Why did Japan attack Pearl Harbor?

Ozzy Blizzard

I don't doubt that it's possible that very strange things can happen, and that friendships are based strongly on self interest.

However, I would argue that Japan will not militarize easily. First, there is the obvious obstacle in public will, which as far as I can tell is still strongly anti-war, particularly against nuclear states. The right-wing nationalists have certainly done their best to make their voices heard (and the recent North Korean incident helped them somewhat), but they are still a minority by far.
I know this may seem like an odd thing to say but public opinion has little impact on long term geopolitical trends, which are without exception shaped by economic, demographic and geographical realities. The American public was dead set against Iraq and Vietnam for the majority of those conflicts, yet the US only withdrew when they either achieved their minimum strategic objectives or realized they were unattainable. In real terms public opinion does not dictate a nations foreign policy, national interest does.

Japan is already partially militarized, it has arguably the second best navy on the planet (only non US force to deploy SM3), and is already the most advanced regional power (on par with RoK).

Once Japan faces a real and significant threat from the old foe China, who is armed to the teeth, and with the Americans are dealing with a simultaneous confrontation with Russia in Poland and China in Taiwan and Japan: Japan will not be satisfied with US assurances and a paucity of assets with a 2 ton elephant on its doorstep. The Japanese will have no choice but to re arm. The US will aid the process as they will have to deal with two ascendant powers at once (luck for the US the Russians and Chinese are competitors).

By the way Japan is a defacto nuclear power, it has a "technological lead" on other regional powers, which is designed to allow Japan to field deliverable nuclear weapons before others in the region do (or if US extended deterrence suddenly fails). They have an extensive nuclear program and defacto ballistic missile capability with their space program. If it wasn't for the NNPT Japan would have become a nuclear power in the 1970's, no matter the public sentiment.

Second, it seems that for the most part, Japan is already getting what it wants politically. It has access to most of the resources that it needs, and has the US as a strong military ally against likely adversaries. This has come at the cost of some autonomy of course (such as the sacrificing of Okinawan interests, or shouldering much of the burden for the Gulf War), but overall I feel that most Japanese view the current arrangement positively.
Even right now it is not exactly. The JSDF is going through a quiet transition from a pure self defense force to a popper military. They have a significant power projection capability with their LHD's. As china rises they will not be able to rely on US assurances alone.

Now, if China is able to truly challenge US power in East Asia, then this may change - much of Japan's comfortable position is due to the United States, and if the US isn't the power that it is now, then it is possible that Japan would try to find an alternative. However, even in those circumstances I don't feel that war with the United States would be a desirable option, particularly from the Japanese perspective. Militarily, there's just a huge difference,and culturally it seems almost unthinkable, given the close relations established since WWII. (I acknowledge that there are real problems, but they don't seem to be worth fighting a war over, in the likes of WWII)
I think your viewing the 2040's or 2050's through the prism on 2010. The thought of China mounting a challenge to US power in the western pacific basin would have mode no seance in 1980. If anything PROC was would have been more likely to aid the US against the Russians.

Cultural ties between Japan and the US are week, no were near as strong as say the US/Australian relationship. Japan has modernized, it has westernized but it has not Americanized. The Japanese are still very much Japanese.

Japan will rearm in the face of resurgent China. But when china either brakes up or has a massive economic correction Japan will be the only major power left in the north western pacific. That in itself will not be a big deal for the US, but the fact is Japan is sitting on a demographic time bomb. it has a rapidly aging population and negative net birth rate. The economic consequences of an rapidly aging population and negative net birthrate are massive. Japan will not be able to handle this in the same manner as the US, Canada or Australia, through migration. Japanese society is not suited for large scale influx of non Japanese citizens. So they will need labor, big time, and they will be able to get it in China (which will be reeling from the economic correction that sure as day is coming) and South East Asia. All this will increase Japanese power in the western pacific, which the Americans will be suspicious of. The US will not tolerate a major maritime power in the pacific that is a threat to us Naval domination, so the US will move to contain the Japanese with alliances in china and south east Asia (just like in the 1920's and 30's) which the Japanese will see as a aggressive and an attempt to strangle Japan. This all sounds familiar doent it?

When japan starts acting like a proper nation again, and no one can honestly assume the current situation can continue indefinably, the US/Japanese rivalry will reappear, simply because the US see's naval domination of the pacific (and the world) is vital to its long term prosperity, and Japan needs regional hegemony to ensure its long term prosperity (it needs labor). They are two diametrically opposed requirements.

The truth is ideology has little to do with conflict, geography has a much greater impact.

Ozzy Blizzard

In the US japaneese relationship. One can't draw comparisons between the 20ties and 30ties and today.

In the 20ties and 30ties much of the problem vis a vis Japan was it's (rightfull) claim to be considered and treated like a first world nation and then the US reluctance or rather refusal to do that.

That made Japan abandom it's "Do like britain" policy and try to establish her own independent position(which included territorial ambitions on the chineese mainland - something that Japan did ofcourse not have a right to, but after all the americans and Europeans had served themselves well at that table for a couple of 100s years)

To day Japan is integrated into the world economy on an equal footing and it's regarded as a prime first world nation. And if anything the US wants Japan to arm and not disarm like in the 20ties.
This was the problem with Germany, but not fundamentally with Japan. Although Japan certainly felt slighted by the west this was not as consequential as the convergence of US and Japanese strategic interest in the western pacific. Even if Japan had a rightful claim to be treated fairly by the west, this was immaterial to the Americans. Simply they could not allow a major maritime power based in the pacific to challenge the US, and Japanese hegemony over china was simply unacceptable. The war between Japan and the US had been brewing since Japan industrialized in the mid to late 1800's, and the USN had been planing for it since the battle of Tsushima.

Economic integration into a wider system is no form of conflict prevention. Prior to WW1 the European powers were so economically interdependent that some claimed war was impossible because of the financial damage it would cause.

In 30 years the US and Japan will not be in conflict because of Japans "rightful place" as a hegemonic power in the far east. The reality is the short term politics of the relationship are meaningless. Japan and the US did not go to war because the japan felt it wanted to stand along side the European powers and feel good about itself. It was fought because national strategic interest's converged, and those strategic interest's were determined by certain geopolitical realities, those realities still stand today. Take away a great and powerful friend/overlord and Japan will be at the mercy of western powers without hegemonic control of its region and a powerful navy; both are totally unacceptable to the US. And as Japan rearms (with US help) to counter China, and the Chinese threat disintegrates, the US Japanese relationship will dissolve over a period of 15 years. Once that happens the underlying competition will become apparent once again.

Its the same reasons the Russians and the west are headed for another cold war/confrontation, even though the politics and economics are totally different.

Palnatoke

Banned Member
Ozzy Blizzard

I think that it's fair to say that US influence in the eastern pacific has eclipsed and will continue to fade.

The US will increasingly rely on regional powers and they on the US to contain China.

There is 1.4Bn chineese. When these people reach an average wealth (measured in real GDP per capita) of about a fourth of an american, China will be a larger economy than the US.

"Money is the sinews of war".

Palnatoke

Banned Member
Even if Japan had a rightful claim to be treated fairly by the west, this was immaterial to the Americans. Simply they could not allow a major maritime power based in the pacific to challenge the US
Well, the US had little problems with accepting the UK with equal strength in the pacific, while Japan was forced to accept a navial presence in it's, by default, homewaters of a relative strength as the french who btw regarded the area as secondary to french interests, and clearly inferior to either the US or UK as a result of the London and Washington treaties. But yes, one can say that it was unacceptable for the US to allow some asians to rival them, in an area that the US saw as it's cheif area of expansion, while the French and the UK was simply powerfull nations that one had to deal with, and not just cite some homemade doctrine that stated that "we own/control/influence that and this"

and Japanese hegemony over china was simply unacceptable
Yes, because China was to be raped by westerners only.
Though the japaneese attacks on China proper as well as the earlier attack on Manchuria came after (and as a result of) the point where Japan (or rather millitary-political circles) realized that Japan had to fend for it self against the US (and by necessity against the Europeans) and could not follow the anglophone policy, that it has pursued since the Mejin periode.

It was fought because national strategic interest's converged, and those strategic interest's were determined by certain geopolitical realities, those realities still stand today.
I disagree with "those realities still stand today.". In feudal system a country can only prosper through war, since prosperity is equal to land, which is a limited commodity. In a capitalistic system prosperity of one country has as a necessity that other rival countries also prosper, which kind of renders war for conquest and gains old fachioned and pointless.
The problem of the 30ties were that perhaps the economy was capitalistic (except USSR) but the mindset of the political decession makers was feudal (perhaps america in the least degree).
If the above (competion for ressources) is the first (and now obsolete, given our economical system) reason for war, The cold war was an example of the second arch type of war: Religious/ideological war, this is the last type of war which is "modern".

I see no, what so ever, fault lines between Japan and the US, instead I see a complete (and aware) inter-dependence. In regard to China there is a potential for "religious/ideological war" given the facistic nature of the chinese system and the democratic nature of "the west" (which includes japan). We will see - one thing is given, right now there are happening strong fluctations in the geopolitical realities of the east, such stuff is known to cause instabillity.... Ofcourse by "war" I mean "Cold war", two large powers will never go hot on each other (you know: E=MC^2).

Last edited:

Ozzy Blizzard

Ozzy Blizzard

I think that it's fair to say that US influence in the eastern pacific has eclipsed and will continue to fade.

The US will increasingly rely on regional powers and they on the US to contain China.

There is 1.4Bn chineese. When these people reach an average wealth (measured in real GDP per capita) of about a fourth of an american, China will be a larger economy than the US.

