A400m

SolarisKenzo

So first they retire and sell all the C-130Js in the fleet, and then the United Kingdom has scrapped plans to acquire additional Airbus A400M Atlas airlifters, saying it is no longer affordable.
I know it sounds strange, but there is a huge reform process currently undergoing in european air forces.
It is not only UK that is reluctant to invest in more transport planes, but also Germany, France, Italy and Spain ( and it is not due to the a400m, because Italy doesnt operate it ).
The point is that with the integration of European railroads and highways, many air forces found their cargo fleet to be bigger than their needs.
Take Italy, for example. Their fleet is currently based on KC767, C130 and C27.
Official documents and reports from the air force are that the C27 fleet will be totally converted into Spec-ops support planes ( EW, gunships...).
The C130s fleet will be reduced ( 4 planes will be sold to Sweden and 2/4 will be retired within 2024 ).

The answer to what seems a nonsense is kinda simple.
EATC. European Air Transport Command - Wikipedia

European countries currently operates more planes than they need.

I know UK isnt in EATC, but my post was more about a common policy in European air forces, and their backbone Is a400m...

Last edited:

STURM

In Malaysian service a role the A400M might perform in the future is as a rain maker. This role is currently performed by.C-130Hs and CN-235s; prior to that by Caribous.

What I found really surprising is that the RMAF has enabled its A400Ms to lay mines; a role it has also enabled its C-130s to perform.

Sandhi Yudha

Airbus Defence Twitter put announcement that Indonesian contract for two A400M is officially entered into force. Other Airbus source before talk outside 2 in contract there are also 4 optional.
Thank you for sharing.
I actually expected they will go for the A330MRTT, not only to support Garuda and to use GMF's expertise and experience, but also to be able to do refuels to F-16s and of course for the lower costs.

But it is for sure that TNI-AU 's capabilities will make a huge leap with these Mega Herculeses operating besides the normal and Super Herculeses.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Airbus and the Bundeswehr have test-launched a UAV from a (regular) A400M for the first time.

Press Release:

Video:

The trial is part of FCAS development for plans to use A400M as carriers for swarms of UCAV.

The launcher itself was already tested on a A400M in February. The main difference now is that this time it was launched by a military aircraft of the Luftwaffe (not an Airbus test aircraft) and the Do-DT25 drone launched, after initially being controlled in flight by a control station on the A400M, was handed over to another operator (on ground) for a separate mission and later landing.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Turkey has evacuated two A400M from Kyev after having had the aircraft - 20% of its A400M fleet - stuck there since Feb 24th, i.e. for 299 days.

The two aircraft had landed on Feb 24th a few hours before the war started officially carrying humanitarian supplies (generally suggested to have been a delivery of TB-2 UCAV instead) and were subsequently stuck in Ukraine despite repeated, intense negotiations with both sides for a possible air corridor. The crews were sheltered at the Turkish embassy in Kyev in the meantime.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Turkey has evacuated two A400M from Kyev after having had the aircraft - 20% of its A400M fleet - stuck there since Feb 24th, i.e. for 299 days.

The two aircraft had landed on Feb 24th a few hours before the war started officially carrying humanitarian supplies (generally suggested to have been a delivery of TB-2 UCAV instead) and were subsequently stuck in Ukraine despite repeated, intense negotiations with both sides for a possible air corridor. The crews were sheltered at the Turkish embassy in Kyev in the meantime.
A long time for kit and especially crew to be stranded.

Sandhi Yudha

The Indian Air Force is looking for around 40-80 transport aeroplanes with cargo-carrying capacity of between 18 and 30 tonnes. Because of this Airbus has pitched the A400M.
If Airbus can get an order from India, then India will become almost certainly A400M's largest export customer.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
LM C-130J, Airbus A-400M, Embrear C-390. Guess it is the candidates, unless Japan can manage to put their Kawasaki C-2 in competition. Japanese bureaucracy on defense export, from what I heard still deter some potential customers for Japan Defense Product.

Pity on present situation the plan Antonov and TAI hook up for developing turbofan AN-70 variance going nowhere (at least now). Russian IL-112 seems more suitable for lighter category (as C-295 competitors). Indian seems want to get something larger for their AN-26 replacement.

swerve

Super Moderator
A400M & C-2 can both lift over 30 tons, & C-130J is at the bottom end of the payload spread, so C-390 looks the best fit in terms of payload. But of course, other factors will be taken into account. I can't think of any other realistic candidates, given the payload requirement.