ZSU-23-2 MT-LB Mount?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member

Is this a typical thing? I always thought that most MT-LB's in the Russian Army were unarmed. Anyone know more about this?

tatra

Verified Defense Pro

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

Is this a typical thing? I always thought that most MT-LB's in the Russian Army were unarmed. Anyone know more about this?
Kind of a cheap effective way of placing a weapons platform like this for area suppression. The new Iraqi Army likes theirs

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ahh. I've heard of the BTR mounted ones. I've also heard of the Strela-10 which mounted and wired together 8 Strela-3 missiles on an MT-LB chassis.

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
Ahh. I've heard of the BTR mounted ones. I've also heard of the Strela-10 which mounted and wired together 8 Strela-3 missiles on an MT-LB chassis.
SAM versions are dedicated designs, not improvisations.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Really? So the ZSU-23-2 MT-LB would not be a viable AA platform? Because the ZSU-23-2 is an AAA.

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
Really? So the ZSU-23-2 MT-LB would not be a viable AA platform? Because the ZSU-23-2 is an AAA.
1. The whole point of a twin 23mm portee often is its use as a fire support platform for ground forces, not principally as AAA.
2. While a portee provides superior mobility to the AAA, it does not constitute a 'system' much in the same way that there is a big difference between an APC with a guy in the back wielding a MANPADS and e.g. LeFlaSys on Wiesel or Atilgan on M113. SA-13 Gopher (originally with 2x2 Strela 10 but in some modernized version with 2x4 "IGLA" [SA-16 Gimlet, SA-18 Grouse] MANPADS) falls in the latter category.

23mm portee pics: http://pvo.guns.ru/zu23/zu23_chechnya.htm

Last edited: