whats the worlds best assault rifle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacks

Aussie Digger said:
No Berry, they are not accurate, compared to most other service rifle's. Anything past 300m's is a severe challenge for an AK-47, even in the hands of the best user, whereas, the Australian Army with the Steyr AUG, 300m's is the basic qualification range for ALL soldiers, not just riflemen...

The design features that allow for the AK's justifiably famous "ruggedness" are the same features that minimise it's accuracy. The weight of the rifle has almost nothing to do with the accuracy of the rifle. An AK-47 (or any rifle for that matter) will be more accurate when firing single aimed shots, than when firing in automatic mode, however the AK-47 has proved demonstrably inferior to other in service mil-spec rifles over many years.

AK's were designed for poorly trained conscript armies where weight of fire was more important than descriminate accurate fire. Accuracy was sacrificed for simplicity and in the context of conscript based Soviet Era armies, is a fine rifle. It is not a rifle one (ie: me) would choose for accurate shooting however. Even the Soviets didn't use it for this purpose...
Ak 47 all the way :D

Chino

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Red aRRow said:
AK74SU or the G3A3 for me, preferably with 200 round drum fed magazines. :D
You must be a very strong man. A 7.62 NATO G3A3 rifle with 200 rounds?

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
Chino said:
Well I can always use a bi-pod. :D
Actually my preferences for the title of "World's best assault rifles" keep on changing....so I might be backing up some other rifle in another thread some other day.

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro

the Barrel is replaceble. there is a heavy barrel for G3 that transform the function from assault rifle to support weapon. Steyr AUG also has this capability.

Temoor_A

AK-47 Assault Rifle has been proved to be most reliable of all. It can survive any kind of atmosphere.

Though not too sure about how much better it does in Desert but still it has no jamming issues.

M-16 is technically more advanced and can be fitted with Laser Scope and Grenade Launcher. But it suffers jamming issues if lots of sand sticks in it (in Desert)

Chino

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
"the Barrel is replaceble. there is a heavy barrel for G3 that transform the function from assault rifle to support weapon. Steyr AUG also has this capability." - Awang Se

Yes, there are many assault rifles that can be converted to SAW role with heavier, longer barrels and bipods etc.

Right now only the true belt-fed SAW's like FN Minimi, Negev etc have 200-round capacity. These weapons are quite heavy and so is the 200-round belt. So I would imagine the 200-round belt is used only when the weapon is emplaced for static defense.

Can someone throw some light here?

But these weapons are in the 5.56mm calibre. So if you are talking about a G3A3 with 200 rounds of 7.62mm, your assault rifle would have the handling ease around that of a GPMG.

profdr

in south-eastern anatolia against terosists we use g3 it is really a good rifle.generally we carry 300 rounds.we have aheavy weight.it is about 30-40 kg
operations in nordern lrak very hard.especially we pass the border quietly in the evening .we walk 40-45 km with 40 kg weigth in the morning about 5-5,30 we reach the target and suprise them. l use m16 g3 ak-47 sdv(kannas).ak-47 is a idiot rifle in war conditions.it is very hard to hit target in 150-200 meters.m16 really good light weight but not so much effective.g3 is perfect.5,56mm is not enough in high mountain conditions. nato says' when u hit enemy with 5,56 mm
enemy will not die .but injured. the other 2-3 friends will carry him and 2-3 enemy will leave from war zone.
but in a real conflict when u hit a terorist with 5,56 he will not die .and he will go on firing.after a raid terorist must escape quickly.So if u hit a terorist.his friends will not carry injured terorist.they gave him a more ammo.and injured terorist keep go on firing.And the others escape.
in these conditions sniper rifles are perfect one shot one kill.and g3 or rifles 7,62 calibre.
when u hit a man with g3 %90 he will die for exampe when u hit him from left leg. after the hit left leg wont be the part of his body.
g3 heavy but really good in war conditions

driftder

Chino said:
"the Barrel is replaceble. there is a heavy barrel for G3 that transform the function from assault rifle to support weapon. Steyr AUG also has this capability." - Awang Se

Yes, there are many assault rifles that can be converted to SAW role with heavier, longer barrels and bipods etc.

