Thailand selects Gripen and Erieye

paskal

Maybe. IF they can find the funding. I believe the RMAF chief last year stated that a second Squadron of SU-30's was the more pressing priority...

Gripenator never said Thailand HAS the Meteor missile. Notice he said, IOC 2010? Initial operating capability - 2010. Obviously Thailand intends to circumvent the US's restriction on supply AMRAAM by acquiring Meteor to arm it's Gripens with a BVR missile...
sorry man:)
I thought i just heard he said something about the Thailand have the METEOR missles.
By the way i personally think that the RMAF should procure more su-30 and the most important the AWACS.
I dont think the super hornet will be that good without the proper weapons.
As what i see the russians are giving malaysian quite good weapons like the KH-59 ME.

i think in the RMF-10 plan malaysia would buy more su-30 and awacs to replace the old MIG-29 unless the RMAF prefer to upgrade it.
I would hope in 2015 the RMAF will have about 50 su-30 mkm.:nutkick

Gripenator

Banned Member
By the way i personally think that the RMAF should procure more su-30 and the most important the AWACS.
I dont think the super hornet will be that good without the proper weapons.
As what i see the russians are giving malaysian quite good weapons like the KH-59 ME.

i think in the RMF-10 plan malaysia would buy more su-30 and awacs to replace the old MIG-29 unless the RMAF prefer to upgrade it.
I would hope in 2015 the RMAF will have about 50 su-30 mkm.:nutkick
"The AWACS?"

Are you talking about the Erieye system because atm that is the only AWACS/AEW system available to the RMAF with the possible exception of a slightly downgraded E-2C.

How do you know the deal comes with KH-59s?
Our military attache in Kuala Lumpar has only observed AA-12s and LGMs on the hardpoints so far-either the RMAF aren't showing their full arsenal for the Sukhois or the Russians are running off their mouths again.

I would expect a full range of LGMs as well as the KH-29T but I'm not so sure about the -59s given that the RMAF wants to use the MKMs to fill the interdiction role with a secondary A2G capability.

qwerty223

"The AWACS?"

Are you talking about the Erieye system because atm that is the only AWACS/AEW system available to the RMAF with the possible exception of a slightly downgraded E-2C.

Our military attache in Kuala Lumpar has only observed AA-12s and LGMs on the hardpoints so far-either the RMAF aren't showing their full arsenal for the Sukhois or the Russians are running off their mouths again.

I would expect a full range of LGMs as well as the KH-29T but I'm not so sure about the -59s given that the RMAF wants to use the MKMs to fill the interdiction role with a secondary A2G capability.
Since there is still no budget allocated for AWACS, no tech spec was quote and therefore Erieye is not the ONLY choice. There is still years to go. As time past by, situation might change frequently.

as for the AG package it is also quite impressive.
There was another demonstration to authorized media back in Subang AB, shortly after SU-30MKM reassembled in Malaysia. One of the Media, KL Security Review published this picture:

Last edited:

paskal

"The AWACS?"

Here is it.....

Air to air.

R-77
R-73
R 27R1

Air to land.

KH 29 T
KH 29TE
KH29 L
KH-31A
KH-31P
KH-59ME

For static bombing.

OFAB 100-120
OFAB 250-270
FAB 500

guns.

GsH 30-1 30mm kaliber

I got all this source from the local magazine TEMPUR.[confirmed]

The only reason the malaysians are going RUssians is because theyll give malaysia all the weapons that the MAF needs.
The US are not willing to give the weapons for the super hornet so thats why the RMAF go for the SU-30 mkm.

nevidimka

I believe even b4 the Meteor becomes operational, the ramjet Adder will be available to the su30 mkm.
And if the information is true, then i think its a good decision by MA to go with more su30mkm rather than Superhornet.

kickaflow

Banned Member
F-18C/D, MIG-29, and SU-30MKM so how many fighters RMAF has?
and the hawks? i heard that RMAF is short in of pilots? and RMAF's pilot is kind of not from the top of the class and so because they all go for commercial airlines?
Here is it.....

Air to air.

R-77
R-73
R 27R1

Air to land.

KH 29 T
KH 29TE
KH29 L
KH-31A
KH-31P
KH-59ME

For static bombing.

OFAB 100-120
OFAB 250-270
FAB 500

guns.

GsH 30-1 30mm kaliber

I got all this source from the local magazine TEMPUR.[confirmed]

The only reason the malaysians are going RUssians is because theyll give malaysia all the weapons that the MAF needs.
The US are not willing to give the weapons for the super hornet so thats why the RMAF go for the SU-30 mkm.

qwerty223

and the hawks? i heard that RMAF is short in of pilots? and RMAF's pilot is kind of not from the top of the class and so because they all go for commercial airlines?
LoL, lets take it true. Did you heard of Malaysia had plane crash?:D

kickaflow

Banned Member
3? how was that? it might not be the pilot's fault or is it the aircrat malfunction, but did the pilot survived? so how many left now? but i just seen some of their pics on the malay independent day. how many years malaysia become independent? has malaysia ever go to war? with who? and the outcome? just wondering...
Well 3 Mig29's did crash.

n RMAF have 8 of the F/A D's! no C versions.

qwerty223

3? how was that? it might not be the pilot's fault or is it the aircrat malfunction, but did the pilot survived? so how many left now? but i just seen some of their pics on the malay independent day. how many years malaysia become independent? has malaysia ever go to war? with who? and the outcome? just wondering...
lol... nvm, you never get it...

Anyways, for the later questions, we (actually it was Malaya) independent since 1957, but form Malaysia in 1963, and declared 50th years of independence at present. We had Communist insurgency in the 60s. Indonesia attacked us in the mid 60s, both wars were assisted by Aus and UK, and their participation were the most important factor to led Malaysia in victory.

paskal

I never heard the MAF were shot in pilot.
Especially now when they just purchased a bunch of new pilatus and 8 aerbamacci from italy.,
With that procurement that proves that the RMAF needs more training aircraft for training.:rolleyes:

Preceptor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Keep discussion on topic please

Discussion in the this has recently moved somewhat off topic to the air forces of surrounding countries. Kindly confine discussion in this thread to related areas. Namely either the current/future make up of Thailand's Air Force and/or current and future users of the Gripen and Erieye systems.

-Preceptor

Skyman

From Jane's Defence Page. I have no log in so I don't know the detail. Those negotiation maybe announced during Defence & Security 2007 on 7 - 10 Nov in Bangkok. (I can not post URL)

Sweden and Thailand discuss JAS 39 Gripen offset issues
Sweden and Thailand commenced discussion earlier this week over the offset arrangements tied to the Southeast Asian country's purchase of 12 JAS 39 Gripen multirole...
07-Nov-2007