Thailand selects Gripen and Erieye

B3LA

Banned Member
Please be careful when you extract data from what the Norwegian
said or did in that particular procurement.

In addition to what they wrote in their RFP, it does now seem that they
also wanted to be able to deliver US tactical nukes inside Russia. It was
unclear at that time why they so badly wanted stealth, but now we know.

Further, even though the Norwegians had an hidden agenda, the final
decision was a political decision only as they want to maintain good
relations and will need to dial 911 should a situation occur.

Vivendi

No 20 billion NOK was fly-away, package cost was higher. It was in one of the first pages of one of several reports released at the time of type selection. 20 billion NOK fly-away. Actual, factual, fly-away cost, straight from the vendor.

Found the docs: It wasn't on the first page, but on page 40 of the first doc.

http://www.regjeringen.no/upload/FD/Temadokumenter/Fremtidig-kampflykapasitet_anbefaling_311008.pdf

and

http://www.regjeringen.no/upload/FD/Temadokumenter/Kampfly_Ekstern-kvalitetssikring_KS2_141108.pdf

I believe there is also an 11 pg. exec brief somewhere, but that one eludes me for the moment.
On page 40 in the first document it says "For Gripen NG approximately 20 of the 24 billion is a fixed price given in the RBI. The additional 4 billion NOK are additional costs for equipment that is necessary to make the plane a multirole plane according to NATO standards and requirements"

Where does it say that 20 billion NOK was fly-away?

Ares Homepage

Norway said that 48 JSFs would cost 18 billion kroner (NOK), about $52 million each, compared to 24 billion NOK for the same number of Gripens. But it's very hard to see how those costs are comparable.

Saab does not dispute the Gripen acquisition cost figure - but according to Rob Hewson at Jane's, supported by Saab statements throughout the campaign, it was a firm, fixed-price offer for the entire package in current NOK and included initial training, initial spares and all mission planning and support systems.
(Note that Sweetman got the F-35 price wrong due to wrong exchange rate, we now know that January 2008 exchange rate was used, approx. 5.27 which gives a unit price of 71 million USD for F-35)

As I wrote in a previous post, Kemp said:

Our proposal for 48 Gripen NG for Denmark out of 20 billion Danish kroner (U.S. $ 3.39 Bi), including training , spare parts and logistics, but not included in the arms package.
Is this also fly-away?

Kemp also said in the same interview that NG would cost less than C/D; one should be careful when reading statements from sales people however if they want to maintain some credibility they should not stray too far from the truth. It sounds rather strange to claim that NG will be cheaper than C/D if the the real fly-away NG cost is roughly double of C/D -- then he is so far off that it looks like outright lying to me...

Or do people have rather different definitions of "fly-away"?

V

Grand Danois

Entertainer
On page 40 in the first document it says "For Gripen NG approximately 20 of the 24 billion is a fixed price given in the RBI. The additional 4 billion NOK are additional costs for equipment that is necessary to make the plane a multirole plane according to NATO standards and requirements"

Where does it say that 20 billion NOK was fly-away?
Here it does: "Figuren over viser kostnaden ved selve flyanskaffelsen, uten våpen, for 48 fly. Tallene er hentet direkte fra RBI-besvarelsene. For Gripen NG er ca. 20 av 24 milliarder 2008-kroner fastpris gitt i RBI-besvarelsen."

The "aqcuisition cost of the aircraft", "numbers directly from the Request for Binding Information".

Ares Homepage

(Note that Sweetman got the F-35 price wrong due to wrong exchange rate, we now know that January 2008 exchange rate was used, approx. 5.27 which gives a unit price of 71 million USD for F-35)

As I wrote in a previous post, Kemp said:

Is this also fly-away?
I'd agree that both cost are closer to UPC, however there is usually no more difference than about 10% - see the concept of wpn sys cost in US budgeting. It's still pretty much the same figure - the NG is almost twice as expensive to procure as the C/D - a truism regardless of it is UPC or UFC. However, as the report sums things up, they should in fact be UFC - so the 71 million USD is possibly the product of the fluctuation in exchange rates.

So, yes, it should also be fly-away, with caveats.

Kemp also said in the same interview that NG would cost less than C/D; one should be careful when reading statements from sales people however if they want to maintain some credibility they should not stray too far from the truth. It sounds rather strange to claim that NG will be cheaper than C/D if the the real fly-away NG cost is roughly double of C/D -- then he is so far off that it looks like outright lying to me...

Or do people have rather different definitions of "fly-away"?

V
I cannot say what Saab include in their fly-away. However in their 22 billion DKK offer to Denmark they included: 48 jet, plus ancillery equipment plus 20 yr life cycle.

