Visby Corvettes

JBodnar39

I read that the fifth and final Visby is now in service. What will the rest of Sweden's navy consist of? I had heard that they would keep the 4 Goteburg MB in service but the other 10 or so missle boats they had woul dbe decom with the arrival of the new Corvette's.

Am I correct?

Also. I had heard that they were ordering 5 NFH-90 to put on the Visby's. Have those helo arrived yet or are the Visby's operting without an embarked helo?

contedicavour

JBodnar39 said:
I read that the fifth and final Visby is now in service. What will the rest of Sweden's navy consist of? I had heard that they would keep the 4 Goteburg MB in service but the other 10 or so missle boats they had woul dbe decom with the arrival of the new Corvette's.

Am I correct?

Also. I had heard that they were ordering 5 NFH-90 to put on the Visby's. Have those helo arrived yet or are the Visby's operting without an embarked helo?
The Swedish fleet will go down to 11 surface units : 5 Visbies, 4 Goteborg, 2 Stockholm. All the other missile boats have already been deleted.
Btw, the 5th Visby has just been launched, the only fully operational Visbies are the first 2 so far (source : JDW)
NH-90s will be delivered as of 2007 (impossible to deliver sooner, the helo is undergoing final testing). For the moment Agusta 109 are used aboard.

cheers

aaaditya

hey guys i got a few question regarding the visby class:

1)are these the largest warships to be constructed entirely of the composite materials?

2)can they be equipped with the french herakles fire control radar and the aster15 surface to air missiles?

3)would the visby class be offered for export and what would be their unit cost?

contedicavour

aaaditya said:
hey guys i got a few question regarding the visby class:

1)are these the largest warships to be constructed entirely of the composite materials?

2)can they be equipped with the french herakles fire control radar and the aster15 surface to air missiles?

3)would the visby class be offered for export and what would be their unit cost?
I can answer your second question : no. There is not enough space for mini-aegis type radar systems such as the Herakles, and the VLS SAM the Swedish navy has in mind for the Visbys is much smaller than the Aster 15, which would also require the Sylver A43 VLS, too big for this type of craft. Expect Mistrals on a Simbad launcher, or a RAM launcher, nothing more.

The minimum size/tonnage for a ship to have Herakles/Aster-15 is approx a corvette 1,500 tonnes 90+ meters (Classe Comandanti or Israeli Saar V to give you an example).

cheers

Sea Toby

The price for one Visby is probably around 170 million Euros. The Israeli Saar Vs cost more. They are not the answer to Ireland's OPV requirements, which they can buy for 30 million Euros. From the BBC website:
Length: 73m
Displacement: 600 tonnes
Crew: 43
Speed: 35 knots
Hull: Carbon fibre reinforced plastic
Cost: £100m (US$184m)

Sullivan

Verified Defense Pro
Visby cl. Corvettes.

It is not the plan that NH-90 will be used onboard the Visby class Corvettes. It is to heavy for the Ship. The Agusta 109, just recently aquired by the Swedish Ariforce, will be used as Organic Helo by the Sweedish Navy, but still operated by the airfirce.
The NH-90 are planned to replace the Super Puma as landbased SAR and Survaillance Helikopters.
The Weaponsystems onboard the Visby cl. Corvettes are as follows: one 57 mm Bofors APJ MkIII, Robot 15 MkII SSM and 40 cm Torpedoes, SAM are not planned for the class.
(source: www.marinen.mil.se and www.flugvapnet.mil.se)

/Sullivan

Last edited:

isthvan

Sullivan said:
It is not the plan that NH-90 will be used onboard the Visby class Corvettes. It is to heavy for the Ship. The Agusta 109, just recently aquired by the Swedish Ariforce, will be used as Organic Helo by the Sweedish Navy, but still operated by the airfirce.
The NH-90 are planned to replace the Super Puma as landbased SAR and Survaillance Helikopters.
The Weaponsystems onboard the Visby cl. Corvettes are as follows: one 57 mm Bofors APJ MkIII, Robot 15 MkII SSM and 40 cm Torpedoes, SAM are not planned for the class.

/Sullivan
Hi

IIRC Swedish navy was planning to develop naval version of RBS23 Bamse for Visby... Does any one know when this was canceled or is naval version still under development?

Best regards,
Isthvan

contedicavour

Sullivan said:

/Sullivan
I read that Mistral SAMs can be installed in a Simbad or Sadral configuration, although you are right for the moment the Visbies have no SAM

cheers

Big-E

Banned Member
contedicavour said:
I read that Mistral SAMs can be installed in a Simbad or Sadral configuration, although you are right for the moment the Visbies have no SAM

cheers
Do Visbies have interchangable packages like LCS or have they just decided to keep each one for a different mission?

contedicavour

Big-E said:
Do Visbies have interchangable packages like LCS or have they just decided to keep each one for a different mission?
At least as far as the equipment mentioned above is concerned, all Visbies have them permanently (57mm, RBS15, ASW, etc). Though may be some components are modular, I'm not sure.

cheers

contedicavour

Grand Danois said:
As far as I can figure out, Umkhonto is also a possible SAM contender for the Visbys.
Yep feasible. These VLS can fit onto a 50-metre Finnish FAC, so all the more easily on a larger Visby.

cheers

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Big-E said:
You know when I saved it to see it blown up the file was called Wilm...
LOL! Alright, me apparently not speekie kompooter so good...

No, actually I did look if there was some clue in the url (nothing there), so I didn't think that the name of the gif could be "hidden" in the save to disk function. But thanks for the clue.

Btw, to all, plural of "Visby" is "Visbys." ;)

/pedantic

Last edited:

PhillTaj

I recall that when the Visby project was first getting off the ground, the swedes planned to follow it on with a stealth frigate for international operations.....I assume the proposal has been canned?

contedicavour

PhillTaj said:
I recall that when the Visby project was first getting off the ground, the swedes planned to follow it on with a stealth frigate for international operations.....I assume the proposal has been canned?
An enlarged Visby may be built to replace the ageing (but modernized) Stockholm FAC/light corvettes, though I seriously doubt it. The entire surface fleet main squadron will most likely consist only of the Visbys.

Besides, Sweden could be useful in international overseas missions requiring patrol ships smaller than FFGs. Would still be a valuable contribution.

cheers