Which is the best army in the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Your not talking about Roberts Ridge are you? That's the site where a Navy SEAL fell out of a helicopter that was taking evasive action. He KIA'd 50+ Taliban after falling in the midst of a Taliban prepared fortification. The Chinook helicopter was attempting to land on the ridge, which intelligence had failed to identify as a Taliban stronghold. Roberts fell off the ramp when the Chinook took violent fire and equally violent evasive maneuvers. Roberts survived the fall (the ship was low on a short final) and was immediately set upon by Taliban fighters. He single handedly KIA'd 50+ Taliban fighters who were firing from prepared positions. He ran out of ammo and was summarily executed by the Taliban (can you imagine the outrage if US forces summarily executed enemy combatants?). A QRF ultimately eliminated ALL Taliban resistance and recovered the body of Roberts who was awarded the Medal of Honor posthumously. Amazingly enough, the QRF recoverd Gordie Shugart's GPS (Shugart was a Delta team member who was killed in Mogadishu protecting pilot Michael Durant) and Michael Durant's MP-5. Imagine, both items somehow found their way to Afghanistan! Roberts LBE, weapon and other personal items were retrieved from the bodies of Taliban fighters.

How good can they be?
Unless your in an elite military formation, just how good becomes a point of subjective opinon.

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
Gremlin29 said:
Your not talking about Roberts Ridge are you? That's the site where a Navy SEAL fell out of a helicopter that was taking evasive action. He KIA'd 50+ Taliban after falling in the midst of a Taliban prepared fortification. The Chinook helicopter was attempting to land on the ridge, which intelligence had failed to identify as a Taliban stronghold. Roberts fell off the ramp when the Chinook took violent fire and equally violent evasive maneuvers. Roberts survived the fall (the ship was low on a short final) and was immediately set upon by Taliban fighters. He single handedly KIA'd 50+ Taliban fighters who were firing from prepared positions. He ran out of ammo and was summarily executed by the Taliban (can you imagine the outrage if US forces summarily executed enemy combatants?). A QRF ultimately eliminated ALL Taliban resistance and recovered the body of Roberts who was awarded the Medal of Honor posthumously. Amazingly enough, the QRF recoverd Gordie Shugart's GPS (Shugart was a Delta team member who was killed in Mogadishu protecting pilot Michael Durant) and Michael Durant's MP-5. Imagine, both items somehow found their way to Afghanistan! Roberts LBE, weapon and other personal items were retrieved from the bodies of Taliban fighters.

How good can they be?
Unless your in an elite military formation, just how good becomes a point of subjective opinon.
No offense but the part about the SEAL seems like an exaggeration to me. How can one soldier kill 50+ enemy single all by himself? This isn't some Rambo or John Matrix action movie. You will have to let the talibans stand in a straight line and spray at them to get 50+ kills. I suppose he wasn't carrying his packs when he fell off? That leaves him with 6 clips of 5.56mm ammo at best. Now please don't tell me he can score hits on a Taliban for every burst he fires. This is just too unrealistic to believe. I have trouble hitting targets at 200 yards on a C-7, so excuse me for being suspicious of the story.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Pathfinder-X said:
No offense but the part about the SEAL seems like an exaggeration to me. How can one soldier kill 50+ enemy single all by himself? This isn't some Rambo or John Matrix action movie. You will have to let the talibans stand in a straight line and spray at them to get 50+ kills. I suppose he wasn't carrying his packs when he fell off? That leaves him with 6 clips of 5.56mm ammo at best. Now please don't tell me he can score hits on a Taliban for every burst he fires. This is just too unrealistic to believe. I have trouble hitting targets at 200 yards on a C-7, so excuse me for being suspicious of the story.
If you look at any number of citations for Victoria Cross winners, Legion of Honor winners, etc... you will regularly see indications of the award holder taking on volume opposition etc...