"Money is the sinews of war".
I think you fundamentally misunderstand the what constitutes national power, and what has driven Chinese growth. China is a fundamentally weak nation, there are massive regional imbalances in the distribution of wealth and huge social issues laying just under the surface. China has been opened up to international trade before after the opium wars in the mid 1800's. What ensued was a massive economic boom in the coastal areas which lead to a massive regional disparity in the distribution of wealth, which in turn lead to the fragmentation of the nation. This has all happened before.

The current Chinese growth model is inherently unsustainable, just as the Japanese in the 1990's(in the 1970's everyone was sure the Japanese would have the largest economy on earth) and Asian tiger's in the early 2000, driven by artificially low costs of labor and easy credit given out on the basis of personal relationship's rather than good business practice. The remarkable thing about China is its like Japan or Malaysia on steroids. Over half of current Chinese growth is driven by loans made by the state to individuals, and you can only get one of these loans unless you are a member of the communist party or are connected (not sound business practice), which means thousands of unviable commercial ventures have been funded because of personal connections. To put it simply Chinese growth is based on fundamental economic weakness rather than strength. A massive correction is coming, and when it does Bejings ability to contain the massive centrifugal forces from tearing the nation apart once again will be severely tested.

Earlier this decade for the first time trans pacific trade surpassed trans Atlantic trade. This is evidence of something we all know, that the US is the center of the world trade system (which has been shifting away from Europe over the last 50 years). This means the US will continue to be the worlds best performing economy for at least the rest of the century. All financial and logistical roads lead to Washington, and that's not going to change any time soon (i.e. opposed to china the US is fundamentally strong). Add to that the US's ability to dominate the worlds oceans and Washington dominates world trade, even trans Indian trade is conducted under the eye of the USN. Don't fool yourself, the US's dominant position isn't going to change any time soon.

Last edited:

Palnatoke

Banned Member
Ozzy

I agree with you that China got future problems, but my point is that China doesn't have to do very well on average to become a massive economical superpower.

Personally I don't fear for the cohesion of China, but you are right that there are challenges ahead. One obvious is the political system.

Earlier this decade for the first time trans pacific trade surpassed trans Atlantic trade
I thought that was americans buying stuff in Walmart, produced in China, bought for money they loaned, which AIG inssured. Loans that happy fools around the world bought, loans which made AIG go down on their knees but Obama fired up the printing press to see if monetarian theory really holds - which will be interesting to behold.
but I can be wrong.

All financial and logistical roads lead to Washington, and that's not going to change any time soon (i.e. opposed to china the US is fundamentally strong). Add to that the US's ability to dominate the worlds oceans and Washington dominates world trade, even trans Indian trade is conducted under the eye of the USN. Don't fool yourself, the US's dominant position isn't going to change any time soon.
Economically the US does not hold a "dominant position" as we speak, so I don't really understand what you mean. The US is a large and important economy, but it's not dominant. And the future outlook is not that the US will relatively strengthen it's economical size. Let's quess that In 25 years the US willl have around 12% of world GDP.

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
Economically the US does not hold a "dominant position" as we speak, so I don't really understand what you mean. The US is a large and important economy, but it's not dominant. And the future outlook is not that the US will relatively strengthen it's economical size. Let's quess that In 25 years the US willl have around 12% of world GDP.
Correct me if i am wrong, but two examples i can think of are that China has passed the US as Australia's biggest trading partner, China is the US's biggest trading partner (not sure on that). If this situation is true for more countries, then the economic influence of the chinese in these countries is greater then that of the US.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Correct me if i am wrong, but two examples i can think of are that China has passed the US as Australia's biggest trading partner, China is the US's biggest trading partner (not sure on that). If this situation is true for more countries, then the economic influence of the chinese in these countries is greater then that of the US.
I chose not to comment on the various opinions offered on China in this thread - as I am confused about how to read China. However, please see the data provided by the US-China Business Council on China's top 10 trade partners in 2008.

Table 7: China's Top Trade Partners 2008
Source: PRC General Administration of Customs, China's Customs Statistics

Country (Volume - $ billion)
1. United States (333.7)
2. Japan (266.8)
3. Hong Kong (203.7)
4. South Korea (186.1)
5. Taiwan (129.2)
6. Germany (115.0)
7. Australia (59.7)
8. Russia (56.8)
9. Malaysia (53.5)
10. Singapore (52.4)​

Last edited:

swerve

Super Moderator
US trade 2008, $bn
Imports from/Exports to
(EU - 368/275)
China - 338/71.5
Canada - 336/261
Mexico - 216/151
Japan - 139/67
Germany - 98/54

Australia - 11/23

Australia - AUD bn, 2007, total of imports & exports -
China - 58.0
Japan - 54.5
USA - 47.7

Palnatoke

Banned Member
Well in 2007:

EU good exports to the US in 2007: €260 billion
EU goods imports from the US in 2007: €180 billion

EU goods exports to China 2007: €71.6 billion
EU goods imports from China 2007: €230.8 billion

Ozzy Blizzard

Well, the US had little problems with accepting the UK with equal strength in the pacific, while Japan was forced to accept a navial presence in it's, by default, homewaters of a relative strength as the french who btw regarded the area as secondary to french interests, and clearly inferior to either the US or UK as a result of the London and Washington treaties. But yes, one can say that it was unacceptable for the US to allow some asians to rival them, in an area that the US saw as it's cheif area of expansion, while the French and the UK was simply powerfull nations that one had to deal with, and not just cite some homemade doctrine that stated that "we own/control/influence that and this"
They didn't. AFAIK the UK was NEVER (by that I mean post 1850) present in the pacific in as much strength as the US when the US was in a position to do something about it. When the two were comparable the US viewed them as a significant strategic competitor. In 1908 the USN’s “Great White Fleet” came to visit Australia, and even though they were met with crowds of hundreds of thousands of waving Australians, the fleet commander ordered his men to survey the port defenses, simply because the US saw a war with the UK and her ally Japan as likely.

You need to take off the ideological glasses colored by the "morally corrupt westerners" notion. You think the western powers are the only ones who have exploited others throughout history? How come the UK allied with the "subhuman" Japanese in order to take German and Chinese possessions in WW1 if no western power could tolerate an Asian peer? Or is it just the US that can’t see their own national interest through the thick cloud of their pervasive racism? Give me a break. Long term foreign policy trends are not driven by ideology; they are driven by strategic objectives and national interest. You think the western allies fought world war two to stop Nazism? Not a chance in hell. They fought because neither could allow a European power to achieve hegemony over the European land mass. If that happened, said hegemonic power could concentrate vast resources on naval technological advance and construction, and the allies naval dominance would be threatened. To the UK that meant their national survival would be at stake. It didn't matter if it was the Germans, Russians or the French. You think the Germans fought WW2 because of the Nazi's? Nope, WW2 was a continuation of a conflict that began with the unification of Germany and the Franco Prussian war. The western powers did what they could to limit Japanese power after WW1 not because they were racially motivated (although without doubt some of the individual’s were), they did because they saw Japan as a potential threat that had to be contained. They still would have viewed Japan in that light if the Japanese fleet was crewed with white haired blue eyed Aryans. Remember they treated the Germans the same way.

The US isn’t going to tolerate any challenger to its naval dominance and in the early 20th century its major competitor in the pacific basin was Japan. If it was the UK then the US would have fought to challenge or contain the Royal Navy. But in reality throughout the 20th century Britain was a declining power, and she was constantly engaged in massive European struggles and unable to concentrate enough power to realistically challenge US naval dominance in the Pacific. So the reason the US took such stringent actions to strangle Japanese naval power was (1) it had the ability to do so (it didn’t with the UK) (2) Japan had the potential to be a much larger threat than the UK (the UK was a declining power rather than an ascending power, forget about the French). Even as allies in WW2 the US took actions to limit the UK’s naval capability and remove it from the list of potential naval competitors; through the lend lease program the US demanded all the most advantageous Atlantic bases under the UK’s possession. The UK handed the US the keys to the Atlantic, and from that point on US naval domination of the worlds most trafficked ocean was assured. Allies or not the US, like any nation, will act in a manner that allows it to achieve its strategic goals.

Yes, because China was to be raped by westerners only.

If you take the emotive "white devil" ideology out of your analysis (or at least put it in perspective) you will see things much more clearly. I do not doubt that racism existed (or was prevalent) but you’re claiming that it was the driving force behind US foreign policy, which is a ludicrous notion. Any nation would ally with their worst enemy if it allowed them to achieve their strategic goals.

Though the japaneese attacks on China proper as well as the earlier attack on Manchuria came after (and as a result of) the point where Japan (or rather millitary-political circles) realized that Japan had to fend for it self against the US (and by necessity against the Europeans) and could not follow the anglophone policy, that it has pursued since the Mejin periode.
Yes, exactly! Japans aggressive moves were internally seen as defensive. Even Japans pacific drive would have been seen as a measure to protect her from US aggression and to ensure Japanese resource flows which were being used as a weapon against her. Where I think your going wrong is thinking that only Japan was acting defensively. The rapid Japanese military buildup, and military expansion in Korea, Manchuria and China was seen by the US as extremely aggressive, and the various moves Washington took to contain and constrict Japan were seen as purely defensive and a reaction to the militaristic Japanese. Clearly both sides could claim that the “militaristic, evil, feudal Japanese regime” or “racist, imperialist, hypocritical US invaders” were the aggressors, but in reality both nations were simply acting in their own interest, trying to preserve or further their strategic goals and protect their position in the region. Rome and Carthage both acted defensively during the Punic wars even though both powers invaded the others heartland.

I disagree with "those realities still stand today.". In feudal system a country can only prosper through war, since prosperity is equal to land, which is a limited commodity. In a capitalistic system prosperity of one country has as a necessity that other rival countries also prosper, which kind of renders war for conquest and gains old fachioned and pointless.
The problem of the 30ties were that perhaps the economy was capitalistic (except USSR) but the mindset of the political decession makers was feudal (perhaps america in the least degree).
If the above (competion for ressources) is the first (and now obsolete, given our economical system) reason for war, The cold war was an example of the second arch type of war: Religious/ideological war, this is the last type of war which is "modern".
Why is it that people think capitalism somehow prevents conflict from occurring simply because economic growth is to some extent mutually beneficial (its not always politically beneficial for your competitors to be expanding economically)? Pre 1914 Germany used masses of UK capital to fund nation building projects: European capital markets were massively intertwined and any disruption would have cost the various European powers dearly in economic terms. That did nothing to stop WW1 when those powers saw their vital interest at stake.

It wasn’t competition for resources that fundamentally drove the pacific war; that is a clear misunderstanding of the nature of the conflict. The US was a net exporter or resources; it had no need for South East Asian oil. Washington simply used one of its available levers to pressure Tokyo (its economic control over critical resource flows to Japan) in order to contain a potential geopolitical threat. Recourses were a tool not a cause.

The conflict was not driven by the economic system, the model of government or the prevailing ideology of either power either. Those things are usually the reasons governments use to justify conflict driven by deeper geopolitical trends. It wasn’t even driven by a “war of conquest”, feudal style (although feudal wars were usually succession related rather than purely “wars of conquest”). This is pretty clearly illustrated by the apparently ideologically driven “cold war”. Well even though old fashioned communism is as dead as the dodo we are headed for another confrontation along the same lines with the same protagonists. Geography, demographics and economics (Geopolitics) determine a nations’ foreign policy and usually who their friends and enemies are.

Practically all conflict is geopolitical in nature at a fundamental level, the ideology or quest for resources or religion is usually just the catalyst. Even the US jihadist war is not really religious fundamentally; it’s an attempt by the jihadists to stem the demographic changes that are happening in their parent societies and eroding the established power base, due to passive western influence and industrialization. Religion is just the enabler. Wars are not fought for recourses alone, but domination of resources as a way to gain leverage over an opponent, look at the way Russia leverages its domination over central and Eastern Europe’s energy supplies.

The fundamentals of war have not changed since its inception, only the way it is conducted. Truly the cold war would have been instantly understandable to a Roman strategist: Rome was more than used to such conflicts. The Jihadist war would also be very familiar (much akin to the Jewish rebellion, which although appeared to be religious in nature was actually geopolitical). The only thing “modern” about modern wars is the technology and tactics used to wage them. Dividing warfare into “feudal” wars of conquest to secure resources and “ideological/religious” modern conflicts is simply a false distinction in my opinion, as neither are the fundamental drivers of most conflicts, only the catalysts.

I see no, what so ever, fault lines between Japan and the US, instead I see a complete (and aware) inter-dependence.
That’s because you are looking at this from an ideological/political standpoint. i.e. How can two modern, western, capitalist and economically connected allies ever end up in strategic competition again?

The current interdependence is purely political and military, economic interdependence is really only as connected as most other first world nations are to each other (and the American uber-market), and that political and military interdependence only exist as long as there is a significant mutual threat in North East Asia. First it was the Soviet Union, now it’s China. Once the Chinese threat disintegrates the foundations of that political and military interdependence will disintegrate too. Once the Chinese threat is gone, the US will be facing what it always fears, an advanced, dynamic and competent naval power in the pacific basin which is a significant threat to US naval dominance in the region. And Japan isn’t as easy to contain a China (Chinese Geography means its naval approaches are surrounded by US allied nations: Japan, RoK, Taiwan, The Philippines and Singapore. Chinese geography effectively contains itself on land). The Japanese will expand regionally, if not by overt military action then through political and economic hegemonic expansion. They have too; Japan is facing massive demographic issues that can not be fixed in the same manner as the “frontier” nations (Aus, US, Can, NZ) and most European societies (through migration). As Japan expands throughout the region, and she must in order to protect her economic prosperity and long term viability, Japanese interests will not only diverge from the US, they will collide. The US will resist any rising power that reaches a critical mass and is not under hegemonic control. When Japan starts acting unilaterally to address its demographic issues it will no longer be under US hegemonic domination, and it will be a significant naval power.

It has little to do with economic systems, ideology or party politics, and everything to do with long term strategic needs, geographical realities and economic and demographic trends.

As an example of what I’m trying to illustrate I’ll use Australia. Why was Australia so closely aligned to Britain in the first half of the 20th century? You might argue it was the cultural ties that bound the two nations together (most Australian’s considered themselves British at the time) or their economic interdependence (the UK was Australia’s primary market for exports) or perhaps the extremely similar systems of government, or maybe the fact that Australia’s security lay with the Royal Navy. I would argue that it was purely because it was in Australia’s national interest to be aligned with Britain, because London was both the destination for most Australian exports and the dominant naval power in South East Asia. However none of those things stopped Australia from aligning with the US and not the UK in a matter of weeks when the military reality changed. The US was now the dominant naval power in the Pacific and Australia would be aligned with her, even if it went against cultural ties and economic interest (the US was an economic competitor). Almost overnight a seemingly inseparable relationship between the UK and Australia dissolved, and although the two remained friendly the level of political and military interdependence steadily evaporated. This was all because the geopolitical reality shifted and although the two nations remained culturally very close, it was no longer in Australia’s interest to be aligned with the UK (and it has to be said the other way around as well).

Just because the US and Japanese interests converge now doesn’t mean they wont quickly diverge and even collide in the not too distant future.

In regard to China there is a potential for "religious/ideological war" given the facistic nature of the chinese system and the democratic nature of "the west" (which includes japan). We will see - one thing is given, right now there are happening strong fluctations in the geopolitical realities of the east, such stuff is known to cause instabillity.... Ofcourse by "war" I mean "Cold war", two large powers will never go hot on each other (you know: E=MC^2).
Sorry I should probably clarify as well: By conflict I don’t mean 1942 style total war where one society throws itself against another. By conflict I mean cold war, with the possibility of a limited, conventional conflict to establish dominance.

Again I disagree that religion or ideology would be the foundation for any war or conflict with China. The system of government is basically inconsequential (good for morale though, you know “lets kill the commies/imperialists” ect). The fact is the rise of China’s military and her hegemonic ambitions threatens the established security order in the western Pacific, just like the rise of Germany destabilized the European order in the late 1800’s. WW1 had nothing to do with religion or ideology or political systems, and everything to do with geography, demographics and economics. The established security order will resist the destabilizing force, through containment and confrontation. If said destabilizing force is strong enough they will all come to blows, but in this case I don’t believe China is.

It doesn’t take long for former allies to become enemies, as soon as their strategic interests are no longer aligned there is the potential for strategic competition, and in that environment distrust can build quickly. Look at how rapidly the Japanese and British went from allies to dreaded enemies, barely 20 years, simply because their strategic objectives, driven by forces outside of either of their control, converged. It won’t take much for former allies to turn to competitors in the western pacific once again.

A.Mookerjee

Banned Member
War is a means to end conflict, which refuses to end by other means. The Japanese and the U S governments were unable to trust one another, which is the basis of a diplomatic relationship. In fact, there was a deep mistrust, due to historical reasons and facts. The Japanese were the paramount economic power in Asia, because Japan was an industrialized nation. Japan was a major foe, during the Second World War, not mainly because of ideology, but because she could not control her own increasing industrialization, or at least her politicians held this view. Or to put it plainly, because Japan was the only, or by far, the main industrialized power in Asia, was the reason of her being such a threat to the United States, and some nations of Europe. Japan saw Great Britain and other European powers maintain colonies in Asia, and Japan was not seen in good light, because she wanted to maintain colonies in Asia, by the United States.

Palnatoke

Banned Member
OB

Thanks for the long reply, I'll reply a little bit bit wise; firstly:

We don't have to discuss the relativ Naval strength levels, you can look them up. See f.ex. the London and Washington naval treaties (those are from early 20ties and early 30ties if I remember correctly). You will see that the UK and US agreed to have the same relativ strength level in the pacific - and being the strongest of the lot. Both of these treaties are important vis a vis Japan, since they inccoured a fundamental loss of confidence of Japan in the UK. The treaties also reflect one thing that I think you misses. While Japan was a power on the rise in the pacific in the first half of the 20th century, the primary power on the rise in that area was the US. After WW1 the US does for the first time, politely and diplomatic, challenge the british supremacy of the seas, the above naval treaties are concrete examples of that (particularely the last). For Japan that presented a problem, Japans fundamental foreign and security policy was a strong anglophone policy ("do what britain does") , which was based on the fact that Britain ruled the seas. But with the establishment of the US as an equal or during the late 20ties and early 30ties perhaps even stronger power in the pacific, a power cabale of strong arming british policy away from it's Japan friendly line into a more neutral stance, which so to speak rendered Japan's long standing security policy into a free fall.

While I don't wish to discuss racismn, it's, in an analysis of this type, weird to ignore a pre-ww2 world order of the white man as master and other "races" (a common word of the time, rendered old fachioned only by the nazi "excesses") as servants. Japan was the (only) exception from the Rule (give or take a couple of areas in Africa, inhabbitted by "savage heathens").

I also think that, going into details, you misrepresent the economical motives of Japan's expansion in the greater China area. It was not first and foremost about ressources, but about access to export markets. Japan was a primary exporter and during the reccession the western countries closed off their markets (which, through their colonies, equaled the greater part of the world). Later on when war is brewing the Japaneese weakness of not controling essential strategic ressources becomes more quiding in Japaneese expansion policy, but that is a couple of steps down the road.

I btw stand by my ideas of the irational of war of conquest in a capitalistic economy, you can say that exactly Japan provides a counter example to that (I don't agree that WW1 does that) but I reply that, that is because the decession makers of the time did not understand capitalismn as well as we do to day.

I am not trying to excuse Japan, she made herself quilty in the most henious crimes and by the 30ties the world no longer accepted continued colonial expansion. Though other parties, including the good guys, also made their fair contribution to the disaster.

Firn

First of all you wrote an interesting piece with much thought in it, Ozzy. I will write a critique later.

Palnatoke

Banned Member
Practically all conflict is geopolitical in nature at a fundamental level, the ideology or quest for resources or religion is usually just the catalyst. Even the US jihadist war is not really religious fundamentally; it’s an attempt by the jihadists to stem the demographic changes that are happening in their parent societies and eroding the established power base, due to passive western influence and industrialization. Religion is just the enabler. Wars are not fought for recourses alone, but domination of resources as a way to gain leverage over an opponent, look at the way Russia leverages its domination over central and Eastern Europe’s energy supplies.
Much depends on what one puts in the word: "Geopolitical"...

Even the US jihadist war is not really religious fundamentally; it’s an attempt by the jihadists to stem the demographic changes that are happening in their parent societies and eroding the established power base, due to passive western influence and industrialization. Religion is just the enabler.
In my line of thinking, what you write above is "same-same". For me religious war or ideological war is the same. Whether you get killed for not abiding the pope or not abiding to the party line, is the same. There is, in this respect, no real difference whether your holy book is the bible, the Quran, Das Kapital or the wealth of nations.

The above jihadists wage war, a procaimed religious war, because on a ideological level they disagree with the west and feel threathen by an invasive western culture. That is what I call a religious/ideological war. I mean, let's give people the respect of believing that they mean what they say.

I think we agree that far, that "Self interest" is a guiding principle for rational countries. I am trying to make the argument that it is never in a capitalistic economy's self interest to engage in a destructive war. It's obvious that the inflicted damage is not "self interest", but more so no capitalistic economy can expect to benefit, economical, from the demise of another economy. Is this a fool proof method to avoid war? - no, Iraq be an example of irrational decission making, WW1, WW2 other examples of (highly) irrational decissions. I would agree with you, if the instant geopolitical situation is the sum of "self interests", though I do not believe that there are constant geopolitical factors.

look at the way Russia leverages its domination over central and Eastern Europe’s energy supplies
Well, there is no domination. Russia gives a very good deal away to germans and others, besides money in return they also get to be treated on an equal footing. Now some people would like to see a german iron boot down the throath of the russian bear, though that would be unwise, in my oppinion. And I think that russia, are demonstrating that energy is only a carrot for turning a blind eye when Putin does stuff his way in Chechnia and Georgia. If you like the instant geopolitical situation is that Russia is a country that europeans has to deal with - carefully. And we should remember that while the gass has a source, it also needs a destination, and in the opposite direction there is a cash flow, that russian economy is very much dependent on.

feudal style (although feudal wars were usually succession related rather than purely “wars of conquest”).
My point about "feudal" is economic. In a model feudal system, when it comes down to it, the economy and hence power is thought to be strongly connected to the primary production means (agriculture). So when two feudal economies compete, they can only do so by the demise of the other (since they fight over ownership of land) which typically requires the use of force, and hence "war". [disclaimer: I don't like the notion of "feudalismn", and would rather talk of patron-client chains, though feudalismn is a well establish concept, for our use]

Which leads me to
Why is it that people think capitalism somehow prevents conflict from occurring simply because economic growth is to some extent mutually beneficial
Well, no matter what there is an mutual advantage in trade. If you trade with me, and it doesn't matter whether I am better and richer or worse and poorer than you, you (and I) have an advantage, if you destroy me you can't have that advantage (obviously I am also at a disadvantage in that scenario). But as I said above eventhough it's rationel it doesn't prevent war. Though coupled with stuff like MAD, we assure that the policy makers are consistently kept to the fire of rationality.

I apologize if I sometimes should have an agressive tune, it's not intended, but I am manouvering on a different lanquage than my own.

AussiemansB

Wrong Information guys....

There are a number of reasons why Japan attacked the US at Harbour. Yes, its correct that under the US 'Neutrality Acts' that some Japanese goods and resources provided by the US were boycotted. However key resources to the development of ships and other utilies in regards to the war, such as iron and OIL etc. were infact excluded in these embargos. Also under later 'Neutrality Acts' the US puts an embargo on all trade between the US and Japan. However the catch was that the Japanese could still trade goods if they transported and moved the goods themselves. In addition Roosevelts Lend Lease policy states that the US is permitted to trade with any nation that is benefical to the country. Clearly these embargoes were not the main contribution to the bombing of PH.

What is more plausable is that the Japanese that continuing their expansonist campaign that it was only a matter of time until the US entered the war. The Japanese knew of the relations and discussions between Roosevelt and Churchill, an they therefore decided to get the upperhand on the military giant US by taking out their entire Pacific Fleet while they still had the element of surprise. :nutkick

Affective, Yet the Japanese not only failed to estimate how fast the US could rebuild their naval force. But they targeted at the wrong time of day as the many Vesiles and Airplanes were not their at the time. :nutkick

Dumb!

In addition the Japanese's rejection of the UN and victimisation under the US immigration act, made the Japanese :lul.

I hope this info was helpful guys

:D

Tams

Great forums you have here. Didn't know much about this subject but liked reading your comments, cheers.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
What If Japanese Did Not Attack Pearl Harbour

Not Trying to resurect a rather old thread (few months old not an ancient anyway yet :D), but last week end when doing some house cleaning, found an old article clipping (from Newsweek if i'm not mistaken) commemorative 50 years of end WW2 (that's 1995 article so that's really ancient)..

Anyway the articles put some issues on difficulties by Rossevelt to commit US in WW 2, due to reluctance on some part of US populations on commiting US troops on what they see as european issues. Infact that relluctancies also included the unwillingness to involved in Asia in case that Japanese attacking European collonies in Asia.

That idea on not involve with other people collonies makes me wonder, is there reasonable ground for that point of view ??
Will US standing by if Japanese decided not to attack Pearl Harbour, by passing Philipines, and directly goes to Malaya and Dutch East Indies ??
Will US fight for British & Dutch collonies ??

And foremost, will Rossevelt be able to bring US invovement on WW 2 if no Pearl Harbour attack ? Will US public feel that outrage and have that overwhelmingly support for US Involvement ?? Will the mighthy US war machines will be turn up full scale on supporting the British, Russia and what's left of free allies ??

We know that by 1941 the US involvement in supporting the British and Russia are already quite significant that many believe it's just matter of time and findding the right excusse.
The excusse came with Pearl Harbour and Hitler decelerations of war in supporting the Japan war effort (which the Japanese did not returned full by not declaring war with Russia).

Just wandering what it willl be turned out, if somehow Japanese and Nazi able to skip US involvement for say another year (until end 1942). What if the US war machines will join late in war procurement and producing capabilities for another year.
Will German cement their hold in European continent, North Africa, and pacified Russia ??
Will Japan still want to atack US if they manage to hold South East Asia outside Philipines ??

I though it's just intriguing scenarios

teldan09

Not Trying to resurect a rather old thread (few months old not an ancient anyway yet :D), but last week end when doing some house cleaning, found an old article clipping (from Newsweek if i'm not mistaken) commemorative 50 years of end WW2 (that's 1995 article so that's really ancient)..

Anyway the articles put some issues on difficulties by Rossevelt to commit US in WW 2, due to reluctance on some part of US populations on commiting US troops on what they see as european issues. Infact that relluctancies also included the unwillingness to involved in Asia in case that Japanese attacking European collonies in Asia.

That idea on not involve with other people collonies makes me wonder, is there reasonable ground for that point of view ??
Will US standing by if Japanese decided not to attack Pearl Harbour, by passing Philipines, and directly goes to Malaya and Dutch East Indies ??
Will US fight for British & Dutch collonies ??

And foremost, will Rossevelt be able to bring US invovement on WW 2 if no Pearl Harbour attack ? Will US public feel that outrage and have that overwhelmingly support for US Involvement ?? Will the mighthy US war machines will be turn up full scale on supporting the British, Russia and what's left of free allies ??

We know that by 1941 the US involvement in supporting the British and Russia are already quite significant that many believe it's just matter of time and findding the right excusse.
The excusse came with Pearl Harbour and Hitler decelerations of war in supporting the Japan war effort (which the Japanese did not returned full by not declaring war with Russia).

Just wandering what it willl be turned out, if somehow Japanese and Nazi able to skip US involvement for say another year (until end 1942). What if the US war machines will join late in war procurement and producing capabilities for another year.
Will German cement their hold in European continent, North Africa, and pacified Russia ??
Will Japan still want to atack US if they manage to hold South East Asia outside Philipines ??

I though it's just intriguing scenarios
just reminds me this..

US in Favour of Japan"s Military Bill

"US in Favour of Japan"s Military Bill"

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The US and Japan would have gone to war without Pearl Harbor, how far away that really was from happening we will never know for sure. The same can be said with Germany. I am convinced that a delay of 1 year would have resulted in the same outcomes mostly due to the fact that I don't believe the Axis were capable of a conditional peace, not in terms that would be accepted by the Allies anyway.

I think we should also consider time lines. In the Pacific, the Battle at Midway (June 1942, just 6 months following Pearl Harbor) sealed the fate for Japan.

6 months later the Germans faced their debacle at Stalingrad where the Russians destroyed/captured the entire 6th Army. In the summer of 1943 Kursk sealed the fate of the Germans. It's arguable that Kursk was yet undecided when Hitler pulled away 2 panzer divisions (I may not be accurate) in response to Allied landings in Sicily.

Also reallize that US ground troops didn't get started (europe) until Operation Torch in late 1942 (French North Africa) and they didn't do that good in what was essentially the sideshow to the war in Euorpe.

I believe the involvement of the US in both theaters was as inevitable as the defeat of the Axis. There are many reasons for this but simply put, the Axis countries did not have the resources to wage war with Russia or the US, and Germany lacked the sea power and air power to ever invade Britain. Their best hope was to sue for peace with the British and deal with them after the fall of Russia which of course didn't happen.