Why can Eurofighter supercruise on 40000 pounds of thrust

sunjerem

I thought Eurofighter's two EJ-200 engines generate 30000 pounds of thrust each for a combined 70000 pounds of thrust. I just found out the EJ-200 only generates 20000 pounds of thrust giving Eurofighter a total of 40000 pounds of thrust. F/A-18E Super Hornet's engines generate more than 20000 pounds of thrust each for a total of more than 40000 pounds. So, how come Eurofighter can supercruise and Super Hornet cannot? Is it because Eurofighter is lighter?

Scorpion82

I thought Eurofighter's two EJ-200 engines generate 30000 pounds of thrust each for a combined 70000 pounds of thrust. I just found out the EJ-200 only generates 20000 pounds of thrust giving Eurofighter a total of 40000 pounds of thrust. F/A-18E Super Hornet's engines generate more than 20000 pounds of thrust each for a total of more than 40000 pounds. So, how come Eurofighter can supercruise and Super Hornet cannot? Is it because Eurofighter is lighter?
30000 + 30000 = 60000 ;)

Honestly you state the max specific reheat thrust. Supercruise is the ability to cruise with super sonic speeds at dry thrust. Dry thrust is 13464 lb per engine for the Typhoon. That means some 26928 lb of total dry thrust. It is worth noting that this is the officially given specific figure (sea level test conditions). You have to take into account that thrust may increase with speed, but decrease with altitude. The question is how much thrust is provided at a given altitude and speed. The EJ200 is claimed to be very powerful at altitudes and can adjust itself to the circumstances. The Super Hornets F414 is just slightly stronger in static conditions, but no details are known about the performance at altitude. Fact is the Typhoon is significantly smaller and lighter and that its aerodynamics are much better suited for super sonic speeds in comparison to the F/A-18. All of these factors must be taken into account.
Or to some it up shortly lower drag and a better thrust/weight ratio are essential for the Typhoon's ability to supercruise and they are the reason why the F/A-18 can't do it. Of course other factors shouldn't be dismissed as well. It is likely that the EJ200 is more optimised towards higher altitude and super sonic speed performance at all.

Ozzy Blizzard

30000 + 30000 = 60000 ;)

Honestly you state the max specific reheat thrust. Supercruise is the ability to cruise with super sonic speeds at dry thrust. Dry thrust is 13464 lb per engine for the Typhoon. That means some 26928 lb of total dry thrust. It is worth noting that this is the officially given specific figure (sea level test conditions). You have to take into account that thrust may increase with speed, but decrease with altitude. The question is how much thrust is provided at a given altitude and speed. The EJ200 is claimed to be very powerful at altitudes and can adjust itself to the circumstances. The Super Hornets F414 is just slightly stronger in static conditions, but no details are known about the performance at altitude. Fact is the Typhoon is significantly smaller and lighter and that its aerodynamics are much better suited for super sonic speeds in comparison to the F/A-18. All of these factors must be taken into account.
Or to some it up shortly lower drag and a better thrust/weight ratio are essential for the Typhoon's ability to supercruise and they are the reason why the F/A-18 can't do it. Of course other factors shouldn't be dismissed as well. It is likely that the EJ200 is more optimised towards higher altitude and super sonic speed performance at all.

G'day Scorpion,

In addition to a better thrust to weight/drag ratio, a supercrusing engine has to be able to deal with supersonic air intake speeds and the heating problems that come with dry supersonic cruising. These are two of the major constricting componants on supercruising engines as i understand it, in addition to generating enough dry thrust to stay supersonic. These constrictions mean that a platform like the F35 which was never designed to supercruise wont, even it it might technically have enough dry thrust to do so.

Scorpion82

G'day Scorpion,

In addition to a better thrust to weight/drag ratio, a supercrusing engine has to be able to deal with supersonic air intake speeds and the heating problems that come with dry supersonic cruising. These are two of the major constricting componants on supercruising engines as i understand it, in addition to generating enough dry thrust to stay supersonic. These constrictions mean that a platform like the F35 which was never designed to supercruise wont, even it it might technically have enough dry thrust to do so.
Thanks for the addition. That's what I meant with the "other" factors to be taken into account.

Super Nimrod

In addition, would not the wing of the F-18 be a compromise in terms of drag so that it can land on a carrier at a sensible speed whereas for the Typhoon landing speed is probably not an issue ?