Which Arab Country Has Strongest Military?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KGB

If the IDF can't disarm Hezbollah, how can we believe that the Lebanese army of a UN force will? They'd be sitting ducks the moment Hezballah deems them an "occupying force". Heck the lebanese army publiclly stated that it wouldn't enter south lebanon unless Hezbollah was "100% satisfied" with the arrangement. Hezballah will allow the truce and peacekeepers just so that they have enough cover to rebuild and resupply their forces. I bet Olmert's government knows that the peacekeepers have no chance of disarming hezbollah, but it's a convenient fiction because:
1. It allows them to disengage in a messy war and claim a victory
2. If by some unlikely event the Lebanese army and UN peacekeepers do engage Hezballah and disarm it, it would be convenient
3. The peacekeepers will slow down Hezballah's rearmnament (they'l have to be discreet)
4. When Hizballah finally feels it's ready to engage Israel again, and lobs rockets or makes raids, the Lebanese army and the UN peacekeepers would take the blame.

kams

UN force does not have the mandate to disarm Hizbollah. Thats supposed to be Lebanese Army's job. LOL:daz

Subangite

contedicavour said:
Very good question. So far France is sending only 200 troops, while the UN was hoping for minimum 3,000 from France... Isreal doesn't want Malaysian or Indonesian troops... Germany is sending mostly ships and logistical help...
My country's government is still willing to send a few thousand troops, but honestly, if we are alone, we'd be completely crazy to go :rolleyes:

Can Israel stop Malaysia or Indonesia from sending troops to Lebenon? Ultimately the motive for sending troops has to do with the UN request from members for troops, Malaysia/Indonesia are UN members, its inconsequential if they don't have diplomatic recognition, they will be ultimately stationed in Lebenon and not Israel.

I really think more OIC and especially neighbouring Arab countries should contribute to this multinational force. It would be far more valuable for regional contributions than having Malaysia or Indonesia.

merocaine

If the IDF can't disarm Hezbollah, how can we believe that the Lebanese army of a UN force will? They'd be sitting ducks the moment Hezballah deems them an "occupying force". Heck the lebanese army publiclly stated that it wouldn't enter south lebanon unless Hezbollah was "100% satisfied" with the arrangement. Hezballah will allow the truce and peacekeepers just so that they have enough cover to rebuild and resupply their forces. I bet Olmert's government knows that the peacekeepers have no chance of disarming hezbollah, but it's a convenient fiction because:
1. It allows them to disengage in a messy war and claim a victory
2. If by some unlikely event the Lebanese army and UN peacekeepers do engage Hezballah and disarm it, it would be convenient
3. The peacekeepers will slow down Hezballah's rearmnament (they'l have to be discreet)
4. When Hizballah finally feels it's ready to engage Israel again, and lobs rockets or makes raids, the Lebanese army and the UN peacekeepers would take the blame.
Excellent anaylsis, the UN is the meat in the sandwich and a convinent buffer for the two forces.

kams

I really think more OIC and especially neighbouring Arab countries should contribute to this multinational force. It would be far more valuable for regional contributions than having Malaysia or Indonesia.
Yep..its high time Saudi's use all their shiny new toys to some use (thats if they could find some one to use them;) ) Saudi, Jordan, Egypt, UAE, Kuwait etc have to take some responsibility and contribute. I just don't understand why only Indonesians, Malaysians, Indians, French, Italians have to do the job?

Can Israel stop Malaysia or Indonesia from sending troops to Lebenon? Ultimately the motive for sending troops has to do with the UN request from members for troops, Malaysia/Indonesia are UN members, its inconsequential if they don't have diplomatic recognition, they will be ultimately stationed in Lebenon and not Israel.
Well Israel can't stop them, but I bet Israel will not think even for a second before shelling them if needed. In case of French/Italian/Indian, they may think for 2 minutes and then decide to shell them any way...Do you really want your boys to go to Lebanon and get killed from both sides?

contedicavour

kams said:
Yep..its high time Saudi's use all their shiny new toys to some use (thats if they could find some one to use them;) ) Saudi, Jordan, Egypt, UAE, Kuwait etc have to take some responsibility and contribute. I just don't understand why only Indonesians, Malaysians, Indians, French, Italians have to do the job?

Well Israel can't stop them, but I bet Israel will not think even for a second before shelling them if needed. In case of French/Italian/Indian, they may think for 2 minutes and then decide to shell them any way...Do you really want your boys to go to Lebanon and get killed from both sides?
Bottomline, no, I don't want my fellow countrymen to go to Lebanon to (i) separate warring factions who don't have the will to find common ground and (ii) to disarm anybody since this means fighting somebody else's war.

