US Army or US Marines

• Army

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Marines

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sarsfieldusmc

if you were drafted into the us military, which would you join?
i plan to join the marines so i would go into the marines

Army
-Meant for Occupation, guarding etc( except for rangers and SF)
-Better equipment
- quicker promotions
- Better SF

Marines
- does most of the big engagements aginst the enemy
- better training, smaller which means has a deeper pool of combat hardened nco's and officers
- Takes a long time to get promoted

Onkel

Army
-Better equipment
- quicker promotions
- Better SF

Marines
- better training, smaller which means has a deeper pool of combat hardened nco's and officers
I´m not from the US and I´m not sure about the better training, but apart from that, I´d chose quicker promotion, better equipment over beeing the first to engage the enemy. ;)
May be, you will once wish not to have been the first and not "combat hardend", young friend

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Marines. Any day. Not only more rigorous training, but those Dress Blue Alphas are just too good.

Spetsznaz

Oh my god i hate the whole army vs marine thing

The Army does just as much as work as the marines, plus and I COULD BE WRONG AND THIS IS MY VIEW depending on what country the marines are always obaying the navy and are more or less the navy's "subbranch"

If you are combat hungry go ahead and serve the marines:(

Last edited:

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh my god i hate the whole army vs marine thing

The Army does just as much as work as the marines, plus and I COULD BE WRONG AND THIS IS MY VIEW depending on what country the marines are the navy's bitch:(

If you are combat hungry go ahead and serve the marines:(
Erm - do you not understand that saying stuff like "the marines are the navy's bitch" isn't acceptable even if you qualify your statement as just being "your view"? It's an inflammatory and simplistic statement any way you look at it.

edit: If you want to discuss things like this, do it constructively. Don't make statements about so and so being someone's bitch - it's ridiculous.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I wont say it, I'm a dog face... I just wont comment on the Marines other than...

Good for you for considering the military, no matter what branch you pick.

Mannerheim

Why even compare the two. Both brances perform diffrent duties, and sometimes the same duties. Depends on the theatre of war, and what campaign.;)

Spetsznaz

Does anyone know who gets paid more, the army or marine troops, pay includes rank, special skills to the job ect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Armyguy

Pay

Does anyone know who gets paid more, the army or marine troops, pay includes rank, special skills to the job ect.
All people who serve in the military get payed the same based on rank.
an E-5 in the army will get the same basic pay as an E-5 in the air force navy or marine corps.
most skill schools are available to all branches depending on occupation
the difference lies in the rate of promotion, benefits, hazardous duty pay and other things. hope this helped

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Play nice guys. A tongue in cheek comment here and there is fine, but no flaming please.

T.C.P

the Marines and the Army are both professional services created to protect ones nations interests. they both provide a lot of opportunity to see action and to serve the nation.
If you are the type of person who wants to go into combat first and quickly obliterate the enemy then the Marines is the place for you as the marines are the first strike force sent into combat overseas.

sgtgunn

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Let's clear some things up.

The US Army is not meant for "-Meant for Occupation, guarding etc". It is the primary land warfighting force of the United States, and provides the vast majority of combat troops.

And while the USMC does particpate heavily in both OIF and OEF, claiming that it " does most of the big engagements aginst the enemy" is completely incorrect,

The US Army has always done the vast majority of fighting in our Nation's wars, simply by virtue of being much larger.

The US Army (including it's reserve components) has over 1 million soldiers in boots, compared to ~250,000 active and reserve US Marines.

There are probably more combat troops (infantry, armor, artillery, cavalry, air defese, combat aviation, spec ops) in the US Army than there are Marines of any kind.

As an example, ~70% of US KIA in OIF have been suffered by the US Army, Army National Guard and Army Reserve.

This is true both today, and historically. In WW2, when there were 660,000 Marines (a bit more than double the amount today) there were 11 million soldiers in the US Army. This includes the Army Air Corps (since there was no Air Force yet), but there were 4-1/2 million US Army soldiers engaged in ground combat during the course of the war.

Guess how many Marines landed in North Africa, Sicilly, Italty, Normandy, or Southern France?

Zero.

This is not meant as a slight to the USMC, who certainly has alway been in the forefront of battle in our Nation's wars, but it is grossly incorrect, and bit insulting to imply that the US Army is only good for provding garrison soldiers and "gaurding".

The Marine Corps has a very specific role in the US Military - it provides the US with a small, but powerful rapid intervention force that can deploy combat power anywhere in the world (or at least anywhere within helicopter range of the ocean) on very short notice. It is something that the Marines are very good at, and should be justifiably proud of. They are NOT however, the United States primary land combat force. That role belongs to the US Army.

Both are excellent career choices, and the decision utlimately is one of personal preference.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of spending weeks floating around on a boat, so I picked the Army. ;)

SSG Adrian Gunn

Army
except for rangers and SF)
-Better equipment
- quicker promotions
- Better SF

Marines

Kilo 2-3

My two cents.

I live about 5 miles from MCB Pendelton, one of the largest Marine bases in the world, so I see, meet, etc. current and retired Marines on a fairly regular basis.

My experience with Army personnel is a bit more limited. I've spoken with several Army officers regarding ROTC and spent a week at West Point with several cadets, tactical officers, etc.

I have been universally impressed with the professionalism, openness, and sense of duty of Army personnel.. I feel blessed and honored that they have chosen to serve their country.

The Marines and Naval personnel have, (with only one exception) been among the finest people I have ever met. They're incredibly determined, highly driven, proud of the Corps, and they have a gung-ho, "can do" attitude that perseveres no matter how tough the going gets. They get the job done, not matter the odds.

Which one would I join? I'd probably go Army and try to get into MI or the Quartermasters. It's how probably I'd branch if I do end up pursuing AROTC next year.

But should the Naval Academy accept me come May, I could end up in the Corps....

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I heard bad things about the Naval Academy from my Series Commander in boot. He said the best option was either ECP, or just going to college for 4 years and then doing OCS. At the Naval Academy there's no guarantee you'll end up in the Corps.

Kilo 2-3

I heard bad things about the Naval Academy from my Series Commander in boot. He said the best option was either ECP, or just going to college for 4 years and then doing OCS. At the Naval Academy there's no guarantee you'll end up in the Corps.
Feanor, what you have to say about there being no guarantees out of Annapolis is absolutely true.

The options open to a mid after the Academy are largely, if not wholly dependent on their class rank. It means that there are no assurances, but it's an incentive for me to bust my butt, work hard, and do a good job if I do get into USNA.

And at this point I'd probably lean more towards Surface Warfare or Subs were I to get in. The Marines are certainly an option, especially with there being fairly credible rumors that Annapolis is going to commission up to a third of its graduating classes as Marines.

But being 6'4" isn't going to make life on a boat, ship, or any other cramped floaty thing very fun, I'm afraid....

F-15 Eagle

Army
-Better equipment
- quicker promotions
- Better SF

Marines
With all the respect in the world for the USMC I voted for Army still.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feanor, what you have to say about there being no guarantees out of Annapolis is absolutely true.

The options open to a mid after the Academy are largely, if not wholly dependent on their class rank. It means that there are no assurances, but it's an incentive for me to bust my butt, work hard, and do a good job if I do get into USNA.

And at this point I'd probably lean more towards Surface Warfare or Subs were I to get in. The Marines are certainly an option, especially with there being fairly credible rumors that Annapolis is going to commission up to a third of its graduating classes as Marines.

But being 6'4" isn't going to make life on a boat, ship, or any other cramped floaty thing very fun, I'm afraid....
Whoa. 6'4". And I thought I was tall with my 6'3".... keep in mind though. It is 4 years with little personal freedom.

t68

Is conscription or draft as you call it still part of the American Military thought that you ended it after Vietnam War and all services were an all volunteer defence force?
Can your civil court system still send you into the military instead of going to prison for minor offence or was that something that TV land thought of?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The draft was ended. It's an all volunteer military. As far as I know, there is no way you can get sent to the military against your will.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Is conscription or draft as you call it still part of the American Military thought that you ended it after Vietnam War and all services were an all volunteer defence force?
Can your civil court system still send you into the military instead of going to prison for minor offence or was that something that TV land thought of?
TV land mostly. There was a time, many decades ago when a judge would offer a delinquint the opportunity to join the military in lieu of going to jail but that was during the draft, and fairly uncommon. This was offered to petty criminals only. Feanor is correct, the only way into the US military is by volunteering and a minor criminal record will keep you out.