Turkish Navy news and updates.

divedeep

First off, zero chance of Turkey letting Greece take over the Aegaeis.
A still potent unhappy shared history. The Turkish public won't stand for it as stirred up as they already are now.

Also, the Turkish Navy is rather busy in the Mediterranean, and the Eastern Mediterranean is one of the focus point of naval power today. There are good reasons for NATO to have SNMG1, SNMG2 and SNMCMG2, the UN having MTF448, and various navies having further forces permanently in the area.

I was actually wondering with my question whether Fleet Command has any units (in particular submarines) permanently stationed in the Black Sea, or whether it's only the support and patrol units of the Northern Sea Area Command, and of course the FAC squadron stationed in Istanbul, primarily responsible for Marmama but probably also with a control zone further north.
The Surface Action Group is also headquartered in Kocaeli on Marmara though.

I know most of the Navy is homeported at Aksaz.
The major bases for SSKs are Golcuk (which also houses a naval shipyard-google earth for some nice pics) and Aksaz with what appears to be an even split of boats between them.To the best of my knowledge no TuN SSKs are based on the Black Sea proper although many frequently transit through the straits into Sea.

I must say though I am surprised at their choice of the U214 design as the Greeks and Koreans have experienced problems (according to news reports) with acoustic dampening measures such as the propeller shaft with a Greek boat still sitting HDW's yard in Hamburg. In my view an S-80 design fitted with US CMS per RAN Collins would have been a strong capability based choice (not that the U214 is a poor design) but I believe commonality benefits trumped these.

Just a question kato, would Germany/Italy offer the U212 design for export or is it a purely bilateral contractual design and non exportable?

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
212A is non-exportable, effectively. The difference is primarily the hull itself (ie its inherent signature-dampening measures) and a few electronics systems, the rest doesn't differ that much between 212A and 214.

And Korea didn't have that many probs with the 214 either. It should be notable in that regard that the Gölcuk shipyard already has 30 years of continuous experience building the various Type 209 for the Turkish Navy, which should count for quite some thing.

The greek sub... well, there are other issues with that. It was sitting in drydock for 2 years without any work being done on it due to Greece refusing to pay for it, only taken out for a short drive earlier this year. Not really something for this thread though lol:

divedeep

212A is non-exportable, effectively. The difference is primarily the hull itself (ie its inherent signature-dampening measures) and a few electronics systems, the rest doesn't differ that much between 212A and 214.
I would believe the two designs share much of the same electronic fit, with certain features missing from the 214 and/or export versions downgraded but the main differences lie in the fact that the 214 appears to be a 209 with 212characteristics while the 212 utilises smooth hull blending (around the sail) to improve hydrodynamics (being a totally new design). Also I am taking a good guess with submerged displacement the 214 is designed mainly for bluewater operations and the 212 for shallower waters-even though it is extremely capable for the former. Just this month I think an Italian 212 held exercises with the USN which brought along a Virginia boat (SSN-774?) to gauge capabilities.

And Korea didn't have that many probs with the 214 either. It should be notable in that regard that the Gölcuk shipyard already has 30 years of continuous experience building the various Type 209 for the Turkish Navy, which should count for quite some thing.
Although the "TN-214s" are featuring according to local newspapers the indigenous mod-GENESIS CMS which IIRC is a surface FF CMS for their Perrys. Systems integration may prove difficult for them and I'd be deeply interested to know whether the Greek baseline U214s are superior capabilitiy wise although it may take quite a while:)

The greek sub... well, there are other issues with that. It was sitting in drydock for 2 years without any work being done on it due to Greece refusing to pay for it, only taken out for a short drive earlier this year. Not really something for this thread though lol:
Thanks for that....politics most likely. I say the Bundesmarine should take delivery of it or sell it to us over the border as our Walrus boats are getting 'old' and we don't have the cash for an immediate replacement:D

eliaslar

Although this answer wouldn't belong to this thread. I just would like to correct kato and remind him that Greek state has already paied 80% of the total program cost for the U214's. And i am sure though that the subs will be delivered to the Greek navy in the very near future.

divedeep

Although this answer wouldn't belong to this thread. I just would like to correct kato and remind him that Greek state has already paied 80% of the total program cost for the U214's. And i am sure though that the subs will be delivered to the Greek navy in the very near future.
And the other 20%?

Obviously no delivery until the 100% is paid or at least some form of guarantee that it is.

In the meantime your Type 209s are hitting retirement age so I don't really understand the delays behind the delivery of the U214s unless it has to do with some politiking.

It is also interesting to note that both Greece and Turkey have been ordering much of the same hardware for the last three decades only beginning to diverge now.

orko_8

2 more Perry's for Turkey!
The transfer of the two FFG-7's was cancelled. Turkish fleet of FFG-7's, known as Gabya class will remain at 8, 4 of which will be modernized with Mk41 - ESSM's and 3D radars in order to stop-gap AAW missions until TF-2000 frigates enter service, expected to be around 2015-2020 timeframe.

On the other hand, an interesting side-note from history: Turkey was offered construction of at least 4 FFG-7's by US in Golcuk Naval Shipyard in early 1980's, but the project was cancelled because of budgetary problems.