80 Al-Zarrar tanks given to Pakistan Army

Roger Smith

shamayel said:
Here is an older picture of the Al-Zarrar. This one is an earlier prototype.

Nice picture and very impressive! :smokingc:

Al-Zarrar is basically a Chinese T-59 with certain modifications.

zali

Doesn't anyone think we have already spent enough on tanks that will never be used, fighter jets that are only likey to be used for aerobatics? Lets set military spending aside and start spending more on education and healthcare. Instead of developing a new plane, why not shut down all the mad madrassas and set up new schools? Would be a much better use of money. And at the end of the day, the most potent weapon you can have is an educated, healthy and motivated population. :)

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
zali said:
Doesn't anyone think we have already spent enough on tanks that will never be used, fighter jets that are only likey to be used for aerobatics? Lets set military spending aside and start spending more on education and healthcare. Instead of developing a new plane, why not shut down all the mad madrassas and set up new schools? Would be a much better use of money. And at the end of the day, the most potent weapon you can have is an educated, healthy and motivated population. :)
I woudve agreed with u if it hadnt been for 1 teeny weeny lil fact. An educated, healthy and motivated population gets slaughtered the same way an underfed, impoverished and uneducated does. While i maintain tht im not a hyper extremist and war mongerer the fact remains tht the economy takes some time to get started and time is simply wat we dont have. Indian extremists are pushing for an attack on pakistan somewhere around 2010 by which time most of Indias military hardware would be functional. Therefore we must spend more on defence at a time like this while still keeping our economy within acceptable limits without cutting down on defence. Once we get the deterrent hardware we need we can concentrate more on our educational and economical field as no military can function without a strong economical backing.

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
There should always be a balance in a country's spending. Defence is of paramount concern to any country.

Anyways the picture I posted above is an old one.
Here is the latest with Gen. Mushy posing at front. :smokingc: :smokingc:

Roger Smith

zali said:

Zali........I salute you for the aforementioned statement. :idea:

You are one of the decent, mature and intelligent guy on this forum. :smokingc:

mysterious

zali said:
I dont think at this stage, a country like Pakistan can stop spending on military and equipment while increasing amounts to be spent on education and healthcare. ONLY Pakistan ARMY is able enough to face the Indian ARMY at this point in time! PAF and PN are pretty much in chaos because of non-acquisition of advanced arms and equipment. Look at India, day by day you keep hearing news of it buying this and it buying that; stock piling and enhancing equipment and military hardware inventories! What are you going to do with better education and healthcare when in the near future India decides to attack you? It goes hand in hand; you have to balance the act of spending on social services as well as the military! Pakistan right now, desparately needs advanced figher jets and more naval vessels!! :cop

Winter

mysterious said:
I dont think at this stage, a country like Pakistan can stop spending on military and equipment while increasing amounts to be spent on education and healthcare. ONLY Pakistan ARMY is able enough to face the Indian ARMY at this point in time! PAF and PN are pretty much in chaos because of non-acquisition of advanced arms and equipment. Look at India, day by day you keep hearing news of it buying this and it buying that; stock piling and enhancing equipment and military hardware inventories! What are you going to do with better education and healthcare when in the near future India decides to attack you? It goes hand in hand; you have to balance the act of spending on social services as well as the military! Pakistan right now, desparately needs advanced figher jets and more naval vessels!! :cop
More?...Hmm...

I would curious to hear your definition of 'enough.'

:frosty

mysterious

Winter said:
mysterious said:
More?...Hmm...

I would curious to hear your definition of 'enough.'

Yeah I meant it when I said "more". I think it has enough to do pretty serious damage to Indian Navy and its harbours but yeah we need more to be at exactly half of Indian Navy's power or a little more than that to put up a MORE solid defence! :cop

Winter

mysterious said:
Yeah I meant it when I said "more". I think it has enough to do pretty serious damage to Indian Navy and its harbours but yeah we need more to be at exactly half of Indian Navy's power or a little more than that to put up a MORE solid defence! :cop
Half of the Indian Navy's power?...But what if that requires thirty new warships? Or an aircraft carrier? And to get there means spending, say, 10% of the GDP for instance?

mysterious

Winter said:
mysterious said:
Half of the Indian Navy's power?...But what if that requires thirty new warships? Or an aircraft carrier? And to get there means spending, say, 10% of the GDP for instance?
LOL PN doesnt need an aircraft carrier as it doesnt have any blue water navy ambitions unlike the Indians. And getting half their number doesn't mean getting 30 new ships! I can imagine how much u're dreaming. Buying just 10 would do perfect if you have read the latest inventories of the two navies as of late 2003!!! PN just needs a defensive force not an offensive one!

Winter

mysterious said:
LOL PN doesnt need an aircraft carrier as it doesnt have any blue water navy ambitions unlike the Indians. And getting half their number doesn't mean getting 30 new ships! I can imagine how much u're dreaming. Buying just 10 would do perfect if you have read the latest inventories of the two navies as of late 2003!!! PN just needs a defensive force not an offensive one!
I used it as an example.

mysterious

Frozen Hell said:
So they made some 54+ changes/upgrades to it. Does anyone know what are they? :?
If you search through related posts you will find the info there. I think there's a thread or post from someone that clearly mentions it all. But yeah; one thing's for sure! There are 54 major upgrades done to it!

Winter

mysterious said:
Yeah I know. Thats why you need to pay more attention to the rest of my post.
I'm afraid you misunderstood me: I didn't say Pakistan needed an aircraft carrier, I was emphasising my question on the matter of more, or what is needed, whether it be an aircraft carrier or not, a fleet of ten new SSKs, acquirement of Type-x MANPAD, etc.

mysterious

Winter said:
mysterious said:
Yeah I know. Thats why you need to pay more attention to the rest of my post.
I'm afraid you misunderstood me: I didn't say Pakistan needed an aircraft carrier, I was emphasising my question on the matter of more, or what is needed, whether it be an aircraft carrier or not, a fleet of ten new SSKs, acquirement of Type-x MANPAD, etc.

I understood you very well. Get over the aircraft carrier. I just said PN didnt need that cuz u used it as an example and I just said even 10 more vessels would be enough for PN. Thats abt it. :smokingc: MORE and ENOUGH go together.

Winter

mysterious said:
I understood you very well. Get over the aircraft carrier. I just said PN didnt need that cuz u used it as an example and I just said even 10 more vessels would be enough for PN. Thats abt it. :smokingc: MORE and ENOUGH go together.
I'm afraid you've lost me. :?

------------

A country must judge for itself what to budget and where to spend it, based around several factors, including it's assessment of it's strategic situation. Like shamayel said, it's a matter of balance. Sacrificing the economy for defence will backfire and vice versa, in some cases...Case in point: North Korea and the Soviet Union.