What is the best looking post war warship?

davros

What is your favourite looking post war warship, mine is the rebuilt Victorious I loved the look of it after the rebuild, i thought all the rebuilt british carrier looked nice. I also liked the County class destroyer's.

Jon K

What is your favourite looking post war warship, mine is the rebuilt Victorious I loved the look of it after the rebuild, i thought all the rebuilt british carrier looked nice. I also liked the County class destroyer's.
Since this is clearly one of those threads which invites exact answers, here they are:

Carriers: Clemenceau and Foch - long, sleek, beautiful lines.

Cruisers: USS Long Beach - beautiful hull, menacing armaments, futuristic conning tower. First post-war ship (carriers excluded) which wouldn't look out of place even today, almost 50 years later.

Destroyers: British County-class. Sleek lines.

Frigates and corvettes: A lot of good candidates. I settle for Soviet Riga-class, very nice looking ship with beautiful hull.

Submarines: Definitely one of the Soviet subs with futuristic conning tower. I'll take Victor-III as it has the nice teardrop-shaped thingie on top of it's rudder.

Small combatants: Soviet OSA-class. Beautiful hull, missile tubes are well integrated and the gun armament isn't creating a clutched appearance.

As you see, 1950's and 1960's are my style :D IMHO, it's only post-cold war that warships began to get the attractiveness back.

Sea Toby

When I think of post World War II warships, I think of ships built in the late 40s and early 50s with their keels laid after the end of the war, and long before SAMs of the early 60s. I like the Forrest Sherman class destroyers which fit this bill. However, not many new ships were built after the war, the new SAMs systems were added to reconstructed war time cruisers. But not too many Shermans were built before Tartar SAMs were added to the design, creating the Charles F. Adams class of guided missile destroyers. And during the time the Shermans were built, larger Coontz class guided missile destroyers, at the time they were called frigates, were built. The Coontz class introduced ASROC, and were the first newly built ships with Terrier SAMs. In my opinion when the Coontz were reclassified later, they should have been called cruisers instead of destroyers.

While I like the British County class destroyers, their Seaslug missiles were no match to either Terrier or Tartar SAMs. So I would have to go with Coontz class, and Charles F. Adams class guided missile destroyers.

bd popeye

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Since I served strictly on carriers in my 20 years in the USN I'd have to say to me carriers are the most magnifcent warships upon the sea.

To me the most beautiful was and is the USS Enterprise CVN-65 in her original configuration. You know ..with that dome on the island. That dome was removed during a re-fit in the late 70s.

crobato

Big and bad --- The Kirov and the Slava.

Destroyers --- Udaloys. I like the forecastle treatment on these ships. Sovremennies. Bristling with sheer menace. Kashin Mods. That mean Cold War look. For the modern look, the PLAN 052C class.

Subs --- Akula I. Why not the Akula II? I prefer the smaller streamlined conning tower of the I, along with the strange pod on the tail, both of whom are changed or removed from the Akula II. For SSKs, I like the German Type 212 because of the smooth, sculpted look with the X tail that gives that sci-fi look. I also like the new Japanese Soryu class for that reason. The Typhoon class is just evil.

Frigates --- All the Lafayette class derived ships for their clean look, including the Formidable class. I like the PLAN Jiangkais for that as well, along with their unified funnel design. Special kudos for the Absalon class. I also like the Korean KDX-II.

The Small Guys --- My favorite category. The top is the Qahir class, made in Britain and used in one of the UAE countries. I like the Project 20380 Streregushy but I hate spelling it. It defines what a modern corvette is for me. Dutch made Sigma class like those sold to Indonesia. Swedish Visby Class, PLAN Type 22 Houbei and US trimaran LCS for their strangeness. For the old and mean, the Nanuchka and Molinya corvette/FACs.

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
Big and bad --- The Kirov and the Slava.

Destroyers --- Udaloys. I like the forecastle treatment on these ships. Sovremennies. Bristling with sheer menace. Kashin Mods. That mean Cold War look. For the modern look, the PLAN 052C class.

Subs --- Akula I. Why not the Akula II? I prefer the smaller streamlined conning tower of the I, along with the strange pod on the tail, both of whom are changed or removed from the Akula II. For SSKs, I like the German Type 212 because of the smooth, sculpted look with the X tail that gives that sci-fi look. I also like the new Japanese Soryu class for that reason. The Typhoon class is just evil.

Frigates --- All the Lafayette class derived ships for their clean look, including the Formidable class. I like the PLAN Jiangkais for that as well, along with their unified funnel design. Special kudos for the Absalon class. I also like the Korean KDX-II.

The Small Guys --- My favorite category. The top is the Qahir class, made in Britain and used in one of the UAE countries. I like the Project 20380 Streregushy but I hate spelling it. It defines what a modern corvette is for me. Dutch made Sigma class like those sold to Indonesia. Swedish Visby Class, PLAN Type 22 Houbei and US trimaran LCS for their strangeness. For the old and mean, the Nanuchka and Molinya corvette/FACs.
Carriers: Victorious post rebuild, or Ark/Eagle don't look so bad either

Cruisers: Tiger class, they just look scary, would have looked even better if the forward 3" guns had been replaced by sea dart though.

Destroyers: Got to be the counties

Frigates: The ANZAC class and Type 22B3 (but there are too many classes to really choose from)

Subs: I'll go nationalistic here and say the Collins class.

harryriedl

Verified Defense Pro
I do like the latest vessels like the t-45 and Horizons

okay: Subs i love the Russian Typhoons

Destroyers: I do like the late T42

Carriers: CVF and the invinables

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I'll go with a differentiation too...

Cruisers: Always found the rebuild of Colbert in its final 1980 version to have rather beautiful lines. Perhaps because they actually went to the effort of pointing the Exocets backwards to hug the superstructure front.
Carriers: Always been a sucker for the SCS concept designs. Hence Guiseppe Garibaldi. Dunno, angled decks look unwieldy to me.
Destroyers/Frigates: Would probably go with the Japanese Minegumo DDK-116s, especially the cleaner pre-78 version when they still had DASH instead of that ASROC launcher. Alternatively F123.
Small Units: Chinese P-4 torpedo boat. Alternatively, the Vosper Ferocity / Brave Borderer design. Yes, i like late 50s lines.
Submarines: Project 945A (Kondor / Sierra II).

Grand Danois

Entertainer
I'll put my frigate entry in as the Peder Skram-Class frigates. Built in 1964 but with a sleek and WW2-ish look to it. A fast and aggressive look. And not so know as some of the other entries. ;)

The namesake of the class made its mark on Danish history by blowing up a summer house area with a Harpoon missile in 1982, the so-called "Hovsa-missil" or "Oops-missile".

As for the more current, I really like the RN Type 45.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
HMS Hood

Clipper Bow Capital ships (eg Musashi, New Jersey, Peter the Great)

USS Midway (the last pre-super carrier)

Richelieu (French WW2 Battleship)

Vittorio Veneto (Italian WW2 battleship)

Gollevainen

the corporal
Verified Defense Pro
Propably pr.61 in all it's different clothes. It's perfect example of soviet "estethic" designing with none whatsoever consideration of how the ship would look like, only that it has all what is needed onboard. It's and ugly and crude but exactly what a warship should be... a mean motherf***er:kar

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
HMS Hood

Clipper Bow Capital ships (eg Musashi, New Jersey, Peter the Great)

USS Midway (the last pre-super carrier)

Richelieu (French WW2 Battleship)

Vittorio Veneto (Italian WW2 battleship)
> post war warship< :eek:nfloorl: