whats the worlds best assault rifle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonny

I've always thought the Ak has outclassed most European and American assault rifles. It may be a simple design but its one of the most reliable guns around...just a shame that terroists like them too. Plus it has the most amazing sound when fired :D:

Pendekar

It's simple alright, and highly reliable. (You can dunk this baby in the mud and then with simple cleaning, it's back in action) but the accuracy is somewhat less. U can see that most army prefer to shot this weapon in full auto mode (I guess that's why they made the bullet cheap)

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
Pendekar said:
It's simple alright, and highly reliable. (You can dunk this baby in the mud and then with simple cleaning, it's back in action) but the accuracy is somewhat less. U can see that most army prefer to shot this weapon in full auto mode (I guess that's why they made the bullet cheap)
That's one of the reasons the assault rifle was developed in the first place: to spray bullets while advancing and make the opponent stay in cover. The germans and russians were among the first developers (StG 44 > AK 47) so naturally they have an edge, emphasizing simplicity and reliability .

Pendekar

That's one of the reasons the assault rifle was developed in the first place: to spray bullets while advancing and make the opponent stay in cover. The germans and russians were among the first developers (StG 44 > AK 47) so naturally they have an edge, emphasizing simplicity and reliability .
I think that's the job of the support gunner with weapon like Minimi or PKM.

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
Pendekar said:
Over longer ranges it is, yes. At the time, the Germans had the MG42 for that purpose. In its MG3 reincarnation this is still one of the deadliest GPMGs around.

But seriously, German wartime research showed that their infantrymen needed something in between the MP40 submachine gun (which was good at spraying bullets but short range and lacking punch) and the 98K Mauser carabine (which had punch, was accurate 1500 yards or so but long, bolt action and not suited for laying down covering fire while on the move). That's why they came up with the StG-44, the mother of all assault rifles: compact, reasobaly powerfull round, ability to fire automatically when necessary and accurate up to te most encountered combat range (500m).

viper007

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Pendekar said:
Yeah, the man with the SAW does the spraying. And i think Styr AUG, well i heard u reveal too much of ur body while firing it.

I have seen a picture of an american soldier using Ak-47 in Iraq !!!

I would go for the M-4 though...simply because of the stuff that comes with it. And its good.

VIPER

quicksilver

I am a fan of the ak-47 for many reason:

All 7.62-mm Kalashnikov assault rifles fire in either semiautomatic or automatic mode and have an effective range of about 300 meters. At full cyclic rate, they can fire about 600 rounds per minute (upto 640 rounds per minute for the AKM), with a practical rate of about 100 rounds per minute fully automatic or 40 rounds per minute semiautomatic. Both the AK and AKM can mount a grenade launcher. Both can have passive image intensifier night sights. Both can function normally after total immersion in mud and water. The fully chromed barrel ensures effective operation even at very low temperatures. The muzzle of either weapon fits into the swiveling firing points of the BMP. Thus, the infantryman can fire the weapon while the vechicle is moving.

http://www.sovietarmy.com/small_arms/ak-47.html

A

Aussie Digger

Viper, how much of your body is shown when you're firing a Steyr rifle (or any rifle for that matter) depends entirely on your firing position, not the design of the rifle. I've used a number of diffent "assault" rifles, during my service (F-88 Steyr, M16A1, M16/M203 and the SLR rifle).

I've also had a bit of a shoot with weapons such as the SKS and the Steyr is any worse than that.

The Steyr is no worse than any of these rifles and probably a bit better, being smaller and most compact than these other weapons.

moughoun

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
viper007 said:
Pendekar said:
Yeah, the man with the SAW does the spraying. And i think Styr AUG, well i heard u reveal too much of ur body while firing it.

I have seen a picture of an american soldier using Ak-47 in Iraq !!!

I would go for the M-4 though...simply because of the stuff that comes with it. And its good.

VIPER
I'm assuming you mean that, because you think the Steyr can't be tricked out, it can

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
moughoun said:
I'm assuming you mean that, because you think the Steyr can't be tricked out, it can

Let's see now....Meprolight Mepor 21 reflex sight, laser sight, M203A1 GL launcher. Typical MOUT configuration.

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
Actually i found it awkward when using Steyr. i feel that my hand is to far forward. it the mag position just don't feel right. i guess it may take some time before those accustomed to the conventional rifle design may use Steyr comfortably. but nonetheless it's a very good assault rifle.

moughoun

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Pathfinder-X said:
moughoun said:

Let's see now....Meprolight Mepor 21 reflex sight, laser sight, M203A1 GL launcher. Typical MOUT configuration.
we have a winner :smokingc: , you'll also notice the sig 226 ;) , he's an Irish sf member, I have some good mate's :)

driftder

Have any one studied the Israeli designed Galil series? They seem to have combined the best of both AK47 and M16/AR15 together. It is practical, easy to maintain and lethal using the 5.56 ammo.

A

Aussie Digger

It's also big, heavy and awkward to use and has even been dropped by the Israeli's now in favour of M16A2's and their new bullpup design, I can't remember what it's called...

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Aussie Digger said:
It's also big, heavy and awkward to use and has even been dropped by the Israeli's now in favour of M16A2's and their new bullpup design, I can't remember what it's called...
IIRC it's the Tavor

Pendekar

the effective range is also shorter.

I think one of the factor that greatly effect rifle accuracy and reliability is the tolerance between the moving parts inside the rifle. for expl, a rifle with low tolerence tend to be more accurate but also prone to jamming. and so is the rifle with high tolerence. they are hard to get stuck but have poor accuracy

VICTORA1

Pendekar,
The accuracy of the rifle depends upon the optimal length of the barrell, the number of turns in the grooves in proportion to the length of the barrell, the weight of the bullet, the qualitative uniformity of the explosive charge, the barrel to stock attachment and lastly but not the least the weather conditions----i.e., wind etc.-----keeping in mind that you have a good shooter plus so many other variables.

Status
Not open for further replies.