Which Assault Rifle do you like?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
The M4A1:

The M4A1 carbine with accessories:

The Colt company developed various carbine versions of the basic AR-15 / M16 rifle since 1970s. These carbines were intended for all markets - military, law enforcement, civilian. US Military (and some other armies, most notably - Israeli Self-Defense Forces) had adopted the Colt CAR-15 Commando and XM-177 carbines during the 1970s and 1980s. But early in 1990s the old idea of replacing the pistols in the hands of the troops with some more effective, shoulder fired weapon, rise again in the heads of the US Military. In fact, this idea can be dated back to the US M1 Carbine of 1941, but good ideas never die. So, in the 1994, US Army adopted the Colt Model 720 selective-fire carbine (basically, a shortened M16A2 rifle), as the US M4 Carbine. This weapon was intended to replace in service some M9 pistols, as well as some aged M3A1 submachine guns and some M16A2 rifles. New weapon was much more handy and comfortable to carry, than the long M16A2 rifle, so the US Special Operations Command (SOCOM) put its eye on the M4 as a possible universal weapon for all Special Operations community. For this purpose M4 was latter modified with the M16A3-style flat-top receiver with integral Picatinny-type accessory rail instead of the M16A2/M4-type integral carrying handle. The other change in the M4A1, when compared to M4, is that its trigger unit is modified to fire full-auto instead of the three shots bursts. Specially for the SOCOM M4A1s US Naval Surface Warfare Center developed a SOPMOD M4 kit, that consisted of the M4A1 carbine equipped with Rail Interface System (RIS) instead of the standard handguards. The kit also includes a variety of the add-on goodies, such as various sights (ACOG 4X telescopic, ACOG Reflex red-dot, detachable back-up open sights), laser pointers (visible and infra-red), detachable sound suppressor (silencer), modified M203 40mm grenade launcher (with shortened barrel and improved sights). The kit also included a detachable front grip and tactical light.

M4A1 carbine (note removal nuts under the detachable carrying handle). Buttstock is fully retracted.

From the first sight, the M4A1 SOPMOD is an ideal Special Operations weapon - handy, flexible, with good firepower. But the latest experience in the Afghanistan showed that the M4 has some flaws. First of all, the shorter barrel commands the lower bullet velocities, and this significantly decreased the effective range of the 5.56mm bullet. Second, the M4 barrel and the forend rapidly overheats. Third, the shortened barrel resulted in the shortened gas system, which works under greater pressures, than in M16A2 rifle. This increases the rate of fire and produces more stress on the moving parts, decreasing the reliability. While adequate as a Personal Defense Weapon for the non-infantry troops (vehicle crews, clerks, staff officers etc), M4A1 is, by some accounts, less than ideal for the Special Operations troops, at least in its present state. The idea of the complete re-arming of the US Army with the M4 as a money-saving measure, also is somewhat dubious.

M4 carbine with older style M203 40mm grenade launcher. Buttstock is fully collapsed.

M4A1 carbine with RIS-mounted forward handgrip and the AN-PVS4 night vision sight.

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
ok now for the modified AK-47 family :D :D

The Galil AR:

The Galil ARM:

Galil Assault Rifle (AR) was developed in the late 1960’s as a result of lessons learned by Israeli desert fighters in the Six-day War (1967) as a modern 5.56 mm version of the renowned Soviet AK-47 7.62 mm assault rifle. Dissatisfied with the 7.62mm NATO FN FAL with which the Israeli Army was largely equipped, as it has always been a poor performer in high sand and dust environments.
Galil tests greatest emphasis revolved around performance under arid-region conditions. The Galil emerged as the clear winner and won the Israeli Defense Award. It was officially adopted by the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) in 1973 after Yom Kippur War (1973). Although also produced in caliber 7.62mm to increase its sales on the world market, the Galil rifle as issued to the IDF is chambered for the 5.56mm.

The Galil SAR:

There are three basic configurations of the 5.56mm Galil. The AR is equipped with a high-impact-plastic handguard without a bipod or carrying handle with the flash suppressor. The SAR is a short-barreled version of the AR model.Its gas tube and piston are shorter than the other models.

Israel Military Industries has by no means decided that their Galil is beyond modification or improvement. For example, they came to realize that, by nature of its length, the Galil was not well-suited for close quarters engagements. Of course, the 9mm Uzi functions well in this arena, but there is quite a disparity between the Uzi's inherent firepower and that of the 5.56mm Galil. One solution that IMI has advanced to reduce size without losing firepower is an ultra-compact version of the Galil.

As a combat weapon, the Galil is used today only in the Armored corps, Artillery corps, and some stationary elements in the Israel Air Force (Anti Aircraft). And the IDF already had enough Galil weapons to last it a lifetime.

