AMRAAM and R-77 performance review

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Meteor was intended to be use onboard the EF-2000 right? and currently, they use AMRAAM. If the meteor require a different setting from the AMRAAM, that means EF-2000 need a lot of modifications before the missile could fit.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Awang se said:
The Meteor was intended to be use onboard the EF-2000 right? and currently, they use AMRAAM. If the meteor require a different setting from the AMRAAM, that means EF-2000 need a lot of modifications before the missile could fit.
If they are using standard rails, yes, its a bolt on.
The other issues are how the changed missile effects drag, centre of gravity issues, flight characteristics etc... I would assume that the software port is a no brainer.

umair

Peace Enforcer
One more missile who's performance is anologous with that of the above two is the French Mica active radar homing aam.The mica looks alot like the AA-12.
The Matra Bae Mica

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Awang se said:
As long as the missile is under 5 metres it can go on the Typhoon.

EADs have tested a Mach 6.5 missile, they are intending to have it fly at Mach 12.

That will be an awesome missile and would make any pilot a little nervous.

It has already flown Mach 6.5 at 200metres altitude. So any pilot who thinks that they can fly low will also be in trouble. Its pulling 100g's. :)

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
The missile must be one tough structure. The G load will be-extra big.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Awang se said:
The missile must be one tough structure. The G load will be-extra big.
Its primarily made of carbon fibre. temps are reaching 2400f

Thats one hot little missile, imagine that hitting an engine and causing sudden temperature changes...

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
I bet they depend entirely on body lift for this missile, means no wings right? Can it posibly hit something at the edge of space.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Awang se said:
I bet they depend entirely on body lift for this missile, means no wings right? Can it posibly hit something at the edge of space.
It is a traditional looking missile. The first one had lattice fins, the second version has normal fins.

With the right thrust package, electronics and slaving to a threat response system I would assume that it is low orbit satellite killer capable

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Awang se said:
Where do you found out about this missile?
There was some public domain data avail in europe, my current info is not web avail yet. :smokingc:

Flight International also have published specs about a month ago.

umair

Peace Enforcer
TO gf0012
U might have read about the J-F 17 and it's projected abilities.The Pakistani version will be equipped with the latest in French avionics(I know this for a fact) What I want to ask is keeping the above statement in mind which BVR active radar missile would you recommend be fitted on the Thunder. 1)The Mica, 2)The Meteor(when it becomes available), 3)The T-Darter or 4)The SD-10.Also do you have any SRAAM in mind? :? :help

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
IMHO French systems would be best with french weapons. I would pick the Mica. Its very impressive on paper.

SRAAM is probably the same, unless you can get hold of sidewinder x's.

But there appears to be a subtle shift away from dogfighting capability. - more BVR fighting (just look at all the missiles avail now!)

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
The next generation pilots will not see their opponent before they or their opponent died, i guess.

I wonder why the US didn't apply the SM-1/2 design to the AMRAAM.

Slyder

Hi all. Im looking for as much technical Data on the AIM-120 and the R-77

Where could I find some acurate specifications ?

falcon2k7

When I see these types of threads, I tend to go with what you know. I know the AMRAAM as a 100% kill rate under combat conditions. The combat ablities of the R-77 is still unknown. It's the old, "Go with what you know until something better comes a long."

Chrom

When I see these types of threads, I tend to go with what you know. I know the AMRAAM as a 100% kill rate under combat conditions. The combat ablities of the R-77 is still unknown. It's the old, "Go with what you know until something better comes a long."
When the last time AMRAAM was used in combat conditions? You know, against aircrafts with working ECM and RWR? Against any half-modern aircraft?

Cant see why R-77 will fail to hit say unaware F-4 if that missile dont have much problem hitting Mig-17 training drone.

XaNDeR

It's funny that everytime Russia releases a new piece of equipment it's superior to anything made anywhere else. It's always faster, long ranged, more accurate, higher tech and amazingly also much much cheaper and yet just about every time Russian versus Western Equipment comes into combat the Western equipment the Russian equipment comes off second best. Something doesn't quite add up here. If the Russian equipment is so good why does it fail so regularly? And how can they consistently outdesign Western Countries when their research and development budgets are so poor? Are their designers so much more brilliant then anyone elses, or just their marketers?
When did Russia fight versus some western tech anyway?

What are we comparing now , western air to air missiles versus russian air to air missiles , when did they combat then?
Surely your not comparing some Gulf War or something , that is just ridicilous ,because first of all other country's usualy have a downgraded version of something , not the best available thing russians invented , second of all they have bad pilots , third of all USA has AWACS , and with that it just comes down to pidgeon shooting..

AntiBond007

Well, there were wars by proxy. Especially in the middle east, and actually the Soviet air to air missiles are what spured Israel to develop what is now the python.

There are things that can be questioned about Soviet/Russian tech, but missiles (of all types) are not one of them. If there is one thing that they can build well, its that. And even events that built up the notion of western supriority (i.e middle east wars), illustrate this point.

funtz

i request some one to please answer these questions.
1. Is it possible to get a professional analyses of any of the bvr missles?
2. Can the combat conditions not be created for the sake of testing a missile(awac, electronic jamming, an agile target uav etc etc.)?

Totoro

1. what do you mean by professional analysis? Anyone who has first hand access to the missiles will not give out his analysis to the public. All the data about any missile out there is either manufacturer's promo material data, which may or may not be correct (there are objective reasons why they may want to withold precise data) or some independent "analyst's" guesswork.

2. Yes, testing conditions can be created. Thats how every missile gets made, really, after testing it and applying any necessary improvements. But again, no one who has access to the missile will release the results of such tests to the public.