AMRAAM and R-77 performance review

ROCK45

non-mid-course-update version of AIM-120

obrescia
The Europeans tested the non-mid-course-update version of AIM-120, and its kill probability dropped below that of their existing Skyflash weapon.
Could you possibly list a link to this test or more information about the year or how the test was carried out? Thanks

Flanker will most certainly be equipped with a Threat Warning System that listens for Raptors AIM-120 mid-course update (data burst transmission) after F-22 weapon release.
Could you list the name of this "Threat Warning System" of more information on it. Is it in production? Is it operational on any Flankers? The Flanker doesn't have magical powers it will pick up the missiles (maybe) or late and won't have the reaction time needed to evade.

Cope India has shown the F-15 weapons package is vulnerable to
What's does the weapons system in a Raptor has to do with the weapons system of a F-15C? There are many years between the two systems.

The Cope India issue was covered about fifty times over and was not a true showing of either sides real capabilities I'll leave at that.

obrescia

Banned Member
This subject isn't a pc-game. At minimum please read the following...and get back to me.

c) Iranian F-14 Tomcat Units In Combat- Cooper, Tom; Bishop, Farzad; Osprey Publishing, 2004.

d) ...And Kill MiGs, Air to Air Combat From Vietnam to the Gulf War (3rd), Squadron/Signal Publications, Lou Drendel.

e) Air War South Atlantic - Ethell, Jeffrey L.; Price, Alfred - New York, NY, USA: MacMillan, 1983.

ROCK45

3 books

So I must read these three books to be at your level?

Back to the post before this you mention items but didn't back up your words. Show me some results or a link of this to this - non-mid-course-update version of AIM-120, and its kill probability dropped below that of their existing Skyflash weapon. Sounds dated to me.

Do you know how many people say things about Flankers on all the different and wonderful things they say they can do? You didn't list the device name or answer my question is operational or deployed on any Flankers?

Mig-21 Bison type aircraft vs the F-15C - And do you truly believe a Bison is on the same level as a F-15C? Think out side the box a little think about the size of scanner on the F-15C radar compared to the one on the upgraded Mig-21/93? Don't think the F-15C might just see it first and get into a better firing position first? It was training meet, not real fighting certain setups between aircraft were pre-arranged to serve a purpose so pilots and crews could learn from it.

I'll talk aviation with you 24/7 but you seem to be a bit anti-American and just knock American equipment and not really present any facts to back up your statements. If you want to just push Iran's F-14s and still feel there the best thing flying then that's fine too. India did very well in the mock training Cope India event I won't say they didn't. But it still just training and very far from being real and both sides learn a lot. The Su-30 MKI is a great fighter bet you wish Iran had them.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
he Flanker doesn't have magical powers
I beg to differ. We have the magic power of marketing. Hence why it's such a commercial success. Sounds like magic to me.

obrescia

Banned Member
No dude. It just is what it is. When name callers know they're loosing the argument...they turn into...well uh name callers. It's because the Mig-21 did so well that there is a reason for concern. On paper the Fishbed has no chance...but look what can happen(!?) Relax. We can keep our people home flying over friendly airspace (here) and it’s all good.

obrescia

Banned Member
Cope India(s)

What’s not real about Cope India? American airplanes flying over other countries in hostile airspace against integrated air defense and scores of "low-tech" enemy aircraft. Yes you're correct...that would never (ever) happen, what was I thinking?!...I must be nuts!?! :rolleyes:

So I must read these three books to be at your level?

Back to the post before this you mention items but didn't back up your words. Show me some results or a link of this to this - non-mid-course-update version of AIM-120, and its kill probability dropped below that of their existing Skyflash weapon. Sounds dated to me.

Do you know how many people say things about Flankers on all the different and wonderful things they say they can do? You didn't list the device name or answer my question is operational or deployed on any Flankers?

Mig-21 Bison type aircraft vs the F-15C - And do you truly believe a Bison is on the same level as a F-15C? Think out side the box a little think about the size of scanner on the F-15C radar compared to the one on the upgraded Mig-21/93? Don't think the F-15C might just see it first and get into a better firing position first? It was training meet, not real fighting certain setups between aircraft were pre-arranged to serve a purpose so pilots and crews could learn from it.

I'll talk aviation with you 24/7 but you seem to be a bit anti-American and just knock American equipment and not really present any facts to back up your statements. If you want to just push Iran's F-14s and still feel there the best thing flying then that's fine too. India did very well in the mock training Cope India event I won't say they didn't. But it still just training and very far from being real and both sides learn a lot. The Su-30 MKI is a great fighter bet you wish Iran had them.

ROCK45

Name caller

obrescia I didn't call you any names I just ask you to support your statements that's all, which by the way you still haven't. We all have opinions and there's nothing wrong with that kind of makes forum cool but if I say a Mirage 2000-5 have a device that can jam AIM-120s, you have the right to ask me what device? That's where I was coming from and not calling you names. Read Grand Danois post ask questions there a lot of people that will help.

Feanor - I'm PM you
You mentioned marketing do you think Russia markets there aircraft well? I think Russia could improve on there marketing skills a little. If Russian marketing better there would be even more Flanker uses take away India/China and it has average sales for very capable aircraft platform. If Russia had better training equipment/SIM and were little stronger in training and support areas there would be more Flankers flying. High end Flankers backed with advance/training & support are nasty.

obrescia

Banned Member
Here’s my link and ref material noted, labeled C, D, E

Whether the F-22 (F-35) should enter service is largely academic. Our 'teen' airframes are wearing out.

The Gulf of Sidra incident, January 4, 1989; just about says all anyone needs to say on this subject matter. (Audio recording of engagement) Select download MP3 file

http://www.ka8vit.com/sd/shootdown.htm

The F-22 tactical use issues (never mind F-35, not even worth discussion) are:

1) Primary main weapon range / Newton’s second law of motion.
2) ECM detection of mid-course update transmission(s) for main weapon.
3) Thermal signature(s) platform & main weapon.
4) Daylight contrail(s) platform & main weapon.
5) Super-cruise only at high altitude.

Reason(s)

1) Despite claim(s) of an AIM-120D version, dimensions may be the issue. First, what is the amount of propellant possible in standard AIM-120 round? Second, FMRAAM (ramjet version) fitment inside F-22 weapons bay? The Europeans who were partnered on the AIM-120 program have since embarked on a more suitable weapon, the Meteor.

If the 'kinematics' augment is to be advanced by F-22 proponents as a key capability, to sweep the airspace of enemy fighters then there are several problems. They include: combined closure rate, maneuverability, airframe thermal heating due to air friction and hot exhaust exposure.

See:
http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-Raptor.html

Simplified Condition: Initial head-on frontal aspect intercept of Flanker (firing R-77M) by F-22 (firing AIM-120C). A flight of 4 to 6 Flankers flying at 500 knots, against flight of 4 Raptors flying in super cruise at 1500 knots. The combined closer rate of all aircraft would be 2000 knots (500 + 1500).

The 'kinematics' augment says that F-22 will use its faster speed to 'push' its AIM-120 missiles towards Flanker, If both opposing flights of aircraft fire their weapons, both attacker and defender missile range benefit from a head-on engagement via the closure rate. F-22 fires AIM-120C sooner but also effectively flies INTO Flankers R-77M (!) Missile range = launch aircraft speed + missile velocity + target speed. Raptor faces additional problems at higher speeds because of simple physics, Thermal airframe heating (IRST detection) and reduced maneuvering potential due to the limits of pilot G-loads. Flanker moving at 500 knots would have enormous advantage in defensive maneuvering (AIM-120 avoidance) and to turn and fire on exiting Raptor.

Whatever the remaining aircraft, they now flash past each other at approximate 2000 knots and initiate turns, Raptor now exposes it’s hot exhaust to Flanker as F-22 make a wide sweeping turn due to it 1500 knot speed/pilot G-limit. The engagement then starts all over again. Typically this involves into a classic tuning/maneuvering contest...the dogfight.

This whole this boils down to this. If F-22 press their attack, closure rates will be so high and air-air weapons malfunctions (missiles fly wide) such a regular occurrence (on both sides) that F-22 aircrews will be in a dogfight within moments after calling "fox-3" Against the advanced Flanker, this is truly a nightmare scenario.

R-77 See:
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/weapons/q0261.shtml

2) Flanker will most certainly be equipped with a Threat Warning System that listens for Raptors AIM-120 mid-course update (data burst transmission) after F-22 weapon release. From here two (2) things could happen. First, the Threat Warning System triggers automatic release of expendables (chaff/flares). See page 41 'c'. Second, Flanker pilot then initiates a defensive 'beaming' or 'beam-turn' maneuver. See page 36-37 'c', page 97 ’d’.

3) IRST see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infra-red_search_and_track

http://www.aviapedia.com/video/new-mig-35-ols-video

Flanker uses as primary system for gun firing solution. Development/advancement cycles for IRST systems would be orders of magnitude more frequent than F-22 airframes changes, combined with IR-versions of the R-77 (R-77M1) missile being the first problem. The second is Flanker radar (slaved to IRST). The IRST may see something and then point its main radar straight at F-22, (straight to ‘track’).

The canard equipped versions of the flanker is an astonishing aircraft.
Please see: (w/sound)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1o3rov7cB4"]YouTube - Su-37 presentation video[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY0t_mPv6I4"]YouTube - Sukhoi SU-30 Flight Demonstration[/ame]

http://www.defensetech.org/archives/000976.html

Beaten the F-15 time to clime records,
http://www.ausairpower.net/flanker.html

http://www.air-races.com/aircraft/Sukhoi Su-31.htm

4) Self-evident

5) F-22 low-bypass engines are the key to its high altitude super cruise capability. Low bypass engines require more use of reheat (afterburner) at lower maneuvering speed and/or altitudes. This is plainly evident, see:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUgPscDjf7U"]YouTube - F22 Langley 2007 Friday Evening Demo[/ame]

Also F-22 unusual 'speed-brake' control scheme may also reveal its true nature as an aircraft more akin to the Lockheed YF-12, than the plane it replaces, the F-15, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_YF-12

If Raptor is to be flown at high altitudes and high speed vs. Advanced Flanker a situation similar to what occurred in the early stages of the Falkland conflict could emerge. Argentine Mirages stayed at high altitudes while Royal Navy Harriers remained at medium altitudes (neither side content to give away his advantage) in what is best described as a series of 'non-engagements'.

The Russians were forced to counter our superb F-14, F-15, F-16 and F-18. The Flanker appears to be able to that job (F-14 w/AIM-54 was a big maybe) very (very) well. Cope India was a nasty shock to air force brass. Yes the analysts tried to diminish the results, but they said the same thing about the cobra maneuver, (which the F-22 has been out copying). Now as we all know this maneuver was just a hint at Flankers jaw dropping agility – the analysts were wrong.

A astute observer may also notice things like published range for the F-16 and even the F-15 are always with drop tanks, the Mig-29 and Sukhoi are published without tanks.

The Mig-25 was designed to counter the North American Mach-3 XB-70, the B-58 Hustler and the B-52. There is some method to their madness. The Russians still have the Mig-1.44, Su-47 and a moving target called PAK-FA. Whether they build them or not is likely an issue of need rather than finances.

Mig-21 was designed to counter the high flying B-52. The Mig-31 was designed to counter the low flying FB-111 and B-1A.

The excellent range of Mig-31 and Flanker has to do with geography/history. Russia is the largest country on earth and it’s history has seen Genghis Khan to the Panzer Divisions.

All Flanker (and Mig-31) really need to do is scare off our AWACS, (Joint Stars) and tankers. Bottom line is the next war will likely start and end during the flight time of a KS-172.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novator_KS-172_AAM-L

The Flanker airframe has enormous growth potential typified by the Su-27M and Su-34. The Advanced Flanker Series (canard/thrust vectoring) might just be….the most significant fighter aircraft since the Spitfire of WWII.

The Europeans tested the non-mid-course-update version of AMRAAM (AIM-120), and its kill probability dropped below that of their existing Skyflash weapon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyflash

One last comment. If Mr. Clancy's comments are correct: that a future opponent would need to indeed track every object down to say the size of an insect to 'see' the F-22 Raptor. Uh well, they'd just focus on "insect" sized object(s), flying in a straight line, line abreast of say about a mile separation, at high altitude, around 1.5+ Mach....

Those should be your F-22s.

The Russians appear to have thought through all these issues with the precision of a chess grand master.

Checkmate?

Note: China is in possession of large numbers of Flanker. Historically however the Chinese Air Force combat performance would best be described as abysmal.

- Olaf Brescia / Sacramento, CA

c) Iranian F-14 Tomcat Units In Combat- Cooper, Tom; Bishop, Farzad; Osprey Publishing, 2004.

d) ...And Kill MiGs, Air to Air Combat From Vietnam to the Gulf War (3rd), Squadron/Signal Publications, Lou Drendel.

e) Air War South Atlantic - Ethell, Jeffrey L.; Price, Alfred - New York, NY, USA: MacMillan, 1983.

obrescia

Banned Member
The 'Siren' RWR on the Mig-25RB detected the F-14A-GR Tomcats PSTT emission update to its AIM-54 after the weapon was fired at the Mig. The Foxbat pilot then executed a maneuver to escape. The engagement occurred 15-May 1981. That was now 27 years ago. Advanced Flanker undoubtedly has a much better Threat Warning System. A description is on page 41 below.

Iranian F-14 Tomcat Units In Combat- Cooper, Tom; Bishop, Farzad; Osprey Publishing, 2004

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
No dude. It just is what it is. When name callers know they're loosing the argument...they turn into...well uh name callers. It's because the Mig-21 did so well that there is a reason for concern. On paper the Fishbed has no chance...but look what can happen(!?) Relax. We can keep our people home flying over friendly airspace (here) and it’s all good.
Ok. What Flanker variant are you facing you Raptors off again? What conflict is this? (i.e. combatants, and date) You didn't appreciate my good natured humor, then lets debate about this. :)

obrescia

Banned Member
geez...who knows?

Interesting link(s)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air-to-air_missile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vympel_R-77

General Designer of the Vympel Design Bureau, said that the R-77 missile can be used against medium and long range air-to-air missiles such as the AIM-120 AMRAAM and AIM-54 Phoenix, as well as SAMs such as the Patriot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM-120_AMRAAM

http://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=79

Missiles are often cited with their maximum engagement range, which is very misleading. A missile's effective range is dependent on factors such as altitude, speed, position, and direction of target aircraft. For example the Vympel R-77 has stated range of 100 km. That's only true for a head-on, non-evading target at high altitude. At low altitude, the effective range is reduced by as much as 75%-80% to 20-25 km. If the target is taking evasive action, or in stern-chase position, the effective range is further reduced. See Air-to-Air missile non-comparison table for more information. The effective range of an air-to-air missile is known as the 'no-escape zone', noting the range at which the target can not evade the missile once launched.

Poorly-trained pilots, are known to fire their missiles at maximum-range engagement with poor results. In the 1998-2000 Eritrean-Ethiopian War, fighters from both sides shot over a dozen medium-range R-27 (AA-10 Alamo) missiles at distance with little effect. But when better-trained Ethiopian Su-27 pilots gave chase and attacked with short-range R-73 (AA-11 Archer) missiles, the results were often deadly to the Eritrean aircraft

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Missiles are often cited with their maximum engagement range, which is very misleading. A missile's effective range is dependent on factors such as altitude, speed, position, and direction of target aircraft.

the more critical element is missile to target range and target behaviour after the first 4 seconds. The NEZ is useless for any missile if the first 4 seconds of data is out of whack

Ozzy Blizzard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM-120_AMRAAM

http://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=79

Missiles are often cited with their maximum engagement range, which is very misleading. A missile's effective range is dependent on factors such as altitude, speed, position, and direction of target aircraft. For example the Vympel R-77 has stated range of 100 km. That's only true for a head-on, non-evading target at high altitude. At low altitude, the effective range is reduced by as much as 75%-80% to 20-25 km. If the target is taking evasive action, or in stern-chase position, the effective range is further reduced. See Air-to-Air missile non-comparison table for more information. The effective range of an air-to-air missile is known as the 'no-escape zone', noting the range at which the target can not evade the missile once launched.

This is a good point. Maximum range shots are going to have a very low probability of a kill, simply because the missiles terminal kinematics are so poor at the late stage. However, sighting a missiles superiority in maximum range usually indicates a similar superiority in NEZ/V (No Escape Zone/Volume) size. Therefore a missiles maximum range is still relevant. Anyway in point of fact a missile can still be very effective outside of its NEZ: modern ARH missiles only need track data for targeting, therefore it's difficult for the target to know they have actually been fired on. This is especially true for LPI radar equiped fighters. The target may take evasive action if it detects the shooter tracking him, but unlike SARH missiles there is no direct warning that the missile has been fired. Detection of the missile being cued by an LPI radar will usually come from the platforms radar actually getting a return from the missile. NEZ only applies to the target egressing from the threat at top speed and out runing the missile. If the missile is detected later the NEZ increases dramatically.

Poorly-trained pilots, are known to fire their missiles at maximum-range engagement with poor results. In the 1998-2000 Eritrean-Ethiopian War, fighters from both sides shot over a dozen medium-range R-27 (AA-10 Alamo) missiles at distance with little effect. But when better-trained Ethiopian Su-27 pilots gave chase and attacked with short-range R-73 (AA-11 Archer) missiles, the results were often deadly to the Eritrean aircraft
That could also be a result of poor R-27 performance, in addition to bad positioning. R73 is a potent beast, but AFAIK there was some trouble with SARH R-27.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Flanker vs Raptor?...geez, no idea. does it really matter for a "what if" deal?
It does matter. It makes a huge difference depending on the variant, the scenario (AWACS support, friendly SAM's, refueling needs, etc.), and many other factors. Your comparison was completely worthless because it ignored all of these factors. Since the USA is the only nation with Raptors, please choose the enemy and date of the conflict. Then we'll analyze how well the Flankers would realistically face up against the Raptors. Let me give you a hint, even if the two aircraft were comparable in performance, there are only a handful of nations flying any substantial fleets of advanced Flankers (Russia not being one of them). I can only think of India and China off the top of my head.