The Galil is also intended for sporting purposes, that version being provided with a longer barrel, a fixed stock and is semi-automatic only.

NOW GENTLEMEN...ONE OF MY FAVOURITES:
THE MICRO GALIL:

I think the micro is inspired by the AK-47 shorty....which is seen carried by none other than Osama bin Ladin. :roll :roll

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
attackistan said:
wwo you can cut and paste!
Actually I COPIED and Pasted. :D :D

But I do it just for you guys on the forum...so you can get all the relevant info under the appropriate thread. Thank me later. :smokingc:

attackistan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
shamayel said:
attackistan said:
wwo you can cut and paste!
Actually I COPIED and Pasted. :D :D

But I do it just for you guys on the forum...so you can get all the relevant info under the appropriate thread. Thank me later. :smokingc:
haha im just messing with you :p

sweeeeet smiley

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
ullu said:
Nice stuff guys. Love these toys!!!

Doesn't this thread belong in land forces forum??? :?
Well we can put it there but then we have to conver the pics into their links..which will SUCK :)
So let's leave it.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Good thread.

Moving to Land Forces and you don't have to convert the images to links. Only do that when image is bigger than your screen and scrolling bar shows at bottom of the your IE window.

Thanks

Mehmood

I vote G-3 because it is stable,reliable and affordable. AK-47 is not stable and warms up. It is actually used by poor countries with mountanious terain as it is light and cheap. But we do not have any militants, we have the Pakistan Army. Now AK's range is 350m and G-3's is 750m. The G-3 is thouroughly tested in all kinds of terains ranging from glaciers to deserts. It has a simple mechanisam and is simple to maintain. It can handle telecopic sights. It is made by the world renown rifle maker's, H&K.

attackistan

Awang se said:
how about this one
Aug Steyr, Austria got some cool stuff (glock :/ )

But the bullet is smaller than the AK-47,smaller caliber :(

5.56mm X 45mm compared to 7.62 x 39

lamdacore

In my opinion the G3 rifle is the best. why? well there are several reasons:

1) It has the range of a sniper rifle
2) It has the funtionality of a machine gun

Combine these two things together and you have a dead enemy yards away before it knows you're even there!!!

A

Aussie Digger

I always liked the F88A1 Steyr we were issued with. (Modified Steyr AUG). They were just getting the new M203 40mm Grenade Launcher assembly when I discharged so I never used it, but mates of mine think it's pretty good, especially compared to carrying an F88 AND an M79 Grenade Launcher... I used to carry an F88S which was fitted with a "Wildcat" 3x scope. It made my shooting improve dramatically. The only drama being, it also meant I had to carry an enormous night vision scope and an M72 (known to us as a '66'') anti-armour rocket, normally. I also used an M16/M203 at times and occasionally an SLR (when "playing" enemy). The Steyr was good, but it too required regular cleaning and got very hot when you fired rapidly, but most guns do this I guess and you could certainly live with it. [/img][/list][/list][/code]

attackistan

Aussie Digger said:
I always liked the F88A1 Steyr we were issued with. (Modified Steyr AUG). They were just getting the new M203 40mm Grenade Launcher assembly when I discharged so I never used it, but mates of mine think it's pretty good, especially compared to carrying an F88 AND an M79 Grenade Launcher... I used to carry an F88S which was fitted with a "Wildcat" 3x scope. It made my shooting improve dramatically. The only drama being, it also meant I had to carry an enormous night vision scope and an M72 (known to us as a '66'') anti-armour rocket, normally. I also used an M16/M203 at times and occasionally an SLR (when "playing" enemy). The Steyr was good, but it too required regular cleaning and got very hot when you fired rapidly, but most guns do this I guess and you could certainly live with it. [/img][/list][/list][/code]
which military were you in? and what rank were you, tell me about it :)

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
attackistan read his post in the "Social and Political Forum". In the Members Introduction thread which was started by AK. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

attackistan

shamayel said:
attackistan read his post in the "Social and Political Forum". In the Members Introduction thread which was started by AK. :p
thanks bro :)

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Aussie Digger

I was in the Australian Army for 6.5 years. I was a Corporal when I discharged. I contemplated attempting Selection for Special Forces before I left, but I got into the Police here so I finished up my Military service. I spent 4 years as an Infantry soldier, and did the last 2.5 years in the Royal Australian Armoured Corps. :)

A

Aussie Digger

And to clarify. I actually did 5 years as an Infantry soldier, but my last 12 months was spent in a Recon section as a Recon Scout section commander. I liked being driven around in the buckets (M113's) much more than walking all day and transferred to the Armoured Regiment, permanently (for 18 months anyway...) Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.