A question on PTSD

leela.th

Hi, I am Leela from India. My brother was in Indian Army. I want to know more about Post-traumatic stress disorder and how to recognize that precisely. I tried to find articles on the issue especially with Indian cases but couldn't find more.

He was an angry young man but with a good heart and had lot of respect for parents especially for my mom. He wanted to join Indian army [not for financial reasons] and served there close to 13 years. He had to fight against terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir and maoists [domestic terrorism] in Assam and he was there in Andaman island when hit by Tsunami and assisted people over there and faced similar other terrifying situations which may be smaller in nature.

We didn't notice any difference in his nature during that period and he never use to brief us about any of such situations except to his friends. Just 3-4 months before leaving the army he started to have fights during his holidays. No pressure from anyone to leave the service, it was his decision. And once he was back from the army he fought often with his wife and parents for petty reasons and sometimes it went severe. He was drinking heavily during these days. Eventually one day for no reason he started a fight and later took his own life.

In my brother’s case was there any symptoms of PTSD or any other such problems that he may have faced? Please clarify.

In India there is not much awareness about PTSD or any other related illnesses, in such cases how to convince the victim and get them the treatment needed so that it doesn’t end in tragic, please advice.

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Leela, I can't give you any personal advice but maybe some of the other posters on here would be in a better position to do so.

You could also try this website, which is an online community dedicated to PTSD sufferers and supporters. This might prove useful in terms of getting in touch with other people in the same or similar positions to yourself - hopefully they have a lot of good, practical advice for you.

https://www.ptsdforum.org/c/portal/

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, and I hope this is helpful to you.

Cheers,

Bonza

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Leela, apart from Bonza's link, I could also recommend a book which may give you an insight into how one soldier dealt with and is still dealing with his PTSD

Although it is from an australian soldiers personal experiences, there may be some useful elements which are common symptoms and behavioural traits.

It is worth reading, let me me know if you want more details.

bounce dot rubbish at gmail dot com

I've got a few mates who have traveled this road - and every one of them has been different in how they dealt with it - some more than others, and not always with medical success. It's incredibly hard on family and friends as the individuals with PTSD may struggle to see how anyone can understand them unless they have served - and then they can struggle to tell any mates who are serving with them as they feel inadequate.

At the end of this, I am a firm believer that you do need to also seek some extra support and counseling wherever available ,as you also need help to get some closure.