A hypothetical carrier buy for the RAN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoresBasher

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I think they are pretty interested ! to the point that they sent over people to inspect it before xmas :)
Yup most of us are aware of that:)
It's the whole deciding the fate of the LPA's (and Tobruk) and what they are going to do, that has the crews of 3 ships, on tender hooks, anxiously waiting the outcome.

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Yup most of us are aware of that:)
It's the whole deciding the fate of the LPA's (and Tobruk) and what they are going to do, that has the crews of 3 ships, on tender hooks, anxiously waiting the outcome.
Pay off the worst of them, I can't see that they would get rid of all 3 right away, just enought for the manning requirements otherwise they can run the risk of manning problems come the LHD's with no billets ashore to take up the rest, its just swapping one unit for another at this stage

StoresBasher

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Pay off the worst of them, I can't see that they would get rid of all 3 right away, just enought for the manning requirements otherwise they can run the risk of manning problems come the LHD's with no billets ashore to take up the rest, its just swapping one unit for another at this stage
No they wouldn't get rid of three, but the effect would be felt through the 3 ships.

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
No they wouldn't get rid of three, but the effect would be felt through the 3 ships.
Yeah absolutely it would, especially at potentially such short notice, with most of the impact on the current crews. Navy Office already have the plans in place, just a bit earlier than expected so from that side of things its just a change of sequence of events.
I bet there are a few putting their hands up to go and pick her up though :D

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Wow, right now that would be hard to work out which one is first...seems they are all leaping for the title of worst of the lot...:rolleyes:

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
two of them are neck and neck for that honour...
Yeah a mate of mine is a project manager down at GI and he said.....
well enough of that anyway, this is factual stuff in a hypothetical thread

So hypothetically speaking, there has been a lot of talk about a QE in the thread, what would be peoples thoughts on the aircraft for this ? As a bit of realism I think it would be impracticle to start up the FAA again and the associated problems with staff, maintainance and the associated cost of bringing Nowra up to scratch, do you think it would be a viable option to make our F-35 purchase the Carrier Variant instead of the A, and to have the RAAF pilot them as another Purple assett.
This way you can rotate pilots from the pool, all aircraft/maint etc would be from the one pool and there home base could be Williamtown. While I am not sure of the pricing difference between the A & C it is obviously not the same as the B, and with the added range of the C this would be an advantage for regular squadron's as well ? Just a thought :)

Kirkzzy

So hypothetically speaking, there has been a lot of talk about a QE in the thread, what would be peoples thoughts on the aircraft for this ? As a bit of realism I think it would be impracticle to start up the FAA again and the associated problems with staff, maintainance and the associated cost of bringing Nowra up to scratch, do you think it would be a viable option to make our F-35 purchase the Carrier Variant instead of the A, and to have the RAAF pilot them as another Purple assett.
This way you can rotate pilots from the pool, all aircraft/maint etc would be from the one pool and there home base could be Williamtown. While I am not sure of the pricing difference between the A & C it is obviously not the same as the B, and with the added range of the C this would be an advantage for regular squadron's as well ? Just a thought :)
Yes it is best to move the thread on and all the Bay class possible purchase to the main RAN thread... Well it seems to me "the pros" have already said that it would cost like 9 times the original price or something. Problem with going for the C variant is I don't think it has an internal cannon either. A is the best dog fighter/all rounder of the variants.

Although hypothetically I still really really badly want to have a "little" toy named HMAS Australia. :D Using the Super Hornets.

SASWanabe

Well it seems to me "the pros" have already said that it would cost like 9 times the original price or something. Problem with going for the C variant is I don't think it has an internal cannon either. A is the best dog fighter/all rounder of the variants.

Although hypothetically I still really really badly want to have a "little" toy named HMAS Australia. :D Using the Super Hornets.
i believe through life costs are usualy 3-4 times original price.

i havnt heard anything about the C not having a gun

and i personaly think that naming a ship
Her Majesty's Australian Ship Australia sounds kinda stupid.

id love to see her named Vampire tho

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

Well I'm not sure how much damage was done to RAAF Amberly by the recent floods but the F/A-18F is a carrier based aircraft looking for a carrier.

Kirkzzy

i believe through life costs are usualy 3-4 times original price.

i havnt heard anything about the C not having a gun

and i personaly think that naming a ship
Her Majesty's Australian Ship Australia sounds kinda stupid.

id love to see her named Vampire tho
F-35B/C has no internal guns?

The B and C variants are using a gun pod I think which somehow detracts from the stealth.. but I honestly got no idea how it would affect the stealth, just that the A variant is the best all round for stealth, pay load (no internal add ons like lifting fans or anything) and manoeuvrability.

As for "HMAS Australia" that was the original name for the Melbourne replacement.

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
F-35B/C has no internal guns?

The B and C variants are using a gun pod I think which somehow detracts from the stealth.. but I honestly got no idea how it would affect the stealth, just that the A variant is the best all round for stealth, pay load (no internal add ons like lifting fans or anything) and manoeuvrability.

As for "HMAS Australia" that was the original name for the Melbourne replacement.
Is there really a need for guns this day and age ?

Pro's and Con's for all models, but I would have thought the lack of internal guns would be a small trade off for having better range with the higher internal fuel and to have a common platform

Some Shornet's would also be handy, and we can swap some of the pre-wired frames over to the Growler as well

HMAS Australia would be the perfect name for such a ship with a rich and proud history within the RAN and to the Country

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
No the original name, at least in the RAN at the time, was HMAS Inevitable ;) -

I had a posting to her which Mr Fraser cancelled.....:(

Sea Toby

hmas oceania,.

edit...and when we become a republic then Australian Naval Ship Oceania.
And I was under the impression by law Australian capital ships had to be named after the capital cities or the nation... An aircraft carrier would qualify as a capital ship... However, I may be mistaken...

swerve

Super Moderator
And I was under the impression by law Australian capital ships had to be named after the capital cities or the nation... An aircraft carrier would qualify as a capital ship... However, I may be mistaken...
What if Australia got more capital ships than it has capitals? :D

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
its gettin close, 2LHD 3AWD... there only 6 states 2 more ships and were full

probably end up using NZ capitals
Only one Capital city in New Zealand - Wellington - and thats already taken.

You could pay homage to us by naming future ships after Kiwi's who have down well in Australia. That Joh Peterson bloke who used to run Queensland, Russell Crowe, Phar Lap .... or politicians like Helen Clark,,,:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.