Which is prefered type of guidance system for SAM

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
the following is the guidance type for SAMs that available today

Radar Guided
IR Homing
CLOS or SACLOS

which do you think is the better one. i'm sorry for not resort to a poll because i want people to explain why they choose the system and not just throwing a dice.

umair

Peace Enforcer
Depends on a number of factors such as the role of the sam, it's operational envelope, the primary targets and so forth.Example: sams such as the stinger sa13 & anza are used by infantry airdefense personnel mainly for targetting high speed low altitude attack aircraft.For these sams an infrared homing head is the best cause of the quick reaction time aforded by these homing heads(3-15 secs) for target aquisition, enabling quick engagement of the incoming threat.Also manpad missiles have to be light weight & heatseekers are the lightest homing heads available.
Similarly aircraft at medium and high altitudes are targeted using SARH sams.This enables accurate and pinpoint engagement of threats which are still quite some distance away.Also SARH allows the missiles to continue on to hit the requisite targets provided the radar lock is not broken.
P.S I remember reading somewhere (probably in the book Defenders Of Pakistan) that the Swedes have developed a laser guided sam which is also in service with Pakistan.Any body care to shed some light on the above mentioned system ? I've forgotten it's designation.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
its the rb-70.

the US, Israelis, and some Europeans also use dual acquisition systems on some of their missiles.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
shamayel said:
No, Pakistan just uses the RBS 70. :D

http://www.pakdef.info/pakmilitary/airforce/sam/bofors.html

And I have never heard of RB-70 before... I thought there was only one name..with the "S".
http://www.sci.fi/~fta/norway3.htm

The OBAT refers to them as RB-70.
The australian army also uses RB-70 and were deployed to Iraq with them for anti-aircraft defense.

perhaps they are an interchangeable descriptor

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think it's Swedish build RBS-70 alright. I've read it somewhere that the pakistan is one of its user.

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
gf0012 said:
its the rb-70.

the US, Israelis, and some Europeans also use dual acquisition systems on some of their missiles.
What do you mean by dual system?

umair

Peace Enforcer
Awang se said:
gf0012 said:
its the rb-70.

It means that the sam system uses two types of guidance systems.One as a primary & the other as a secondary or back up guidance system as well as to improve a sam's aquisition capability.
Example: the improved HAWK used by the Israelis has an image intensified seeker head along with the usual SARH guidance package.This in case that if the radar lock is broken, the airdefense officer can guide the sam to the target himself using a data link(SACLOS) which beems the pictures of the target aircraft back to the controller, who can then make corrections in the flight of the missile manually keeping in view the behaviour of the targeted aircraft. ;)

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
umair said:
Awang se said:
gf0012 said:
its the rb-70.

It means that the sam system uses two types of guidance systems.One as a primary & the other as a secondary or back up guidance system as well as to improve a sam's aquisition capability.
Example: the improved HAWK used by the Israelis has an image intensified seeker head along with the usual SARH guidance package.This in case that if the radar lock is broken, the airdefense officer can guide the sam to the target himself using a data link(SACLOS) which beems the pictures of the target aircraft back to the controller, who can then make corrections in the flight of the missile manually keeping in view the behaviour of the targeted aircraft. ;)
correct, the air to air, surface to air dualies are all electronic though. there is no human in the loop.

umair

Peace Enforcer
gf0012 said:
umair said:
Awang se said:
gf0012 said:
its the rb-70.

correct, the air to air, surface to air dualies are all electronic though. there is no human in the loop.
I stand corrected.I was confusing sam dual guidance with that of AAA systems like the zsu23 and Tunguska which along with radar also have manual target aquisition and tracking.

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
The tunguska? u mean the missile is also being guide manually like in the RAPIER and RBS-70?