whats the worlds best assault rifle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
For your information, a comparison of various weapons in terms of penetration power

ThunderBolt

hey guy:

I have seen OICW shoot, but can't remember the website it was on, any ways, i think it is the best assualt rifle for now. The computerized scope has a program that can pick up terrorits, like i mean when you look through it and if there is a group of people, it will find the bad guys somehow. Plus it has night vision and thermal vision installed in it. Gernade launcher is also fixed with ammo in a biger clip behind the normal one. Pretty amazing.

Personally i would prefer G11, its light weight, fully auto, with a scope and deadly accurate, one of the fall backs for that one would the range not much.
\
Thats just my OPINION:unknown

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
I have yet to see a BVR rifle...to be BVR it would have to be guided by some sort of satalite.

Pendekar

OICW was cancelled because it is considered to bulky for the use of individual infantry. the 20mm HE round didn't carry enough explosive power to compensate for the increase in weight and size. but from the design of OICW, came the XM-38 and several of the land warrior system was succesfully integrated with the current personal weapons.

ThunderBolt

So the multi-million project was canceled, but i didn't hear about it oh, well. Never heard of XM-38 :confused:. So what's on there drawing board now!!. Any ways other than OICW, i would go with G-36.

highsea

ThunderBolt said:
...Never heard of XM-38 :confused:.
I think he means the XM-8/XM-25. The XM-8 is a G36 with new furniture. The XM-25 is a 25mm grenade launcher. Originally they were incorporated together in the XM-29 OICW, but weight and bulk considerations, and the ineffectiveness of the 20mm round caused the program to be split into the XM-8 and XM-25.

berry580

Aussie Digger said:
Ak's are heavier than most other assault rifles. They are also inaccurate on either single shot or automatic fire and the wooden "furniture" is affected by moisture. The Russian 7.62x39 "short" round is also ballistically inferior to the 5.56mm NATO round used these days.

On the other hand it is reliable and simple to learn to use. This simplicity is what makes it inferior to other Assault rifles. The G-36 is my personal pick for best Assault rifle. Closely followed by Steyr AUG, M16A2/M4.

This forum however is very subjective and my opinion is no more valid than anyone elses. Particularly given that in Military or Paramilitary service you have almost no choice on the weapons you use. Normally on Specwarops have a choice and that too is limited to "approved" weapons types for msot operations. Cheers.
They're 'not' accurate even with single shots?
Literally any rifle will be 'accurate' when fired in single shots. It's heavier than other rifles, and that makes it accurate when in single shots.
AK is cheap unlike all your other picks.

Last edited:

Pendekar

there's this problem with the early version of M-16 during the vietnam war. eventualy it was despise by troops for it's tendency to jam at the worst time possible. there is also widespread report of US troops abandoning their M-16s for captured AKs.

highsea

The early M-16's problems mostly stemmed from not having a chrome lined barrel and bolt. Hell, they were advertised as "self cleaning" weapons- they weren't even issued with cleaning kits! But the US continually upgrades our weapons, and the current crop of A2/A4's are extremely reliable. Weapons disclipline is important no matter what you are carrying. M-16's need to be kept reasonably clean and you need to use the right lubricants for the conditions. If you do that, you will not have a problem.

As far as accuracy, they are far superior to AK-47's, about 1.5 MOA compared to 4-6 MOA. Part of this is due to the removable cover of the breech assembly of the AK series, which means it has to have an open sight, instead of an aperture, and part of it is due to closer tolerances and better ammunition. US forces qualify on M16/M4 out to 300m with iron and Comp-M (M-68 ) sights (no magnification), and forces in Afghanistan and Iraq have routinely engaged the enemy out to 600m with M16 with 4X ACOGs. You can't do that with an AK-47.

Plus, there's all the neat goodies you can put on the M16/M4...

Last edited:
A

Aussie Digger

No Berry, they are not accurate, compared to most other service rifle's. Anything past 300m's is a severe challenge for an AK-47, even in the hands of the best user, whereas, the Australian Army with the Steyr AUG, 300m's is the basic qualification range for ALL soldiers, not just riflemen...

The design features that allow for the AK's justifiably famous "ruggedness" are the same features that minimise it's accuracy. The weight of the rifle has almost nothing to do with the accuracy of the rifle. An AK-47 (or any rifle for that matter) will be more accurate when firing single aimed shots, than when firing in automatic mode, however the AK-47 has proved demonstrably inferior to other in service mil-spec rifles over many years.

AK's were designed for poorly trained conscript armies where weight of fire was more important than descriminate accurate fire. Accuracy was sacrificed for simplicity and in the context of conscript based Soviet Era armies, is a fine rifle. It is not a rifle one (ie: me) would choose for accurate shooting however. Even the Soviets didn't use it for this purpose...

astyan

in my openion the worlds bert assault rifle is the hk g11 it was designes in west germany before the reunification it is the only rifle to have a micro chip in it it fires over 2000 rpm has a 150 round mag and is only half the size of an m-16 sadly due to financial constraints due to reunification the order was cancelled and only 1100 of these babies were ever made they firec a caseless cartrige that removed the need for edjection thos reducing the rifle rise from shots fires there by increasing accuracy

A

Aussie Digger

I would imagine that the AK-74 would be more accurate, IIRC it uses a much higher velocity 5.45mm round and also appears to have a longer barrel, 2 important features where accuracy is concerned... I would still rate the accuracy of the AK-74 in the hands of the average rifleman, as less than the other in-service rifles such as Steyr AUG, SA-80 Mk2, M16A2, G-36 etc.

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
Pendekar said:
i suppose the much later AK-74 also face the same problem, is it?
The AK-74 was an improvement over the previous 47 series. Smaller caliber means that the soldier equipped with the weapon is now able to carry more ammunition. The 5.45*39mm round, although still inferior to NATO 5.56mm rounds, was an improvement from the previous 7.62mm round in terms of penetration and precision.

I had the pleasure of firing both the AK-47(Chinese produced ones) and AK-74. The recoil on the AK-74 was considerably lower than that of the 47, but is still quite a kick for any untrained shooters. I think it's best to fire the 74 in short burst of 3 or 4 rounds, and the ideal engagement for the rifle is around 100 to 250 meters.

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
i have pleasure of shooting a few type of rifles. my choice is of course an M-4 since that is my personal weapon from day 1 of my regular service. i also have plenty of time with the AUG, though i can't say it's a pleasure to shoot it, it has superior effective range, superior accuracy vs range, but the weight is significantly higher compare to M-4. the FAL, now that's interesting rifle. i rather have a 6x magnification scope mounted on it. those who familiar with this rifle know the reasons. the recoil is reasonably high, as expected, especially for small stature asians. so i think it's better if it was use with bipod and in prepared position. the AKs? i only use it once, it was a weapon seize from a smugglers in the Malaysian-Thai border. from the serial number, they say the weapon dated back from the 60s. probably a leftover from indochina conflict. the sound is distinctive, quite strange for those who never shoot it. recoil is moderate, but the accuracy..... those who familiar with western made weapons will easily note it. but from what i heard the 7.62mm AKs round has quite a punch.

A

Aussie Digger

I too have fired the AK-47, AKM series of rifles, though I haven't fired AK-74's. I wasn't overly impressed with them. I found them to lack the power of the 7.62mm NATO SLR type rifles (and the recoil) and lacking in accuracy compared to the 5.56mm M16/Steyr rifles.

The 7.62x39mm Soviet round is reasonably powerful, but nothing exceptional. It is easily outclassed by the 7.62 x51mm NATO round used by SLR/FN-FAL and G3 type rifles, for instance...

Status
Not open for further replies.