Cyom

Commander Cody

Me again- anybody want to do a CYOM ? (create your own military ). You have 1 trillion dollars, and you create a military. It is discussed, and then more peole make militaries. Anybody up for it ?
Cody :flame

EXSSBN2005

What can be our assumptions? for example are we just buying hardware/gear or do we have to factor in salaries also, is this a long standing army or are we going with the soldiers are private soldiers (mercernaries for hire) and if so whats the budget for the next years upkeep? What type of terrain are we in, for example if I'm defending a large country with maritime and land borders would be different than an island nation or a landlocked one (call it india, australia, belarus). Should we use the suppliers that the country would nominally buy/recieve gear from ie: mostly eastern or western depending on who is supplying the gear to them currently? Do we have to do our own R&D for stuff in this budget or can it just show up? What about logistics? Any idea of whom are we going to be fighting or just the generic be ready for anything? Do we need to set aside money for COIN or can we assume the population that we will be conducting operations amoung (we already lost) will be our own or at least friendly? a trillion goes a very long way unless we start chipping away at all the little things that make a military actually go. Pick a country or at least a land mass and population base for recruitment and we can go from there. :flame

Commander Cody

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Okay: You are in Australia. The population is 1,000,000,000. Salaries aren't figured in, just a rifle a man. I'm working on my military.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's the economy like? What's regional/global power balance? With a population of 1 billion people, our Australia must be a super power. Also, the 1 trillion dollars figure is interesting. Is that per year? Or just the money to start off with?

EDIT: So just a rifle? No flak jacket? No helmets? What about night vision? Optics?

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
EDIT: So just a rifle? No flak jacket? No helmets? What about night vision? Optics?
At one trillion dollar and one billion citizens, you could just draft every single citizen old enough to hold a rifle, hand them one each and then and swarm the rest of the planet. Human wave. With sufficient manpower it works.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
And a boat+paddle.
They have to be able to leave their "Australia", don't they.
Well, with some training they could probably build a human bridge to the next spot of dry land...

As they not even mind to get paid I expect little resistance to Kato's idea...

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
At one trillion dollar and one billion citizens, you could just draft every single citizen old enough to hold a rifle, hand them one each and then and swarm the rest of the planet. Human wave. With sufficient manpower it works.
I suppose if you have enough bodies you can get the tanks stuck in the humans piles.

On a related note, if you can get them to form a giant human ball, they could roll around, squishing entire armies in their path.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I suppose if you have enough bodies you can get the tanks stuck in the humans piles.
They have hands. They can dig anti-tank trenches with them.

Well, with some training they could probably build a human bridge to the next spot of dry land...
Nah, you build the bridges out of a few hundred million of the rifles... and ducktape.

Commander Cody

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Okay. You all make me look like an idiot.
Your mission: Create an army of a max size 30 million. Spread that out among the military. You also have to write plans fr a defense line. Salaries included. Use any weapons, ships, etc. You're fighting the Indonesians and New Zealanders. And please, make it smart.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Seriously, what do you try to achieve?
One doesn't write down the ORBAT of armed forces and all the related costs especially not of 30 million strong ones. That would be an academic challenge of epic proportions for one lonely person with hundreds of pages.

How do you even come to the number of 30 million? The US has what? 1.4 million active troops? And you want 30 million to fight of the Indonesians and Kiwis?
Put any armed forces of Australias current capabilities or better into Oz and you are done. It's not like the Indonesians are a military powerhouse...

And the Kiwis. No disrespect intended but one is hard pressed to even find some militaries out there which are less capable than the Kiwis (not on a personal level but at the force size, structure and equipment level).

I bet you couldn't realistically assess the related costs of armed forces numbering a mere 60.000 troops. Or do now what it costs to operate all the equipment you want to buy? I don't and it would be some hell of a work to find it out.

T.C.P

Your mission: Create an army of a max size 30 million. Spread that out among the military. You also have to write plans fr a defense line. Salaries included. Use any weapons, ships, etc. You're fighting the Indonesians and New Zealanders. And please, make it smart.
30 Million men. WOW! Why do you want to attack Indonesia and Newzealand?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
And the Kiwis. No disrespect intended but one is hard pressed to even find some militaries out there which are less capable than the Kiwis (not on a personal level but at the force size, structure and equipment level).
Tadjikistan? S. Ossetia? Pridnestrovye?

Distinguished company. :D

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
And the UCK wasn't exactly badly armed either, for being infantry-only.

It's not that hard to find militaries with less capabilities than NZ though. Ireland comes to mind, for a country of similar size. Tajikistan. Namibia. Lithuania.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
You are creating an army because of what?
Because armies tend to be tailored to meet the threat a country faces (Apart from showcase forces like these lovely female household guard Gaddafi is fielding...).

Have you tried to address the other points I and others raised so far?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Okay- just realizd US Army size.:confused:And you're not being attacked by anyone. Your just creating n army.
Armies exist for a purpose. What's the purpose of our military? We have 1 billion population, and an island nation. Given this context, what are we trying to do?

T.C.P

One billion people on an island. hmm..... then shouldn't we concentrate more on a navy and strong air and air defence force instead of an army.
For an Island nation the sea route and trade is its life source, unless of course it is able to make everything it needs on its own(highly unlikey), so the first job would be to have a blue water anvy to protect your meerchant fleet.
Also if the 'Island' country has no plans to invade another island or the mainland then having a large army would be a waste of money and resources. Being waterlocked a strong navy should be enough to protect it from any threats.

My2Cents

$1 trillion dollar / 30 million men = $33,333 per man.

So it must be all light infantry. With salaries and basic benefits you won't have any money left. You might not have even have enough to cover that.