What is the future for Mig-31?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
He provided no sources, and is contradicted by a quite authoritative source: Moscow Defense Brief.

Programs to modernize the majority of these aircraft have already gotten underway, though financing has to date been insufficient. The state armament program for 2007–2015 projects the modernization of 408 frontline aircraft. As of today the Air Force has received about 36 modernized Su-27SM fighters, 11 Su-24M2 frontline bombers, 10 Su-25SM assault bombers, and two MiG-31 interceptor-fighters. The majority of these modernizations are limited and relatively inexpensive.
This was early 2008. Since then, more modernized Flankers should have been delivered, and possible more modernized Su-24 and Su-25 planes. I doubt more Foxhounds have been delivered but I suppose it's possible. 40 is a bit unrealistic to put it midly.

http://mdb.cast.ru/mdb/1-2008/item2/article3/

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I suppose. Though a modernization order shouldn't be hard to fill even for a relatively broken down facility. Even NAPO, who still can't Fullback production going, managed to upgrade some Fencers.

Haavarla

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I suppose. Though a modernization order shouldn't be hard to fill even for a relatively broken down facility. Even NAPO, who still can't Fullback production going, managed to upgrade some Fencers.

Yes, maybe one of those slooow rate upgrades.
I think the Mig-31 deserves a service extension, depending on what the upgrades involves of course..

I would like it's mission range increased, more weapons stations, newer engines, newer systems overall and maybe loose some tonns of weight too:)

The 2 engines Aviadvigatel D-30F6 is the same that's on the Su-47 i belive.
A lot of thrust, but they just use awfull lot of fuel too..

Last edited:

Viktor

He provided no sources, and is contradicted by a quite authoritative source: Moscow Defense Brief.

This was early 2008. Since then, more modernized Flankers should have been delivered, and possible more modernized Su-24 and Su-25 planes. I doubt more Foxhounds have been delivered but I suppose it's possible. 40 is a bit unrealistic to put it midly.

http://mdb.cast.ru/mdb/1-2008/item2/article3/
Yes I dont have link but belive it or not I have read about 40 modernized MIG-31BM and ongoing modernization to that lvl long time ago ... This new modernization ( some call it MIG-31M2 and some MIG-31BM) you are refering on now is more advanced version of BM modernization than one I mention before althrow they have same name.

You should note that MIG-31 has to mutch different verzions .. from MIG-31/B/BS/F/FE/BM/M ... etc ... so as you see from this BM verzion already existed once before ... and that version is NOT the verziot to witch MIG-31 are now being modernized. This new verzion has brand new radar and one new 200km AoA missile that no one has ever seen ... only words from Sergey Ivanov. :(

Viktor

The BM modernization program is currently in a stasis. As far as I know, there are no major plans or contracts for modernization. I don't know if any will come eventually, or if the Foxhounds will just be phased out as is.
There are plans for modernization of entire MIG-31 fleet by 2020 althrow by the pace they are on to now they will never finished it ... another problem is discrepancy of Russian journalist witch are known to be able to report two similar but still different information about the subject in short period of time without being able to spot any anomaly.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Viktor post some sources. I know about the MiG-31M, but as far as I know there is only one aircraft designated MiG-31BM. Post the plans, and I mean modern ones, about the 2020 date. Post some sources about the delivery of 40 MiG-31BM.

Haavarla

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes I dont have link but belive it or not I have read about 40 modernized MIG-31BM and ongoing modernization to that lvl long time ago ... This new modernization ( some call it MIG-31M2 and some MIG-31BM) you are refering on now is more advanced version of BM modernization than one I mention before althrow they have same name.

You should note that MIG-31 has to mutch different verzions .. from MIG-31/B/BS/F/FE/BM/M ... etc ... so as you see from this BM verzion already existed once before ... and that version is NOT the verziot to witch MIG-31 are now being modernized. This new verzion has brand new radar and one new 200km AoA missile that no one has ever seen ... only words from Sergey Ivanov. :(

The Mig-31 BM that is currently in trials at The 4th CBPiPLS is the NEW Bolsya modernization, Mig-31 BM!

I dont think it's the only one in it's kind, maybe 2-4 others exist, but with some older upgrades possibly.. I'm not sure here, Information is sparse on these Mig-31's..