Although I am cycnical of the Purple Heart award process, I have always regarded the Legion of Honor to be a far more meaningul award where it has to be earnt. eg The UK is very very tough to award a posthumous VC - and the citation must be awarded after multiple validations on the complexity and objectivity of the recipient against enemy odds. My understanding is that the LoH is just as tough and is not willingly given away on purely political "spin" Look at any number of VC winners in WW1 and WW2, Falklands etc and they are amazing personal military feats. I'm certainly prepared to give the benefit of the doubt and actually don't see the numbers as making me question what was achieved. You probably know as well as some of us that individuals achieve amazing incomprehensible feats at those times when all is considered lost and unachievable by lesser mortals - thats why the VC and LoH get awarded. They are sometimes ordinary men who achieve extraordinary things at extraordinary times.

Aegis

Gremlin29 said:
What a heard is the US troops make a mess of themselves,they landed from chopper directly at the enemy point of fire in a persuiting operation.Mortar fire keep pounding at them and inflict many loses! The US cannot keep up the offence momentum on the Taliban and had to call in the Northern Alliance to keep up the pressure!

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
No offense but the part about the SEAL seems like an exaggeration to me.
This action was covered in the news and details have been progressively released to include more info than what was at first reported. Just google search "Roberts Ridge Afghanistan". I have "friends" who were on the QRF and I've seen with my own eyes unequivicable evidence to support this claim.

Individuals who have not served in an elite formation have NO idea just how lethal these spec war types are. While SEALS are not supermen, they are definately a whole bunch of hurt for anyone they do business with. This whole business of American troops being weak cowards who totally depend on technology and the Air Force is one of the best psy-op's successess the the US never had to pay for. :D:

No offense Pathfinder but I seriously doubt your a volume daily shooter. I'm not certain just how much shooting the SEAL's do, but the 75th Ranger Regiment is live fire 5 days a week (typically a full loadout's worth of ammo) , with a full week every 4th week of shooting all day long (thousands of rounds). The SEAL's are probably shooting more than that. They are stone cold killers in every sense of word. Are they that good really? Yeah, definately, they are.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
What a heard is the US troops make a mess of themselves,they landed from chopper directly at the enemy point of fire in a persuiting operation.Mortar fire keep pounding at them and inflict many loses! The US cannot keep up the offence momentum on the Taliban and had to call in the Northern Alliance to keep up the pressure!
Just curious, did you "hear" this, or was this an actual news item?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Aegis said:
The fact that you haven't understood the role of the Northern Alliance in the scheme of things shows that you have only been able to see a limited view of what is involved. The use of the NA was not just a military option, it was necessary. If you can't understand the reasons why, then there is little point in trying to explain the processes involved, as its apparent that your personal view is coloured by other issues.

People who see isolated incidents in the spectrum of outright military capability have either never been exposed to a conflict outside of a parent-sibling fracas, or have never studied history. (or comprehend in any fashion the issues of force on force, nation state against a nation state - indeed the very problems that the UN has problems dealing with)

One other significant point for all of you who have never served in a military - exit reports are diluted when presented to the public, it is not until years later that regimental reports etc are released which are far more specific than what was presented to the media. ;)

Considering the fact that some journos still call frigates "battleships" and sometimes call C130's "bombers" and you can understand why things detailed in the press are sometimes embarassingly incorrect.

recent "close to home" examples. I'm sure that Gremlin and Highsea can provide US examples.

Pakistan Air Force Purchases
Indian Air Force Purchases
Chinese Miles type system being presented as a new generation laser gun
:help
Press reports on Alfa and Vympel at Beslan.

redsoulja

Gremlin29 said:
They are stone cold killers in every sense of word. Are they that good really? Yeah, definately, they are.
regardless of this they dont have or have enough of that spark or motivation that ideological terrorists have, that ability to give their life for the cause
it is amazing how ideology can make one become efficient and coldbloodes
ppl living in extremely materialist contries usuually dont have that spark
(lol there are no ancient american warriors)

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
regardless of this they dont have or have enough of that spark or motivation that ideological terrorists have, that ability to give their life for the cause
it is amazing how ideology can make one become efficient and coldbloodes
ppl living in extremely materialist contries usuually dont have that spark
On the contrary, if you examine the qualities necessary to complete Navy SEAL training you will see a motivation only known in the most elite of the elite spec war communities. Ideological motivation is not limited by religion my friend. A SEAL, (SAS, SASR, etc) not only posess such motivation, they are also highly intelligent (definately NOT a requirement for a terrorist), highly trained (unlike a terrorist) and well equipped (unlike a terrorist). They do not speciallize in terrorizing old men, women or children but rather are trained to neutralize armed threats.

