Royal Saudi Air Force

contedicavour

I guess reading about MIG29SMT in the Egyptian Air Force, Typhoons and upgraded Tornado in the RSAF, Mirage 2000-9 in the UAE and potentially Rafale in Morocco are enough to show that the American fighterbombers have no monopoly of Middle Eastern markets. They are the market leaders, but heck it isn't easy to remain market leaders. Just ask Dassault and MiG (the leaders in the late '60s and early '70s). Current frosty relations between the US and the majority of the Middle Eastern countries isn't exactly going to help by the way.

cheers

contedicavour

@Rich Why dont you travel in the region to see for yourself???

Let me guess they're going to have to go towar after you've been kidnaped no???:)
If he were doing the salesman for Lockheed and Boeing around the Middle East we'd sure win all the tenders :D ;)

cheers

BKNO

Banned Member
contedicavour Quote: If he were doing the salesman for Lockheed and Boeing around the Middle East we'd sure win all the tenders
Knowing the Arabs that little i'd guess they'd pin him against a wall with rusted nails and then ask him to pay for the cost.... :eek:nfloorl:

Khairul Alam

The RSAF isn't as impressive in combat as it is on paper & despite having some key assets like the E-3A, & some inflight refueling assets it's ability to actually 'orchastrate' a campaign is questionable.
I think they are learning. In 2003 RSAF conducted a massive exercise involving its F-15, controlled by E-3s, in the Red Sea near the Israeli border.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
I guess reading about MIG29SMT in the Egyptian Air Force, Typhoons and upgraded Tornado in the RSAF, Mirage 2000-9 in the UAE and potentially Rafale in Morocco are enough to show that the American fighterbombers have no monopoly of Middle Eastern markets. They are the market leaders, but heck it isn't easy to remain market leaders. Just ask Dassault and MiG (the leaders in the late '60s and early '70s). Current frosty relations between the US and the majority of the Middle Eastern countries isn't exactly going to help by the way.

cheers
Why look at it in only military aviation terms. Look at travel aviation. European AirBus has already beaten the American Boeing almost every where.

metro

Not true, Boeing has booked orders for 904 planes while Airbus has 700 planes orders booked in 2006.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/12/26/news/companies/boeing_airbus/index.htm?postversion=2006122614
Thank You! Sorry for going OT a little, next post will be back, OT (On Topic)!
Airbus is in trouble.

Boeing's problem is being able to supply the increasing number of 787's ordered--they need to produce 1 every 2-3 days and/or open a second line.

Airbus' problem is losing it's huge investment in the A380, longer delays, trying to slow/stop cancelled orders, etc... While the innitial idea may have seemed "great," irrespective of all the design problems, the limited number of airports the thing can opperate at, is a significant problem (convincing countries to create new runways, departure gates, ground machinery, maintenance areas, etc... has caused issues. If "Airbus" wants to subsidize that, that's a whole lot more money lost. Not to mention people wanting to fly direct routes, w/o stopping at hubs. Add in airport/airline security these days, and I can't imagine the problems an A380 will cause as a target.

Plus, getting drunk at a nice Bar/Club ("Mile High") might sound nice (though you can't sell this set-up to "many countries,"). Allowing a small number of drunk people on a small plane with no-where to go causes big enough problems already. Many drunk people at a bar on a huge A380, watching a UEFA game, could cause some significant security problems.

The A350-XWB (the 787 answer), is having the same delay problems, and won't be flying until at least 2014 (that's conservitive).

http://news.thomasnet.com/IMT/archi...reamliner_versus_airbus_a350xwb.html?t=recent

But, who knows what will happen tomorrow... "China gets the plans for all three planes, and build a inexpensive, hand made hybrid..." ;)

metro

So, in 1996 Saudi Arabia talked to LM about buying F-16 (note that the F-16E didn't exist then), & asked for pricing information. In January 1997 this was officially made public. That would have been block 50/52, as the F-16 block 60 didn't exist then. Metro suggested that Saudi Arabia is going to buy F-16 in the future, which is clearly wrong. The idea seems to have been dropped long ago.
@swerve
I apologize for taking so long to reply... i've been really busy!
My Bad!

Here's some reading/info RE: original post (same deal, with copy/paste; the site(s) is/are Password Protected... i.e. the link won't help anyone—MOD, please delete the part if it’s a problem with “posting rules,” though it’s cited).

Bush push for Saudi arms deal raises eyebrows at Pentagon, worries U.S. intelligence

WASHINGTON — The Bush administration is seeking to conclude an agreement for a major U.S. weapons sale to Saudi Arabia despite strong objections from the military.
Officials said the administration has been negotiating with Saudi Arabia for up to $10 billion in weapons, including new advanced platforms such as the F-15 and F-16. The negotiations have been stuck over the Saudi refusal to accept any restrictions on the use of the U.S. weapons.

"The Saudis have insisted on obtaining the same conditions that they are getting from the Europeans," an official said. "And the Europeans are offering top weapons without any restrictions."

The officials said the U.S. negotiations concern a range of new systems never before introduced in the Arab world. The Saudis have demanded the latest models of each of the F-15, F-16 fighter-jets, advanced air-to-ground weapons and so-called unidentified black box technology for platform upgrades [Me: Note language of SA being part of “Arab World”].

"They want deep-strike capabilities that would give the Saudis capability to attack over the water," the officials said. "The U.S. Navy has grown suspicious over such a request, saying that if Saudi Arabia falls then our aircraft carriers could be attacked."

U.S. intelligence has warned against major arms sales to Saudi Arabia and the Gulf Cooperation Council states. One intelligence assessment said the Saudi and other GCC regimes have become increasingly unstable [Me: Note SA being separated from GCCs in language above].

Several U.S. newspapers said Israel has objected to the U.S. weapons sale to Riyad. The Boston Globe and the New York Times said Israel has expressed concern that Saudi weapons would erode the qualitative edge of the Jewish state against its Arab neighbors.

"We are committed to Israel's security," said State Department spokesman Sean McCormack. "We also are committed to our historical relationships, good, strong relationships with other states in the region, including Saudi Arabia."

But other officials said the main opposition to the arms sale comes from the Defense Department. Under the Saudi request, the Arab kingdom would acquire new capabilities of its own that could be exploited by rogue Islamic elements against the United States in the Gulf, Indian Ocean and the Red Sea.

In 2005, the Pentagon determined that Saudi Arabia had violated terms of the U.S. export of the F-15. Officials said the Royal Saudi Air Force flew F-15E fighter-jets in the northeastern kingdom near the border with Jordan and Saudi Arabia and housed the platforms in the air base in Tabuk.

"It's simply easier for circles in the White House and State to blame Israel rather than raise U.S. concerns against a completely unrestricted weapons sale to Saudi," another official said.

In 2006, Saudi Arabia signed an agreement to purchase up to 72 Eurofighter Typhoon aircraft reportedly for $10 billion. Another Saudi deal was for the upgrade of 80 British-origin Tornado fighter-jets, which would involve the transfer of advanced U.S. technology.

McCormack said the administration was discussing arms sales with Saudi Arabia and other unidentified GCC states. McCormack said the GCC states require the new weapons to face challenges in the Gulf.

"We are working with Saudi Arabia, states in the Gulf, on their particular defensive needs given the strategic challenges in the Gulf," McCormack said. "This is also a subject of discussion with the Congress. I would describe it as an ongoing discussion. There are no final decisions yet."

In 2006, the administration approved about $10 billion in Saudi arms requests from the United States. The requests included main battle tanks, combat vehicles, upgrades and aircraft systems.

McCormack said the United States has moved to supply the PAC-3 missile defense system to Saudi Arabia. The administration has been processing several new defense requests from Riyad in discussions with Congress.

"We've already taken some steps in terms of providing Patriot PAC-3 missile systems to help address what the states in that region perceive as a very real threat," McCormack said. "There are other stages to the various requests that have come in. We're considering those at the moment."

Geostrategy-Direct, www.geostrategy-direct.com, April 18, 2007

-Some conext:
First, remember this is the ME (obviously those posting here are interested in the region and know politics/defense are as closely connected a religion/state). So when you read/hear/"officials," each word is usually chosen very carefully.
I’m not telling you anything you don’t know.;)

-While we (US) have been "discussing" this multi-billion $ deal for SA, SA signed a "security accord w/Iran," (in late April) though SA says its defense co-op with Iran hasn't changed. IMHO, the Saudis have huge problems within their Kingdom, starting with the Royals. There's a big fight for Succession/Ideology among 70-80/old's in the Saud's House [some might say they should go make a long visit to the Cleveland clinic's cardiology wing (again), to be reminded by their Doc's that age/fighting/stress isn't good for the heart.]:rolleyes:

-BTW: the Iris-T AAM is being converted to the Iris-T SL, for SA and the other GCCs for “Missile Defense” [Another FU to US... although I wouldn't want to be tied into relying only on the PAC-3 either. SA claims the PAC-3 is too expensive... is oil back at $20/Bar?) We’ve tried to tell the Saudis several times that they need “x” number of Billion Dollar AEGIS battleships and cruisers… which they have said they can’t afford either]

-Here’s some info on what has gone into Saudi Purchasing (If interested, click on the links within the text to see the reasons the Saudi’s “may be” buying certain products).
My favorite title is: “Saudis Say, ’Pimp My Ride.”:D
http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/mt/mt-search.cgi?IncludeBlogs=2&search="saudi+shopping+spree"

-[In May 1988, the United Arab Emirates announced it had selected the advanced version of the F-16, culminating an intense competition. The program would involve major development, testing and purchase of 80 Block 60 aircraft. A commercial contract was signed in March 2000, and go-ahead occurred in June 2000. The Block 60 "Desert Falcon" configuration will include an APG-80 agile beam radar, an internalized forward-looking infrared targeting system, a new cockpit, internal electronic countermeasures, enhanced-performance F110-GE-132 engine, and conformal fuel tanks. The aircraft will be delivered in 2004 through 2006]

-We’re living in a “Unipolar Moment” in history. Before the fall of the USSR (Bi-Polar), we were able to buy everything “Wholesale.” Today, we have to pay, “Retail.” The Russians have dumped good/cheap arms all over the ME/world. Our relations with the Saudis have been going down hill for a while. Despite our “special relationship,” they have their own interests (internal problems); they can sell oil to China, India, etc… They believe we’re leaving the area in some manor and are resolved to allowing Iran get a nuke. China, India, Russian clients, have a lot more say with Russia (vis-à-vis Iran), than we (US) do. Even buying from Europe, who buy’s Iranian and Russian oil, allows the Saudis and GCCs to have even more influence. And so on. There are so many ways to look at “the new world.” It could even be in our interest for Europe to compete and get good contracts from the ME. The “Unipolar Moment,” has been insured by the Clinton Administration (I don’t think I need to explain), and while China sits on the sidelines waiting to see what happens, an “Anglo-Europe” becoming strong, is more likely to benefit us. I’m not sure a strong alliance with Russia (or living that way of life “Putin”) will interest them. A strong European-American (Japanese, AUS, Korea) Alliance will put a lot of pressure on the Chinese and India to come under the EU-US Sphere, as China and India, not only needs customers with money, but China already uses a ton of German, Swedish, Polish, Technology and materials etc…

-Having said that, the countries in the ME are all paranoid, making them great customers for all Defense Industries. If the US decides that we should spend the Money that’s going into the Iraq/ME war ($700B, or whatever) on a “Manhattan Project” to make oil useless, all of a sudden the US has the technology to sell/license the technology to make everyone (people) dependent on crazy oil prices, to fuel everything, irrelevant, that would create a incredibly profitable, true, new market.

-I say all this because in terms our military strategy for the future, we don’t know where we’re going; the concept of building increasingly conventional high precision, long range offense and increasingly “impenetrable armor”… makes absolutely no sense as neither defeats the other.:rolleyes: Sorry, I could go on and on about this, but unless someone wants to discuss it, I don’t want to go too OT.

-Final thing is that, IMO, if we really want to make money on military sales, we should use existing technology that’s already been sold to the ME and others (like the F-16),
and finish/use the "F-16XL demonstrator/dual role fighter" --not today's F-16E-- (upgrade it a little with some “stealth”). Since the airframes exist everywhere, upgrade them to the F-16XL (from what I understand, composites can easily be swapped… which would be a lot cheaper for countries than buying all new equipment, service, missiles from several manufacturers… Single engine, supercruise, thrust vectoring, new avionics, and an aircraft that can be fitted with American/Euro weapons, for a lot less money than an all new expensive Aircraft that may not have a lifespan that’s any longer than anything else?!?

The F16-XL looks like a few planes being sold/used around the world, huh? IMO it's too bad we didn't keep up the F-16/Lavi project. Looking at the years both we were working on the F16-XL and Israel the Lavi (yes, I know about the funding), they look very similar. I think it's obvious what Israel was trying to produce, a finished F-16XL. All of a sudden we stopped the project on our side, and the Israelis took it further but had to cancel the project. If we had kept up the joint project, instead of our AF/Polticians deciding on making sure it stopped, we would have had a much better aircraft years ago. 30yrs later, the Lavi copy with a russian thrust vectoring engine is in china (Pakistan too). The Delta Wing Rafale, with a different engine configurition is france's top fighter. The Eurofighter is also very similar. They all have 30 years of modification on the F-16XL/Lavi. (The XL pics are at the bottom of the page):

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/f-16-pics.htm

The story of the F-16XL is here (read the 3rd to last paragraph... just think if we hadn't droped the thing and, today, 25 yrs later/development; that would an "inexpensive" aircraft for us to use or sell to anyone who has an F-16 already... offsetting the crazy cost of our F-22. :nutkick

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/f-16ef-xl.htm

Peace

Rich

Why look at it in only military aviation terms. Look at travel aviation. European AirBus has already beaten the American Boeing almost every where.
Boeing is now #1 and will remain so on the strength of its new 787 Dreamliner. Airbus dropped a real bomb on the industry with its A-380 and now all of a sudden decided they are going to build a new midsize jet to compete with the 787. I think Airbus is on the verge of self-destructing, or at least losing much of the Govt. welfare funding thats kept it afloat.

If he were doing the salesman for Lockheed and Boeing around the Middle East we'd sure win all the tenders
Who is "we"? You and BKNO? Well, Im glad you have a new little friend but your Airbus is still getting its pants beaten off by Boeing.:D http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6269847.stm
Airbus secured fewer orders for new planes last year than its rival Boeing for the first time since 2000.
The troubled planemaker said it won 824 new orders last year, down from 1,111 in 2005, and below Boeing's 1,050 haul.

Delays to its flagship A380 plane - which have left the project two years behind schedule - are set to push Airbus to an annual loss for 2006.

Airbus boss Louis Gallois said the delays had been a "major shock and disappointment" to shareholders.

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/Display...nuary9.xml&section=business&col=class=stories
Airbus trailed Boeing mid-month by more than 200 orders. Boeing's strong finish to the year not only ensures it will outsell Airbus for the first time since 2000, but also places the value of its orders about 75 per cent higher than the value of Airbus orders, thanks to the much bigger proportion of the expensive widebody jets it sold.
Now, with the A-380 debacle, European taxpayers will be paying foreign airlines their money bcause the A-380 was mismanaged so.

Airbus passed from one crisis to another in 2006 as engineers were unable to install the 480 kilometres of wiring that goes into each A380. The project was delayed at least two years, reducing earnings at European Aeronautic, Defence & Space Co., Airbus's parent, by more than $6 billion.

The delay has sparked demand for major carriers, including Emirates, which has placed the largest single order for 45 A380, for compensation. The latest blow for Airbus came last Tuesday when Emirates airline confirmed that it was seeking financial compensation from Airbus, saying it had been "badly hurt" by the two-year delay in delivery for the superjumbo A380 plane.

Emirates is the world’s biggest customer for the A380, having ordered 45 of the 555-seat, double-deck aircraft in a deal worth about $13.5 billion.
A bad time for Airbus :D
According to analysts, the outlook for Airbus is not that rosy. It must fix the huge production problems on its flagship A380 jet programme. At the same time it is struggling to sell a new plane, the A350, that will compete against the 787 and the 777 — but won't be ready until 2013, five years after the 787.

uaf

Boeing is now #1 and will remain so on the strength of its new 787 Dreamliner. Airbus dropped a real bomb on the industry with its A-380 and now all of a sudden decided they are going to build a new midsize jet to compete with the 787. I think Airbus is on the verge of self-destructing, or at least losing much of the Govt. welfare funding thats kept it afloat.

You think Airbus is on the verge of self-destruction??

No No No Mr. Airbus may be haveing bad time with A-380 but you got to look at this and refresh your judgment .....

Qatar Airways Orders 80 Airbus A350XWBs

(Source: Airbus; issued May 30, 2007)

Qatar Airways has signed a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) to buy 80 of the all-new Airbus A350XWB aircraft. The agreement was signed at the Elysée Palace in Paris in the presence of His Highness Sheikh Hamad Bin Khalifa Al-Thani, Emir of the State of Qatar, and Mr Nicolas Sarkozy, President of the French Republic, by Qatar Airways Chief Executive Officer Akbar Al-Baker and Airbus President and CEO Louis Gallois.

This will make the airline the largest customer for the A350XWB to date and the first one in the Middle East region.

This agreement supersedes an earlier one signed in 2005 for 60 of the original A350 aircraft.

The 80 aircraft include 20 A350-800s, 40 A350-900s and 20 of the largest in the family, the A350-1000. Deliveries will begin from 2013. Qatar Airways will use the A350XWBs to complement its A330s and A340s on regional and long haul routes.

"The A350XWB will equip Qatar Airways with the very latest generation and most modern fleet. In addition to unbeatable operating economics, the A350XWB shares the same cockpit commonality with other Airbus aircraft, especially the A380, so introducing the modernised fleet will be a simple and cost efficient step", said Qatar Airways Chief Executive Officer Akbar Al-Baker.

The A350 XWB, is Airbus' newest aircraft and will be the world's most technologically advanced. It is designed to increase productivity, offer unparalleled levels of passenger comfort in its class whilst reducing operating costs. Addressing environmental concerns, the A350XWB will be one of the most fuel-efficient aircraft ever.

"We are very honoured by Qatar Airways' decision to acquire the A350XWB. This is an outstanding endorsement of our newest product by a leading world carrier", said Airbus President and C.E.O Louis Gallois. "Qatar Airways has been a long standing Airbus customer with orders straddling all our aircraft families, including the A380. I wish to thank Qatar Airways for their latest decision which is a further evidence of the confidence they are placing in all our products", he added.

Qatar Airways is the largest all-Airbus operator in the Middle East and one of the world's leading airlines, with a fleet that comprises aircraft from the A320, A300/A310 and A330/A340 families. It is also a customer for the 21st Century flagship jetliner, the A380.

With up to 60 per cent of weight-saving using the most advanced materials, in the form of carbon fibre wings and composites, the Airbus A350XWB will be lighter per seat - and hence more economical. This design, together with centralised maintenance and extended check intervals, will also help to give the Airbus A350XWB attractive maintenance costs.

Airbus is an EADS company. (ends)

70 Airbus Aircraft for Avianca

(Source: Airbus; issued May 30, 2007)

Colombia's national flag carrier Avianca is acquiring 70 Airbus aircraft, including 38 firm orders (33 A319s/A320s and five A330-200s) and 32 options (27 A319s/A320s and five A330-200s).

"With this order, Avianca will enter a new era in terms of advanced aircraft technology and passenger comfort", said German Efromovich, President of the Synergy Group which owns Avianca. "The A319s, A320s and A330s will offer our passengers the highest levels of travel comfort whilst allowing us to benefit from their unbeatable economics. On top of that thanks to the high level of commonality between the Airbus products, our pilots will be able to simultaneously fly the different aircraft which will further contribute to our efficiency."

Avianca is Colombia's largest airline and is also the second-oldest commercial airline in the world.

"We are extremely proud and honoured to have been selected by this historic and prestigious airline for its fleet renewal" said John Leahy, Airbus Chief Operating Officer Customers, "Airbus has come a long way in Latin America over the past decade and is now the leading aircraft supplier in the region. We are thankful for the endorsement by Avianca and we look forward to seeing our aircraft fly the skies in Avianca's colors."

Airbus currently has a fleet of 260 aircraft in operation in the Latin America. Since 1990 Airbus has taken 54 per cent of all Latin American orders for new aircraft. Furthermore, Airbus has tripled its presence in Latin America over the last seven years.

The A320 Family, recognized as the benchmark single-aisle aircraft family, also includes the A318, the A319 and A321 versions and features the newest and most modern design of any single-aisle airliner, with a passenger pleasing cabin that is popular with travellers - as independent surveys demonstrate. An advanced fuel-saving aerodynamic design, including wingtip fences, centralised maintenance with extended servicing intervals, and proven reliability in day-to-day service help to give it the lowest operative costs.

The A330-200 is the unquestioned leader in its class with continually expanding operator base. The A330-200 has excellent flexibility for a wide range of route structures, providing the operator with a very low operating cost per seat as well as the widest and most comfortable cabin in its class. Its proven record of superior economics and passenger comfort provides the operator with a significant competitive advantage in the market today.

Airbus is an EADS company.
http://www.aviation.com/070530_qatar_a350xwb.html
http://www.airbus.com/en/presscentre/pressreleases/pressreleases_items/07_05_30_Avianica.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Izzy1

Banned Member
Boeing are promoting the C-17 Globemaster II to both the RSAF and the UAE. Any potential orders will, Boeing hopes, keep the production line open and maybe spur on a further USAF order.

In my opinion, C-17 for the RSAF would be a welcome addition - even if Saudi rarely practices expeditionary deployment. The C-130E/H fleet is now over 30 years old, C-17 would take some of the burden off the heavily utilised Hercules' of 16 Squadron.

C-17 for the UAE would certainly aid any future overseas UN deployments like those to Kosovo and Somalia.

metro

Boeing are promoting the C-17 Globemaster II to both the RSAF and the UAE. Any potential orders will, Boeing hopes, keep the production line open and maybe spur on a further USAF order.

In my opinion, C-17 for the RSAF would be a welcome addition - even if Saudi rarely practices expeditionary deployment. The C-130E/H fleet is now over 30 years old, C-17 would take some of the burden off the heavily utilised Hercules' of 16 Squadron.

C-17 for the UAE would certainly aid any future overseas UN deployments like those to Kosovo and Somalia.
I believe that AUS recently bought C-17s... something like a $1.5B-$2B contract and India is buying 6 C-13OJ Hercules' (Lockheed).

I think the US is doing well with aircraft orders'.

OT: Have you heard anything about us (US) saying we're "pulling out of the GCCs by 2009"??
I'll try to find the article, just wondering if you've heard it recently?

Izzy1

Banned Member
OT: Have you heard anything about us (US) saying we're "pulling out of the GCCs by 2009"??
I'll try to find the article, just wondering if you've heard it recently?
Must admit not heard anything on that. The political reprecussions would be huge, but I'll stick to the military aspects here.

The US military presence here in Saudi is now mainly centered around the Regional Air Operations Centre at Prince Sultan Air Base in Al Kharj. Linked directly into the elaborate 'Peace Shield' air defence system, this facility is unmatched in the region. I would be very surprised if the US was to give it up.

Similarly, CENTCOM's facilities in Doha, Qatar have had heavy investment. Kuwait is also still vital for the logistic support of forces in Iraq.

The one problem I have heard about is the 5th Fleet's facilities in Bahrain. The port at Mina Salman is just too small to handle the demands now being placed on it. Three US Navy Carrier Battle Groups will soon be operating in the region and it has been acknowledged that Mina Salman will be very hard pressed to support them. The problem however is exacerbated by lack of alternatives in the Gulf region.

If you find the link to the article, I'd be interested in reading it.

Last edited:

metro

Must admit not heard anything on that. The political reprecussions would be huge, but I'll stick to the military aspects here.

If you find the link to the article, I'd be interested in reading it.
Yeah, I understand everything you said.
I hope the Missle Defense throughout the region, west of Iran works (I really hope none of it is needed). Iran's stocking up on every asymmetrical threat/weapon it can find. I was just reading they have at least 5X the number of "longer range katushas" than Hizbollah used.
You're definitely right about the 5th fleet and the location/size problem. Apparently our Navy has realized the problem too, but doesn't have a solution.. yet!??

Here's the article I was talking about (I have to copy/paste it becase it comes from a PW protected site, if you're interested in others I can PM them to you... @Mods, I'm not sure about the exact posting rules, so please just delete it if there's a problem--it's cited):

U.S. signaling Gulf states it will withdraw from region by 2009

ABU DHABI — The Bush administration has hinted through diplomatic channels that the United States will leave Iraq and most of the Gulf region by 2009.
Middle East diplomatic sources said U.S. envoys have repeatedly signaled that Washington plans to withdraw from Iraq and most of the Gulf region. Several U.S. envoys advised Gulf Cooperation Council and other states to prepare for this eventuality, they said.

U.S. Secretary of Defense, Robert M. Gates, center, sits with Bahrain's Sh Ahmed Bin Khalifa Al Khalifa, right at the IISS Asian Security Summit, on June 1, in Singapore. AP/Wong Maye-E
"No such words were spoken, but Arab and Israeli leaders have understood that within two years, the United States will no longer be in Iraq or in the Middle East," one diplomatic source said.
The administration's strongest message of a U.S. military withdrawal took place during the Middle East tour by Defense Secretary Robert Gates in April. Gates visited Egypt, Israel and Saudi Arabia and discussed arms sales with all three countries.

In Saudi Arabia, the sources said, Gates faced withering criticism from King Abdullah and his aides for U.S. support of the Shi'ite-led government in Iraq. Gates responded that August 2007 would mark the turning point for U.S. policy in the Middle East.

"The message was that if by August, the [Iraqi President Nouri] Al Maliki government fails to take over security, then the war will be considered unwinnable," a GCC source said. "The conclusion by Arabs and Israelis was that this was the U.S. deadline."

The sources said the planned U.S. withdrawal marked the basis for the administration's proposal to supply Saudi Arabia with up to $10 billion in advanced military platforms and weapons. Congress has objected to the sale because of Saudi instability as well as Riyad's insistence that it will not accept U.S. restrictions on the use of the systems.

In Israel, Gates also discussed U.S. strategy in Middle East. The sources said Israeli leaders who met with the defense secretary understood that the United States would soon begin a withdrawal from Iraq.

"The underlying message by Gates to the Israelis was different from that to the Arabs," said an American who monitored the talks. "The Israelis understood from Gates that Israel was on its own and therefore must be very careful in how it responds to threats, including the Iranian threat. The feeling was that if there was another war, Israel should not expect another U.S. airlift."
www.geostrategy-direct.com, June 6, 2007

Peace!

PS. This is interesting too, I guess he really did defect and is in the US (it's not the whole article):

Iranian defense official Ali Reza Asghari, involved in Iran’s nuclear program, defected to the United States after disappearing in Turkey in December, according to an Iranian political refugee.
Amir Farshad Ebrahimi, a self-professed close friend of Asghari, told Turkey’s Hurriyet newspaper that Asghari was the deputy defense minister responsible for weapon purchases and production.

“He also continued to work outside" the ministry, Ebrahimi said. “For example, he was the head of marketing at Pars Electric, a secret state-owned company affiliated with the Revolutionary Guards. He ran all nuclear transactions on his own. For example, if radioactive material had to be purchased overseas, Asghari would sign the contract. He also knew the locations of all nuclear facilities and reactors.”

eaf-f16

So, in 1996 Saudi Arabia talked to LM about buying F-16 (note that the F-16E didn't exist then), & asked for pricing information. In January 1997 this was officially made public. That would have been block 50/52, as the F-16 block 60 didn't exist then. Metro suggested that Saudi Arabia is going to buy F-16 in the future, which is clearly wrong. The idea seems to have been dropped long ago.
The block 60/62 was starting development in 1996 when the UAE picked the F-16E/F as their deep strike fighter and they picked it over the F-15E. The Saudis were probably aware of deal going down about a new F-16 being developed as they are very close friends with the UAE and wanted to join in on the deal.

Izzy1

Banned Member
F-16 is a complicated story in regards to RSAF. As Swerve rightly points out, back in 1996 RSAF expressed an interest in the F-16 Block 50/52, but due to low oil revenues then and a huge budget deficit, the order never materialised.

Things have changed now and the recent US offer to double the size of the RSAF is believed to include F-16 Block 60. But there are potential issues.

First, current RSAF fighter procurement seems to favour twin-engined fighters for improved over-desert flight safety. I believe the last RSAF single-engined fighter was the F-86F Sabre back in the 1960s. This is very likely to change in the future (F-35 is almost a certainty for RSAF) but for now it is partly why the RSAF was lukewarm in regards Grippen and surprisingly has never procured Mirage for itself despite considerable French sales efforts (indeed, the doomed twin-engined Mirage 4000 was developed with Saudi specifically in mind).

http://www.fighter-planes.com/info/mir4000.htm

Secondly, given the restrictions the UAE has faced with its F-16E/Fs, it is doubtful now Saudi will select it unless the US is ready to make changes. For one, the UAEAF is unable to use its Storm Shadow/SCALP EG/Black Shaheen cruise missiles from the F-16E/F due to US reservations of allowing their product carry such a long-range offensive weapon system.

From Jane's World Air Forces - United Arab Emirates - Air Force, 18/05/07
The UAE originally planned to equip its Block 60s with the Black Shaheen but the US vetoed these plans and prohibited the missile's integration with such a long-range strike platform. The Mirage 2000 thus became doubly important to the UAE's power projection capability.
Storm Shadow is due to enter RSAF service initially on the Tornado by 2010.

Lastly, Boeing has huge influence in the Kingdom whilst Lockheed has a comparitively low presence here. New and upgraded F-15S Strike Eagles are a more likely choice in the long-run.

metro

I don't think US/UK relations are that great right now. Actually, I don't think, I know.

-sorry, these 2 items dealing with several posts above, can't be linked (PWP):

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 WorldTribune.com.

U.S.-UK clash looms over huge jet fighter deal with Saudis

LONDON — Britain fears the United States could derail an estimated $10 billion aircraft deal with Saudi Arabia.

Industry sources said the United States was preparing to investigate BAE Systems, which won a project to supply 72 Eurofighters to the Royal Saudi Air Force. The sources said the Bush administration wants to determine whether BAE violated U.S. anti-corruption laws in establishing an alleged $100 million slush fund for Saudi princes responsible for military procurement.
"There are still concerns over various other investigations," British parliamentarian David Borrow said. "And that part of the reason for the U.S. wanting to carry out its own investigation is to put the Saudis off doing a deal with the UK."

Borrow, a member of the House Defence Select Committee, said the administration wants to intimidate BAE, which seeks to expand its presence in the United States. Under U.S. law, a company that violated anti-corruption laws could be banned from government contracts, Middle East Newsline reported. BAE has been a leading partner in the U.S.-led Joint Strike Fighter project.
The sources said the administration has been pressing Saudi Arabia to purchase the F-15 and F-16 aircraft instead of the Eurofighter. They said U.S. pressure has delayed the signing of a Saudi contract with BAE.

"They hope they [Saudis] will buy U.S. jets instead of European," Borrow said.

In early 2007, the United States formally protested the termination of a British police inquiry into the alleged BAE slush fund. Several European Union states have also criticized the termination of the British investigation.

But another parliamentarian, Michael Jack, said the BAE contract would be signed soon with Saudi Arabia. Jack, who represents a district that includes BAE's production facility at Warton, acknowledged that Washington was trying to undermine the Eurofighter deal.

On June 4, British Defence Secretary Desmond Browne met Crown Prince Sultan Bin Abdul Aziz, also the kingdom's defense minister, and reviewed defense and military relations. Sultan was quoted as saying that Riyad sought increased defense cooperation with London.

Friday, May 25, 2007 WorldTribune.com.

Report: Saudi's Prince Bandar got $2 billion
in bribes

LONDON — A leading Saudi prince received about $2 billion in bribes from BAE Systems, a newspaper here reported.
The London-based Guardian newspaper reported on Thursday that Saudi Prince Bandar Bin Sultan, the kingdom's national security adviser, received 1 billion British pounds to facilitate BAE contracts with Riyad. The British daily, which has written a series of stories on the Saudi-BAE connection, asserted that for more than a decade Bandar received secret payments from BAE through a U.S. bank in Washington.

"It is claimed that payments of £30m [pounds] were paid to Prince Bandar every quarter for at least 10 years," the Guardian said.

The alleged disclosure comes during international protests against Britain's decision to terminate a police investigation of BAE, Middle East Newsline reported. The company was alleged to have established a $100 million slush fund for Saudi princes responsible for military procurement.

The Guardian, which cited "insider legal sources," said the British Defence Ministry authorized BAE's payments to Bandar, the son of Saudi Defense Minister Sultan Bin Abdul Aziz and who for more than 20 years was Riyad's ambassador to the United States. The secret arms sales commissions, reportedly paid to Bandar's account in Riggs Bank in Washington D.C., were said to have violated both British and U.S. law.
"There must be a full parliamentary inquiry into whether the government has deceived the public and undermined the anti-corruption legislation, which itself passed through parliament," British parliamentarian Vince Cable, the deputy leader of the Liberal Democrat Party, said. "It increasingly looks as if the motives behind the decision to pull the SFO inquiry were less to do with UK national interests but more to do with the personal interests of one of two powerful Saudi ministers."

The payments to Bandar, who refused to respond to the Guardian, were said to have stemmed from the Al Yamamah oil-for-arms project, which supplied Saudi Arabia with about $86 billion worth of aircraft, ships, weapons and training over the last 20 years. The Guardian said Britain's Serious Fraud Office, during a two-year investigation, discovered the payments by BAE, the prime contractor of Al Yamamah, to Bandar.

"The Al Yamamah program is a government-to-government agreement and all such payments made under those agreements were made with the express approval of both the Saudi and the UK governments," BAE said. "We deny all allegations of wrongdoing in relation to this important and strategic program."

Bandar was said to have played a key role in Al Yamamah in 1985. The sources said that in return, Bandar received cash transfers every quarter for more than a decade for what was termed marketing fees.

The Guardian said BAE was provided access to a Bank of England account that received up to 2 billion pounds [$4 billion] per year. The newspaper said the Defence Ministry's Defence Export Services Organisation was also allowed to withdraw funds from the secret account. The payments for Bandar were said to have come from the same account.

"The MoD is unable to respond to the points made since to do so would involve disclosing confidential information about Al Yamamah, and that would cause the damage that ending the investigation was designed to prevent," the British Defence Ministry said.

Izzy1

Banned Member
It is a bit strange why the US Justice Department is getting involved in all this. The Saudi response to any US interference will be simple - no more US orders and a further decline to a once-strong diplomatic realtionship that is now teetering on serious trouble.

So, as the US jeopardises future orders and BAE gets potentially paralysed by further investigations, it should come as no surprise the French are bitting their tongues and waiting to make their move.

Last edited:

swerve

Super Moderator
I can't see how these payments can be thought of as bribes. The account in London from which the money was taken was an Al-Yamamah account, i.e. it was money from selling Saudi oil, allotted to the Saudi Defence Ministry. The account in Washington into which money was paid was in the name of the Saudi Embassy there. The payments were authorised by the Saudi Defence Ministry. If the Saudi government chooses to use BAe to transfer money between two of Saudi official bodies, how is it bribery? Who is bribing who? Prince Sultan bribing his son? This is to do with the internal dynamics of the Saudi government & royal family (much the same thing).

Dramatis personae -

Prince Bandar bin Sultan - Ambassador to the USA 1983-2005, now head of the National Security Council. Nephew of the king during the time in question, half-nephew of the current king, nephew of the governor of Riyadh, nephew of the Minister of the Interior, nephew of other ministers (I forget which), brother of the army commander at the time of the 1990-91 war (who is now ar member of the government), & son of -

Prince Sultan bin Abd El Aziz al Saud - Defence Minister since 1962, now Deputy Prime Minister & Crown Prince. Half-brother of the current king, full brother of the king at the time of Al Yamamah & the payments. One of the "Sudairi Seven" (now six - one died), seven full brothers who together (& they've always worked closely together) make up the most powerful faction within the Saud family. The one who died was the last king. Of the remaining 6, Sultan is heir to the throne, & said to be effective head of the government, 3 others are cabinet ministers, & one is governor of the capital city.

These people don't see much distinction between the states money & their own - after all, it's their country Saudi Arabia - the family name. The idea that this money is a bribe probably strikes them as insane, & they think that anyone who suggests it is a bribe must be remarkably ignorant of how they run their country. How can someone bribe them with their own money?

No, this is just a little finagling of the family accounts. Family business, nothing to do with the rest of the world.

SaudiArabian

Prince Bandar : I did not take £1bn bung

A Saudi prince at the centre of controversy over a £40billion arms deal with Britain denied on Thursday night that he had received improper secret payments.

Prince Bandar bin Sultan said claims that he received £1billion in 'backhanders' from British defence giant BAE Systems for the massive Al-Yamamah contract were 'serious allegations'.

The prince, a former ambassador to the US, insisted money was paid into accounts in the name of the Saudi defence and aviation ministry.

'Any payments into those accounts made by BAE were pursuant to the Al-Yamamah contracts and, as such, would not in any way have been “secret” from the parties to those contracts,' his lawyers added in a statement.

Earlier, Tony Blair ruled out an inquiry into the deal with the kingdom, saying it would lead to the 'complete wreckage' of vital British national interests.

The Prime Minister rejected calls for a new investigation into reports that the payments were made in the 1980s with the knowledge of the Ministry of Defence.

Mr Blair defended the decision to drop a Serious Fraud Office probe into the contract last year, amid warnings that the Saudis would end co-operation on security matters.

The fight against terrorism would have been harmed and thousands of British jobs lost if the inquiry had gone ahead, Mr Blair insisted.

It would also have involved 'the most serious allegations and investigation' of the Saudi royal family.

Attorney general denies concealing payments

The attorney general had denied allegations that he concealed the existence of secret payments made to Saudi Arabia from the anti-bribery watchdog OECD.

According to the Guardian, Lord Goldsmith instructed British investigators not to disclose information related to the existence of alleged payments totalling more than £1 billion to Saudi Arabia during an investigation from the international watchdog.

The Serious Fraud Office (SFO) had been carrying out an investigation into claims that money was paid to the Saudi Prince Bandar for setting up an arms contract with BAE Systems, but this was halted by the government at the end of last year.

The OECD then launched its own investigation and during meetings between the watchdog and the SFO, the Guardian claims British investigators were ordered to hold some details back.

A source close to the watchdog told the paper: "We suspected that the British were holding some secret back."

During the original SFO investigation, Saudi Arabia became so concerned by the issue that it was felt the BAE contract was at threat.

Prime minister Tony Blair said at the G8 summit yesterday that the decision to call off the investigation was made to prevent the risk of the contract being pulled and consequently "thousands" of British workers losing their jobs.

The attorney general's office issued a bullish rebuttal of the claims, saying the Guardian article was "untrue".

"No such orders were given by the attorney general," a spokeswoman said.

Both BAE and Prince Bandar deny any wrongdoing related to alleged improper payments and any illegality is in question due to the timing of any money transfers - bribery of foreign officials only became an offence in 2001.

The BBC's Panorama programme has carried out its own investigation into the case and claims that £120 million a year was sent to two separate accounts in Washington which were then used for Prince Bandar.

The prince said that payments were made to the Saudi ministry of defence and were regularly audited by the country's finance ministry.

PANORAMA 'DOES A HATCHET JOB' ON SAUDI DEAL SAYS RAF HERO

By John Chapman

ONE of Britain’s highest-ranking RAF chiefs last night broke his silence to condemn what he described as a “hatchet job” by the BBC’s Panorama over the Saudi military jets deal.

The recently retired officer, speaking anonymously for security reasons, said: “What we’ve read about the programme is outrageous and seems terribly unfair.”

The ex-fighter ace trained with Prince Bandar bin Sultan, the Saudi royal who is now accused of taking backhanders from British Aerospace.

Both the Prince and British Aerospace strenuously deny the allegations.

The Panorama report on alleged corrupt arms dealings with Saudi Arabia is screened on BBC1 at 8.30pm tonight.

The ex-RAF chief pointed out: “The Prince is no doubt handsomely paid by the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. He hardly needs a backhander!

“It’s just preposterous. He barely has time to spend a dollar – he works round the clock. He certainly doesn’t need any encouragement to buy British.

“We trained together at Cranwell in the late 60s and he was a cracking fighter pilot.

“He loves everything British. He even got his mad taste for steak and kidney pie and shepherd’s pie here, which his British cook still makes for him.

“For heaven’s sake, he’s had three of his sons complete their education at Eton, one of whom went on to Sandhurst.

“On the very rare opportunities he gets to unwind, he treats himself to an episode of Fawlty Towers and we used to do Monty Python skits together when we were younger.”

Claims of corruption surrounding the multi-billion Al Yamamah deal with Saudi Arabia in 1989 have dogged BAE and successive British governments.

Last year the Serious Fraud Office controversially dropped its investigation into the case after the Government said it could damage relations between the two countries and threaten British interests.

Last week there were reports that BAE paid £1billion over 10 years to Prince Bandar bin Sultan. On Thursday Tony Blair declined to comment on the payments.

But he said that if the SFO investigation into BAE had not been dropped, it would have led to “the complete wreckage of a vital strategic relationship and the loss of thousands of British jobs.” Prince Bandar was Saudi Ambassador to Washington for 20 years and is one of the closest friends of both the Bush Presidents. He is a life-long Dallas Cowboys fan. He left Washington in 2005 and became head of Saudi Arabian national security.

He has been put at the centre of the allegations that British Aerospace paid out hundreds of millions of pounds to secure the £43billion deal with the Saudis.

The ex-RAF chief continued: “We had one of our rare gettogethers only two days ago while he was on a flying visit to his home in Oxfordshire.

“When I read today that he was recuperating with health problems in America, I and two colleagues decided that enough was enough.

“For goodness sake we were playing chess with him on Friday night in rural England.

“The OECD making a fuss about investigations is rather farcical when you find out that it is France that’s leading the campaign to blacken Britain’s name – and win all the deals for Matra and Dassault, makers of Mirage fighter jets.

“The Saudis bought a cracking aircraft in the British Tornado and the Hawk trainer is second to none. Of course Bandar would have given his opinion. After all he could have flown the damned things if he’d wanted to. France has been out in the cold for a long time. They tried to block the military operation to rid Iraq of Saddam.

“Meanwhile they were busy building a French car manufacturing plant in Iran.

“Let’s face it, the French have always been opportunistic when it comes to weapons deals. Maybe their military industry is flat on its face.

“But we took enough French-built Exocets during the Falklands for me not to feel too sorry for them.”

The Daily Express has been told by a senior diplomatic source that the former French Prime Prime Minister, Dominique du Villepin – he famously attacked Britain and the US at the UN for proposed involvement in the second Gulf War – was heavily motivated in his outburst by the fact that the French could not field an operational aircraft carrier.

The RAF source said: “The Clemenceau, their flagship, had been in dry dock for over a year and their military contribution would have been seriously undermined and derided had they not had their military shop window in operation. Here is a man (Bandar) who doesn’t float around the Mediterranean on some super luxury gin palace, like a lot of Arab princes. We reckon he must work 17 or 18 hours a day, most of it airborne – oh yes, his pilots are British, too.

“And he is, without doubt, one of the greatest friends Britain could have.

“Even Nelson Mandela called him publicly ‘a man of principle, a diplomat of astonishing calibre, and one of the great peacemakers of our times.’

“Bandar has two great heroes: Winston Churchill and Margaret Thatcher.”

Lady Thatcher described Prince Bandar as “a man for our times who has been at the very heart of world events for two decades and whom I am proud to call a friend.”

The former RAF officer, knighted for his services, said: “The relationship between Britain and Saudi Arabia is critical in the fight against international terrorism. Bandar is at the centre of this, particularly now as head of national security.

“He understands his own Middle Eastern culture but he also understands the West’s position, and he goes to huge lengths to hold together the incredibly fragile relationship between the Big Five and the Middle East.”

The exasperated ex-RAF man went on: “Look, Bandar has eight children and two grandchildren and a devoted wife.

He’s a total workaholic and his real joy in life is his family and those damned cigars he insists on puffing all day long.

“Why do we want to destroy our relationship with such an important country and such a true friend to Britain and our way of life?”

unfortunately i am unable to provide the link of the three news above , the system says i must have 15 posts at least

The US military presence here in Saudi is now mainly centered around the Regional Air Operations Centre at Prince Sultan Air Base in Al Kharj. Linked directly into the elaborate 'Peace Shield' air defence system, this facility is unmatched in the region. I would be very surprised if the US was to give it up.
they 'gave it up' completely since 26th August 2003 and there was a ceremony that day in PSAB