However we all know that for as long as we left Taliban Afghanistan alone, we thought it wouldn't create problems elsewhere. Unfortunately those extremists didn't remain in Afghanistan, as we all know. You may say that the Hezbollahs aren't as extremist as Talibans. Ok, may be. Though the moment somebody from Teheran orders them to run anti-Western operations, they'll do it.

So finding somebody with UN banners to at least calm down the area and act as a guard on Hezbollahs' actions (peacekeeping, not peace enforcing) does make sense. Provided the mandate clearly says we aren't there to disarm anybody, and that whoever attacks us gets kicked heavily, and that we do have some development aid to ensure some welcome from the local Shi'ites inhabiting Southern Lebanon.

Oh and by the way, Israel shouldn't have the right to stop Malaysian or Indonesian troops to join the UN. Because no way we're going to go to Lebanon alone, heck. I just pray Prodi isn't so stupid as to decide that. But who knows :rolleyes:

cheers

.pt

It seems Italy is "available" to lead a UN peace keeping force in Lebanon, but i read today that it has requested an urgent meeting of all UE foreign ministers, to define the " modality" of European forces in this UN mission, its composition in numbers by country and its precise mandate.
This report also mentions a UN document that stipulates an reinforced FINUL, operating under principles of a "mainly defensive nature" but that " allows the use of apropriate and credible force...in case of need". Also this document is reported to say that, beyond self defence, the use of force is authorized to prevent the buffer zone, between the blue line and the Litani river, to be used in Hostile activity, in a proportional manner.Use of force is also authorized to "resist" to atempts at obstruting UNIFIL mandate, and to protect civilians under eminent threat. Comment: So far so good, altough the language used is a bit vague.
Another Un document is reported to say that it´s up to Lebanese Army to assume control of South Lebanon next to the buffer zone and disarm the Hizbollah. An Un official was quoted as saying that "we will not actively seek hizbollah weapons, but if we find any while patroling, we will seize them".
Also he stated that " Our job is not to prevent or come between Israeli atacks to Lebanon, or between any Lebanese response, but to prevent them by other means". Also he states that"If Israel targets civilians, we will tak countermeasures, such as blocking acesses and placing observers, even if it´s very dangerous". Comment: this document is a joke :D
If they´re not there to prevent atacks, then what are they doing there? just watching? also the countermeasures to any Israeli targeting of civilians are not only inefective, but places observers under high risk(hint: of you´re one of them, it´s time to take that life insurance and making your last will).
Overall, from what i can see, and also here in my country, everyone is being very cautious about this mission, and until a clear RoE is defined, no one will commit. And, taking this report for the truth, i would like the language of the mandate to be more clear.
In any case, and due to this last demand by the US to make another UN resolution to disarm Hizbollah (i don´t think it will succeed), more delays are inevitable. Lets hope in the meantime things stay calm.
.pt

kams

Another Un document is reported to say that it´s up to Lebanese Army to assume control of South Lebanon next to the buffer zone and disarm the Hizbollah. An Un official was quoted as saying that "we will not actively seek hizbollah weapons, but if we find any while patroling, we will seize them".Also he stated that " Our job is not to prevent or come between Israeli atacks to Lebanon, or between any Lebanese response, but to prevent them by other means". Also he states that"If Israel targets civilians, we will tak countermeasures, such as blocking acesses and placing observers, even if it´s very dangerous". Comment: this document is a joke
If they´re not there to prevent atacks, then what are they doing there? just watching? also the countermeasures to any Israeli targeting of civilians are not only inefective, but places observers under high risk(hint: of you´re one of them, it´s time to take that life insurance and making your last will).
My feelings exactly. If UN can't disarm Hizbollah and they definately can't prevent Israel from launching raids, what are they doing there? Lebanese army is supposed to disarm Hizbollah? lol and UNIFIL expects to find Hizbollah cadre walking around with arms? Good luck.

However we all know that for as long as we left Taliban Afghanistan alone, we thought it wouldn't create problems elsewhere. Unfortunately those extremists didn't remain in Afghanistan, as we all know. You may say that the Hezbollahs aren't as extremist as Talibans. Ok, may be. Though the moment somebody from Teheran orders them to run anti-Western operations, they'll do it.
I am not saying that we leave Lebanon alone, but sending UN forces on such a weak mandate can not help. The NATO forces in Afghanistan have a clear mandate and ROE. Do you think with the current mandate UN forces will acomplish any thing?

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
There is a whole thread dedicated to "hezbollah landforces" so why are they being discussed here? Is Hezbollah an arab country with strongest military?

KGB

I know that it's OT but the conversation leads to this.