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
Gremlin29 said:
This action was covered in the news and details have been progressively released to include more info than what was at first reported. Just google search "Roberts Ridge Afghanistan". I have "friends" who were on the QRF and I've seen with my own eyes unequivicable evidence to support this claim.

Individuals who have not served in an elite formation have NO idea just how lethal these spec war types are. While SEALS are not supermen, they are definately a whole bunch of hurt for anyone they do business with. This whole business of American troops being weak cowards who totally depend on technology and the Air Force is one of the best psy-op's successess the the US never had to pay for. :D:

No offense Pathfinder but I seriously doubt your a volume daily shooter. I'm not certain just how much shooting the SEAL's do, but the 75th Ranger Regiment is live fire 5 days a week (typically a full loadout's worth of ammo) , with a full week every 4th week of shooting all day long (thousands of rounds). The SEAL's are probably shooting more than that. They are stone cold killers in every sense of word. Are they that good really? Yeah, definately, they are.
Non taken, and you are quite right about I'm not a very good shooter. I'm in the army reserve so I only shoot once in awhile.

But despite that fact that SEALS got LOT better shooting skill than I do, I still have a hard time believing in the story. It was stated that he was using a belt fed machine gun which I presume is a M-60. As stated in CNN.com, an classified report estimate, not the word ESTIMATE, he held off the Talibans for 30 minutes but did not give how number of kills he scored.

Link:http://archives.cnn.com/2002/US/05/17/ret.seal.death/index.html

I might be wrong, but I'm no complete stranger to SpecOp community. I know a korean friend who had served 5 years in the French Foreign Legion in a para regiment.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Pathfinder-X said:
It was stated that he was using a belt fed machine gun which I presume is a M-60. As stated in CNN.com, an classified report estimate, not the word ESTIMATE, he held off the Talibans for 30 minutes but did not give how number of kills he scored.
He could have been using the US version of the Minimi.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Belt fed could be M-60 (with a fore grip they fire them from the shoulder like a rifle, yeah it sounds incredible but it's verifiable), Minimi can fire magazines, M16 magazines, and a few different belt fed configurations. Again like the M60 some of the SEAL teams have them configured to fire ala a standard rifle. They also use Stoners, and a bunch of other non-standard and sometimes one of a kind custom built weapons. Roberts expended all of his ammo including his sidearm and was wounded prior to firing off his last round.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Pathfinder-X said:
gf0012-aust said:
He could have been using the US version of the Minimi.
The U.S squad automatic weapon is magagzine fed in most cases.
But we are talking about SEALs. It would be hard to draw a picture without access to the sitreps. Specops teams don't normally go in heavy. That is normally a platoons job that has been tasked for extractions etc... The priority is fire control and suppression, not dominance. So it would be interesting to see what the Op loadout was.

SEALs certainly carry heavier loadouts than say a typical SAS/SASR recon patrol. But their tasking are generally different. We have a differing doctrine approach. A-D could fill in the blanks.

Aegis

Gremlin29 said:
Just curious, did you "hear" this, or was this an actual news item?
Happen during Operation Anaconda 'Objective Ginger' in 2002. Battle in Tora Boro Mountain! See it in CNN news.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Objective Ginger, Operation Anaconda

Waged from March 1-16, Operation Anaconda pitted three U.S. infantry battalions against an undetermined number of al Qaeda terrorists in the notorious Shahi Kot Valley near Gardez, Afghanistan.

In the fiercest fighting yet in the war on terrorism, more than 1,700 soldiers of the 1st Bn., 87th Inf. Regt., 10th Mt. Div. and the 1st and 2nd battalions of the 187th Inf. Regt., 101st Airborne Div. battled at altitudes of 9,000 feet. Also engaged was an assortment of U.S. special operations troops, as well as 100 members of the Australian Special Air Service (SAS).

The Shahi Kot Valley--meaning "The Place of the King"--is an ancient redoubt for Afghan guerrillas on the run. It contained, for the Americans, two objectives tagged Remington and Ginger. All but the seventh landing zone in the valley was secured smoothly.

Objective Ginger proved a tough nut to crack. Assigned to C Co., 1st Bn., 87th Regt., securing this bit of high ground turned into an 18-hour ordeal. The 2nd Platoon nicknamed one of its more imposing features "Hell's Halfpipe."

In the end, heavy fire--including an intense mortar barrage--forced the nighttime evacuation of C Company. The unit escaped with 28 of its 86 men wounded, but none were killed.

Such good fortune did not befall helicopter-borne special operations troops inserted east of Objective Ginger. A rocket-propelled grenade hit one helicopter; losing a SEAL team member in the process. The al Qaeda quickly executed him.

When a rescue/recovery team was inserted into the hot landing zone, it was ambushed. The team withstood repeated assaults for 12 hours and inflicted heavy casualties on the enemy. Six more Americans, however, were KIA: three Rangers, an Air Force combat controller and a pararescueman and an Army 160th aviator. A Green Beret died earlier.

From those in the midst of the firefights came high praise for the crews of the six Apache helicopters of A Co., 3rd Bn., 101st Aviation Regt. that provided support. This was especially true in Charlie Company's case.

By the time the 17-day operation was declared officially over, it was unclear how many terrorists were killed. The casualty toll went up and down, but the latest media report put the al Qaeda and Taliban body count at 340.

GIs, with Sept. 11 still fresh on their minds, are anxious to increase the count. As Sgt. Maj. Iuniasolua Savusa told the Army Times, "They're [al Qaeda] out here to martyr themselves, and we've got trained soldiers who can help them out"

A Washington Post editorial succinctly summed up the American sacrifices made thus far in the war: "The battle these men died in ... is essential to the Afghan campaign. Americans watching the sad progress of coffins from Afghanistan should add something else: gratitude."

American War Fatalities

Mar. 2, Army CWO Stanley L Harriman, 3rd SFG, Friendly Fire, Afghanistan

Mar. 4, Army Spc. Marc A. Anderson, 75th Ranger Regt., KIA, Afghanistan

Mar. 4, Air Force Tech. Sgt. John A Chapman, 24th STS, KIA, Afghanistan

Mar. 4, Army Pfc. Matthew A. Commons, 75th Ranger Regt., KIA, Afghanistan

Mar. 4, Army Sgt. Bradley S. Crose, 75th Ranger Regt., KIA, Afghanistan

Mar. 4, Air Force Sr. Airman Jason D. Cunningham, 38th Rescue Squadron, KIA, Afghanistan

Mar. 4, Navy Petty Officer 1st Class Neil C Roberts, SEAL Team 2, KIA, Afghanistan

Mar. 4, Army Sgt. Philip J. Svitak, 2nd Bn., 160th SOAR, KIA, Afghanistan

Mar. 27, Navy Chief Petty Officer Matthew J. Bourgeois, SEAL Team, KIA, Afghanistan
Overview.

The aviation support plan included preparatory attacks on two enemy caves, and antiaircraft and mortar positions. Strike Eagles (F-15Es) dropped ordnance, including 2,000-pound bombs, on cave openings near blocking positions Amy and Ginger. Immediately following these strikes, B- 1Bs dropped a string of bombs on "The Whale," a mountain that borders the Shah-i-Kot Valley, to suppress known enemy positions on the ridge. Special reconnaissance units, previously inserted, destroyed an antiaircraft machine gun (DShK) on the ridgeline in the south, known later as the Task Force Rakkasan Tactical Command Post (RAK TAK) Ridge.

Following the preparation fires, the first Apache helicopters swept into the valley to clear the landing zones for the first landing force, 2d Battalion, 187th Infantry (2-187). The battalion immediately came under fire from enemy positions as soon as the first lift helicopters exfiltrated from the objective.

