Marlin AIP SSK

contedicavour

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry, thats not possible and there no plans to fit any Nuclear reactor in to Scorpene.
How is the Indian programme for a SSN class advancing ? We hear a lot about Scorpene and potential derivative of Lada/Amur to replace eventually the Kilos, but much less about the SSNs !

cheers

aaaditya

How is the Indian programme for a SSN class advancing ? We hear a lot about Scorpene and potential derivative of Lada/Amur to replace eventually the Kilos, but much less about the SSNs !

cheers
obviously since it is supposed to be a top secret project,the last news that i heard is that thales uk has offered to supply it with a non-hull penetrating optronics mast and a combat management system(they claim it to be similiar to the one used on the royal navy astute class of submarines.)

kams

cheers
Not much is known. Reactor design had some breakthroughs, one of the reactor having gone critical couple of months back. Problems with Titanium welding have been resolved by Larson and Toubro.

contedicavour

Thanks to you both. What are the best estimates of in service dates for the first of class of these new SSNs ? Would it be plausible that India ends up leasing short term Russian Akulas ?

cheers

aaaditya

Thanks to you both. What are the best estimates of in service dates for the first of class of these new SSNs ? Would it be plausible that India ends up leasing short term Russian Akulas ?

cheers
the estimates stated by the indian navy for the launch of the first submarine is 2007 ,but i believe it would be end 2009 or early 2010 when this submarine will be launched.

i see the induction of the akulas as a definite possibility ,should the atv class of submarine be delayed any further.

aaaditya

Not much is known. Reactor design had some breakthroughs, one of the reactor having gone critical couple of months back. Problems with Titanium welding have been resolved by Larson and Toubro.
actually the biggest sucess that the indian navy achieved is that it solved the problem of mating the reactor containment vessel with the submarine's hull,i believe this was done with russian assistance.

contedicavour

the estimates stated by the indian navy for the launch of the first submarine is 2007 ,but i believe it would be end 2009 or early 2010 when this submarine will be launched.

i see the induction of the akulas as a definite possibility ,should the atv class of submarine be delayed any further.
Ok thanks for your best estimate on launch date.

I'm wondering if building Akulas under licence, though with the Indian reactor, wouldn't be an easier 1st step before developing an almost 100% indigenous SSN.

cheers

kams

Ok thanks for your best estimate on launch date.

I'm wondering if building Akulas under licence, though with the Indian reactor, wouldn't be an easier 1st step before developing an almost 100% indigenous SSN.

cheers
Well the key is to get the reactor going (including running it for couple of years on land to get the define the safety parameters, evaluate reliability etc) . The land based reactor for ATV is running since 2004, by this time they should have good amount of data on its safety and reliability and whether design needs any changes.

Even after ATV gets in to water it will take good 1-2 years before it can be operational (Provided all things go well, it rarely does).

In any case Akulas (if IN gets them) will be vital to fill the gap till ATV is operational. As to using Akula's hull, good idea provided Russians are willing.

contedicavour

since the thread is about Marlin SSK, is it the most advanced Sub in south Asia??
Well the SSK isn't even built yet and all specs are not fully known, but is certainly is supposed to beat anything afloat at the moment in south Asia. Real question is what is its performance vs India's future Scorpenes ... especially as both subs are created by DCN.
Scorpenes may have an edge with Brahmos/Yakhont cruise missiles aboard.

cheers

kams

cheers
I don't think Scorpene can take Brahmos as its not tube launched, but VLS. (Based on a TV documentary on Brahmos where Dr.Pillai showed a model of sub-launched Brahmos)

birdofprey

Banned Member
Well the SSK isn't even built yet and all specs are not fully known, but is certainly is supposed to beat anything afloat at the moment in south Asia. Real question is what is its performance vs India's future Scorpenes ... especially as both subs are created by DCN.
cheers
you are from France right? ok i am not good at sub field but since all subs Augosta 90b, Scorpenes, and Merlin are made in france tell me which one would you rate the best! please judge this without beeing pro indian..:)
and plus i think one of pakistani Reverse engineered cruise missile will be also fitted in Augosta 90b..

contedicavour

I don't think Scorpene can take Brahmos as its not tube launched, but VLS. (Based on a TV documentary on Brahmos where Dr.Pillai showed a model of sub-launched Brahmos)
Hmm then Klub-S may be ?
Or a VLS section could be added to the hull by legthening it a bit.
I don't think India would be satisfied with 40-km range SM-39 ...

cheers

kams

Hmm then Klub-S may be ?
Or a VLS section could be added to the hull by legthening it a bit.
I don't think India would be satisfied with 40-km range SM-39 ...

cheers
Klub-S is a possibility, is it compatible with the SUBTICS? Integrating a VLS can be done, but it has to be done during initial construction. In addition, to maintain the reserve buoyency, length may have to increased significantly, which in turn would mean upgrading the propulsion. Interestingly there is no operational SSK with a VLS. Amur 900 reportedly has a VLS, but its not in service.

aaaditya

maybe not the present version of the scorpene,but the indian navy already has plans to develop an indigenised and advanced version of the scorpene using the design experience gained from manufacturing the current batch of scorpenes,once the first 6 scorpenes are constructed.

these scorpenes i believe would be modified to carry vls brahmos misisles as well as torpedo tube fired kilo missiles,they may also have a variant of the indigenous panchendriya sonar(which is being developed for the atv),and also may have an aip.

indian navy is not that confident as of now regarding the mesma aips ,hence they are acquiring the initial batch of scorpenes without aip,with an option for integrating the aip in the later batch with later retro fitting on the initial 6 scorpenes.

aaaditya

Klub-S is a possibility, is it compatible with the SUBTICS? Integrating a VLS can be done, but it has to be done during initial construction. In addition, to maintain the reserve buoyency, length may have to increased significantly, which in turn would mean upgrading the propulsion. Interestingly there is no operational SSK with a VLS. Amur 900 reportedly has a VLS, but its not in service.
the amur 1650 can be equipped with the vls brahmos,the length would automatically increase for any modifications,take for example the pakistani agostas they are larger than the standard agostas since they have been equipped with the mesma.scorpene is a modular design ,it is available in three different sizes,but its size and capability can be increased with any major design modifications to accomodate the vls brahmos.

Mangusta CBT

About MESMA the Us-Navy said ...

The MESMA AIP has no chance in the future AIP market because other AIP systems are less expensive (CCD) or are more efficient and have growth potential (fuel cell).

contedicavour

About MESMA the Us-Navy said ...

The MESMA AIP has no chance in the future AIP market because other AIP systems are less expensive (CCD) or are more efficient and have growth potential (fuel cell).
Good news for fuel cell systems such as those aboard U212A or the S1000 :D

ciao

SATAN

So how many Marlins is Pakistan interested in buying? 3 or 6? It is also interested in 4 U214 fuel cell SSKs to replace the 4 Dauphin French submarines that were retired earlier this year.