Why does the Pakistani PIFV look so much like the Turkish Stretched

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
They're both remotely related to the M113, retaining the shape somewhat. And the PIFV is supposedly "inspired" by the Turkish ACV-300/AIFV (which itself is based on the M113), from which the ACV-S was directly developed.

rrrtx

There is a whole line of M113 derivatives which share similarities. A number of countries produce the IFV style units: Italy (VCC-1 - which is most similar to the Pakistani variant), Taiwan (CM-21), Korea (K200), Belgium (AIFV), and Turkey (TIFV and it's stretched version the ACV-S).

All are modeled after the AIFV which was an initial US effort to convert the faithful boxy little M113 into an infantry fighting vehicle with enhanced armor, the sloped sides, the ability of infantry to fire from within the crew compartment, and the addition of a turreted cannon in place of the .50 cal machine gun. If memory serves, they started working on it in the late 70's. I believe the original M113 got it start in the early 60's. The design sure has some staying power.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I believe the original M113 got it start in the early 60's.
Well, if you really want to get down to it, the M113 is somewhat related to the M75 and M59, design-wise. The older M75 was based on the T18, whose development started in 1946.
The first M113 was introduced in 1960, T113 development was late 50s.

rrrtx

Well, if you really want to get down to it, the M113 is somewhat related to the M75 and M59, design-wise. The older M75 was based on the T18, whose development started in 1946.
The first M113 was introduced in 1960, T113 development was late 50s.
That's right. The metal box on tracks concept started with the M59. I think the M59 was derived from the M26 light tank chassis and the M75 from the M41 light tank chassis.

meh

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys for the info but KOTO sorry to say your info is wrong the thing is that the PIFV prototype came out in 1991 while the Turkish IFV came out in 1998-2000 so this did not make any sence to me. Thanks anyway I will try to find more info on my own and see if there are any other links between the two IFVs.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
the PIFV prototype came out in 1991 while the Turkish IFV came out in 1998-2000 so this did not make any sence to me.
The Turkish original ACV-300 production started in 1991-1992 (not the ACV-300S sold to Malaysia, which is the ACV-S!). Turkey has had about 1700 of these for several years now, which would be a bit hard to build in less than 5 years.