It would come out like this: 17 billion DKK for the acquisition 48, giving approx same unit fly-away price as Norway, 1 billion for ancillary equipment, documentation and initial services, and 4 billion DKK for spares and vendor support for 20 years - total 22 billion DKK. Btw, that gives about 3-3.5k usd per FH for vendor support and spares per FH... at 250 FH/yr.

Coincidentally a number close to the "official" 3-3.5k USD per FH for Gripen NG... However, for example when the Dutch and Danish calculate cost per FH for the F-16s it includes fuel, salary for pilot and ground crew, overhead to wing and air force admin, overhead to min of def, down to the base canteen.... and they end up with 10-12k usd per FH....*

So when Saab says things like "3k USD per FH" they actually say: "you'll buy 3k USD worth of spares and services per flight hour from us... The rest is not included."*

However most will compare it to a number like the 10-12k USD per FH number of the F-16, though they're way different.

So is it misleading? Technically not. :D

You catch the drift, yes? One is from a supplier perspective, the other from a customer.

Bob says a lot, btw, here is one:

Kemp insists that the new Gripen NG will be the “main challenger to JSF”, dismissing the Eurofighter Typhoon on cost grounds. He says the Dassault Rafale will “never get started on the export market” because of what he called “launch customer nervousness – who wants to be the first and perhaps only customer?”

FARNBOROUGH 2008: Saab pitches Gripen NG as JSF alternative-14/07/2008-Flight International

(alright, a bit evil perhaps. ;))

*For the sake of accuracy - it is possible it includes fuel as well (later edit).

Last edited:
A

Aussie Digger

Norway was offered a FIXED price, and the Swedish GOVERNMENT even went out as an insurance.

I wouldnt trust Norway and what they have written. because Norway seems to know the price better than Sweden themelves that operates the damn platform.
Sweden does not operate the Gripen NG.

No-one does.

As for price, well I've yet to see an airforce that could operate an aircraft without fuel or maintenance capabilities, yet SAAB would have us believe that is so, with the NG...

Apparently Norwegian pilots and maintainers demand to be paid, fed, trained, housed and nurse/treated if sick as well.

Who'd have thought?

Grand Danois

Entertainer
As for price, well I've yet to see an airforce that could operate an aircraft without fuel or maintenance capabilities, yet SAAB would have us believe that is so, with the NG...
For the sake of accuracy - it is possible that they have included fuel costs. I've added this as an edit to my prev.

zeven

Sweden does not operate the Gripen NG.

No-one does.

Apparently Norwegian pilots and maintainers demand to be paid, fed, trained, housed and nurse/treated if sick as well.

Who'd have thought?
Sweden operates the platform correct its not the upgraded NG version. but i believe they have pretty good cost control.

and when the largest pro american party in Norway. ask questions about this competition. why cant we?

we who lives here, and can follow the daily debate, see this a bit different,

Last edited:
A

Aussie Digger

Sweden operates the platform correct its not the upgraded NG version. but i believe they have pretty good cost control.

and when the largest pro american party in Norway. ask questions about this competition. why cant we?

we who lives here, and can follow the daily debate, see this a bit different,
I'm sure you are sorely disappointed at the present time then...

;)

Skyman

Just some update here!

DEFENCE
Air force delays fighter order

By: WASSANA NANUAM
Published: 19/06/2009 at 12:00 AM
Newspaper section: News

SURAT THANI : The air force is postponing the retirement of its ageing F-5 fighter jets after budget cuts forced it to put its plan to buy replacements on hold.

The air force had hoped to decommission all 12 US-made F-5 E/F fighters, in operation at the Surat Thani-based Wing 7 for 30 years, once it was fully equipped with 12 new Gripen 39 C/D jets. It has placed a confirmed order for six of the Swedish-made planes worth 19 billion baht. But budget cuts have forced it to delay taking delivery of the other six.

The government has slashed the defence budget.

The air force planned initially to place an order for the second six Gripen in the 2010 fiscal year.

But with its proposed budget now cut by 16 billion baht, from 170 billion baht to 154 billion baht, it has deferred placing the order.

Wing 7 commander Manut Wongwat said the air force would have to keep seven F-5 jets on for now, and risk flying them beyond their service life.

The six fighter jets which will form the first half of the Gripen squadron have been named "Peace Suvarnabhumi I".

Three of the Swedish fighter jets will be ready to fly by January 2011, while the others are expected to join the fleet two months later.

The air force plans to spend 700 million baht to build new hangars and install other safety measures as part of preparations for the first six Gripen jets.

It has chosen nine F-16 fighter jet pilots and an F-5 pilot for training to fly the Gripen in Sweden over the next two years.

About 180 officers will also be sent for training on maintenance in Sweden, said F-16 pilot, Wg Cdr Jakkrit Thammawichai, 38, who has been chosen as the first Gripen squadron commander.

Bangkok Post : Air force delays fighter order
And about the name of the program, Peace Suvarnabhumi.

Suvarnabhumi (golden land) is an ancient name of the land which is today Thailand and Southern Thailand used to call 'The Goldern Cape'. It might mean this project is for protect a golden land because Gripen will be based in the south.

But I don't understand why they use the world 'Peace'. It's a US custom on F-16 but you are buying a european-made Gripen. RTAF might familar with the word peace in 'Peace Naresuan' F-16 program. (Naresuan is the name of the great Thai king more than 2 centuries ago.) I think they can be better innovative to name the program. :p

And I fear that Congress will not approve RTAF to use this word because it's US made military language. :diablo:

Lastly, some comment from future Gripen pilot is that he feel the Gripen's cockpit is more user friendy than the previous aircraft he flew and Saab also change some configuration in Cockpit according to RTAF requirement.

Cheers from Bangkok. :D

-----------------------------------

Thai Gripen in Production Line

Thank Saab for photo. :)

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/4626/rtafthaigripeninproduct.jpg

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/5644/rtafthaigripeninproductr.jpg[

Skyman

First flight for Royal Thai Air Force Gripen

The first Gripen fighter for Thailand completed its maiden flight in Linköping, Sweden, today. The flight took off at 14:50 local time and lasted for 80 minutes with Saab test pilot Mats Thorbiörnsson at the controls.
2009-09-16 |

In 2008, Thailand ordered a complete aircraft and command and control system from the Swedish Defence Materiel Administration (FMV) in a Government to Government deal. The order includes a first batch of six Gripen C/D with associated equipment and service, one Saab 340 aircraft equipped with Erieye radar (AEW), a Saab 340 for transport and training plus an integrated command and control system with data links.

The Royal Thai Air Force will start their training on Gripen in Sweden next year and the fighters will be delivered to Thailand in 2011.

Gripen - The wings of your nation - First flight for Royal Thai Air Force Gripen

Photo. :D

http://i25.tinypic.com/1toiu8.jpg

http://i31.tinypic.com/2eejtx3.jpg

http://i30.tinypic.com/16k5rmw.jpg

http://i32.tinypic.com/xarix5.jpg

Youtube VDO :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/v/NlYgO3_0OZY

sunshin3

Thanks for the update on the Gripen delivery for Thailand.

Signifcantly, the Royal Thai Air Force also upgraded it's air defence system, with Surface-to-Air Missile Command-and-Control System (SAMCOS) by Scotland-based Shaw Defence Systems. SAMCOS interfaces with air defence radars and presents a correlated air picture both at the air-defence command centre (ADCC) and at the SAMCOS fire-control units (FCUs) located with each weapon system. In Thailand it is integrated with the Saab Giraffe 40 target-tracking radar and the Saab Bofors Dynamics RBSL70 and Chinese Qianwei- ('Vanguard') 2 (QW-2) SAM systems. The latter is similar to the Russian Igla-1. Interfaces have also been developed for the Northrop Grumman TPS-70 radar. Communications are provided by a narrowband (4.8 kb/s) VHF datalink, and the system can also link to combat net radios with a digital interface.

The ADCC can view the status of all subordinate weapon systems, including readiness, availability and engagement state. Both positive and procedural control measures can be used. Air raid warnings and readiness states can be disseminated to all levels.

Commands can be injected by the ADCC to track and engage specific targets, with audible alarms at the FCU, and the weapon operator is offered simple responses to commands. If an interface is available the FCU can be directly connected to the weapon to provide automatic target location information; otherwise the FCU provides audible instructions to the weapon operator.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
:) Another 6 is definitely but In fact, it's only a delay at worse. (The Thai-language news never said they gonna cancel it. They said it would be a delay) and the delay might be only one or two year. RTAF schedule to commit for the second batch in 2010. If they had to delay it could be in 2011 or around that. As you also mention six jets is almost useless. It's also more like a aerobatic sqn. to me. :eek:nfloorl:

But overall they might stop here at 12 aircrafts. If the budget allow in the future the third batch will be possible. :rolleyes:
In the latest news reported by "The Nation", the Thai air force has approval to acquire the 2nd batch of six JAS 39 Gripens in the 2012 budget allocation. Three years ago, Thailand decided to replace its aging F-5 fighters with a dozen Swedish JAS-39 Gripen fighters. The first six were ordered two years ago, and now the government has agreed to buy the second six. So the stalled acquisition has come back alive.

Air Force jet fighters approved

January 27, 2010 - The Cabinet yesterday approved in principal the Royal Thai Air Force's request to purchase six Sweden-made JAS 39 Gripen jet fighters.

A Bt16.2-billion budget, which include maintenance, logistical support and pilot training, will be approved through a tie-over allocation over a four-year period beginning in 2012.

The Cabinet also approved Bt6.9 billion for the advanced modification of six US-made F-16B two-seaters as part of a three-year tie-over allocation, also starting in 2012.

Last edited: