Abrams tank drivers

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Cooling vests are a poor mans AC and defenitely are less efficient at keeping the temperature at a sustainable level and, as you said, do nothing to protect the electronics.
Hey, at least they helped so that we did not paaas out. :D They did the same very bloody thing to the initial designed Stryker MGS knowing(they were told) there may be turret cooling issues in hot environments. :rolleyes:

jerrybault

Hey guys I'm a newbe to this forum but not to the MIA2 Abrams. Back in the early nineteen nineties I worked at General Dynamics in Sterling Heights MI. While there I designed some radio interface boards that allowed the British radios to communicate with the Abrams vetroninics. This gave that version of the tank a vehicle to vehicle digital communications link providing an IVIS like capability. Fun jobs to do but the GD management style and system design methods left a lot to be desired.
But I find that this forum seem to be quite unfriendly. I posted a message on a stealth forum and got an answer form some guy asking for confrmation of who I was but then the silly guy locked the thread so I could not even answer him. even more interesting was that now with the thread locked I can see a whole slew of other post that were not there last night. what gives???

shag

Cooling vests are a poor mans AC and defenitely are less efficient at keeping the temperature at a sustainable level and, as you said, do nothing to protect the electronics.
you are probably right! but when I mentioned efficiency, I meant energy efficiency(Energy used) in cooling rather amount of cooling.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Hey guys I'm a newbe to this forum but not to the MIA2 Abrams. Back in the early nineteen nineties I worked at General Dynamics in Sterling Heights MI. While there I designed some radio interface boards that allowed the British radios to communicate with the Abrams vetroninics. This gave that version of the tank a vehicle to vehicle digital communications link providing an IVIS like capability. Fun jobs to do but the GD management style and system design methods left a lot to be desired.
But I find that this forum seem to be quite unfriendly. I posted a message on a stealth forum and got an answer form some guy asking for confrmation of who I was but then the silly guy locked the thread so I could not even answer him. even more interesting was that now with the thread locked I can see a whole slew of other post that were not there last night. what gives???
I do not think that he was being unfriendly, just wants you to verify who you are. This more than likely can be resolved by sending him a PM to discuss the issue. Also you have to be careful what you decide to discuss on this forum and others like it, but if you have worked in the fields that you have stated then you already know this with your past and possibly present security clearances.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
you are probably right! but when I mentioned efficiency, I meant energy efficiency(Energy used) in cooling rather amount of cooling.
I know that they also tried using IDF designed cooling blankets/pads also for the Indian T-90S, I guess these never worked out and with the amount of turret space volume I can see why.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Ah ok, I missunderstood that.
That may be the case (I have no idea if one AC or some cooling vests need more power) but as I said that doesn't help you when your electronics are getting fried.

gyrfalcon16

Do any M1A1/2 drivers have some more info on this picture? I was wondering what caused this damage and if any of the crew were killed. I presume this is a photo is of an Abrams that hit a VBIED.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

Do any M1A1/2 drivers have some more info on this picture? I was wondering what caused this damage and if any of the crew were killed. I presume this is a photo is of an Abrams that hit a VBIED.
This is not a M1 series, you are looking at a IDF modified(upgraded) M-60 series.

Uxi

We lost an Abrams in the Euphrates in OIF. No way the driver was getting out and all 4 were actually KIA. The escape hatch on the bottom of the M60 is sometimes mentioned as desirable, though not when you here stories of them being lost along the way (especially during amphibious ops).

Depending on the fuel discipline needed, NBC can be used as AC on the M1A1. It's mostly not needed, though. You're sweating like crazy anyway, what's a few degrees. I know in Iraq, highest I recall my ammo temp was 127 and that's 10 degrees cooler than ambient...