What Infantry Setup Do You Prefer?

Spetsznaz

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What kind of body Armour would you guys like to use? I would prefer Dragon Skin! But the US Military says it bad:( Oh well

What kind of body Armour is the best, what do you prefer.

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Aust cams, south african chest webbing, giggle hat.
GPS, spare batteries.
Silva compass, topo maps of area 1:25000
at least 6lt water, 2 in issue water bottles, the rest in bladders and coke bottles.
hootchie.
cam cream.
this is evaision right?
2 x cs gas grenades, 2 x smoke.
any light inf rifle, styer,M4 R4 AK so long as its in good working order, would prefer 10 x 30 rd mags, but hey, i want to avoid contact, so if i had to only have 5, so be it.
NVG,s
yowie suit 1 or 2 24hr rat packs.
oops, forgot my claymores, x2, and guess ill need a small day pack.
travel light, freeze at night!

reason for cs gas, if someone is chaseing/following me up, trow cs and smoke, set up claymore, let it go and bug out.

Spetsznaz

GPS, spare batteries.
at least 6lt water, 2 in issue water bottles, the rest in bladders and coke bottles.
hootchie.
cam cream.
this is evaision right?
any light inf rifle, styer,M4 R4 AK so long as its in good working order, would prefer 10 x 30 rd mags, but hey, i want to avoid contact, so if i had to only have 5, so be it.
NVG,s

reason for cs gas, if someone is chaseing/following me up, trow cs and smoke, set up claymore, let it go and bug out.
Not just evasion.

However 10 mags, plus all of that? Your not the land warrior, I Say stick to around 6-7 and USE SINGLE SHOOT OPTION:D

What body Armour would you like? And if you could provide a reason why?

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Not just evasion.

However 10 mags, plus all of that? Your not the land warrior, I Say stick to around 6-7 and USE SINGLE SHOOT OPTION:D

What body Armour would you like? And if you could provide a reason why?
minus the yowie suit, all that plus more was realistic in my unit. You could add 200 rds of link for every man, and probably a mortor bomb to everyman when deployed by parachute. We regularly carried double front line ammo. Every section carried 2 x 66mmm a nti armour rockets.
I hate body armour and helmets, if i could choose my own, the lightest,coolest,least restrictive armour would win. same for helmets, if i could wear a cardoard helmet that looked like kevlar, i would choose that. To many times i see soldiers wearing helmets on patrols, looking at their feet!

Spetsznaz

minus the yowie suit, all that plus more was realistic in my unit. You could add 200 rds of link for every man, and probably a mortor bomb to everyman when deployed by parachute. We regularly carried double front line ammo. Every section carried 2 x 66mmm a nti armour rockets.
I hate body armour and helmets, if i could choose my own, the lightest,coolest,least restrictive armour would win. same for helmets, if i could wear a cardoard helmet that looked like kevlar, i would choose that. To many times i see soldiers wearing helmets on patrols, looking at their feet!
really...

I always took body Armour and helmets very seriously, didn't we learn that lesson in WW1:(

I guess if your gonna be a sniper, you will probably not need body Armour:( or in a tank?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
GPS, spare batteries.
hootchie.
cam cream.
this is evaision right?
NVG,s

You would bring a hootchie with you into combat? We're talking about infantry set ups for combat. It's quite obvious that with all gear period, people's list would've included tents, sleeping systems, etc.

I was under the impression that the setups here were what we would wear into combat, rather then say what we would bring with us to the field in general.

Kilo 2-3

really...

I always took body Armour and helmets very seriously, didn't we learn that lesson in WW1:(

I guess if your gonna be a sniper, you will probably not need body Armour:( or in a tank?
The days of trench warfare are pretty much over...

Depends on the mission. Special Forces/SOF operators tend not to wear much in the way of armor or other ballistic protections on most of their missions. Armor's heavy, noisy, and bulky and it gets in the way when you're traveling fast and light.

Plus, for airborne guys the extra weight seems like it'd be rough on their knees on landing and a bit hard to carry in the cramped spaces of the plane.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Additionally trench warfare wasn't overcome by the invetion of body armor but by the invention of the tank. The lesson of WWI is the development of mobile armored vehicles, and the appearence of deep operations doctrines, that emphasize operational and strategic manouever, not tactical survivability of the average soldier.

WWII didn't feature any body armor, but it certainly overcame the limitations of trench warfare.

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
ok, just re-read the start, hootchie was more for my part of the world. Also, got caught up with the evaision operation, (dont know why) but the rest of the stuff remains.
Rank? cprperal (section comander).
Best rank in the Australian Army.
Lead patrols at section level, plan the patrol how you want (to fit the mission statement.)
No other rank gives you DIRECT comand of more troops.
Platoon comander, comands directly 3 section comanders and Pl sergent.
Company comander comands Directly (3 platoon comanders and CHQ)
So section comander for me.

Cadredave

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
ok, just re-read the start, hootchie was more for my part of the world. Also, got caught up with the evaision operation, (dont know why) but the rest of the stuff remains.
Rank? cprperal (section comander).
Best rank in the Australian Army.
Lead patrols at section level, plan the patrol how you want (to fit the mission statement.)
No other rank gives you DIRECT comand of more troops.
Platoon comander, comands directly 3 section comanders and Pl sergent.
Company comander comands Directly (3 platoon comanders and CHQ)
So section comander for me.
Totally agree with you OF Cpl was the best rank that any infantry soldier in NZ had, you are the bee's knees comd directly more men than the CA or CDF still have fond memories of my time as Sect Comdr laid the ground work for today.

Mick73

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
GPS, spare batteries.
hootchie.
cam cream.
this is evaision right?
NVG,s

As for me been a medic we had a few other needs and had to carry other more important bits of kit so I would go with...

DPCU's, Giggle hat and those yank desert boots.
SADF Chest rig and a drop bag
Forget the body armour and helmet...saw too many drop from heat wearing that crap.
Good set of flight gloves
F88C or M4 plus a 9mm Browning (would prefer the Sig 226)
Agree 10x30rd mags for the F88C and a couple of mags for the 9 mil
Something nice and sharp to cut gear off people (I carried a nice Buck with a scaloped blade for that).
No frags just 2 smoke (Green and Red).
Trauma throw pack and medkit
1 x 24hrs CRP (Broken down)
7 L of water...3 in the camel and 4 in the SADF bottles
Ninox with NAD
GPS and Map/Compass (you would be a fool not to take a map)
$20 (you never know when you need a bit of cash)
A spare pouch of tobbaco i/c papers in a zip lock bag.
Cable ties, Electrical tape and some fencing wire
Pruning shears and a set of bull nose pliers
Swiss army knife.
Rain poncho (got to have a bit of shelter)
Hootchie cord

Weight issues are nothing compared to broken kit or running out of smokes!

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
LOL! How the hell did I forget the spare pouch of tobacco!!!!
And the pruneing shears....(securteurs....terible speller)

On K92, our whole section got re-tasks after 2 weeks, and didnt have the oppertunity to top up our smokes :(...so, we were doing some routine patrol near Katherine, and set up a VCP to bludge smokes off passing truckies!:) Truckies were keen to help.

Kilo 2-3

Wait, why the pruning sheers?

Cutting through enemy hedges? Combat topiary? Cutting branches for camo lean-tos? Trail clearing purposes?

Cadredave

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Wait, why the pruning sheers?

Cutting through enemy hedges? Combat topiary? Cutting branches for camo lean-tos? Trail clearing purposes?
Pruning shears were used instead of machetes in the jungle didnt leave a massive trail & were more quiet this lead to the VC nickname of the Grey ghost for our rifle companies in vietnam,

Mick73

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Pruning shears were used instead of machetes in the jungle didnt leave a massive trail & were more quiet this lead to the VC nickname of the Grey ghost for our rifle companies in vietnam,
And they helped if you want a nice cutting to plant so you could pretty up ya OHP. :p:

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
also uses a lot less energy ,and is quicker cutting through heavy undergrowth, in our tropical regions. they will cut through a 12mm vine quietly, and with one cut. machette makes heaps of noise, requires more effort, and more cuts, and moves the whole tree or bush you are cutting.

Chino

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
also uses a lot less energy ,and is quicker cutting through heavy undergrowth, in our tropical regions. they will cut through a 12mm vine quietly, and with one cut. machette makes heaps of noise, requires more effort, and more cuts, and moves the whole tree or bush you are cutting.
Sounds like a good idea as only a very SHARP machete can slice "soft" (non-rigid) vegetation effortlessly. Twines and fern are especially resistant to machete swings. Especially given the usually low quality of the military issue machete.

In SAF we get really crap ones made of low quality iron. They are usually useless except for hacking huge bamboo plant that we use to support camo nets.

I read the devious VC have this technique of pruning the bottom level of foliage in front of their bunker firing slits. This way, their bunker remains hidden but they can see and shoot at the legs of enemy troops approaching unawares.

Spetsznaz

LOL! How the hell did I forget the spare pouch of tobacco!!!!
And the pruneing shears....(securteurs....terible speller)

On K92, our whole section got re-tasks after 2 weeks, and didnt have the oppertunity to top up our smokes :(...so, we were doing some routine patrol near Katherine, and set up a VCP to bludge smokes off passing truckies!:) Truckies were keen to help.
:sickA pouch of tobacco?:sick:sick

So you got smokes of trucks drivers?:ban Just kiding

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
:sickA pouch of tobacco?:sick:sick

So you got smokes of trucks drivers?:ban Just kiding
Yep, exactly, we asked for smokes from truck drivers as we stopped them at the vehicle cheak points! Lucky for us, that most of the truckies smoked!