Welcome to the World Cup!!!!

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
It's time to start a thread about the Football (NOT Soccer!!!) World Cup in South Africa!

Only two days to go until the cup starts.
Although my heart hopes for Germany to win it my head says otherwise. Our team lost his captain and for reasons I don't understand our trainer keeps Klose in the team. But we are young and may have some surprises ready for the others. The quarterfinal is defenitely possible. Everything after that is a bonus. Not that I wouldn't welcome this bonus.

My objective first pick is Spain. This team is just so complete it's not funny. They can only beat themselves on the way to the final.

As always when a World Cup is not in europe one has to look for Brazil and Argentina.
Italy is a natural candidate too but I won't bet on them.

England isn't going to make it. Sorry but they are just incompetent when it comes to perform in a cup. I see no reason why this shouldn't be the case this time. Their defense looks rather shacky, too.

Interestingly, as we have a big Aussie community here, the first game of group D will be Germany - Australia. I really like you guys but if we don't crush you I bang my head at the wall.
Nevertheless I think that Australia may survive the group phase again. The most important game will the one against Serbia as I think they will be their direct adversaries for the second place in group D with Ghana coming in last.

So what are your thoughts on and hopes for the coming sport event number 1?

:germany:germany:germany

Grand Danois

Entertainer
The Danish side suffers from a handful of aging and injured key players backed up by inexperienced new talent - it is a transition phase.

My prediction for the Danish side is the following:

Loss to Holland in the opening match in Group E.

Win over Cameroun and Japan.

Loss to Italy in the eight-finals

If win to Denmark over Italy, then we'll meet our eternal nemesis: the dastardly Spaniards in the quarter-finals!

Forza Dinamarca!

:cheers:denmark:cheers

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If Italy really happens that you meet Italy in the eight-finals and beat them I send you a beer per mail.

Mortal enemies since 2006! :mad:

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
What a game...

What a keeper...

Congratulations to the USA. A deserved 1:1.
First France now the guys from the island.
Maybe the English now loose against Slovenia and leave early. Wouldn't upset me...:p:

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I regret everything I said!
What a crushing victory!!!

Beautifull football at it's best!
Sorry for our Aussie members...:p:

:germany :cheers :germany

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
I must say, very silly and basic mistake by the English Goalie but what can you do? Good luck next time!

Glad it was US though, Congratulations! :D

Firn

Certainly the best football so far, kudos to the German team. One swallow does not make a spring, but so far it was the third good performance in a row. Even before I hold the quality of the German attack play in higher regard than most, but we will have to see them against another yardstick. It is hard to tell if the Germans were that good or the Ozzies so bad.

Italy suffered as usual and lacks this times much in quality, as overall the available players are lacking it more than in most games and as Lippi left difficult but talented players as Balotelli, Cassano and Miccoli at home. We will see how far this team can get.

Firn

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I have to say that I was a bit disappointed with Italy.
It's not unusual that Italy has problems in the group phase but yesterday they lacked any sign of ideas in the offense. It is no shame to get a goal against Paraguay but the problem is that Italy had no instrument to penetrate the compact defense.

BTW, cudos to our New Zealanders. First point in a world cup ever. Congratulations.

I find the Cup rather surprising so far. Many of the top teams struggled. France, England and Italy only managed to get one point. The Dutch were also not convincing but at least they won 2:0. Argentina played good but had problems to use the chances they got.

Also other teams had real problems. For example Serbia, Slovakia and Cameroon were all teams I thought would play much better than they actually did.

And not many goals so far, which is a bit dissapointing.

I now look forward to Portugal vs the Ivory Coast which hopefully will be a good game.
And it is will be interesting to see how NK manages their game against Brazil.

Firn

I have to say that I was a bit disappointed with Italy.
It's not unusual that Italy has problems in the group phase but yesterday they lacked any sign of ideas in the offense. It is no shame to get a goal against Paraguay but the problem is that Italy had no instrument to penetrate the compact defense.

BTW, cudos to our New Zealanders. First point in a world cup ever. Congratulations.

I find the Cup rather surprising so far. Many of the top teams struggled. France, England and Italy only managed to get one point. The Dutch were also not convincing but at least they won 2:0. Argentina played good but had problems to use the chances they got.
Well, most teams focus more than ever on a good, disciplined defense. And as Clausewitz already told us, the defense is the stronger form of the game. Not many attack with many men, and a lot of team seem to struggle with their offensive game, be it the high altitude or the ball. :rolleyes:

With so much at stake the managers try naturally to limit the risks, more so the weaker sides.

Firn

P.S: Italy and Paraguay are actually very similar sides even if Italy has more quality. (Paraguay on the other hand did very well during the Q-phase). Both have a very solid defense and attack only out of a secured one. Both goals very pretty casual or better were casual goals which were not casual at all as both shoot a lot of goals from such standards.

Marc 1

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro

Yep, I'll admit - it was just short of school desks and a whiteboard being brought out onto the field so the Germans could teach us a proper lesson. Bugger...:coffee

Mind you, I'm still a tad surprised at the red card - wot, did the ref get kicked by a kangaroo when on holiday down under?

Now, when's the cricket back on...Giving the poms a good flogging will restore my spirits:D

Onto a different team, I thought the South Koreans played well - they'll be the dark horses of the tournament along with NZ being one of the surprises...

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I agree that the red card was too harsh a punishment.
And I think that SK played well, too.

As always I am a little bit dissapointed with the referees. Guys from Usbekistan and the Seychelles among 22 Professional players. That just doesn't fit and the amount of weird decisions shows that.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Guys, do you think Brazil will bounce back..I know they still doing well in terms of possition on the group, however watching them play...I'm sorry it's not Brazil that I know.

Anyway..historically no European nations ever win World Cup conducted outside Europe..Will be historicall if the first game in Africa can be win by an European nation..
Afterall First game in North America (1994) won by Brazil..
First game in Asia (2002) also won by Brazil..
First game in Africa..??
Historically Brazil will have the edge...The English with all their stars..historically are not doing well in the World Cup..somehow bad luck almost running to them with exception 1966...
Sometimes I wonder if there's an UK team...how it will be fare..with combine tallent of England, Scotland, Wales (and of course Northern Irish)...something to considered though..

BTW, no offense intended..but if the Yanks come out better in the Group than the English..can you imagine what Travesty it is..??:D

Last edited:

Marc 1

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I agree that the red card was too harsh a punishment.
And I think that SK played well, too.
Actually cards are being flashed around as though it was some sort of poker tournament...Gawd, some of the tiny touches or even players tripping themselves up and penalties and yellow cards being awarded....

Lets bring back a bit more of the biff eh? Then again, it could just be the real football I watched last night talking...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsaecGidEGY:D

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I'm with you in this. Too many cards are shown for minor fouls.

I have problems opening the Youtube link with my IPhone but if it is about this game which is called football in the US but is played by hand 95% of the time than I don't want to see it anyway... ;)

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
I am for the Germany. But let me also tell you I bring bad luck to the team I support. They always reach final of the World Cup just to lose it.

Supported France in 2006; France lost to Italy final
Supported Germany in 2002; Germany lost to Brazil in final
Supported Brazil in 1998; Brazil lost to France in final

God help Germany!

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
& the curse travels down to the group matches :(

Last edited: