Royal Saudi Air Force

SaudiArabian

you guys didn't even shoot down the 14 planes that were flying over your territory for 5 hours back and from Iraq.
they flew over Jordan most of the time , and they did violate our airspace but not for long

the RSAF did not have any Early Warning Aircrafts at that year. although there were few USAF E-3's been authorized to fly in the Kingdom and cooperate with the RSAF

one of these USAF E-3's was accused of not reporting to the RSAF about the israeli attack

@ izzy or SaudiArabian
How often does the USAF and Saudi Airforce hold joint exercise?
i don't know but the last one is the red flag. 20 F-15S were flown from here to the US by air refueling , they only landed once in Spain

eaf-f16

they flew over Jordan most of the time , and they did violate our airspace but not for long
I never knew that 14 planes flying over your airspace for 5 hours back and from isn't for long. They spent less time flying over Jordan than Saudi by the way. I was only using it as a point to show you the amount of respect Israel has for Arab countries that aren't Egypt.

Not too long ago an Egyptian drone that was a converted MiG-21 was flown over the Negev Nuclear Research Center to take pictures and they said they didn't shoot it down because they didn't want war with Egypt(a short while after that Israeli F-16's tried to intercept a parachutist that landed there by accident.). But they did warn if it happens again then the peace treaty is void.

But they will willingly violate Saudi Arabia's air space for over 2 hrs. straight and then do it again after that to go home.

SaudiArabian

Prince Bandar bin Sultan issues a statement

Riyadh, June 12, SPA -- Prince Bandar bin Sultan bin Abdulaziz has issued the following statement:

"Last week the Guardian newspaper published stories alleging that secret payments totaling 1 billion British Pound had been paid to my personal account at Riggs Bank in Washington DC. Readers were encouraged to believe that the monies in question came from funds belonging to BAE and that the payments represented corrupt inducements to my personal benefit while I was serving as Ambassador of my country to the USA.

The Guardian allegations as stated above are not only untrue but are grotesque in their absurdity because the funds mentioned were Saudi Government money from start to finish. Thus, the account in the United Sates was as a Saudi Government account and not my personal account.

Although these transactions were confidential between all parties involved, it cannot be thought that with such substantial and regular payments passing through the banking systems of the United Kingdom and the United States, they could be kept "secret" or be concealed from the Government concerned or their regulatory authorities. Further, it can be stated categorically that the BAE was not party to any of these accounts.

I required and obtained all requisite Saudi Government authority to disburse any funds from Riggs account.

In addition, the account in question was at all times audited annually by the Saudi Arabian Ministry of Finance.

Following the discovery of serious irregularities in the activities of Riggs Bank, the account was reviewed by US Treasury and other relevant US authorities and no wrongdoing was found in relation to the operation or management of the Saudi account.

I trust the media will take account of these facts when reporting further on this matter.

I do not intend to make any further statement on this issue although my staff and legal advisers will continue to monitor the matter."

--SPA

eaf-f16

Year was 1979 I flew with them in training base Columbus Airforce Base Miss,
What A challenge they were . They could not Rejoin In Formation Flights,
One of the Prince was there too .Took him 4 years to Graduate Rest of them All their name started with letter AL...Were bunch of confused Clueless..
I could probably shot them down with a Cessna Prop
I am getting old but still have a kick. For An old "Pap" Persian/American Prince I am A Kick.:) :) :D :eek:nfloorl: :lul :lul
Your Iranian aren't you? You know if Saudi ever got tired of Iran's persistence to involve it self in Arab affairs they can just send a few Tornado's and F-15's and "remove the Iranian threat". Not to mention the rumored 30 nukes they bought from Pakistan. They can destroy your whole military and its infrastructure from the air.

When UAE/AF gets the 80 F-16 Block 60/62 and the pilots to man them even they could take you on. Just remove all air threats and bomb air-ground.

Ground forces are nothing with out air-superiority or support.

metro

I don't get what all these Arab countries are doing and why they keep wanting to have US military bases in their countries and then complain when it bombs an Arab or Muslim country for no reason (Iraq).

I sometimes feel like they try to blame Palestine/Israel on us (Egypt) and say we abandoned them and didn't fight to free them, but then they bring the American military to their neighbors door step.

They have to understand war is not a joke and not every time an Arab country dose something stupid Egypt has to come in like superman and save the day.

How many times has Egypt fought on the behalf of other Arab countries that barley helped in the war effort themselves? And how many times did they thank or repay Egypt, the only time I can think of was the Gulf war.

They complain about the Americans but they're the ones who brought them in the first place.
I just wanted to post this to show you (collective "you") I'm not "just making things up." A link won't work as the site is password protected (PWP). I'll c/p the article (Mods. if there's a problem with doing this, please just delete item; it is cited):

DoD officials debate proposal to move African Command from Europe to Morocco

WASHINGTON — Morocco has offered to host the U.S. military's new command in Africa.
The Congressional Research Service said Morocco has asked to host the new Africom, or African Command, of the U.S. military. The Defense Department envisions the Africom starting by 2009 and has been searching for a headquarters.

U.S. Marines aboard the Combined Joint Task Force Horn of Africa command ship USS Mount Whitney enroute to the Indian Ocean. US Navy
"DoD [Department of Defense] officials are currently in consultations with African countries that have a security relationship with the United States, and have allegedly already received offers to host the command from several of them, including Botswana and Morocco," stated the report, "Africa Command: U.S. Strategic Interests and the Role of the U.S. Military in Africa."
Written by analyst Lauren Ploch, the report said Morocco is one of several African countries that have hosted U.S. operations in Africa, providing access to the kingdom's air bases and ports.

"DoD refers to these facilities as 'lily pads,' or cooperative security locations and currently has access to locations in Gabon, Kenya, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Tunisia, Uganda and Zambia," the report said.

At the same time, the U.S. military has been debating a location for Africom, currently stationed in a U.S. base in Germany. The report, released last month, said several officials have urged that the headquarters of Africom in Europe would be more effective in Africa.

"Debate is also ongoing about the number of supporting units or sub-regional offices the command might require," the report said. "DoD suggests there are no final plans at this moment to establish any new military bases in Africa."

The Combined Joint Task Force-Horn of Africa, which would be transferred to Africom in 2008, has deployed more than 1,500 troops at Camp Lemonier in Djibouti. In 2006, the U.S. military signed a five-year lease with the Djiboutian government for Lemonier, with the option to extend the lease for two additional five-year terms.

Ploch said any African country selected for Africom must sign the so-called Status-of-Forces Agreement, which defines the legal status of U.S. personnel and property. The African country would also sign a bilateral non-surrender agreement to protect American personnel from prosecution by the International Criminal Court.

"At the forefront of DoD considerations in determining the host country will be providing for the safety and security of an estimated 500 American personnel and their families who will staff the command," the report said.

"Living standards in Africa are among the lowest in the world, and DoD would prefer a politically stable location with good access to health care and schools and relatively low levels of corruption," the report said.
Geostrategy-Direct, www.geostrategy-direct.com, June 13, 2007

Grand Danois

Entertainer
"cat herder" refers to this saying:

The phrase herding cats comes from the common saying that something involving coordination of many different groups or people is as difficult as herding cats. One of the commonly encountered uses of the term in technical fields is the phrase "Managing programmers is like herding cats" or "Managing engineers is like herding cats". It refers to the individualism common in the stereotypical examples of programmers and domesticated cats. A similar phrase, allegedly of Irish origins, is "Minding mice at a crossroads".

The individualism of the members of this forum makes it a tricky job. ;)

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
"cat herder" refers to this saying:

The phrase herding cats comes from the common saying that something involving coordination of many different groups or people is as difficult as herding cats. One of the commonly encountered uses of the term in technical fields is the phrase "Managing programmers is like herding cats" or "Managing engineers is like herding cats". It refers to the individualism common in the stereotypical examples of programmers and domesticated cats. A similar phrase, allegedly of Irish origins, is "Minding mice at a crossroads".

The individualism of the members of this forum makes it a tricky job. ;)
EDS ran a very clever television advert about 8 years ago on this. very funny to watch. :eek:nfloorl:

Izzy1

Banned Member
How often does the USAF and Saudi Airforce hold joint exercise?
SA may agree or disagree with me on this, but despite RSAF's high flight hour availability, not as often as we should IMO.

RSAF did Red Flag, but there are plenty of opportunities 'in-region' to do a lot more. Pollack and Cordesman ain't wrong, multi squadron operations, strike/attack performance and operating with AWACS are areas that demand further attention. In my honest opinion.

metro

Is there any word on succession in SA? I think the last I heard was that Prince Salman was a favorite to take King Abduallah's place or the Crown Prince.
On the other hand, I've heard those "in line" aren't making things easy.:unknown

The JDAMs from the US to SA went through.

Izzy1

Banned Member
Crown Prince Sultan is next in line to follow King Abdullah.

Who follows after that is open to question - to be frank, old age is an issue here, both for King Abdullah and his half brother, the Crown Prince.

Not going into too many details, but after King Fahd's passing away, the rules of succession after the current Crown Prince demanded change and with wisdom it has been implemented.

Personally, I would like to see Prince Khalid Bin Sultan eventually follow his father (Crown Prince Sultan) to the Thrown. For those who can remember, he was commander of Joint Forces Command during the 1st Gulf War. His book 'Desert Warrior' is a frank, honest and rare (in English) Arab-insight into Operations Desert Shield/Storm. Anyone who could stand up to Schwarzcopf deserves a read!!

JDAM for RSAF is quite fascinating - it's the first trully offensive munition the US has agreed to sell to Saudi. Yet, will its GPS guidance be fickled? Are there any restrictions involved on software or utility? Will we have American CCTV monitoring of stocks and restrictions on where RSAF stcokipiles JDAM (at Khamis maybe - as far away from Israel as possible?). Would be very interested to know.

Basically, I don't think it is no coincidence that Congress has agreed to supply JDAM, just as Europe's MBDA prepares to sell Storm Shadow - a weapon much more suited to potential Saudi needs and already in service within the region with the UAE.

metro

Crown Prince Sultan is next in line to follow King Abdullah.

Who follows after that is open to question - to be frank, old age is an issue here, both for King Abdullah and his half brother, the Crown Prince.

Not going into too many details, but after King Fahd's passing away, the rules of succession after the current Crown Prince demanded change and with wisdom it has been implemented.
I understand.
I heard King Fahd had given instructions/guidelines on how "succession" should work after he passed away. I just didn't know, because of the aging, if anyone had been chosen (I thought that maybe Prince Salman would become the next in line because he's the youngest of the Brothers and has had important positions). I think a problem that Egypt is having is that, Mubarak might/does want his son to takeover, but there are a whole lot of people who are all just waiting for the chance.

JDAM for RSAF is quite fascinating - it's the first trully offensive munition the US has agreed to sell to Saudi. Yet, will its GPS guidance be fickled? Are there any restrictions involved on software or utility? Will we have American CCTV monitoring of stocks and restrictions on where RSAF stcokipiles JDAM (at Khamis maybe - as far away from Israel as possible?). Would be very interested to know.
I really don't know about the "fine print" of the deal at all. I'm not sure that Congress has OFFICIALLY approved anything, and I'm not sure people will for a long time. But I understand terms have been agreed upon.
If I had to guess, I'm sure there are restrictions on where they can be kept (CCTV) monitoring. Other than that, I'm not sure I can even see the need for software restrictions and such (other than making sure most things stay american);). If for some reason they are moved w/o "a reason," I think any "sensitive" areas in the region that might want notified, will have time. Thus, my other guess is that, we'd rather have them stored somewhere like Riyadh, as it isn't too close to Israel, and just about equally as far away from the water ways on both sides of S.A. (USN protection). Again, I have no idea and I'm just guessing though. I really wouldn't be surprised if we put something in everything we sell, no matter who in the world we sell "it" to.

Peace

eaf-f16

I think the US gave the JDAM to the Saudis because of the Iranian threat. And what use would the Strike Eagle be if it wasn't armed with JDAM?

What other Arab countries have JDAM? I know Egypt wanted to buy JDAM for it's F-16's but was denied and later on we requested them along with a batch of F-15E Strike Eagles and were denied. I also know that we requested the Aim-120 AMRAAM but were also denied. Maybe this is why were about to go Russian.