80 Al-Zarrar tanks given to Pakistan Army

mysterious

Revival_786 said:
Pakistan's economy is going strong, and Pakistan needs the mininum deterance. What Pakistan is doing is justified.
Thats exactly what I said in my earlier posts but yeah, the balancing act is also very necessary between military spending and economic spending otherwise things can become pretty ugly! :smokingc:

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
:cop :cop Discussion is about Al-Zarrar tanks, NOT about military spending. There is a separate thread for that. :cop :cop

darklegent

Can anyone come up with the actual number of upgraded Al-Zarrar that will be produced from the original 1200+ T-59 that are in the inventary.

lamdacore

Aren't al-zarrar and al-khalid for desert combat only? I remember reading it in some newspaper. Can someone please explain on the terrain these tanks were designed for!

thnx!

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
Rough terrain to generalise the whole thing. But theres no reason to stop them from operating in the Sialkot, Punjab and any other region except perhaps to the extreme north.

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
lamdacore said:
Aren't al-zarrar and al-khalid for desert combat only? I remember reading it in some newspaper. Can someone please explain on the terrain these tanks were designed for!

thnx!
Most tanks are not designed for a specific terrain but have to be able to deal with a variety of terrains. However, for desert warfare, you may want to add a few items like additional dust-filters, air-conditioning, bigger side-skirts to reduce the amount of dust being thrown up by tracks. If you were headed for snow, you might add a heater. If you were headed for marshly terrain, you might used a wider track (compare MT-LB and MT-LBv). I think marshly or very mountenous terrain are the only cases for which I know vehicles have been specially designed (generally resulting in a lighter vehicle)

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Dust is the single biggest threat for a tank in a desert theatre. The US was going through dust filters every day on some tanks in Kuwait.

It plays havoc with aircraft/helicopter engines as well.

adsH

remmber thisgf the pakistanis did design there tanks for desert combat they have deserts too the baloch desert and the sind dert then so i would say if the basic plat form is a T8u improved upwards then it would certainly be a competiter for the russian t90 (which BTW can now shoot its tank rounds lol while its haveing trasiant over heating erorr (russian turbine engine aren't good in deserts)). the british tanks had the sand dust problem too we had a raow over here in the MOD which is responisble for R&D and new fixes they just didn't have the adjustment ready for the tanks when the MBT tanks left for iraq but theyr ok now.

Roger Smith

mysterious said:
Pretty impressive I must say. Seems like the T-59s had a new life breathed in to them! :smokingc:

Mys.....Al-Zarrar MBT is basically the old T-59s with new paint and new cosmetic, that is end of story. I hope my comments is not offending any individual. :smokingc:

The Watcher

roger al-zarrar is t-59 with over 53 upgrades < thats does not qualify as "new paint and new cosmetic" another example of typical indian with typical comment on down grading anything and everything related to pak. pathetic souls! :roll

Roger Smith

The Watcher said:
roger al-zarrar is t-59 with over 53 upgrades < thats does not qualify as "new paint and new cosmetic" another example of typical indian with typical comment on down grading anything and everything related to pak. pathetic souls! :roll

Watcher..........You are too sensitive on any Pakistani issue.

Naturally, if T-59s are being upgraded to Al-Zarrar, obviously and understandably there would be some changes here and there with the instruments totalling 53 upgardes.

Read this article, POF (Pakistan Ordinace Factory) is making consumer goods and unable to make military hardware. POF to manufature consumer goods. this is from a Pakistani news media DAWN and not any Israeli or Indian propoganda.

http://www.dawn.com/2004/03/10/top6.htm

Please live in reality and stop picking on me at every first opportunity you have. :)

Thank you for your attention on the above aspect and take care. ;)

The Watcher

roger, read if you can:

ISLAMABAD, March 9: The Pakistan Ordnance Factories (POF) plans to manufacture items of commercial use to diversify its activities to achieve capacity utilization to offset budgetary constraints for defence requirement.
For any company to survive it must diversify. It must make products that consumers can use and make products only national military forces can use. It helps the company find a new market and new way to make extra capital while maintaining the same industry infrastructure. Its a smart move ahead and nothing wrong with it besides, we are not discussing investment plan of POF. I don't know why you keep introducing irrelevant crap in all most all of your replies when you feel you've lost one argument!

53+ MAJOR upgrades, one should not take that lightly as paintjob and some cosmetics... what would you know? Only think you would care about is how to degrade and demean pakistan and things related to it.

adsH

POF is not makeing consumer good because they can't make weapons its because the requirment of weapons is negative the demand is not there any more. the decision is based on the economic prinicpals where the actual potencial to manufacture and the actuall production is different. so if the actuall potencial is not used it is a waste of resource namely labour which is un economical as all the skilled labour are constant so if there is nothing to make at that point ie u have fished makeing the stuff u were spose to make it is a drain of your resource to not make any thing so thats the reson why they have started secondary production. not becuase they suck at makeing what they were orignally spose to make.

adsH

diversity is a good ideia so if u don't have a considrable demand u can switch to another product there fore u don't let ur product prices fall and the demand can be controlled this is what is wrong about other defence industries which are so specific that diversity is impossible.

adsH

POF dose not make tanks it makes samll combat arms HIT makes tanks which is not going through under utilization.