Winter military training

jasonmarz930

Banned Member
I don't know exactly what country's military exercise is the most toughest but I guess Korea could be listed in top 10.

Yesterday, I watched the news about the winter training of Korean special forces. Their training was broadcasted in China too. It is said that They're going to train for 9 days in a tactical training facility and to learn how to survive in severe cold.

I was quite impressed when I saw that they dived into the river crashing the river ice and put the snow into their naked bodies briskly. They looked so enthusiastic.

Link : ktv
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA5yxS5Ccoo&feature=player_embedded#"][arirangToday]Winter Training at Special Warfare Command- 대한민국 최정예 부대 특전사 - YouTube[/nomedia]!

18zulu

I don't know exactly what country's military exercise is the most toughest but I guess Korea could be listed in top 10.

Yesterday, I watched the news about the winter training of Korean special forces. Their training was broadcasted in China too. It is said that They're going to train for 9 days in a tactical training facility and to learn how to survive in severe cold.

Korea is cold my friends even without the river,but Finland had the coldest training I ever saw. But you can add Alaska, Canada, and lets never forget Siberia for your list . Anyplace that can hit -40 C or F with any wind is a place I don't want to be at.

Have a good one

Last edited by a moderator:

sgtgunn

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro

I was quite impressed when I saw that they dived into the river crashing the river ice and put the snow into their naked bodies briskly. They looked so enthusiastic.
We have a saying the in US Army - "There is a fine line between Hard and Stupid". Diving into frozen rivers and rubbing snow onto naked bodies leaves that line receding in the rear view mirror. That is not serious cold weather training - that is either propaganda sillines or misguided macho hazing (or maybe both). I have a lot of respect for the ROK Armed Forces, but stuff like this is just silly.

Smart Cold Weather training involves learning how to operate in extreme cold, snow and ice through proper use of cold-weather equipment such as specialized clothing, skiis, snowshoes, sledges, etc.

You will not see and US military personnel (or any NATO personnel I suspect) induldging in any sort of pseduo-tough guy nonsense like that. If they did, thier Commanders would find themselves releived faster than you can say "Hypothermia".

Adrian

Marc 1

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The other thing it depends on is how well equipped the troopies are to deal with the climatic extremes. I'm sure that the Finnish armed forces are well equipped with down filled jackets, thermals and such. -40 Degrees to them is probably cold but bearable given that they are comparitively well equipped.

In the earliest deployments of Australian soldiers to the Korean war my old man, who served with many Korean war vets, told me that despite the extreme cold and snow most of the diggers in the trenches had what was known as a horse blanket and silk liner to sleep in. Picture a coarse thin green blanket and a liner (didn't feel like silk to me when I was issued mine in 1987). That was in place of a sleeping bag. Now I'm pretty sure it didn't get down to -40 degrees - but given the pathetic equipment our blokes had, it probably required tougher soldiers.

Then again there are times when gucci gear doesn't help...

At home when we were kids the old man had one of the down sleeping bags the yanks were issued with during the Korean war. It was a proper 'mummy bag' shape with a 3/4 zip running down the centre of the bag. To exclude draughts, there were 2 flaps that could be laced closed criss cross fashion all the way up the zip to the chin on the OUTSIDE of the sleeping bag. Early in the war, US soldiers would lace their comrades into the bags to keep nice and warm, with the duty gun picquet lacing in the last one. The idea being when it was time to change gun picquet the off going picquet would wake his relief and unlace the bag, the oncoming picquet would assist his mate getting into his bag, and lace him up. Occassionally there were terrible incidents were the enemy would either sneak through past the picquets or a night assault would begin with little warning and the soldiers trapped in their bags would be rolling arround unable to get out of their bags - aparently many were either shot or bayonetted in their bags completely helpless. There came an order thereafter that the bags were not to be laced up.

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was quite impressed when I saw that they dived into the river crashing the river ice and put the snow into their naked bodies briskly. They looked so enthusiastic!
You'd have to be very enthusiastic to briskly put snow into ones naked body. ;) Was this a group activity or did they just do it by oneself.

Lither

Freezing

You'd have to be very enthusiastic to briskly put snow into ones naked body. ;) Was this a group activity or did they just do it by oneself.
Trust me on this: you want to cover yourself in snow if you end up underwater in a lake that's been frozen over. It's a much more effective towel than you'd think, and if -40 C is the temp outside you want to get water off yourself as quickly as possible by any means you have.

You don't keep the snow on you, of course. You wipe yourself down with it.