Why was this thread closed?

Mike_NZ

Hi moderators, but I'm a bit confused as to why this thread was closed:

http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=152024#post152024

I've read the rules, and they state that you should not post x vs y threads. But I haven't. I've simply asked people to express why they think a particular aircraft would be best in its respective role. If you're saying that's just going to come down to comparing aircraft against each other, then every single thread is like that. You compare stats, costs, what ever. That's what's interesting right? You've even stickied comparison charts!!

So my question is: why not?

Preceptor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The thread was closed while Moderators were discussing it. The thread in question was closed precisely because it would get into direct comparisons between different aircraft, from different manufacturers etc. Defence Talk has learned over the years to be wary with such topics and discussions. All too often, posters would argue the supposed "merits" of their particular favourite for a role/mission/aircraft with little or no knowledge of actual capabilities or employment, instead relying on questionable public data, nationalistic inclinations and emotional fervor. Hence the modification to the forum rules prohibiting discussions of this type.
-Preceptor

Mike_NZ

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Okay I understand

Okay thanks Preceptor. I get it. I've seen it happen lots too. Some can get really emotional over their favourite aircraft, and I can understand that. I was hoping that this would be a constructive discussion that would attract people with good knowledge to share with everyone else. My job is non-aviation related and I'm just interested in military aircraft and was hoping people in the industry could enlighten me.

Suppose I will have to try a different tact.

Preceptor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Okay thanks Preceptor. I get it. I've seen it happen lots too. Some can get really emotional over their favourite aircraft, and I can understand that. I was hoping that this would be a constructive discussion that would attract people with good knowledge to share with everyone else. My job is non-aviation related and I'm just interested in military aircraft and was hoping people in the industry could enlighten me.

Not a problem. What IMV be a better tactic would be to read up on the different roles you are interested in, therefore building up your knowledge on what the concensus is on executing a particular mission. With that, then you can look into what different aircraft will available to "bring to the table" when certain missions are required. It can be more time consuming, but will also provide a better knowledge base, in turn causing even better questions to come to mind.
-Preceptor

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

The problem is that people confuse training exercises results, what little is publicly available, propaganda, marketing material and internet rumor as fact and defend that position as suites their own beliefs.

ASFC

Apologies for going on about a different thread (but this seems as good a place as any to ask), but where has the Russia-Georgia Conflict thread gone in the GMD section?:confused:

Edit: Never mind, it seems to have reappeared after being deleted.

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Apologies for going on about a different thread (but this seems as good a place as any to ask), but where has the Russia-Georgia Conflict thread gone in the GMD section?:confused:
That was a mistake, thread is available again.

Rish

I guess this is the appropriate thread to ask. any idea when the indian army thread will be reopened?

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
I guess this is the appropriate thread to ask. any idea when the indian army thread will be reopened?
Hmm ... It is a trouble making thread. I'll put a word to the Moderators board to decide its fate.