X37 payload - vs Korea or Iran ?

Hey Everyone,

Wondering if anyone has any insight into the payload of the X37 thats currently in orbit. Some sites state the it is / may be / testing a prototype of kinetic bombardment weapon, which are not prohibited by Space weapons agreements or SALT 2.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rods_from_God"]Kinetic bombardment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Perhaps at targets in Korea or Iran.

Any ideas whats the payload of this vessel is? Boeing X-37 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers
Plas

on a side note... if I were china or russia the x37 would be a great practice target for ASAT weapons system, ie.. its spiraling out of control, better make sure it doesnt fall on a populated area.

BK101

Hey Everyone,

Wondering if anyone has any insight into the payload of the X37 thats currently in orbit. Some sites state the it is / may be / testing a prototype of kinetic bombardment weapon, which are not prohibited by Space weapons agreements or SALT 2.

Kinetic bombardment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Perhaps at targets in Korea or Iran.

Any ideas whats the payload of this vessel is? Boeing X-37 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers
Plas

on a side note... if I were china or russia the x37 would be a great practice target for ASAT weapons system, ie.. its spiraling out of control, better make sure it doesnt fall on a populated area.
I believe ASAT was developed for satellites with calculated and predictable orbits and not space planes. The U.S. military probably have defense measures in place in case of such an attack would occur.
That’s just my opinion.
Additionally, why would you say such a thing that it would be great target practice? That was kind of a hostile statement.

Hey Everyone,
on a side note... if I were china or russia the x37 would be a great practice target for ASAT weapons
system, ie.. its spiraling out of control, better make sure it doesnt fall on a populated area.
this "ASAT" commentary is thrown around quite carelessly/effortlessly as of late.

what would be gained, exactly, if a country were to partake in such forward, hostile action?

why would any country with space-based assets wish to introduce a host of debris into LEO/MEO/etc, of which would be the end result of such an attack?

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
The above posters make good points re ASAT.

For kinetic bombardment, you'd need pretty dense projectiles, wouldn't you? X-37 only has a 500 pound payload (according to public information, anyway) in a seven-foot by four-foot bay... doesn't sound like it's capable of carrying much of anything in the way of space-based weaponry.

Here's a link to an article about the Prompt Global Strike program, it's not related to the X-37 but I thought it might interest you as some of the concepts could be seen as peripherally similar to the whole kinetic bombardment thing. :)

Hypersonic Cruise Missile: America's New Global Strike Weapon - Popularmechanics.com