Right now only the true belt-fed SAW's like FN Minimi, Negev etc have 200-round capacity. These weapons are quite heavy and so is the 200-round belt. So I would imagine the 200-round belt is used only when the weapon is emplaced for static defense.

Can someone throw some light here?

But these weapons are in the 5.56mm calibre. So if you are talking about a G3A3 with 200 rounds of 7.62mm, your assault rifle would have the handling ease around that of a GPMG.
No, the earlier post about the G3 (equal to the FN FAL rifle - both use 7.62mm) is about the G3 with a standard battle load of 200 rounds. The 5.56 basic load is similiar - 6-12 x 30 round magazine giving what? - 180 to 360 rounds? But lets not forget weight of weapon, battle gear and ammo.

So if I understand properly, its not about the G3 with a belt-fed magazine of 200 rounds. Not even GPMGs like the M60 go around with 200 round belts unless its vehicle mounted.

It is possible for the G3 or FN FAL to be loaded with 50-100 round cylindrical magazines - something similar to our Ultimax SAW.

driftder

profdr said:
in south-eastern anatolia against terosists we use g3 it is really a good rifle.generally we carry 300 rounds.we have aheavy weight.it is about 30-40 kg
operations in nordern lrak very hard.especially we pass the border quietly in the evening .we walk 40-45 km with 40 kg weigth in the morning about 5-5,30 we reach the target and suprise them. l use m16 g3 ak-47 sdv(kannas).ak-47 is a idiot rifle in war conditions.it is very hard to hit target in 150-200 meters.m16 really good light weight but not so much effective.g3 is perfect.5,56mm is not enough in high mountain conditions. nato says' when u hit enemy with 5,56 mm
enemy will not die .but injured. the other 2-3 friends will carry him and 2-3 enemy will leave from war zone.
but in a real conflict when u hit a terorist with 5,56 he will not die .and he will go on firing.after a raid terorist must escape quickly.So if u hit a terorist.his friends will not carry injured terorist.they gave him a more ammo.and injured terorist keep go on firing.And the others escape.
in these conditions sniper rifles are perfect one shot one kill.and g3 or rifles 7,62 calibre.
when u hit a man with g3 %90 he will die for exampe when u hit him from left leg. after the hit left leg wont be the part of his body.
g3 heavy but really good in war conditions
Pros and cons of 5.56 versus 7.62 aside, most times when firing at a enemy shooter, the aim point is the muzzle flash unless you manage to flank him and hit him from the side or back. Firing should be in standard 3 rond bursts and I can't imagine any one still able to function if hit with a 1-2 burst of 3 rounds, even if he's not hit in the head or face.

As for the part about after hitting his arm or leg with a 7.62, unless you are using explosive or dum-dum rounds...

profdr

have u ever seen a man hit by g3? when bullet enters a body there is a little hole in the exit of the bullet there is a cave

ask a solider in mountain or in a forest in war conditions when the bullets passing over your head 5,56 or g-3 ?

definitly g-3 if u have a friend from gsg-9 they will confirm me.

driftder

Luckily for me, no. And I hope never ever have to as I don't take pleasure in murder or killing or the sight of gunshot wounds from 5.56, 7.62 or of whatever calibre.

That aside, my choice for any "best" assault rifle would have to be able to match the standards for the H&K MP-5, reasons being obvious if you had used one. For those who haven't, target acquisition is very easy and straight forward due to the sights. The recoil is also manageable and you can shoot it either left or right handed, unlike a bullpup. Incidentally, does any one know of a bullpup that let you shoot either left or right handed?Now that be a eye-opener.

Next point would be ease of maintenance and robustness. Best would be a self-maintenance gun but that's too much to wish for ;). One other point would be configurations ie change to a light MG or grenade launcher attachment along the lines of the Stoner gun system.

profdr said:
have u ever seen a man hit by g3? when bullet enters a body there is a little hole in the exit of the bullet there is a cave

ask a solider in mountain or in a forest in war conditions when the bullets passing over your head 5,56 or g-3 ?

definitly g-3 if u have a friend from gsg-9 they will confirm me.

Chino

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
driftder said:
No, the earlier post about the G3 (equal to the FN FAL rifle - both use 7.62mm) is about the G3 with a standard battle load of 200 rounds. The 5.56 basic load is similiar - 6-12 x 30 round magazine giving what? - 180 to 360 rounds? But lets not forget weight of weapon, battle gear and ammo.

So if I understand properly, its not about the G3 with a belt-fed magazine of 200 rounds. Not even GPMGs like the M60 go around with 200 round belts unless its vehicle mounted.

It is possible for the G3 or FN FAL to be loaded with 50-100 round cylindrical magazines - something similar to our Ultimax SAW.

My post was referring to Red Arrow. And he was talking about 200 7.62 rounds in the weapon. That's why he said he'll need a bipod.

But never mind...

"our Umtimax SAW" you said? You SAF? ;)

A

Aussie Digger

driftder said:
The recoil is also manageable and you can shoot it either left or right handed, unlike a bullpup. Incidentally, does any one know of a bullpup that let you shoot either left or right handed?Now that be a eye-opener.
The Steyr AUG can be converted to fire either left or right handed, depending on the user. You simply need the conversion kit. Steyr AUG is a bullpup and doesn't have much of a kick. I've fired M-16A1's with live rounds and it's no better than the Steyr in recoil stakes IMHO. Certainly neither compare to the SLR as far as recoil goes...

driftder

Chino said:
My post was referring to Red Arrow. And he was talking about 200 7.62 rounds in the weapon. That's why he said he'll need a bipod.

But never mind...

"our Umtimax SAW" you said? You SAF? ;)
No offense but 200 rounds mean a belt feed 7.62 and the only ones I saw are GPMG's types. Carrying those packed are already quite difficult but to carry them ready to fire say with a sling is very daunting. I have tried and even when firing have to go prone. Not possible to shoot standing, least not accurately.

As for the SAF bit, lets just say we come from the same lil red dot...

driftder

Aussie Digger said:
The Steyr AUG can be converted to fire either left or right handed, depending on the user. You simply need the conversion kit. Steyr AUG is a bullpup and doesn't have much of a kick. I've fired M-16A1's with live rounds and it's no better than the Steyr in recoil stakes IMHO. Certainly neither compare to the SLR as far as recoil goes...
True but I refer to combat conditions where say a change of hands is needed. Eg to shoot left handed from a corner or worse due to injuries can only shoot from left hand. Bit tough to find a armourer to fix a conversion kit. Not only that, bullpups have a ejection port that is right oppo the cheek. If need to shoot from lefthanded, have to take care not to be bruised by shell casings.

Recoil wise, all bullpups have it better then a M16 or AK47/74. For the bit about the SLR, I guess you refer to the FN FAL? No comments on that, as I never done a FN before but I can imagine the recoil as they share the same ammo type as the M60 or FN MAG - both use 7.62.

rebellious

these days an assault rifle is an assault rifle. it doesnt make a huge difference but if u want an answer the M4A1 with M-203 grenade launcher. the AK is not that accurate and ull hav to fire burts of 2 shots. The fire rate is the same practically. I hate the bullpup M60 machine gun the whole way!!

A

Aussie Digger

The ejection port on the Steyr is designed so that it can be situated on the right hand side or left hand side as required. The conversion is relatively straight forward since converting the weapon simply requires "left handed internal parts" and is installed exactly the same way as "right handed" ones.

This can be conducted "in the field" by any soldier trained to use the weapon, provided he does in fact have the necessary parts. Obviously if you are under fire you are not going to worry about changing it, but it's a simple enough exercise that can be conducted if you have a bit of "quiet" time.

It doesn't take much longer than simply stripping and re-assembling the weapon, though I've never actually done it myself, being right handed and all...

Status
Not open for further replies.