what is this tank?

ASFC

It is a CV90 with a tank turret (the CV90120-T??) as far as I am aware no army operates it.

Btw a quick google search for 'Eurosatory 2006 Cv90' got me the answer-Google is always the best place to start for these questions!

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
CV90-120T? You mean that Swedish IFV with a tank turret? Heh. I love that thing. It's like a pocket size tank.

nevidimka

Thats an IFV? Its sure looks like an overkill for an IFV. Plus with that colour it reminds me of that experimental Nazi germany tank that some1 posted here some time ago, only with a bigger gun.

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
The basic CV-9040 weighed in at 26 metric tons. The CV-90120-T weighs 28-35 tons, depending on the protection package fitted.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
CV90-120T? You mean that Swedish IFV with a tank turret? Heh. I love that thing. It's like a pocket size tank.
Vehicle was actually evaluated by the Malaysian Army but we know which vehicle that they went with, PT91M. That decision more than likely was due to politics.

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
I'ld be happy with an MTVL mounting the turret of the defunct LAV-105 or the Oto-Melara Hitfact turret (comes with 105 or 120mm gun). Just to beat the rush hour traffic.

nevidimka

Vehicle was actually evaluated by the Malaysian Army but we know which vehicle that they went with, PT91M. That decision more than likely was due to politics.
Ok, didnt know that, but this is not a pure tank. How effective is this tank compared to the PT91? Plus the fact that no 1 operates it surely doesn't make it an attractive buy.

And what is the main gun caliber on this thing? looks like 120mm.

Cucullain

The CV90 120 is fitted with a RUAG 120mm smoothbote gun. It has a lower recoil than say the Rheinmetall 120mm fitted to the Leopard 2 so it is more suited to smaller tanks. The only tanks in service which use the RUAG gun, as far as I know, are the upgraded M-60s (Pheonix) of the Jordanian army. The Jordanians also have a proposal to equip their Challenger 1 tanks with an unmanned turret called "Falcon" using the same gun. I have seen some reports that the Jordanians have in the interim replaced the British rifled 120mm with the RUAG weapon in the existing turrets of the Challengers.

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
The CV90 120 is fitted with a RUAG 120mm smoothbote gun. It has a lower recoil than say the Rheinmetall 120mm fitted to the Leopard 2 so it is more suited to smaller tanks. The only tanks in service which use the RUAG gun, as far as I know, are the upgraded M-60s (Pheonix) of the Jordanian army. The Jordanians also have a proposal to equip their Challenger 1 tanks with an unmanned turret called "Falcon" using the same gun. I have seen some reports that the Jordanians have in the interim replaced the British rifled 120mm with the RUAG weapon in the existing turrets of the Challengers.
The RUAG gun was initially developed by the Swiss with replacing the 105mm of the Pz68 in mind (other 120mm guns didn't fit the relatively small turret without extensive turret modifications), so that it got more firepower and could use the same ammo as the Leo2s the Swiss bought. Trialled but never adopted.
http://www.army-guide.com/eng/product1397.html
http://www.janes.com/extract/jdw99/jdw01877.html

Of course, the concept of equipping an IFV with a large caliber cannon to arrive at a light tank is far from new. Argentinia has developed and adopted a Marder-derivative IFV (VCTP) as well as 105mm gun toting derivative called TAM and a 155mm SPGH derivative (using the turret of Oto Melara's Palmaria). TAM weighs about 30.5 tons. In 1973 the Argentine Ministry of Defense drew up the requirements for this light tank, which entered service in the 1980s.

Then there is the AMX-10P PAC-90 / Marine, with 90mm turret, in service with the Indonesian marines. However, I suppose, the AMX-10P could possibly sport the 105mm turret of the AMX-10RC wheeled reconnaissance vehicle. This turret was also used in the CV-90105, the predecessor to the CV-90120 .

Ascod IFV has been offered with a LIW LMT-105mm turret from South Africa and with the 105/120mm HitFact turret by Oto Melara. MCV-80 Warrior trialled with a Belgian Cockerill CM90 two-man turret (recce version) and also with the Rooikat 105 turret (this light tank was proposed to Malaysia, the Republic of China, and Thailand.)

But the Swedes has obviously taken the idea furthest along. Probably with the same needs in mind that spurred the development of the IKV-91 tank destroyer

Last edited: