What happened to this ?

vrus

Indian ICBM ?

Hello everybody.
I have another question to ask of you all. You must have heard of the Indian ballistic missile called Surya, which is supposed to be an Intercontinental with a range between 8,000 and 12,000 km. Obviously, the Indian government denies it. Some sources in the internet say that it will be operational by 2009. Anybody have any more info on this ? What effect do you think it will have on countries like Pakistan and China ? I think they might plan some counter. Don't know what it might be though.

Last edited:

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
Unlike India Pakistan has not made enemies every where...our ICBMs r capable of striking the countries which threaten us the most, hence we dnt realy need to test or counter test any new ICBM, but Pakistan is working on new ICBM, dnt knw if it is superior or infirior to Surya. But I doubt that any of the new Pakistani ICBM would have an extensive range. They'll have improved performance & increase in speed with some other extra features. Range will remain closer to the current existing ICBMs.

A Khan

According to what have read and heard (most rumours) Pakistan is developing a missile with a range at about 3000-4000... i think (my personal opinion) thats so Pakistan can target the Nicobar and Andaman islands. otherwise i dont think that Pakistan would be working on extended range. As Sabre said we dont have enemys furthere away... and dont have any plans of making any new enemies...

But who is India going to target with those ranges? cause China isnt that far away ( i would think 5000 km should cover most of china). so it 8000 to 12000 km it can only Europe?? some country in Africa? or the US?? again not really any potential Indian enemies there so whats the logic behind it?

redsoulja

Well actually many countries like extended ranges such that they possess the strike capability to strike any enemy target from anywhere within their home country. Countries like China have the capacity to store their missiles in their rear, where their enemy can't conventionally target utilizing AC because they will get shot down, these can then strike any enemy base. As of now India is weak because it can only strike part of China with forward bases. Any true ICBM capacility will allow it to attack any chinese city, more specifically the industrially advanced cities on the coastline like Shanghai, from deep within indian territory. China can easily deploy planes and missiles to destroy the Indian nuclear facilities and infrastructure that were created in order to strike China since they are close to the border...

vrus

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The diameter of the world is about 12,000-13,000 km. So if you have an ICBM with a range of 12,000 in theory it could hit the opposite side of the world, i.e the Americas. But I doubt that is necessary as relations are frequently improving! Other than Brahmos, do India have any Cruise missiles that were indigenously developed? I heard cruise missiles cannot be shot down by anti-missile weaponry. Is that true? What else are the advantages of it?
vrus

Pendekar

you can take your fathers shotgun and if you are in the right place and in the right time, u can try to shot down a tomahawk cruise missile and there is a fair chance for u to bring it down...

vrus

So your point is Cruise missiles are crap? Then what is the use of it ?

highsea

Cruise missiles can be shot down, but not by your grandfather's shotgun. Tomahawks in Iraq had an 85% success ratio.

umair

Peace Enforcer
And please for the 100th time. Pakistan is not developing an ICBM, just a SLV is in the works and both share common design and deployment dynamics.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
I was just woundering. Isnt there some sort of an International agreement on the range of Missiles & type of missiles that can be exported? I am sure about the 2nd but what abt the 1st?

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
I see China, Pakistan & India r not the members. So basicaly they will be accountable for any proliferation axcept for the international pressure.

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
:coffee I think the country which have a space programme and have shuttles or satellites in the space is able to develop ICBM's caz the space vehicle need a lot of fuel. i think the same technique can be used to develop ICBM's so there is a chance for Pakistan and India to develop missiles but it can talk a long long time:(

highsea

kashifshahzad said:
I think the country which have a space programme and have shuttles or satellites in the space is able to develop ICBM's...
In general, yes. If you can put a payload in orbit, you have Intercontinental range. But sending something up is one thing, having it survive re-entry and come down on target is something else entirely.

Amal

umair said:
And please for the 100th time. Pakistan is not developing an ICBM, just a SLV is in the works and both share common design and deployment dynamics.
If so india should have icbms we had PSLV and GSLV then why not ICBMs

vrus

It will happen for sure. And it will happen soon. And there will be a lot of changes in the foreign policy after that !

doggychow14

India and Pakistan may not have many enemies that require ICBM but in order to achieve MAD from any possible threat, ICBMs are vital. If is not gaurenteed that a relationship between two countries will be positive for a long time. Countries and allies will eventually drift apart.

srirangan

Banned Member
Yea, but its not if India is going to end up fighting Brazil or Congo or Australia. The capapbility to develope ICBM's is already possessed by us, but currently there's no use to develope and deploy them.

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
India and Pakistan may not have many enemies that require ICBM but in order to achieve MAD from any possible threat, ICBMs are vital. If is not gaurenteed that a relationship between two countries will be positive for a long time. Countries and allies will eventually drift apart.
I think if Pakistan and India develop an ICBM then they are going to have enemies.If they dont have an ICBM then there will be no enemy at that much distances. What do you think about this isant it so

Yea, but its not if India is going to end up fighting Brazil or Congo or Australia. The capapbility to develope ICBM's is already possessed by us, but currently there's no use to develope and deploy them.
Yeah if you show up your ICBM then you may have trouble then there will be a fight against ICBMS and the war against terror will end this can hapen what do you think srirangan;)