1st Battalion, 87th Infantry (1-87) of the 10th Mountain Division, was attached to Task Force Rakkasan for the mission. Their mission was to occupy blocking positions Eve, Ginger, and Heather. Immediately on landing, they began taking heavy fire between blocking positions Heather and Ginger. Almost all of the landing zones were hot. For the next 18 hours, they fought to reach their objectives, despite al-Qaeda fighters shooting down on them from prepared positions high on the mountainsides to their east, north, and west. They were also continuously shelled by 82mm mortars.

Minefields and accurate fire at the northern entrance to the valley had stopped Afghan forces under General Zia. Taking numerous casualties, he made a hasty retreat back to Gardez--the supporting attack was now the main attack.

Meanwhile, the brigade tactical air command (TAC) had inserted on the small ridge south of the valley. From here, the brigade commander had a commanding view of the entire valley, and was able to get "eyes on" the objective, as well as a feel for the terrain and the tactical situation. However, the TAC was also immediately under fire, and fought back repeated al-Qaeda attacks for the rest of the day.

Company A, 2- 187 was inserted into the battalion's northernmost landing zone. The 1-87 was unable to take its objectives having been split in two by the enemy, and the RAK TAC's position was untenable. The 1-87 had to be extracted and repositioned. The units to the north of Ginger were given orders to move north to make room for air strikes in the south, and to secure the northern landing zones for follow-on forces.

During this course of events, the enemy committed a very bad error: the civilian populous was allowed to move out of the towns, allowing the task force to engage targets at will. The objective (to include the villages) was now declared a hostile zone, and heavy firepower was brought to bear. A B-52 strike was called on a large concentration of enemy fighters in the village of Marzak. In the following hours, the villages of Marzak, Babulkhel, and Serhankhel would bc rubbled by continuous bombardment.

When night fell, the brigade combat team's air liaison officer directed an Air Force AC-130 attack against al-Qaeda targets to provide cover for a medical evacuation chopper to evacuate wounded from 1-87. The majority had suffered shrapnel wounds from the enemy's mortars.

The AC-130 attacked again to support the extraction of the brigade TAC. After the TAC left its ridge, the position was overrun by al-Qaeda fighters. The brigade combat team's seven AH-64 gun ships made continuous turns in support of forces in contact, flying through withering small arms and antiaircraft artillery fire to engage targets--some as close as 200m. By nightfall, five of the seven aircraft were non-mission capable due to damage; many were merely held together by 100-mile an-hour tape. Late on D+I, and into the morning hours, 2-187 and the remaining company from Task Force 1-87 moved north to consolidate their positions. With the responsibility of the battle squarely in coalition hands, the joint task force commander decided to commit the reserve (1st Battalion, 187th Infantry) to take the objective.

On D+2, bomber boxes were established by the Air Force to facilitate faster target engagements on "The Whale," and what was now known as Objective Ginger. Special reconnaissance teams were ordered to use fires to seal off passes being used by escaping enemy fighters. Early the same day, Task Force 2-187 came under intense enemy mortar fire coming from prepared positions on "The Whale." The battalion's terminal air controllers hit moved north to seal off the southern entrance to the valley.

Two companies from the brigade combat team's quick reaction three were successfully inserted into the landing zone secured by 2-187. The task force was ordered to press the attack south toward Objective Ginger. Fire missions continued on al-Qaeda fighters attempting to resupply from stores hidden in the valley. The quick reaction force pressed the attack at night, and early on D+7, they established positions from which they could observe and control Ginger Pass.

On D+4, all 24 AH-64s assigned to 3d Battalion, 101st Aviation Regiment, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), were now on the ground and in the fight. They began conducting attacks and air assault escort missions. They conducted round-the-clock operations, destroying numerous targets of opportunity during Objective Remington.

A new Afghan force arrived on D+5 to resume the main effort. They prepared to conduct an attack with the help of Special Forces teams. Task Force Summit was ordered to attack and seal off the enemy's main escape route through Ginger Pass.

