Do you mean not look nervous or something?
When I said "looking like you've lost your dog", I mean remain happy and outgoing; don't get gloomy or bored. You'll be sitting in a chair for hours on end watching a ten minute loop of some once-was-exciting recruiting video, or perhaps daytime commercial TV so it'll be one heck of a challenge. So don't look like you would rather be elsewhere.

More to the point, be confident. Confidence comes with a combination of knowledge, self awareness, practice and common sense. Set yourself up to succeed and you'll manage fine.

My only problem is, and this is quite embarassing, I really suck at maths. And I mean real bad. I have no problem with the times table up to 12, but figuring out wind velocities or working out map scales and other such things, I have a very poor grasp of. Unfortunately. This is also translated, usually at least in other areas of employment as lacking in necessary problem solving skills.

First degree was a BA in Politics/History. Second was Theology (and subsequently, the MTh). I don't know, I think some may think I am into bible-bashing (only word I could think of at this late hour, forgive me please, was not meant to offend in any way). I have put forward for a few positions in the past (within DoD) but have only been rejected. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't like to use my Theology degree in any capacity within the ADF (I mean chaplaincy), but to say why would veer into off-topic arenas, so the issue stops here ;)
Meh, I know people who went to ADFA for an aviation job and did things like BA, and they are in control of aircraft worth millions of dollars. Doesn't really matter about what degree it is.

The maths is an obstacle, but if your heart is in it, you only really need to know ratios, fractions, times tables and division. Any high school maths teacher or tutor can probably get you learning that stuff by rote.

Anything you need to know about working out windage or anything complicated like that, they will teach you exactly how they want you to do it when the time comes. There is no assumed knowledge in the ADF.

I'd consider going officer with those quals, as it sounds like you are bilingual (at least) and may even manage some good positions. As before, aim high, may as well take a shot at something high and get your second or third choice, rather than wondering whether you "couldabeen" by settling for something that you probably could have bettered. If I had your quals I'd be in Intelligence already (which is very difficult to get into, so it goes a ways to explaining what you have there).

Anyways, it's no problem, happy to help out. :D

F-15 Eagle

If the recruitment crisis countinues then they might have to use the draft again since they can;t just downsize if they have requirments for a certin size of the ADF.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
I posted as threat over at SP, but I know there are a lot who don't post there.

I am thinking of joining the reserves as a officer. Currently I work as a Physics teacher, play rugby and basketball, pretty active, go to the gym. I have a B.Sci (Physics) and a M.Teaching (secondary). Previously I have worked construction (labourer) and security(bouncer and as a call centre manager) which I would imagine cover many of the skill areas of the ADF. Previously was in cadets at school and familiar with SLR, pretty handy with a .22 and know basic parade drill. (wheel, about turn, present arms, slow/fast etc). Currently I am 28.

Also worked as a recruiter for technical positions in mines, electronics, science R&D and quality control. As well as process workers etc. Didn't really like this job, why I am now in teaching.

Not sure what I should be applying for. Origionally thinking Intel officer (airforce or Navy), but apparently thats not a direct entry position esp. for reserves. Now leaning to signals in army as it apparently has the best chance of development.

Suggestions?

McTaff

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I posted as threat over at SP, but I know there are a lot who don't post there.

I am thinking of joining the reserves as a officer. Currently I work as a Physics teacher, play rugby and basketball, pretty active, go to the gym. I have a B.Sci (Physics) and a M.Teaching (secondary). Previously I have worked construction (labourer) and security(bouncer and as a call centre manager) which I would imagine cover many of the skill areas of the ADF. Previously was in cadets at school and familiar with SLR, pretty handy with a .22 and know basic parade drill. (wheel, about turn, present arms, slow/fast etc). Currently I am 28.

Also worked as a recruiter for technical positions in mines, electronics, science R&D and quality control. As well as process workers etc. Didn't really like this job, why I am now in teaching.

Not sure what I should be applying for. Origionally thinking Intel officer (airforce or Navy), but apparently thats not a direct entry position esp. for reserves. Now leaning to signals in army as it apparently has the best chance of development.

Suggestions?
Training Systems Officer (Navy), Intel (Army/Air Force), Public Relations (any), Logistics Officer (Air Force).

For some of these you'd have to do a coupe of years in another position - and to be honest, I don't know why you would, as being one of these in the Reserves is kind of a waste unless you do a lot more than your minimum time. You would do really well as one of these going full time, Training Systems is a pretty cool job and you have just the right skillset. It just depends whether you want to teach and co-ordinate teaching units for a few more years.

McTaff

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
If the recruitment crisis countinues then they might have to use the draft again since they can;t just downsize if they have requirments for a certin size of the ADF.
We will never have a draft. National Service would be extremely tough to institute here, since the Whitlam government. The current legal requirement, I believe is that we'd have to be in "at war" or "in time of war", and it would need to be declared by the Governor General and subsequently approved by both Upper and Lower Houses of Federal Parliament.

Before National Service could be instituted, I believe the 1902 Defence Legislation Amendment Act would need to have some significant changes to make it all legal.

In other words, snowball in hell's chance.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well as a teacher, I have ~ 10 weeks holiday which I would not mind picking up some extra reserve cash. I get ~15 reserve leave days where I get fully paid leave from teaching (during term) and reserve money. So if I take 15 of those, and about 14-28 days additional during the year (1 week during each school holiday example) I will be doing around 30-50 reserve days a year. Say $130 a day around $4000-$6500 additional tax free a year ontop of my regular teaching wage. If I wanted to chew into my holidays for more, I could double my commitment to 60-100 days without impacting on my regular teaching much if at all.

There are provisions where I can go full time, reserve my teaching position and get paid either my full time ADF or my full time teaching wage, which ever is higher. Then return to regular teaching. I think any full time service I do adds to my service record so does not slow down my progress up the pay scale. Or as a reserve, this additional service may count towards my service and move me up to a higher pay scale quicker.

Full time is even less appealing as if I went full time I could do foreman/project manager and earn twice/three times as much, or do inteligence with one of the other inteligence departments and do far less training.

Is there no position for a technically very capable person in the ADF? Should I serve as a grunt. I am over 6'8, 115 kg, I can carry over 140 kg (for a short distance if loaded up I can carry 8x20kg bags of concrete.) I am pretty good shot, I can dig holes. I think I could work up to Sergeant pretty quick.