Absalon Class Combat / Flexible Support Ship

Grand Danois

Entertainer
HDMS Absalon prepares for operational deployment

By Denise Hammick

02 November 2007

The Royal Danish Navy's (RDN's) first Absalon-class flexible combat support ship, HDMS Absalon, is due to be declared fully operational in April 2008, following the scheduled test firing of its Evolved SeaSparrow Missile between 16-18 April off the coast of Scotland.

The declaration will come ahead of Absalon's first planned deployment, subject to Danish political approval, which will be to host the Joint Task Force of NATO's Combined Task Force 150 off the Horn of Africa from August 2008: a mission that focuses on anti-terrorism and anti-piracy in the region.

Currently, the ship is undergoing sea trials in the Danish littoral area of Kattegat. Beginning on 17 August the ship has so far passed a succession of qualification and integration trials.

Absalon's SMART-S Mk 2 medium-to-long-range 3D volume search solid-state radar is now operational after passing its sea acceptance tests (SATs). The SATs saw the radar perform in both operating modes - the long-range surveillance mode and the shorter-range high-update-rate defence mode - to successfully track targets including a Norwegian fast attack craft, a Polish submarine, a German Tornado strike aircraft, Lear jets, Danish and UK Lynx helicopters, Danish F-16 fighter aircraft and unmanned aerial vehicles operated by the Danish armed forces. The radar is already being used operationally on board despite the fact that RDN operators have yet to undergo formal training.

http://www.janes.com/news/defence/jdw/jdw071102_1_n.shtml

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Absalon's SMART-S Mk 2 medium-to-long-range 3D volume search solid-state radar is now operational after passing its sea acceptance tests (SATs). The SATs saw the radar perform in both operating modes - the long-range surveillance mode and the shorter-range high-update-rate defence mode - to successfully track targets including a Norwegian fast attack craft, a Polish submarine, a German Tornado strike aircraft, Lear jets, Danish and UK Lynx helicopters, Danish F-16 fighter aircraft and unmanned aerial vehicles operated by the Danish armed forces.
Note: And there we have the reasons/results of the deployment of Esbern Snare in Northern Coasts 2007.

Grand Danois

Entertainer
More on the Smart-S Mk2.

Prize mission

Published: 14 November 2007 09:00 AM
Source: The Engineer

The Royal Danish Navy has completed successful sea trials of Thales' SMART-S MKII compact multi-beam Doppler radar aboard the multi-purpose frigate Absalon.

Thales hopes the results will stand it in good stead against its competitors in a bid to upgrade the Royal Navy's Radar Type 996.

The tender forms part of the MoD Maritime Gunnery and Missile Systems Integrated Project Team (MGMS IPT) requirement to upgrade the fleet with a 3D maritime medium-range and target indicator radar system. The contract could have a total value of £80m-£85m.

SMART-S MKII uses digital multi-beam antenna technology and is specifically designed for the coastal environment, eliminating false positives from objects moving on shore that could be mistaken for targets.

SMART-S is a derivative of the SMART-L and S1850M models. It is a multi-beam medium-range search radar consisting of a rotating antenna that also houses the transmit-receive electronics.

Below-deck equipment includes a drive control cabinet and a processing cabinet. The radar is designed to be integrated with the ship's combat system, providing a 3D air and surface picture of the environment.

Powered by 16 powerbooks in parallel, the radar rotates at 27rpm in defence and 13.5rpm in surveillance mode, and a cooling liquid controls temperature.

After factory and acceptance tests, SMART-S was installed in Absalon in March. Sea trials started two months ago and engineering trials are now in progress.

In the control room, a target designation display shows the type, height and direction of the target and whether it is in- or out-bound. It can be fully integrated with other detection systems, with signals processed and displayed alongside CCTV and infrared optometric signals.

Commander Frank Trojahn, Absalon's captain, said: 'SMART-S is designed for coastal warfare, so we carried out tests against aircraft of several different types with varied speeds and behaviours. All were successful.'

SMART-S was also tested against jamming. When it spots jamming behaviours, it changes frequencies and no longer uses the jamming ones.

Signals from SMART-S and other sensors are processed and displayed on widescreen, overhead screens via the Terma Windows- based C-flex command and control system, which gives a common interface for personnel to fine-control the fire control system and radar.

