Yugoslavia Military

NZLAV

Yugoslavia once had one of the most powerful millitaries in Europe; with well over 500 fighter aircraft, 1000's of tanks, ATW, SAM and missile craft. In the late 80's, did Yugoslavia have the power to defend itself from a larger neighour, such as the United Kingdom.

Another thing I would like is what happened to the Yugoslav frigates? Yugoslavia had over 500 fighter and I can only see 120 in the new states. The Nosa Avon (spelling?) was a concept fighter plane for Yugoslavia, was their ever a prototype, if so, where is it?

Rich

Yugoslavia once had one of the most powerful millitaries in Europe; with well over 500 fighter aircraft, 1000's of tanks, ATW, SAM and missile craft. In the late 80's, did Yugoslavia have the power to defend itself from a larger neighour, such as the United Kingdom.

Another thing I would like is what happened to the Yugoslav frigates? Yugoslavia had over 500 fighter and I can only see 120 in the new states. The Nosa Avon (spelling?) was a concept fighter plane for Yugoslavia, was their ever a prototype, if so, where is it?
I know a bunch got blowed up and shot down in the air war with NATO but I dont have exact figures. And I wouldnt call the UK a "neighbor".

Ragusian

It was indeed big, but mostly old and outdated equipment.
The majority of exYU fighters were obsolete, aswell as tanks and ships.
The frigates you are reffereing to were 2 Koni class and 2 Kotor class(basically a Yugoslavian Koni with some modifications).
Novi Avion, or YUsupersonic, was indeed a rather good project, which was scheduled to fly somewhere in 1995, but it never happened. A production run of 170-200 was planned, and it would replace the MiG-21 in the yugoslavian airforce. Models were contructed and tested in wind tunnels, and a mock up of the cabin was also constructed. There were even rumours of a joint developement with India in some areas...
The navy was planning a more modern take on the FACms, and a couple of more of Kotor frigates. A new subamarine was also planned, I think they even considered a Exocet equipped class of larger submarines...

But even so, Yugoslavia was far from UK in just about any area in defence...

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Another thing I would like is what happened to the Yugoslav frigates?
Still around, in Montenegro (the Kotors and Konis). You can see them here (along with the rest of the fleet), if you use GoogleEarth.

contedicavour

We talked a lot about those light frigates in the thread dedicated to the Croatian military. Egypt and Libya have expressed interest in them.

cheers

Ragusian

The newest news are that the 34 is out on the sea, having a smaller refit. She is also scheduled to participate in the joint exercise ADRICON 2007 later this year.
It is rumoured that she is not for sale, and that they intend to keep her as a flagship/training boat.
The other Kotor is for sale, aswell as Konis

contedicavour

The newest news are that the 34 is out on the sea, having a smaller refit. She is also scheduled to participate in the joint exercise ADRICON 2007 later this year.
It is rumoured that she is not for sale, and that they intend to keep her as a flagship/training boat.
The other Kotor is for sale, aswell as Konis
Ah-ha so Montenegro has found enough experienced officers and sailors to man one of the FFGs ? wow unexpected...
Did they keep the old Styx SSM and Gecko SAM ?

cheers