Waylander!!!

merocaine

What boggles my mind is when soldiers take photos and videos of this crap. From Abu Grhaib to the German Army these dumbasses need to learn to turn the camera OFF! Nobody would care what one dumb German NCO was spouting in training if no footage existed. The Iraqi insurgenecy wouldn't be as bad if the stupid couple hadn't used a camera
The A G thing was coordinated by army intelligence, the photos were the point, they were used to intimidate (suspected)insurgents into cooperation, to blame the A G thing on a couple of sadistic guards is to miss the point, and to draw some kind of linkage between a drill instructor mouthing off and systematic psychological torture is intellectually dishonest.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I have to agree.
Comparing this incident to torture by sadists is put of proportion.
If seen many much more worse videos from all around the world. Instructors beating their recruits, patrols throwing flashbangs into sheepherds, etc.

The fact that this video caused so much uproar is 50% because of our past and political environment.

BTW, why is the thread title like it is? Wouldn't another title which describes what it is about in this thread be better? "Waylander!!!" is not what I would call very informative besides the fact that I feel honored to be a thread title. :D

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Jup, there are not more or less racists than anywhere else in the west here in germany.

Manfred

I mean the ones like running naked through Paris, painting colored slogans and jokes onto horses, showing the naked asses of a whole company into the camera, etc.
Yeah, that's what I thought you meant. I have no interest in ANOTHER thread on racism, but I like odd pictures. My guys did some pretty rude things, but we never mooned the camera... these days, I wish we had!

100 bare butts next to the sign that says "Welcome to Iraq".... that would have been worth the trip.:p:

Last edited by a moderator:

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I don't find my disc with funny photos but I go on searching.

I think it would really be interesting what photos would exist if digicams, digital camcorders and mobiles with cameras were that widespread during all the wars of the last century.

rickshaw

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Didn't the Germans in WWII have comparable Standing Orders to the Allies which forbade cameras? While many Allied soldiers subverted those orders, when caught their cameras were usually confiscated and their film developed to make sure they weren't spying.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
For sure private cameras were not allowed. Even today in germany cameras are not allowed when you are in a military area (barracks, training facilities, etc.) or on an operation.
But you all know that nobody cares.
The percentage of people possesing a (digital) camera, (digital) camcorder or mobile with a camera inside in a modern western military tends to a minimum 0f 90% in my eyes.
Just looka at the amount of photos which float around in a unit after an oversea deployment or a tour to a training facility.

Soner1980

He forget to put the ammo, yes it is a newbie or doing so like a newbie. But the black people in the world (especially in the Bronx!!!) will not accept this kind of video. But I know black people (Surinamese people) who was also accepting as a joke. But afterwards this kind of video can be pulled to all directions, like in the USA to the bad side.

We Turkish have also jokes of Armenians and Greeks but we tell them that this is only a joke and we shake hands. There are a lot of Armenians and Greeks in Turkey and we live in peace.

But why is this toppic on the video section named 'Waylander' ??? :eek:nfloorl:

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
He did not forget to use the ammo. It is just plain normal belt fed.

As I said before the incident itself is not good but not the biggest problem. The instructor never before showed any signs of racism or brutality. The biggest problem is that this little accident left the unit and made it to youtube.

Soner1980

Yes that is the main problem here. Military vs. Media. Media as a big problem to write with more sensation to earn money from the news on TV and newspapers and the politics to pull it to all bad sides.

Not smart if you put all of the things on internet. On all military places, camera's, audio recorders, etc. must be prohibited unless you have oprovements on paper. No media will enter any barracks otherway.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
They are forbidden.
But in these days with everybody possessing 1-2 cams there is no way to stop the soldiers from making photos. Especially not with conscriptors.

Soner1980

They call it freedom for media.:smoker When I was in Turkey, they saw me with a photocamera, yes it was a mirrorreflex, a prof camera so you can see it at a distance. The first I hear was that I should not come with a camera or else it will be taken from me. And I was at 500 metersaway from the barracks in Egirdir (mountain commando brigade unit). So, when every soldier will work for it, then it is able. But every country, or even every barracks is different. You can never be asure that no one will have a camera with them.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I personally have no problems with cameras as long as they are not used in sensitive areas or not used when your boss says "Not now".

Having no videos and photos from exercises wouldn't be funny.

rattmuff

Lurk-loader?
Since I started to take pictures or short video clips the number of cameras has exploded on my platoon... but during the combat, close combat and MOUT training and also during live firings it could get a bit sensitive if you didn't ask and explain how, why and what the heck you were about to do with that cam.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
For sure you have to ask your chef if it is ok but we never had problems.

In the end everybody, including the higher officers and NCOs, like good video and photo material of exercises.
The key is too make clear before what is allowed and what not.
Heck, during one exercise in our northern regional training center the staff of the centre filmed the whole exercise and cutted it to a nice video for the participating units.

rattmuff

Lurk-loader?
For sure you have to ask your chef if it is ok but we never had problems.

In the end everybody, including the higher officers and NCOs, like good video and photo material of exercises.
The key is too make clear before what is allowed and what not.
Heck, during one exercise in our northern regional training center the staff of the centre filmed the whole exercise and cutted it to a nice video for the participating units.
I have noticed this... during my last exercise our Lt-Col. took some really amusing pictures and video clips without telling us soldiers. Then he showed them on the evaluation in front of the whole battalion. Just can't stop thinking of the diver that got "kidnapped" and how two other divers took down the officer holding their mate with brutal efficiency. (the officer didn't know that those two divers are wrestler and Tai-kwondo champions so he got some bruces)