Operations officer Lt-Cdr Tue Lippert, said: 'We particularly liked the fact that SMART-S has two modes — on and off. Our old one had 10 modes, and at any time we were almost certainly in wrong mode.

'As C-flex is based on Windows platform, the crew only needed a three-day crash course. We didn't even need a manual due to its intuitive nature. If anything goes wrong, we can carry out a complete restart in 10 minutes.

'To test a small target, we had two F-16s carry out inbound attack, and we detected them from 62km all the way down to sea level, with automatic tracking kicking in from 59km. Outbound, we tracked them out to 250km at 8km height. Maximum range really is 250km, not just specification.

Thales is bidding for a contract to fit 20 systems in a variety of platforms and two shore facilities, with up to 25 years of support. The first system is due to be operational at sea in 2010, with the final retrofitted system operational no later that 2014.

The remaining bidders are BAE System's Insyte, Lockheed Martin and ELTA.

A Thales spokesman said: 'We think the results of these sea trials will show we have a real, functional product to offer and not just a paper tiger.'

http://www.theengineer.co.uk/Articles/303002/Prize+mission.htm

allanp

Thales Smart-S Naval Radar on Absalon

I've found a small movie at youtube. I'm new, can't post links but its:

youtube.com/watch?v=xyVoUr3tYyk

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Powered by 16 powerbooks in parallel, the radar rotates at 27rpm in defence and 13.5rpm in surveillance mode, and a cooling liquid controls temperature.
And

Signals from SMART-S and other sensors are processed and displayed on widescreen, overhead screens via the Terma Windows- based C-flex command and control system, which gives a common interface for personnel to fine-control the fire control system and radar.

Operations officer Lt-Cdr Tue Lippert, said: 'We particularly liked the fact that SMART-S has two modes — on and off. Our old one had 10 modes, and at any time we were almost certainly in wrong mode.

'As C-flex is based on Windows platform, the crew only needed a three-day crash course. We didn't even need a manual due to its intuitive nature. If anything goes wrong, we can carry out a complete restart in 10 minutes.
Perhaps it is just me and my IT background but... I am all for the use of COTS when such a solution makes sense, but relying on a Windows-based system for something as crucial as a radar/fire control system just gives me the willies. I would hope that the system has been exhaustively tested so that the Blue Screen of Death does not come to have another meaning as well.

-Cheers

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I am all for the use of COTS when such a solution makes sense, but relying on a Windows-based system for something as crucial as a radar/fire control system just gives me the willies.
Same, especially when you consider that you'd want a real-time system. There are a couple COTS "tie-ins" that provide real-time computation with Windows (INTime, RTX come to mind). But for a sensitive system, even if it's not as crucial as say in aircraft avionics, a "real" RTOS solution would presumably be far more robust.

Really makes me cringe.

We didn't even need a manual
And that too.

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Oh, using Windows is not that unusual. :D

Windows for Warships nears frontline service

[...]

The Type 45 destroyers now being launched will run Windows for Warships: and that's not all. The attack submarine Torbay has been retrofitted with Microsoft-based command systems, and as time goes by the rest of the British submarine fleet will get the same treatment, including the Vanguard class (V class). The V boats carry the UK's nuclear weapons and are armed with Trident ICBMs, tipped with multiple H-bomb warheads.

[...]

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/26/windows_boxes_at_sea/

It's a long article... but fun.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Oh, using Windows is not that unusual. :D

Windows for Warships nears frontline service

[...]

The Type 45 destroyers now being launched will run Windows for Warships: and that's not all. The attack submarine Torbay has been retrofitted with Microsoft-based command systems, and as time goes by the rest of the British submarine fleet will get the same treatment, including the Vanguard class (V class). The V boats carry the UK's nuclear weapons and are armed with Trident ICBMs, tipped with multiple H-bomb warheads.

[...]

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/26/windows_boxes_at_sea/

It's a long article... but fun.
Thank you for the article. As if I was not already going to lose enough sleep tonight as it was:sleepy2 I will now also have to contend with the RN making use of Micros... products aboard ship for important data systems. I can only hope that the RN and/or MoD has a good (very good) CERT setup and that any shipboard systems using Windows are isolated or secured from the malware or spyware mentioned in the article. IMV there is such a thing as taking COTS integration too far...

-Cheers

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
Thank you for the article. As if I was not already going to lose enough sleep tonight as it was:sleepy2 I will now also have to contend with the RN making use of Micros... products aboard ship for important data systems. I can only hope that the RN and/or MoD has a good (very good) CERT setup and that any shipboard systems using Windows are isolated or secured from the malware or spyware mentioned in the article. IMV there is such a thing as taking COTS integration too far...

-Cheers
Hehe just imagine, a *HMS Daring operating in the gulf* and incoming missile is called, the Captain asks for a bearing and time for impact, as the rating hurries to answer his questions a all to familar Windows popup comes on the screen:
Windows Explorer has experience a error and needs to close
If you were in the middle of something, hehe the information you have been may have been lost
Please Tell Microsoft About This Problem
:nutkick
:eek:nfloorl:

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Hehe just imagine, a *HMS Daring operating in the gulf* and incoming missile is called, the Captain asks for a bearing and time for impact, as the rating hurries to answer his questions a all to familar Windows popup comes on the screen:
If you were in the middle of something, hehe the information you have been may have been lost
I think the "Server not found" message would be more likely to occur... With the expression of the rating then likely to be something like this... :eek and :shudder immediately followed by :hitwall then :cry and then an immediate desire to get :drunk

-Cheers

KIJ

Important to notice that only workstations use Microsoft Windows. The servers doesn't use Windows. I don't think the importance of one workstation is that big (I hope not anyhow). That way a workstation that crashes, won't have any big influence.

I've bought special computer with Embedded Windows XP to a specific application - that system has been running 24/7 for more than a year without a crash, so actually Windows can be stable...:rolleyes:

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Important to notice that only workstations use Microsoft Windows. The servers doesn't use Windows. I don't think the importance of one workstation is that big (I hope not anyhow). That way a workstation that crashes, won't have any big influence.

I've bought special computer with Embedded Windows XP to a specific application - that system has been running 24/7 for more than a year without a crash, so actually Windows can be stable...:rolleyes:
A year is alright. On the other hand VMS/Vax-based systems I have dealt with have had uptimes measured in years, with one having had over a decade... Without very rigourous testing, I still would not consider Windows-based clients/platforms appropriate for mission critical systems.

-Cheers

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I know a cluster of Sun Solaris machines that has only been forcibly down twice in about 7-8 years... first time by the machines physically moving to another building, second time by the AC in the new building malfunctioning ;)
Continuous Uptime() before the second time was around 4 years.

Sadly, they replaced them there last year though, now running Debian on the same machines. :(

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
Not far from what happened in real life in the Falklands when HMS Broadsword's Sea Wolf SAM system found it electronically too difficult to decide which of two attacking Argentinian Skyhawks it should to engage so it simply switched itself off, leaving the ships defence to its 40mm Bofors and GPMG's!

Tas

Ths

Banned Member
I think it would be a good idea to give a run down of what the Absalon class really is:

Primarely it is a minelayer - the visit to Sct. Petersburg delivering the earthly remains of the late empress Olga, should give a broad hint of the intended work location.
The problem with minelayers is that they should have accomplished their mission BEFORE the shooting war breaks out, thus leaving perfectly good tonnage with nothing sensible to do afterwards.
Thus a command function - no need to waste all that office space - landing facilities - no need to waste all that perfectly good deckspace.
They are really build like ferries - recognising that weapons can be brought on board according to the need of the specifik mission.

You should note the design is made by Lindø shipyard. They have an excellent reputation.

For permanent oceangoing operations You should more to the new class of "patrol" ships - They'll probably be classed as frigates - but will have a small complement and the general armament will be carried on the helicopter.
If I'm not mistaken: Their endurance will come from the excellent hulls build by Lindø - note the lack of bow-wave from the Emma Mærsk-class containerships.

These ships are particularly interesting, because they seem able to meet the contradictory requirements of ships for shallow and deep waters.

regstrup

Are you sure ?

For permanent oceangoing operations You should more to the new class of "patrol" ships - They'll probably be classed as frigates - but will have a small complement and the general armament will be carried on the helicopter.
The new Patrolships, which the danish navy have ordered, will be able to carry one or two helicopters, but the general and main armament will be carried on the ships itselves.

