Will Russia ever regain it's Military might?

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
Ka-50 Black Shark & Mi-28 Attack choppers, Topol M ICBM, The SU27's latest version seems rather modern to me, the aviation experts can correct me there. Tu-160 Blackjack Strategic Bomber its upgraded version will be a rather potent long range strike weapon. BTR-80, was built in the late 90's so could be considered modern, T-90 MBT thats name a few of the more modern systems I know of, plus the Navy has some new Patrol boats. Those are some off the top of my head:unknown The oldest entered service in the early 90's some are just coming online now, if modern is post cold war well, drop the SU 27 and the T160.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
@Francis

Russia does field some impressive weapons platforms both ground and air, I really do not know much of their naval capabilities.
Contrary to what some people on a another topic said in regards to their tanks, they can go toe to toe with any modern western tank.

Their biggest issue at the present moment is restructuring their armed forces to be capable of fighting into the 21st century, their isn`t much cohesion between their military branches.

With Russia entering into the Trade Union this will be a plus for them.
With Western Europe needing oil and natural gas this will be a plus also.

If you look at how much of Western Europe has disbanded some of their military capabilities, Russia has the time to rebuild its military to a level that will out match Western Europe in a matter of 10 to 15 years.
If you look at who Putin has extended the olive branch to you will notice that it isn`t to many Western countries, it`s still a lack of trust issue with him.

Francis

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
In it's current situation can Russia defend itself from foriegn attacks?

Last edited:

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
With their Nuke capability I would think so.

That relationship will be real interesting in another 5 years.
Exactly Deterrent still works in the Nation V Nation game. At the moment they are both playing nice China has a growing defense budget and ever increasing want for Hi-tech weapons and Russia has a hungery defense industry that wants orders.

Ths

Banned Member
Grand Danois: I agree they would benefit from reforms, but I don't think they will - far to controversional - and there is no danger of invasion, so ....

About boot-pressure: I know we don't see eye to eye on this. I see some footprints You don't see. Maybe I'm wrong; but I doubt it.

Ths

Banned Member
I think I made the point that all this enviromental talk in Europe has a great deal to do with gaining greater independence from oil.
At the moment Europe is ultimatly dependend on the USA. Europe has seen Russia use the oil weapon against others.

The long term Chinese versus Russia issue is that Russia is an oil exporter and China an oil importer. And the USA is alternately leaning on this seesaw.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The bad news are that the guy may have a nice time with his hot chicks but when he leaves the bunker he is going to see the biggest glass plate ever... ;)

Big-E

Banned Member
The bad news are that the guy may have a nice time with his hot chicks but when he leaves the bunker he is going to see the biggest glass plate ever... ;)
He can't leave his bunker, he must stay there until the radiation passes while he repropogates the species. It's a tough job but I'll do it. :p:

Ths

Banned Member
Big E: That is grand of You: Service above and beyond the call of duty - especially as the chap might be sterile.

Big-E

Banned Member
Big E: That is grand of You: Service above and beyond the call of duty - especially as the chap might be sterile.
Why would you think I would be sterile? I'm staying in my bunker with a dozen local hotties.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I think I made the point that all this enviromental talk in Europe has a great deal to do with gaining greater independence from oil.
At the moment Europe is ultimatly dependend on the USA. Europe has seen Russia use the oil weapon against others.

The long term Chinese versus Russia issue is that Russia is an oil exporter and China an oil importer. And the USA is alternately leaning on this seesaw.
For the size of China, don`t they have any oil deposits on land or coastal waters.

LancerMc

I know of the Spartly Islands. The islands are disputed between Taiwan, Vietnam, China, Malaysia, and the Philippines. There has been deep water tests, that have concluded there is great prospect for oil in and around the islands.

Note: All the nations have a small number of military forces on different islands.

source: CIA.gov