Which Defence Magazine(s) do you read?

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Which Defence Magazines do you guys read or have paid subscriptions to?

I read all the free ones, of course! Plus get DefenseNews's paper version as well as FighterJet Magazine, ArmyTimes and when I am not reading any cisco books / IT magazines, I have some time left over for AviationNow.

What about you? Anyone with janes? :p:

EnigmaNZ

Flight International, Air International, Pacific Defence Reporter, Military Technology, International Combat Arms, War Machine, Ground Defence Armies and Weapons, Armed Forces, Navy International, Contempory Fighters, High Technology. Some others I can't remember. started getting them all from leaving High School and getting my first job. Funny, was always short of money for some reason, wonder if it was because it consumed a 1/4 of my income, lol. These days I am inclined to skim them on the shelves and only buy those with articles I wish to keep. Read more online this days. I have a room meters deep in old military mags hehe, can't bear to part with them, whenever I try to sort throught them, I end up rereading cover to cover :D

mysterious

International Combat Arms, Flight International, Defence Armies and Weapons and whatever else I can get my hands on. This year, I'm planning to get a subscription for Airfoces Monthly so lets see what decision I end up making. I've read some older articles from previously released copies and they appear to be well contructed and well organized with quite accurate information on different aircrafts and airforces around the globe. Other than that I am considering Armed Forces and War Machine as well with a few others. You have to keep your budget in mind as well you know. :p

EnigmaNZ

So true, thankfully some were quarterly, some monthly, only flight international was weekly. Its hard to choose when each mag had some wonderful articles, I use to drool over the TOBRUK when it was launched gary/ AD, lol. The web has been a good source of info but you can't beat mags for indept stories.

A

Aussie Digger

I personally subscribe to Australian and NZ Defender magazine, (quarterly) Airforces Monthly (should be apparent) and Australian Aviation (monthly). That's it. Occasionally I might some other defence mag off the shelf if I'm going on a trip somewhere or am bored, but generally I don't buy many mags.

I pay for the Internet already and the info on the net is more up to date... Plus I generally know of any real "scoops" about the ADF from my Army mates prior to it being "released" in any media format, so reading it again is somewhat superflous...

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Most of these I'm on a subscription - some I've got Life Membership so I don't have the pain of annual subs to cough up. ;)

Naval Sub League Journal
JED
C4ISR
Proceedings,
Training and Simulation Journal
Flight International,
Air International,
Asia Pacific Defence Reporter,
Military Technology,
Naval Forces,
Ocean News and Technology,
Aust Infantry,
Russian Defence Journal,
AOPA,
Contact,
Defence Today,
Australian Defence Magazine,
National Defence,
Defense News
Australian Aviation

There's actually a few more on top of this, but you get the general idea.
and then I also have my own military library - approx 2500 hard backed books

:D

ashblackhawk

Banned Member
gf0012-aust said:

I cant believe this !!!
:mad: I think 2500 is really a huge number. Anyway good for you.
cheers :coffee

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
ashblackhawk said:
I cant believe this !!!
:mad: I think 2500 is really a huge number. Anyway good for you.
cheers :coffee
I have a small library in my house - the military section is about half of my overall collection of books. I've collected these over a period of 30+/- years.

needless to say, my insurance doesn't cover the absolute value.

I'm only read an Indonesian local military magazine 'Angkasa'.I don't have a luxury to buy international magazine :( , my med book was quite expensive.

Lulldapull

Banned Member
Dear Pasukan,

This is my first post. That's right, I like to read "Angkasa" magazine and its subsidiary "COMMANDO". I love those nice pics about our military...:D :D :indonesia :indonesia

EnigmaNZ

gf0012-aust said:
Most of these I'm on a subscription - some I've got Life Membership so I don't have the pain of annual subs to cough up. ;)

Naval Sub League Journal
JED
C4ISR
Proceedings,
Training and Simulation Journal
Flight International,
Air International,
Asia Pacific Defence Reporter,
Military Technology,
Naval Forces,
Ocean News and Technology,
Aust Infantry,
Russian Defence Journal,
AOPA,
Contact,
Defence Today,
Australian Defence Magazine,
National Defence,
Defense News
Australian Aviation

God, when I'm in aussie I'm staying at Garys, Asia Pacific Defence Reporter,Military Technology, Naval Forces, I can't find here in NZ now, be too expensive anyway probably. I'm going to bed and dream I am exploring that library.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thats a might huge list Gary... got time to read all? :D Need help?

I received "military and Aerospace" magazine the other day. It's free so it randomly showed up... :p

umair

Peace Enforcer
AFM(my sub)
Air International(my sub)
Warmachine(pinch my uncle's)
Defence Today(pinch my uncle's)
Jane's(Again pinch my uncle's)
Plus I buy Jane's All the world's aircraft at 2 year intervals.
All of Bill Gunston's books and a few assorted type specific books.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
WebMaster said:
Thats a might huge list Gary... got time to read all? :D Need help?
matey I spend my days either reading or flying somewhere (which means reading something on 12 hr flights)

sometimes I just need to read other stuff just to go back to "normal" ;)

Supe

GF: Do you happen to receive World Defence Almanac with your Military Technology subscription? Does it still list the military inventories of nations?

Davyd

Whichever of the ones i can get my hands on.

AirForces Monthly
Combat Aircraft
Aircraft Illustrated
Airliners
Aviation Week & Space Technology
Proceedings
Air International
Flight International
Air Power
Airman
Air Force (association)

And my military library is also quite large, fiction and non fiction both. Though admittingly the fiction has now gotten smaller since i discovered a book trader nearby where i can get oldies for 50 cents and less.

vedang

i like reading ASIAN MILITARY REVIEW,MILITARY TECHNOLOGY,FORCE(it is based on only indian defence),ARMADA,,there r a few other smaller ones also

Gollevainen

the corporal
Verified Defense Pro
At the moment i only subscripe Finnish aviation journal called Siivet (the wings). Also as member of finnish reservist organisation, i recive their newspaper which sometimes has defence articles offboard. I also tend to read all finnish military magazines availple in my local libary. Sad tough no foreing journals can be found here...or least you have to spend considarble time for it...

...but when i graduate to rich engineer, perhaps i can then wider my scale....