The ship will be armed with:
  • 8 Harpoon Block II
  • 24 Evolved Sea Sparrow
  • Stinger Missiles
  • Lockheed Martin Mk 41 Vertical Launching System with 32 cells for Raytheon Standard missile SM2/SMK6
  • 2 76 mm canons (Prepared for a 127 mm canon)
  • One 35 mm canon
  • 2 antisub launcher for MU90
  • Decoys, chaff and ESM

Source: homepage of the danish defence

hvidtfeldt

THS

I have been reading some your postings and I get the impression that you are either very young (inexperienced), sarcastic or paranoid. :confused:

I dislike your attitude against our Swedish neighbours and would also like to inform you, that the Soviet state AND Warsaw pact has ceased to exist.
Thus there is no threat from the former Eastern bloc nor does Sweden threaten our way of life or freedom

Quote:
"I think it would be a good idea to give a run down of what the Absalon class really is:

Primarely it is a minelayer - the visit to Sct. Petersburg delivering the earthly remains of the late empress Olga, should give a broad hint of the intended work location.
The problem with minelayers is that they should have accomplished their mission BEFORE the shooting war breaks out, thus leaving perfectly good tonnage with nothing sensible to do afterwards.":eek:nfloorl:

The RDN has never planned to mine Soviet/Eas German or Polish waters in a major offensive pre-emptive action (maybe they would lay a few mines from Subs or FAC after the shooting has started)
The Absalon was meant to replace several ship classes, one of them being the 4 large mine-layers of the Falster class, designed for mining the sound and belts.

I suggest you should twice before posting !

Ths

Banned Member
Hvidtfelt: I'm more than anybody aware of the changed circumstances. So You don't like my attitude towards Swedes? That must be an idiosyncracy of Yours!

The main threat in the Baltic is Russia: It is the only factor, that has reasonably modern weapons in sufficient numbers, trained personel and functioning command structure. Thus have military potential.

The size of the threat is an entirely different question. The reduction of threatlevel by several orders of magnitude has been balanced by a general Nato stand-down - compared to cold-war standards- and (in Denmarks case) a change of role.
Formerly we were the frontline state recieving reinforcement, now we are to give the reinforcement.

As to the main weapons: Well frigates now a days use the helicopters as their main armament, so quotations of essentially short range weapons for self- and task force protection confirms that.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Hvidtfelt: I'm more than anybody aware of the changed circumstances. So You don't like my attitude towards Swedes? That must be an idiosyncracy of Yours!
You do realize that Sweden and Denmark are both EU members and hold joint maneuvers, with the last just a month ago?

The main threat in the Baltic is Russia: It is the only factor, that has reasonably modern weapons in sufficient numbers, trained personel and functioning command structure. Thus have military potential.
With the size of the Danish Forces, comparable unlikely "potential threats" in the Baltic would be Russia, Germany, Sweden, Poland, Finland in that order. With Poland being a far more likely "threat" than Russia, considering the disputed EEZ between Denmark and Poland (southeast of Bornholm).

As to the main weapons: Well frigates now a days use the helicopters as their main armament, so quotations of essentially short range weapons for self- and task force protection confirms that.
SM-2 and Harpoon are short-ranged now?
Never mind that a helo couldn't carry comparable armament anyway, and has about the same mission range as a Harpoon.

The helo for the Patrol Ships (and Absalons) hasn't even been chosen yet. Will probably be either EH-101 or NH-90 - with the naval variant of NH-90 not really anywhere near flying at the moment, and EH-101 - the "more likely choice" - so far only qualified for Marconi Stingray ASW torpedoes (which, oops, Denmark doesn't have as it chose MU90), not even any light missiles.

What would you want on the ship for more "range"? Nuclear-tipped ASROCs? Anti-Ship Tomahawks? Regulus II? :eek:nfloorl:

The RDN has never planned to mine Soviet/Eas German or Polish waters in a major offensive pre-emptive action (maybe they would lay a few mines from Subs or FAC after the shooting has started)
Primarily because, within NATO in the 70s/80s, that was the job of Germany's 50+ auxiliary minelayers... with Denmark responsible for the Sund and north of it.