Task Force 64 moved north and east to block the pass from the south. Isolated pockets of al-Qaeda fighters were engaged for the next 3 days, but it was clear that "the back of the enemy had been broken." No more large-scale contact would be made with al-Qaeda forces for the rest of the battle.

Later on D+13, the 3d Princess patricia's Canadian Light was air assaulted into the valley to search the caves dotting "The Whale." This was the end of the battle for Shah-i-Kot and the beginning of "Operation Harpoon."

A

Aussie Digger

If he was in a helo, he could very well have been part of a "light fire team", a role for which specwarries are quite often used, due to their (generally)excellent marksmanship skills.

This usually involves a sniper team in a helo, operator armed with a sniper rifle and a second with a heavier (less accurate) weapon to provide more firepower. I would "guess" that this operator used a belt fed SAW. An M-60 would have seriously limited his mobility. To kill 50+ Taliban/Al Qaeda operators on his own, would have taken a considerable amount of time and he would have needed to move frequently to survive. A belt fed SAW makes more sense in this scenario, of course I don't have any proof...

As to the poster who talked about religous ideology meaning for a better soldier than otherwise. Why don't you justify your statements with some evidence? I personally think that a well trained, professional soldier will prevail every time against a religous fanatic.

A religous fanatic IMHO is too concerned with his/her religion to be an effective soldier. A professional soldier is generally concerned with being the best soldier he can be.

muslim282

Lets all be a little realistic and not hollywoodistic.
NO YANK could kill 50+ taliban alone unless he called in airsupport.
The Panorama program on the BBC about the Afghanistan lnvasion with firm evidence (from american personnel) stated that after 3 days of fighting only 17 bodies of taliban and al-qaeda were found on the tora bora hills. While the american casulties were put at 19 dead at least 80 injured.
The taliban and al-qaeda just melted away so that they could conduct a gorilla warfare against the americans as they new that the odds against B52s, LGBs, missiles, Attack helicopters were not similar odds.
Its humorous what stories can come about when you have the media blindfolded and at your disposal.
Admin: Deleted due to being disrespectful
The americans can talk a good fight when they have the worlds best equipment at their disposal.
Now regarding the Religous fanatic. Well then he wins in my books, because he doesn,t care wether he lives or dies as long as he causes maximum casulties.

Admin: This is part of a report on Pakistani Performance by the UN:
Then, probably out of concern for Muslim sensitivity - almost all Somalis are Muslims - the first U.N. troops that arrived in Somalia were from Pakistan, and they apparently didn't impress the Somalis. Aidid showed his contempt soon enough by referring to the contingent as a laughingstock that was incapable of minding its own security let alone protect others.

It is not surprising, therefore, that Aidid ordered his troops to attack U.N. peacekeepers. Certainly, his choice of Pakistani troops as the specific target makes sense in light of his expressed contempt for them.

Without question, Aidid's attack on U.N. troops is inexcusable and left the United Nations with little choice but to go after him. To forgive the killing of 23 U.N. peacekeepers and the injuring of 59 others would have further imperiled the lives of peacekeepers and possibly caused Somalia to slide back to preintervention anarchy.

Of course, the assault on Aidid is not without cost to the peace process. Though Aidid had com-plained that American officials favored forces loyal to the ousted Barre, he had repeatedly expressed preference for American troops over U.N. forces. Now that U.S. planes have destroyed much of Aidid's armament, that diplomatic opening is closed. And Aidid's supporters now believe that the killing of the Pakistanis merely provided the pretext for neutralizing Aidid. False as such a perception might be, it is an obstacle to peace.

Notice how it's not helpful? Good remember that when you criticise other nations and their forces. There are always multiple opinions that abound

Aegis

muslim282 said:
Lets all be a little realistic and not hollywoodistic.
NO YANK could kill 50+ taliban alone unless he called in airsupport.
Maybe the yank got night vision device! Even the the taliban who stands 50 cm away from the US soldier cannot spot him.That's why they stand blindly like duck for him to shoot! :D:

Status
Not open for further replies.