Why not a purely Mercenary/Foreign Legion type force for the UN, not attached to any government. There are lots of people willing to take the risk. Especially soldiers and cops from third world countries. They get risk their necks for very low salaries. They'd be glad to risk their necks for first world salaries. Even Americans are signing up to be mercs in iraq for the cash.

kams

India Mulls Pulling Troops From Lebanon

At last New Delhi is realizing the ground realities and considering pulling its troops from UNIFIL. Hope this is the final decision.

The Associated Press
Thursday, August 24, 2006; 1:26 AM

NEW DELHI -- India is considering withdrawing its existing peacekeepers from southern Lebanon, even as the international community struggles to find troops to bolster forces there, officials said.

"We are considering withdrawing of troops from Lebanon," Defense Minister Pranab Mukherjee said late Wednesday. He added, however, that the 775 Indian soldiers would not leave before the U.N. reinforcements arrive.

contedicavour

KGB said:
I know that it's OT but the conversation leads to this.

Why not a purely Mercenary/Foreign Legion type force for the UN, not attached to any government. There are lots of people willing to take the risk. Especially soldiers and cops from third world countries. They get risk their necks for very low salaries. They'd be glad to risk their necks for first world salaries. Even Americans are signing up to be mercs in iraq for the cash.
Wow, a sort of French Foreign Legion under UN banners. I like the idea. At long last the UN would have a ready deployable force for emergencies. Provided the member countries agree to fund this.

cheers

Whiskyjack

Honorary Moderator / Defense Professional / Analys
Verified Defense Pro
contedicavour said:
Wow, a sort of French Foreign Legion under UN banners. I like the idea. At long last the UN would have a ready deployable force for emergencies. Provided the member countries agree to fund this.

cheers
You are right, how would it be funded, trained and equipped. It would need bases, transport etc..

Conceptually I like the idea, but realistically I don't think it will fly.

Viktor

I think by far Iran has strongest military of all midle east nations.
Hudge missile and selfsuficiant defence industry.
Advanced chemical and biological weapons.
Worlds most advanced antitank weapons and sea mines.
Aero industry that is gaining momentum.
By far most numerous army.
1M regular army and 11M paramilitia.
What do you think!

swerve

Super Moderator
Viktor said:
What do you think!
I think Iran isn't an Arab country. :D

Less than 5% of the population is Arab.

contedicavour

Viktor said:
Hudge missile and selfsuficiant defence industry.
Advanced chemical and biological weapons.
Worlds most advanced antitank weapons and sea mines.
Aero industry that is gaining momentum.
By far most numerous army.
1M regular army and 11M paramilitia.
What do you think!
Problem with Iran is that we can't tell what is true from what is only propaganda. Most of their indigenous missiles are adaptations of Chinese models. Guessing their range and speed is already tough when we're talking of the original Chinese missile, imagine how difficult it is when we're talking of potential adaptations :rolleyes:
Regarding their air force, it is in a pitiful condition with few '70s American F4s, F5s, F14s with who knows what AAMs. Their Navy relies on hardly operational Kilos doing mining operations and on approx 20 FACs with Chinese C802s but very vulnerable to air/helo attacks.
Their army is strong in tanks... though we saw with Iraq in 1991 that big numbers of MBTs doesn't mean strong army.
In my opinion Iran's strengths are non conventional, both in armament (as you mention) and in warfare tactics (I have in mind the Pasdaran). They would be ready to run impressive guerrilla tactics once the regular armed forces would have collapsed under intensive air/missile attacks.

cheers

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
so,having read only this page of this thread,i dont know which is the strongest arab country militarly! Iran is not arab,Syria not in the race,Iraq....not anymore! I would think that Egypt would hold the title by quite a margain!

Izzy1

Banned Member
http://www.meforum.org/article/441

I've yet to read anything else that comes closer to explaining not who has the best Arab army - but the fundamental problems that exist within virtually all military forces in the region.

In regards to the thread, well from where I see it, only one army has now given the Isrealis the run-around, twice now. Hezbollah.

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
i dont think isreal really achieved much in a positive way from this latest stoush.But i think that Hesbolah have gained more cred world wide. But this thread is meant to discuss who is the most powerfull military in the Arab world, and i tend to think that is Egypt.

contedicavour

old faithful said:
so,having read only this page of this thread,i dont know which is the strongest arab country militarly! Iran is not arab,Syria not in the race,Iraq....not anymore! I would think that Egypt would hold the title by quite a margain!
If you want a clear, straight-forward answer, yes, Egypt is miles ahead of all other Arab countries. That's what has been stated by most people on this thread.
However I would suggest enlarging the question to "middle East" vs purely Arab. I would however class Turkey as European and NATO, so leave it aside, otherwise it clearly is n°1 in the area. In this case, the ranking becomes :
1/Israel 2/Egypt 3/Iran

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.