Varyag Moved to Drydock?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
While on another forum, I found this interesting piece of information. Photos of the Varyag in drydock.

Can anyone confirm this?

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Found this over at Galrahn's blog.

http://informationdissemination.blogspot.com/2009/04/if-chinese-aircraft-carrier-moves-2.html

The ex-Varyag was moved to the other side of Dalian shipyard today, most likely for the purposes of being fitted out. Based on the 3rd photo below, it looks to me (and I am ready to be corrected) that the carrier has been moved to 38.937131N / 121.611831E, which is about a 2 mile trip by sea.
It'll be interesting to see how long it stays in dry dock.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wasn't it bought with the agreement that it will never be used for combat again? And wouldn't they still need some sort of navalied Flanker to use it anyways?

It'll be interesting to see if a contract does eventually come through on re-opening the Su-33 production line.

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Wasn't it bought with the agreement that it will never be used for combat again? And wouldn't they still need some sort of navalied Flanker to use it anyways?

It'll be interesting to see if a contract does eventually come through on re-opening the Su-33 production line.
I'm not quite sure to be honest. I do know that the story is convoluted, supposedly the ship was bought by a Chinese company that wanted to turn it into a theme park (China has several of these already), that company was later revealed to be a sham and now we have the ship being refitted.

The ship may never be fully fitted out as a warship, they may just want it for training purposes before building their own.

tphuang

Super Moderator

I don't know the original condition of purchase, but I can see that there could be some agreement under the table at the time. They certainly didn't want to alarm the world with that purchase, so they would obviously say that it will never be used for combat. But I'm sure the Ukrainians knew that it wasn't meant to become a floating theme park.

As for naval fighter, there are probably two domestic project going on right now. There is the J-11BJ that I think already has a prototype (don't know its flight status), but I think it will probably be similar to the T-10K they got from Ukraine. (They also are likely to do training in Ukraine, it's clear that Ukraine is involved in this. But it's played down to not make anyone look bad.) And then, they also have a project for a next generation naval fighter that is apparently going to be able to do supercruise.

hyalitemarine

not merely a training vessel

Recent (September 2009) photographs of the Shi Lang (Varyag) show that significant resources have been expended to rid the vessel's superstructure of outdated EWS. If the Shi Lang was strictly a non-combat & training platform, there would be no need for the expensive & radical superstructure modifications, as existing EWS would simply be adapted to the existing housings with only minor changes.

Given that the Chinese have bothered with an Island do-over, it is likely that the Shi Lang is more than just a training vessel. The Shi Lang will be fitted with state-of-the-art EWS that requires the radical superstructure redesign. Outfitted in the latest EWS technology, China intends for the Shi Lang to be the equal of any other nation's capital ships, in peace or combat.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would you by any chance happen to have links to those photos?

Toptob

China Air and Naval Power

This guy keeps a close eye on the chinese armed forces. And he thinks they're defininetly doing something with the varyag.

And why shouldn't they? Because they said so? I doubt China cares about that.

hyalitemarine

New varyag pics

It seems that popular opinion has deemed the totally stripped island photo of last month to be a photo-shopped fake, which I agree, since only the single, length wise, image seems to exist.

The correct state of the carrier seems to show about 50% or so removal of the Island, as supported by numerous photos taken by different angles. Some people claim that the Island tear down to this current level is complete and that Island rebuilding with the requisite EWS is underway.

No photos have leaked out as of yet of the hull area below the line of site inside the dry-dock area.

Here's one of the purported latest photos of Varyag/ Shi Lang.

Last edited:

Crusader2000

Banned Member
It seems that popular opinion has deemed the totally stripped island photo of last month to be a photo-shopped fake, which I agree, since only the single, length wise, image seems to exist.

The correct state of the carrier seems to show about 50% or so removal of the Island, as supported by numerous photos taken by different angles. Some people claim that the Island tear down to this current level is complete and that Island rebuilding with the requisite EWS is underway.

No photos have leaked out as of yet of the hull area below the line of site inside the dry-dock area.

Very interesting photo............Personally, I've always thought the Island was excessively large in the first place. Clearly, this is just another piece of the puzzle. Showing the world that the ex-Varyag is going to return to service. As China would have no reason to totally rebuild the Island. Just to turn the ship into somekind of Amusement Attraction.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think anyone of us took the amusement park claims at face value. The question is 1) when and 2) training or actual combat use.

Crusader2000

Banned Member

Did you see these pics?

China Defense Blog: A full scale mockup of the Varyag is under construction near Wuhan.

swerve

Super Moderator
Nice pics. It would be interesting to see if this facility shows up in Google Earth.
Google Earth is not updated very frequently. The pictures of my garden, for example, are a few years out of date.

Someone has checked, & the pictures for that area are too old to show this structure.

Crusader2000

Banned Member
I wonder how the PLAN J-15 is progressing? Is it a direct copy of the Russian Su-33 or a Chinese Naval Development of the current PLAAF Flanker?